PDA

View Full Version : 'Kill switch' dropped from Vista

DrOlaf
December 4th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Well, there you go. Microsoft is to withdraw an anti-piracy tool from Windows Vista, which disables the operating system when invoked, following customer complaints.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7126902.stm

Nano Geek
December 4th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I'm glad they're doing something their customers asked for.

khurrum1990
December 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM
What I don't get is why Microsoft needs this WGA ****. Don't they know that most people r never victims of piracy. Everyone who uses pirated software does so knowingly and willingly because they don't want to pay for it. Microsoft needs to create a better system of stopping piracy, the article is right, there current methods suck.

Nano Geek
December 4th, 2007, 03:33 PM
What I don't get is why Microsoft needs this WGA ****. Don't they know that most people r never victims of piracy. Everyone who uses pirated software does so knowingly and willingly because the cheap bastards don't want to pay for it. Microsoft needs to create a better system of stopping piracy, the article is right, there current methods suck.Actually...
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/29/2256226

MonkeyBoy
December 4th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I had a similar problem when WGA first came out when I discovered that my XP Pro wasn't genuine. I had purchased the PC from a local shop a couple of years before with XP Pro on it already. When I went back to the shop I discovered that the owner had been fined by MS for supplying dodgy software and had sold up and gone. There was nothing I could do about it.

The up side of this experience is that it pushed me from being a windows user who dabbled with linux into a linux user who tries to avoid windows.

Why not try LGA (http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/) if you miss the WGA experience?

D-EJ915
December 4th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I'd randomly get a WGA notification at bootup sometimes on my copies of Windows I got from my school so I know they were legal. That crap just sucked, period.

curuxz
December 4th, 2007, 04:35 PM
The problem is that MS has shareholders...

Their board knows full well that piracy is GOOD for their market share and keeps them at number 1. They know they could wipe out piracy but it would destroy their business model of having windows on as many pc's as possible.

They do however have to make it look like they are doing something to their shareholders so they have to keep coming up with stupid methods of stopping piracy that wont actually work but look flashy and effective.

Its simple business and for customers MS is simple misery because of their tactics

khurrum1990
December 4th, 2007, 05:09 PM
The problem is that MS has shareholders...

Their board knows full well that piracy is GOOD for their market share and keeps them at number 1. They know they could wipe out piracy but it would destroy their business model of having windows on as many pc's as possible.

They do however have to make it look like they are doing something to their shareholders so they have to keep coming up with stupid methods of stopping piracy that wont actually work but look flashy and effective.

Its simple business and for customers MS is simple misery because of their tactics

Exactly, Microsoft could stop piracy in a day if it wanted to, but they like the idea that they r number 1.

gb5uqx
December 4th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Just one more reason, as if I needed one, why I, and a gazillion others are migrating to Linux.
My experiences of XP have been largely favourable it must be said but the restrictive nature of Vista is unacceptable.Linux can be tailored and customized exactly as I want it. It becomes more than an OS it becomes a lifestyle extension and an expression of freedom of choice. Microsoft however is about control.

Just wish I had made the change a long time ago.

lswest
December 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM
haha yea, i usually favor Linux (been using it for what? 2 years now? something like that) and (i'm only 16 fyi lol) in school i generally do things in Linux because it is just so much more stable. Occasionally i am forced to use windows (for school presentations and stuff, they want me to use XP, Mac or Vista:P) and the WGA is the most annoying thing in the world XD like if i want to download a hotfix (of which, generally, i need a lot more for Vista lol) it takes me a while longer cuz the firefox wga plugin never installs right the first time round... (I'm one of those people who usually spends twice as long as the original install after installing Vista hacking or "modding" or just disabling away the annoying UAC things and all the useless services we dont need) Anyways, glad they finally did something...

cipher_nemo
December 4th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Just one more reason, as if I needed one, why I, and a gazillion others are migrating to Linux. ...the restrictive nature of Vista is unacceptable.

I am one of those who will migrate completely to Linux at home when WinXP and DirectX 9 is no longer supported by the majority of new games. Right now I have ubuntu on two HTPC systems, but I forsee moving to it on my main desktop in a year or two.

I'll still be stuck with Windows at work since my job involves writing code using the .NET architecture. On the plus side, a coworker and I are persuading our Software Engineering team to switch from Microsoft Visual Source Safe (which sucks atm) to the open-source Subversion for version control. So even at places inundated with Microsoft products, there is light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Tundro Walker
December 5th, 2007, 03:36 AM
How exactly could Microsoft stop piracy in a day? Sell their OS for $5?

Folks complain so much about what MS can't do (like fixing bugs, defects, etc), that I find it ironic you say they could stop piracy in a day.

mdsmedia
December 5th, 2007, 04:04 AM
"'Kill switch' dropped from Vista"

And here I was thinking "self-destruct" was built in to Windows by default.

boast
December 5th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Why not try LGA (http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/) if you miss the WGA experience?

rofl;

"we're past the grace period. this most likely means the user is a criminal"

oedipuss
December 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Kill switch dropped from Windows Vista.

Pirates still mostly uninterested.
XD