PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading or have recently read?

dimbulb1024
December 4th, 2007, 08:08 AM
I am always looking for new books to read, so I thought I would start this thread to get some ideas.
My most recent new book to me was The Hacker and the Ants, Version 2.0 by Rudy Rucker.
Currently I am re-reading the first three Dune books (haven't read them in about 10 years)

A bunch of my reads (http://www.larsonsworld.com/library/recent_reads.html)

maharbA
December 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Assuming, of course, that you've read all five books in the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy, I've read (not very recently) a good book called The Life of Pi

popch
December 4th, 2007, 08:26 AM
On The Beach - Nevil Shute

dimbulb1024
December 4th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Assuming, of course, that you've read all five books in the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy, I've read (not very recently) a good book called The Life of Pi
HHGG - never made it beyond the first two, I'll have to delve farther into that series. I think I have heard about The Life of Pi. I'll look that one up.
Thanks

ru7hl3ss
December 4th, 2007, 08:31 AM
I just read my first graphic novel... Blankets by Craig Thompson.

Dennis Hogan
December 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Fiction-wise, I've been (re-)reading a lot of Mercedes Lackey lately, notably her collab with James Mallory called The Obsidian Trilogy. Pretty standard swords and sorcery stuff. Re-read Moore's graphic novel The Watchmen not too long ago, too. Great story - if you can 'get past' the fact you're reading a comic book.

Rupertronco
December 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM
It says "All My Reads" is that just since you started keeping track? I can't go more than 3 months without re-reading some Hemingway.

Also, if you're a Dan Brown fan my favorite of his was the prequel to The Da Vinci Code, called Angels and Demons.

If you're looking for a book to change your outlook on existence go with "A Brief History of Time" - Stephen Hawking.

Most of the stuff I have been reading lately is boring + boring = O/IO chemistry.

graabein
December 4th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I'm reading Truman Capote at the moment. "Summer Crossing", "Other Voices, Other Rooms" and "In Cold Blood".

sethvath
December 4th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Black and White in Photoshop CS3 and Photoshop Lightroom, Shannara series by Terry Brooks and Once Upon a Country: A Palestinian Life

prodigalson666
December 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
ayn rand, philosophy who needs it?
read anything by her, change your life!

Znort_Ubern00b
December 4th, 2007, 11:38 AM
reading d Koontz - from the corner of his eye
read j patterson - lifeguard

love koontz king eddings et al.

Re-read Moore's graphic novel The Watchmen not too long ago, too. Great story - if you can 'get past' the fact you're reading a comic book.

classic novel, also wolverine origin is another good one.

LaRoza
December 4th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I just got my copy of the Satanic Bible, reading now.

acl123
December 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Collapse by Jared Diamond

Compares the current state of our "globalized" civilization, at the peak of its prosperity, with that of collapsed civilizations in the past.

Best book I've read all year and its totally changed the way I view the various environmental problems we are facing or about to face.

renzokuken
December 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM
recently finished The Longest Crawl - Ian Marchant

they author goes on a pub crawl from the southerly most british pub (Isles of Scilly) right up to the most northerly (Shetlands) via england wales and scotland, stopping at many noteworthy pubs on the way.

a humurous travel book

PartisanEntity
December 4th, 2007, 02:16 PM
I'm currently reading Western Muslims and the Future of Islam by Tariq Ramadan, very interesting.

Before that I read Non Muslims in the Islamic Society by Yusuf Al-Qaradawi and Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945 by Tony Judt

All highly recommendable.

gnomeuser
December 4th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I have 3 books going right now:

Stephen Hawking - A briefer history of time
Christopher Hitchens - God is Not Great, How Religion Poisons Everything
Bart Ehrman - Misquoting Jesus, The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why.

The latter especially has turned out to be a highly enjoyable and informative read into textual criticism.

Incense
December 4th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Just got done reading Life the Universe and Everything Douglas Adams for the million time, and I'm just starting A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

rune0077
December 4th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Just finished Kingdom Come by J.G. Ballard (as usual with Ballard, rather disturbing stuff, but quite brilliant).

Going to read: Falling Man by Don Dellilo.

Re-read Moore's graphic novel The Watchmen not too long ago, too. Great story - if you can 'get past' the fact you're reading a comic book.

I must have read that a dozen times by now. Not hard to get past it, once you realize that, despite this being a comic, its a hundred times as much literature as 90% of every so-called "novel" out there.

darweth
December 4th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Books books books books books boooks books books books!! Ohh... sorry.

I am currently reading Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith and The World Without Us by Alan Weisman.

Recent reads were:
The Discovery of France - Graham Robb
Light - M. John Harrison
A Handbook of American Prayer - Lucius Shepard
The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Mohsin Hamid

among others.

dimbulb1024
December 4th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Rupertronco,

It says "All My Reads" is that just since you started keeping track?
Yes. It only goes back to October to 2003. Being in my 40's I've read a bit more than that. :)

If you're looking for a book to change your outlook on existence go with "A Brief History of Time
I've had that book for a long time, if fact I was able to see him give a lecture once in Salt Lake City. Pretty Cool

graabein,

I'm reading Truman Capote at the moment. "Summer Crossing", "Other Voices, Other Rooms" and "In Cold Blood".
I just watched Capote the other night and added In Cold Blood to my list of books to read.

prodigalson666,

ayn rand, philosophy who needs it?
read anything by her, change your life!
I was turned onto her many years ago and The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged get pulled out every few years.

renzokuken,

recently finished The Longest Crawl - Ian Marchant

they author goes on a pub crawl from the southerly most british pub (Isles of Scilly) right up to the most northerly (Shetlands) via england wales and scotland, stopping at many noteworthy pubs on the way.
Sound like my type of guy ;)

wana10
December 4th, 2007, 07:23 PM
i just finished world war z. definitley makes for an interesting read.

gn2
December 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM
The Pub Landlord's Book of British Commonsense by Al Murray.

Puckoon by Spike Milligan.

Sky+ User Manual. (Just got it installed yesterday)

fbmx24
December 4th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I would recommend anything by Steve Niles and I just got done reading

Pattern Recognision by William Gibson.

http://www.steveniles.com/

Linuxratty
December 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Autobiography of james Tiptree Jr.
The Starry Rift Tiptree
Understanding Power by Noam Chomsky
Manufacturing Consent by Edward S. Herman and Noam Chomsky
World Orders, Old and New by Noam Chomsky
:popcorn:

bobbocanfly
December 4th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Currently reading

The Catcher In The Rye - J.D. Salinger
and
Macbeth - Shakespeare (Yep, for school, cant find anyone, even on the net, that reads Shakespeare for pleasure)

Tenken
December 4th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Pattern Recognision by William Gibson.

+1. I just finished that one.

Taking a break from re-reading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, with the first 30 Days of Night graphic novel.

eggdeng
December 5th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Edward O Wilson's On Human Nature. Majestic stuff, no punches pulled - you can hear the thunder rumbling behind some of the beautifully written sentences. Take, for example

Because the guides of human nature must be examined with a complicated arrangement of mirrors, they are a deceptive subject, always the philosopher's deadfall. Olé. :guitar:

koleoptero
December 5th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I'm a fantasy book fan. Although it doesn't qualify as fantasy exactly I'm now reading Stephen King's The Tower series. I recently finished reading all the books from forgotten realms and books from Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (Dragonlance, Death gate cycle). I have finished about 60 books this year so far :KS

rune0077
December 5th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Currently reading

The Catcher In The Rye - J.D. Salinger
and
Macbeth - Shakespeare (Yep, for school, cant find anyone, even on the net, that reads Shakespeare for pleasure)

J.D. Sallinger is great.

And get this: I actually own Shakespeare's Complete Works. I didn't need it for school or nothing, I just bought it. Admitted, I read it only sparingly, a few pages at a time, but come on, the man knew how to write.

dimbulb1024
December 6th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I just knocked out "Catch Me If You Can" the book about Frank W. Abagnale

mcduck
December 6th, 2007, 11:50 AM
"Lords of Chaos; The bloody rise of the satanic metal underground" by Michael Moynihan and Didrik Søderlind. Quite interesting read :)

icecruncher
December 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM
the Starwars Trilogy
quite nice, and same as the movies so it get's my imagination working...

de_valentin
December 6th, 2007, 01:34 PM
newest on top

Harry Potter (always good fun)
A book on fatherhood
Going postal - terry Pratchet (great fun)
The life of Pi (quite impressive)
Dark tower - Stephen King (just reread the entire series, I think that the last in the series may be (one of) the best by King)

PartisanEntity
December 6th, 2007, 02:28 PM
The life of Pi (quite impressive)

That was a very interesting and enjoyable read for me.

popch
December 6th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Mutants - an anthology edited by Robert Silverberg, (c) 1974, with short stories from 1947 ... 1972

cyclefiend2000
December 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM
i have mainly been "reading" audiobooks. they make the commute so much more enjoyable.

about 2 weeks ago, i finished up the harry potter series. i had the version read by stephen fry. very entertaining.

just this morning i finished up good guy by dean koontz. first book of his that i have read. i didnt particularly care for the reader, but the story was fairly entertaining. a lot of tongue in cheek type humor.

next up... i am trying to decide between dune, lord of the rings, and another koontz novel. i am hesitant to start lotr or dune right now. it is almost christmas holidays. so i may go with a quicker read.

nat6138
December 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Currently reading The Dark Tower series.