PDA

View Full Version : Did Rockbox kill my iPod?

CSMatt
December 4th, 2007, 03:21 AM
This probably belongs in Multimedia & Video, but this isn't exactly a support question.

I just synced my iPod (4G Color, about 18 months old I think) with iTunes shortly after installing Rockbox. I had added an album into iTunes earlier and wanted to add it to the iPod, and was under the impression that Rockbox would search the iPod's hard drive automatically and find the album. Well, the sync supposedly performed OK (iTunes didn't complain anyway, even though rockbox booted instead of the iPod firmware), but when I update my Rockbox databace, I can't find the new album. After playing around with the settings and restarting several times, the iPod exentually just displayed the low battery icon during an attempted reboot (even though I had charged the iPod completely a few days ago) and went out. It hasn't responded since then (and yes, the hold switch is off). I've plugged it into my computer, but so far I'm not seeing anthing. With the iPod's firmware if the battery was so low that the iPod could not sync you would still see a battery charging icon. Right now I'm not seeing anything. Is my iPod dead? If so, did Rockbox kill it, iTunes, or me? I really don't want to have to hunt down a new 4G Color model.

PurposeOfReason
December 4th, 2007, 03:27 AM
I think you killed it. With rockbox, you just add albums by dragging them in with a file manager, you don't use itunes.

CSMatt
December 4th, 2007, 03:53 AM
I know I can just drag and drop, but I want compatiblity with the iPod firmware as well, so that means iTunes.

CSMatt
December 4th, 2007, 04:43 AM
I just talked with the rockbox support. It turns out that I wasn't holding down the reset combination long enough. And my newly synced album is now in the databace. :)

Now I just have to figure out how to install the iPodVision theme.

Ankhwatcher
May 18th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys! I put rockbox on my ipod and fiddled around with it for a bit, then went away, when I came back the ipod was dead and wouldn't turn on, didn't react to either my Kubuntu machine or my vista machine. So I googled 'rockbox killed my ipod' and got this thread, saw the bit about not holding down reset for long enough and tried holding menu and middle down for a really long time and bang! Apple logo!
-ANkh