PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here a pilot?

v8YKxgHe
December 3rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone here has their Private Pilots License? I've recently started taking lessons and should hopefully have my license late next year :)! If you ever get a chance to go flying in a small aircraft then go for it, it really is amazing, especially above the clouds - it's like another world up there.

FuturePilot
December 3rd, 2007, 07:23 PM
I wanted to go into the Air Force and be a pilot. Hence my username ;)
But then I met a penguin.....:lolflag:

I do agree, it's amazing up there. Breath taking!

gn2
December 3rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
My PPL expired some years ago, I have over 1000 hours in single engines and gliders, did two summer seasons as a gliding club towplane pilot flying Supercubs and Pawnees.

I held an AEI instructor rating for gliders and used to really enjoy taking first timers up in a glider.

The experience of soaring far surpasses powered flight, anyone can fly a plane, it's really easy, but having a good flight in a glider is dependent on finding and exploiting good conditions.

It's almost spiritual and I recommend you get down to a gliding club and have a go at a purer form of flight.

It's cheaper and more sociable too.

Dragonbite
December 3rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
I have the license, but not the money.

Acrobatics is the best (Cap10b (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9-qG9yQpEE))! Also flew a Grob motorglider, a cessna and a mooney.

Would love to go back.

dimbulb1024
December 3rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Just in my imagination when I am running down a hill with my arms spread out ;)

blithen
December 3rd, 2007, 10:49 PM

+1 :KS xD!

mellowd
December 3rd, 2007, 11:23 PM
I want to, but can'f afford it right now. A friend of mine had his back in Cape Town and there was nothing better than going up there and seeing it from the sky.

svtfmook
December 4th, 2007, 12:25 AM
i've jumped several cars at high speeds. does that count?

Paqman
December 4th, 2007, 01:06 AM
If you ever get a chance to go flying in a small aircraft then go for it, it really is amazing, especially above the clouds - it's like another world up there.

I got to go for a ride in an Aermacchi MB-339 (http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/frtypen/Frfotmil/MB-339CB.JPG) when I was a groundie in the airforce. Fantastic!

Also recently flew a glider for the first time. I'd seen winch launches before, but I had no idea what a rush they were. That's got to be the closest thing to a catapult launch off an aircraft carrier.

-grubby
December 4th, 2007, 01:09 AM

+2

Dragonbite
December 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I got to go for a ride in an Aermacchi MB-339 (http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/frtypen/Frfotmil/MB-339CB.JPG) when I was a groundie in the airforce. Fantastic!

Also recently flew a glider for the first time. I'd seen winch launches before, but I had no idea what a rush they were. That's got to be the closest thing to a catapult launch off an aircraft carrier.

Cooool!

I remember working at the airport (I washed, cleaned and prepped charter planes and club rentals) and an Air Force pilot who was flying by the area (on his way to an airshow I believe) told his mother (grandmother?) to go to the airport on a specific afternoon and he would do a fly-by... in a B1 Bomber! That was soo cool because that thing is HUGE! It's a fair-sized airplort but not huge so it looked like you could reach up and touch it, it was so close!

After it continued on it's way, all we could hear was every car in the mall parking lot across the street had gone off! :lolflag: