PDA

View Full Version : Back and Forth

hkq37
December 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Hi
After a bit of hiatus of about a year I came back to this website and read some of my old posts, and also some posts in the Absolute Beginners Forum.
I read many of the new users problems and empathize with them because it seems like I was there only recently - totally bewildered and frustrated.
So I just want to say stick with it!
Weening of XP is a bit like quitting smoking maybe you might go back a few times but in the end if you stick with it you will learn to live without out it - and feel better for it.

On the weekend my friend asked me to help fix his computer ( actually my old donation running XP ) and this thing was such a nightmare to clean viruses and things off it- I couldn't do it ( I failed ) so I just left it there and said good luck. I don't really like to see anyone go under but I think MS has got some serious serious issues with it's OS's.

At home I have Fedora 8 and Xubuntu on my laptop.
It's a shame Xubuntu doesn't have a decent forum ( there is one but its loaded with spam and pretty sparse). I am pretty happy with Xubuntu - especially the wifi support ( power options still need some work I think )
After a fall out with my usual (Macfanboy) friends, I thought I would post something here.

Vadi
December 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
I'd recommend the friend a xubuntu then, unless he has some critical apps on windows that don't work well in wine =)

MonkeyBoy
December 3rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
I find that using Linux is more like starting smoking. It feels good and after a while you can't do without it. If for some reason you do stop using it you will experience withdrawal symptoms and for the rest of your life you will feel that something is missing.

I need my fix...

-grubby
December 3rd, 2007, 05:12 PM
well you have this forum :D . But to me, quitting using windows was pretty easy, sure it took a while to learn everything, but I was so sick of Windows screwing up I was ready to try ANYTHING

hkq37
December 4th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Hey!!
Thanks for the replies..
I have mentioned it to him a couple of times , but it seems he uses his computer 95% for games also I think he is one of these people who doesn't really care about viruses or computers. I only upgraded his p2 a few weeks ago when I couldn't take it anymore- on the few occasions I went to his house and used his computer. It was really crawling 5 minutes to boot, HDD's reporting imminent failure etc
My WINE experience hasn't been much of a success, sorry to say.
I tried it once with Utorrent - it worked well until it had a window 'vanishing' problem- which was documented and never resolved.
I tried it yesterday to load up one of these Flash-based CDROMS which companies sometimes hand out to tout their products- it was pretty slow and then crashed out after a while.
Oh well..
I like playing around with OS's and I quite enjoyed Slax too.
I formatted my HDD recently to HFS+ to try another OS but then found I couldn't re-install Windows ( straight over the top ) and I really needed an OS for the next coming day so I just put Xubuntu on and it's still going
All of this has really been helpful for me to charter the often treacherous waters of disk partitioning and management.

Vadi
December 4th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Deluge for torrents rocks