PDA

View Full Version : If anyone else sends me an XLSX file I will ...

thisllub
December 3rd, 2007, 04:14 AM
Finish the sentence.

No profanity allowed.

50words
December 3rd, 2007, 04:26 AM
. . . open it using Excel 2007.

bash
December 3rd, 2007, 04:35 AM
... perform excorcism on the computer and hope that RMS never finds out I was in touch with the devil. Nah just kidding ;)

ruibernardo
December 3rd, 2007, 04:46 AM
I thought that openoffice 2.3 in Gutsy could read them...

Apparently we must wait until 2008 for that. Read the last section of this page (http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/mwiki/index.php?title=Documentation/FAQ/General) - there are alternatives to open xlsx files in that section too.

Vadi
December 3rd, 2007, 04:49 AM
Tell them to convert it to a format my ubuntu can open.

kevdog
December 3rd, 2007, 06:03 AM
What's XLSX??

I guess I haven't had to worry about this problem yet!

FuturePilot
December 3rd, 2007, 06:11 AM
What's XLSX??

I guess I haven't had to worry about this problem yet!
Enjoy it while you can! :lolflag:

baxterdog
December 3rd, 2007, 06:23 AM
I've sent files as .odt and also sent the link to OpenOffice and been called a renegade. Just trying to follow the international rule on open format. Apparently it does't work.

Vadi
December 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Yeah it does. That's just how it's starting to work (I wouldn't send the link to openoffice along with it, though. Only give it to them when they ask. Otherwise, yeah, it does look weird - "here, have this file, and here's a program to open it")

baxterdog
December 6th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Vadi, you're absolutely right. Looking back over my post it did seem kinda weird to shove that down their throats. I've got coworkers that have asked if I'm using office2007 yet. I reply that I'm not even using officexp yet.

So now I send files out in both .odt and .pdf formats. The recipients can read them but have to use OSS to alter the original.

aroth87
December 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I've opened .xlsx files with OpenOffice 2.3. Also .docx files. I could open them and print them which is all I was looking to do. YMMV.

Adam

Pekkalainen
December 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Forgive me Stallman for I have sinned [-o<

I have been in that situation. I told the person who sent it to convert it to something readable. That turned out to be an older version of the Excel format that I later converted into OpenOffice.org format.