PDA

View Full Version : How to get frequent users in my Discussion forums

-tmz-
December 3rd, 2007, 04:03 AM
I just started new forums aimed at African countries. My forums are so easy to post. Actually, anybody can post (registered or unregistered). I知 wondering whether I should pay people to post or something haha

I知 getting few posters once in a while
My forum is: www.tmzforums.com

How do I get new users?

Kingsley
December 3rd, 2007, 04:22 AM
'African forum' seems too broad. You should probably start by aiming at one part of a region, a couple of countries, or a few tribes. The dozens of countries you have listed in the regions is an eyesore. You could also start off decently by posting interesting topics.

hanzomon4
December 3rd, 2007, 04:49 AM
I just started new forums aimed at African countries. My forums are so easy to post. Actually, anybody can post (registered or unregistered). I知 wondering whether I should pay people to post or something haha

I知 getting few posters once in a while
My forum is: www.tmzforums.com

How do I get new users?
Now I was ready to call to spam on this...

But you got a good site and it really is about Africa. I'd say give it time, communities take a while to build. Don't pay people(I'm guessing you were just joking) that would make the discussion less then genuine. If you're a member of other forums PM some of the members inviting them to your forum.

-tmz-
December 3rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
Yeah..I was joking about the money

I too thought It was broad and thats why I started general discussion forums.

I will probably give it time to grow.

Anyone with with ideas, please contribute. Maybe your ideas can help me and other people as well

Cheers

maniacmusician
December 3rd, 2007, 05:55 AM
Write interesting articles, or collect links to interesting articles about Africa. Write articles about current events in the news and how they're being portrayed by international media, etc.

The type of forum you're trying to build has to be content-based rather than just community based. You can only talk about Africa in general for so long, and you won't have more specific, interesting discussions until you get more users, which you probably won't get unless you have interesting content. So; create content.

And putting it on sites like Digg might help. After you start adding content.

Crashmaxx
December 3rd, 2007, 06:17 AM
Write interesting articles, or collect links to interesting articles about Africa. Write articles about current events in the news and how they're being portrayed by international media, etc.

The type of forum you're trying to build has to be content-based rather than just community based. You can only talk about Africa in general for so long, and you won't have more specific, interesting discussions until you get more users, which you probably won't get unless you have interesting content. So; create content.

And putting it on sites like Digg might help. After you start adding content.

+1

I'd have a homepage with some related news and maybe some articles. Make it look nice and highlight the forums for discussing the news and being the main draw. Find a nice layout for this page and try to have the forum theme match.

UbuntuForums.org doesn't quite follow this, but I believe Ubuntu.com links here so it otherwise does. This has the advantage of technical support to attract users.

bapoumba
December 3rd, 2007, 10:06 AM
Closed for Staff evaluation.