PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a ~£800 LCD 1080p HDTV

Penguin Power
December 2nd, 2007, 11:52 PM
I'm looking for a new TV to replace this ageing old Panasonic CRT loafing in the corner and taking up precious space in my bedroom :P I have around £800 to spend.

I've done a little searching on the web and found the Samsung LE40M87BD to be a good match, does anyone know of this model?

Required inputs are; HDMI for PS3, HDMI/DVI for PC and SCART for UK SkyTV (cable) box. LCD 1080p. If anyone knows of a better model that would fit my specifications and budget...

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2007, 11:56 PM
I did an temp job (1 month) in philips bruges (saving for my 1 year programming/networking course) . The place they make the lcd and I must say the philips aurea looks GREAT.

Very professional and clean factory too.

website;
http://www.aurea.philips.com/

seen the ambilights working in real life: there even better than on the video.

n3tfury
December 3rd, 2007, 02:27 AM
I'm looking for a new TV to replace this ageing old Panasonic CRT loafing in the corner and taking up precious space in my bedroom :P I have around £800 to spend.

I've done a little searching on the web and found the Samsung LE40M87BD to be a good match, does anyone know of this model?

Required inputs are; HDMI for PS3, HDMI/DVI for PC and SCART for UK SkyTV (cable) box. LCD 1080p. If anyone knows of a better model that would fit my specifications and budget...

pretty tough to beat samsung displays at that price.

Penguin Power
December 3rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
I don't think the ambilight thing is for me... plus, it'll be more expensive. I'm only interested in image quality and features really.

Does anyone else have this model of Samsung I'm considering? Why did you pick it rather than a similar Toshiba offering? :)

That's another +1 for the Samsung. I just need to work out what the difference is between the model I have a good review of [1] and the model with the X on the end of it [2].

[1] http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2007/10/20/Samsung-LE40M87BD-40in-LCD-TV/p1
[2] http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/cl/2/TVs?search=le40m87bdx&other_hits=646%3Ale40m87bdx%3B%3B%3B&q=le40m87bdx&ref=redirect

Perhaps the X is just superfluous?

aJayRoo
December 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
I just bought a Samsung LE40M87BD (the LE40M87BDX is the same model) and I am incredibly pleased with it. There is an excellent FAQs thread on avforums (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511377&highlight=m87)
that should give you some detailed information. The picture quality is great, although the factory settings are not necessarily the best, however it is very easy to change these. The TV guide and other menus are a little slow to respond but if you use Sky this is not a problem. I use my Xbox360 through the vga input and it looks fantastic at 1080p. I'm not sure how good standard definition Sky through scart will look as it is a very large screen, my digital receiver (BT Vision) upscales to 1080i which makes a considerable difference in viewing pleasure. The PS3 through HDMI will look totally awesome though!

Penguin Power
December 3rd, 2007, 04:13 PM
aJayRoo, you've confirmed what I read from the reviews... I'm now going to enter the price hunting stage of the tv quest \o/

Dixon Bainbridge
December 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
If anyone is ever buying electrical goods take cash to a shop and haggle. Over the past few years I have managed to get hundreds of pounds off hifi equipment, computer parts, camera equipment, game consoles, just by being persistant and waving cash. Independent shops are easier to haggle with than chains.

n3tfury
December 3rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
If anyone is ever buying electrical goods take cash to a shop and haggle. Over the past few years I have managed to get hundreds of pounds off hifi equipment, computer parts, camera equipment, game consoles, just by being persistant and waving cash. Independent shops are easier to haggle with than chains.

that's because chains like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc CAN'T haggle unless you're talking about a floor model.

Dixon Bainbridge
December 3rd, 2007, 05:24 PM
that's because chains like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc CAN'T haggle unless you're talking about a floor model.

Maybe its different in the US, in the UK, all prices are negotiable, nothing is fixed. Take my Macbook I bought from PCWorld. Horrendous company, owned by Dixons Group, £800 retail... turned up with cash, argued with an assistant, then a manager for 45 minutes, ended up walking away with it for £690. :) Bish bash bosh. If I had held out longer I prolly could have got it for even less.

Penguin Power
December 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
I phoned a local store up, they were asking for £900, i said i could get it on the internet for £770, but i would rather come and pick it up rather than get it delivered from the 'net.

*haggling* and they offered £820. I'm going to phone up tomorrow and speak to the same guy and say I'm about to buy it online unless he can offer me £790 ;)

n3tfury
December 3rd, 2007, 06:17 PM
Maybe its different in the US, in the UK, all prices are negotiable, nothing is fixed. Take my Macbook I bought from PCWorld. Horrendous company, owned by Dixons Group, £800 retail... turned up with cash, argued with an assistant, then a manager for 45 minutes, ended up walking away with it for £690. :) Bish bash bosh. If I had held out longer I prolly could have got it for even less.

yeah, that doesn't fly in the US.