PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu & T60p

PartisanEntity
December 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM
A friend of mine is considering using Ubuntu, he has an IBM Thinkpad t60p. Anyone know of any good reviews on how Ubuntu friendly it is? For example does the fingerprint reader work, the ibm buttons etc..

Thank you

Ocxic
December 2nd, 2007, 11:49 PM
i remember seeing some pakages for the / a figerprint reader, i do beleive you can get it working, a dunno if it'll work out of the box, I have no experiance perdonally y doesn't he try a live cd.

PartisanEntity
December 8th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I would like to give this a bump. If anyone has some good resources on such laptops and their compatibility with Ubuntu please let me know.

mips
December 8th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Thinkpad linux compatibility is generally excellent, I wish I could afford one right now.

The only issue would be to ensure you do NOT order the laptop with Broadcom wireless but Intel but this goes for all laptop brands and with Thinkpads you do have the option to specify the wireless card you want.

A very good resource is ThinkWiki (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki)

Similair to T60P
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_7.10_%28Gutsy_Gibbon%29_on_a_Thi nkpad_T60

Edit: Or google 'T60p Ubuntu 7.10'

PartisanEntity
December 8th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Okay, thanks very much.

He already owns the laptop, he has owned it for half a year now and uses it for work. I hope it does not have the Broadcom wifi card (which I am familiar with).

mips
December 9th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Okay, thanks very much.

He already owns the laptop, he has owned it for half a year now and uses it for work. I hope it does not have the Broadcom wifi card (which I am familiar with).

You could alsways change it for an Intel one seeing they are so cheap if he is unlucky enough to have the broadcom one.

jonzy350
December 20th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I have a T60p, I work for the bimmers, so kinda stock laptop. Ubuntu Gutsy is working fine on mine (there are few gotchas and workarounds but works). Here are the gotchas I've seen:

1. ATI card support is lagging, requires fglrx and xgl-server to get 3D and Compiz tools working, and doesn't support suspend, sleep

2. I don't have a Fingerprint pad..so not sure on that, but have heard it doesn't work yet

3. Speed compared to running Vista and XP is 300% faster with 4GB of ram (yes, the laptop can handle 4G, but you'll only see 3 due to limitations in the video card and OS level 32/64bit)

mips
December 20th, 2007, 05:27 PM
2. I don't have a Fingerprint pad..so not sure on that, but have heard it doesn't work yet

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Integrated_Fingerprint_Reader

This says otherwise.

hotrod6657
February 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I've been playing around with my T60p and Ubuntu for a while now. I had to do the same driver work to get 3D enabled, and i've had endless problems getting dual monitors going, every time i try i break the system and have to reinstall ubuntu lol. (If anyone knows a way around this i'm all ears) That's only really an issue if you use an extended desktop though. Other than that it works very well. The music control buttons and volume buttons work great. I haven't tried getting my fingerprint reader going though.

niko7865
February 20th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I have a T60 and the fingerpint reader works just great after following a few tutorials.