PDA

View Full Version : Buying hardware for Linux is easy

blastus
December 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
Just do your research first. This is an issue with Windows users coming over to Linux--they don't do their research. Hardware support in Linux is excellent but not absolutely everything is supported. No OSX user is just going to blindly buy hardware without first checking if the hardware is supported under their OS. Linux users should do the same. The things I look for are...

1. What have other Linux users said about the hardware? A simple Google search can reveal a lot of information. I look for reviews and especially issues Linux (any distribution) users have had with the hardware.

2. How popular/common is the hardware? The more common the better (this is true even under Windows.)

3. How mature is the hardware? The longer the hardware (and that class of hardware) has been on the market the better. How well-known is the manufacturer?

4. Does the hardware rely on protocols that are not supported on Linux? For example, a digital camera that uses the Picture Transfer Protocol should work under Linux because Linux supports the PTP protocol. However, if camera X uses some protocol Y and protocol Y isn't supported under Linux then I wouldn't buy the camera.

5. Does the hardware require exclusive Windows drivers such that it won't work without the drivers at all? For example, the so called winhardware, like winmodems and winprinters etc... may work under Linux but may require some setup or they just might not work.

6. Is the hardware supported on multiple operating systems or is it exclusively designed for Windows only? Read the box. One indicator I look for is if the hardware works under OSX. If the hardware isn't supported on OSX then I don't buy it unless it is well-known that the hardware works under Linux.

7. Is the hardware made by Microsoft? If so I don't buy it because it is guaranteed that it will be designed for Windows only or have features that are only usable in Windows (and other Microsoft products) and nothing else.

-grubby
December 2nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
yah it is....just stick with HP for printers, NVIDIA for graphics,etc. I have a Microsoft Intellimouse and can't use the extra features which makes me mad (well actually I can open new tabs in firefox by hitting the button on the left side

maniacmusician
December 2nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
yah it is....just stick with HP for printers, NVIDIA for graphics,etc. I have a Microsoft Intellimouse and can't use the extra features which makes me mad (well actually I can open new tabs in firefox by hitting the button on the left side
well, since ATI is releasing full specs for all or most of their graphics cards, the video card recommendation might have to change. If we have full specs, then we can build completely capable open source drivers which are far above proprietary drivers, no matter how good they are.

I believe the coding done from the new specs is being put into the "radeonhd" driver. While it's probably still in an alpha state, I think it'll shape up to be pretty good, perhaps making ATI the video card manufacturer of choice for Linux users.

hanzomon4
December 2nd, 2007, 11:04 PM

Ha! I got that same mouse...

@OP, good suggestions.

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
Good tips, but my microsoft mouse works on ubuntu and other linux distros.

regomodo
December 3rd, 2007, 01:17 AM
sort of. As long as the info you use isn't untrue.

This (http://efficientpc.co.uk/components/audigyse/) isn't ubuntu/linux compatible. At least, not fully (http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Creative_Labs).

Probably the only misguided hardware purchase i've made. Incompatible hardware i bought were chancers i.e the shop had nothing else or not what i wanted

Generally buy from intel and nvidia (although my 8800gt still doesn't have decent drivers). I used to be an amd fanboy and would never have seen me suggest intel, but amd have fallen far, far behind.