PDA

View Full Version : How much does software effect power consumption?

Mateo
December 2nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
I ask because I am considering setting up an always-on file server in my apartment. I'm not sure whether I should purchase a new system for this or take one of my existing computers and simply upgrading the harddrive. If I install a server edition of Ubuntu (or some other distro) will it make a big difference in terms of power consumption? Or is hardware what really matters for power? Thanks for any information.

boast
December 2nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
as long as it is not doing intensive work, it won't matter what distro you run. to reduce power consumption, you will have to underclock the cpu.

sethvath
December 2nd, 2007, 07:41 PM
Personally I would go with an old laptop with raid for use as a home media server. It uses less power than a normal desktop (lower rpm hdd, freq scaling cpu etc)

ssam
December 2nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
they only way to find something out is to measure is. get yourself something like one of these http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html

from my experience, the difference betyween full load and idle on a computer is maybe 10-20%. the best software can do is try to put the hardware into its low power modes.

the difference in consumption between different computers can be big.
120-140 W for a 2GHz dual core xeon.
about 40 W for an old celeron laptop
20-30 W for a G4 powerbook
around 20 W for a Via Epia

2000 W for a kettle