PDA

View Full Version : Evolution or Thunderbird, what is your favourite?

PmDematagoda
December 2nd, 2007, 05:26 PM
This is a thread to find out how many people prefer Evolution as opposed to Thunderbird.

Starting out, I'm an Evolution user and I really like it because it is feature-rich, it is easy to use and it is rather powerful.

I'm not really partial to Thunderbird because to me it seems that it is not as feature-rich or as powerful as Evolution(This is my opinion, so don't start a war about this:)).

So in addition to your vote, please do give a few words as to why you prefer Evolution to Thunderbird or why you prefer Thunderbird to Evolution:).

dimbulb1024
December 2nd, 2007, 05:43 PM
Once upon a time I used Thunderbird and liked it. I use Evolution now just because it comes pre-installed and it doesn't make sense to me to install another email program when I already have one that works fine. (can you say "lazy"?)
One thing I miss from Thunderbird, in Evolution I can't pick and choose which emails I can delete from Trash, it's all or none.

-grubby
December 2nd, 2007, 05:46 PM
I use Thunderbird, I use it because it automatically integrates into GMAIL

PilotJLR
December 2nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Thunderbird - because it is supported with Gmail IMAP

aysiu
December 2nd, 2007, 06:38 PM
Thunderbird does exactly what I want it to and allows me to have four email accounts without one disappearing off the screen.

mdsmedia
December 2nd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Thunderbird does exactly what I want it to and allows me to have four email accounts without one disappearing off the screen.I'll second that. I tried Evolution when I first installed Ubuntu 2 years ago. Having used Thunderbird on Windows before my Linux switch, I wanted a program that would allow my several email accounts.

Thunderbird was soon installed on Ubuntu and has been my choice of email client since.

lyceum
December 2nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
I tried Thunderbird before I really found out about FOSS, I liked Firefox, so I thought, why not. It was terrible! It didn't even have a calendar!?! So when I made the switch to Ubuntu, I used Evolution. I loved it! It had lots of features, it was similar to Outlook, life was good. Well, except that my wife started using Thunderbird on her Mac. She kept telling me how great it was. So, about a month ago she got me to sign up for the Google Calendar, we both use Gmail. She told me there was a Thunderbird extension that would link to it. So I have been using Thunderbird for a month, and I have to say that I was shocked at how good it was! I really like Thunderbird over Evolution, and will not be going back. Thunderbird has themes, like Firefox, and it does everything I need it to do, and looks cool doing it!

+1 Thunderbird

smartboyathome
December 2nd, 2007, 11:03 PM
There needs to be an 'other' option, as I use GMail's web interface.

Solicitous
December 3rd, 2007, 02:01 AM
I did in the past use Evolution, and that I found quite useable. Unfortunately it doesn't handle multiple email accounts as well as it could. So when testing out Thunderbird (during which time I was using mutt) I found it to be the best graphical email client I have ever used. Never looked back yet.

skwishybug
December 3rd, 2007, 05:35 AM
I've bounced from Evolution to Thunderbird to Claws and I'm now back to Evolution.

I like that it keeps everything I need in once place, schedule, e-mail, contacts, etc.

Thunderbird has the calendar plugin, but it doesn't seem to be as well integrated, and the address book is a little lacking in features for me.

AndyCooll
December 7th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I too bounce around between Evolution and Thunderbird. I tend to prefer Evolution merely because it's part of the default install and is a PIM. Thunderbird can provide these functions but at the moment some of them are addons (e.g. Lightning) rather than integrated into the product itself.

:cool:

louieb
December 7th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Thunderbird. Its simple.