PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Buddhist Editon

Pages : [1] 2

Seisen
December 2nd, 2007, 05:10 PM
Is anybody interested in making a Ubuntu Buddhist Edition? I figure we already have a Ubuntu Christin Edition and a Muslim Edition why not a Buddhist Edition. If you are seriously interested in it PM me.

XVII
December 2nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
I don't get the point of all these religious *buntus.

Blutack
December 2nd, 2007, 06:00 PM
Erm...why? I believe the major differing points of Christian ubuntu is a bible reader, artwork and an immoral sites blocker. Not sure about the Muslim version.
What kind of apps/differences were you thinking of?

koenn
December 2nd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Erm...why? I believe the major differing points of Christian ubuntu is a bible reader, artwork and an immoral sites blocker. Not sure about the Muslim version.

Muslim version is similar to CE : custom themes and artwork, web content filtering, a prayer time reminder, Islamic Calendar, a Qu-ran study tool, ...

LaRoza
December 2nd, 2007, 06:59 PM
I don't understand why people have issues with religious oriented distros/derivitives. As a user of Ubuntu SE, I like the choices available.

sethvath
December 2nd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Does any buddhists want an UBE?

HermanAB
December 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
So, this version will only work on top of a tall mountain peak and answer all simple questions with cryptic circular references?
;)

lyceum
December 2nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
A great way to "sell" FOSS (or anything) is to customize it to the user. I want to make a LDSUbuntu, but there are no Book of Mormon programs, and Ubuntu CE already did a good job of an overall Christian OS. At church, I talk more about Ubuntu CE, as it has the software a Christian would be looking for.

+1 for the Buddhist Edition

I could make a wallpaper/logo or other art work if you are serous about it. I just need a deadline to motivate me.

happysmileman
December 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
People would probably be more interested if you explained how it would be different

koenn
December 2nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
So, this version will only work on top of a tall mountain peak and answer all simple questions with cryptic circular references?
;)
... and play the sound of one hand clapping as log-in sound :)

n3tfury
December 2nd, 2007, 08:37 PM
I don't understand why people have issues with religious oriented distros/derivitives. As a user of Ubuntu SE, I like the choices available.

exactly, to each their own. you're almost questioning why someone believes in a religion. if there can be a CE or SE, there can be a *E for any religion.

n3tfury
December 2nd, 2007, 08:38 PM
... and play the sound of one hand clapping as log-in sound :)

does yours do a one had fwapping sound when logging in?

sethvath
December 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
People would probably be more interested if you explained how it would be different
Some buddhists might wish to clarify what do they require in a buddhist centric OS. If there's no demand why start it in the first place.

I know several buddhists and none of them expressed an interest when questioned. There's no bible/quran in buddhism and most buddhists I know are not as religious as the christians and muslims I know. They pray at temples, meditate at home and these activities do not require the computer afaik.

sethvath
December 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Really I think the jokes have to stop. Its awfully tasteless

lyceum
December 2nd, 2007, 09:17 PM
Some buddhists might wish to clarify what do they require in a buddhist centric OS. If there's no demand why start it in the first place.

I know several buddhists and none of them expressed an interest when questioned. There's no bible/quran in buddhism and most buddhists I know are not as religious as the christians and muslims I know. They pray at temples, meditate at home and these activities do not require the computer afaik.

It could be like the Ubuntu SE, and just be a Buddhist theme.

Seisen
December 2nd, 2007, 10:43 PM
Right now its just an idea that I came up with only because I didin't know if I could even find people to help me. I did look on sourceforge and there are a few apps related to Buddhism including a pali canon reader. Also I think I am going to try to make it lightweight and use a window manager like fluxbox, openbox, or enlightenment (no pun intended).

Within the next couple weeks I am going to try to hammer out more of details and outline what might be included etc.... Mainly what I would need help with would be artwork since I am not very artistic but I can handle most of the technical stuff myself. Also i still need to contact Canonical too.

JAPrufrock
December 2nd, 2007, 11:39 PM
Actually buddhism isn't a religion. If you really forced the issue you could call it a non-theistic religion, but better to call it a set of teachings leading to a particular state of mind.

Penguin Power
December 2nd, 2007, 11:51 PM
I don't see what religion has to do with operating systems. If you want to release a dalai llama theme pack, fine.

Seisen
December 3rd, 2007, 12:08 AM
If you want to argue about religion do it in the Backyard and not here.

happysmileman
December 3rd, 2007, 12:13 AM
If you want to argue about religion do it in the Backyard and not here.

Yeah. Back on topic. Maybe some Buddhists should make some suggestions as to what they want, or offer to help?

Blutack
December 3rd, 2007, 12:23 AM
Rather than making up a totally new distro (with the required mirroring etc) you might want to look into a theme pack for Xubuntu/Fluxubuntu, maybe with a dependancy on that application you mentioned. To be honest, those changes are not enough to make it worthwhile having a whole new iso. I'm not being sarcastic here but you might want to take a look at how Ubuntu Satanic Edition did it...basically custom repo's and a metapackage. I don't know what kind of artwork you are after, but at the risk of stereotyping there is a lot of nice nature scenes under the CC license, go to their site.

strictly_serious
December 3rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
Is anybody interested in making a Ubuntu Buddhist Edition? I figure we already have a Ubuntu Christin Edition and a Muslim Edition why not a Buddhist Edition. If you are seriously interested in it PM me.

I'm not interested, but may I suggest a name...

Buddhabuntu!

KiwiNZ
December 3rd, 2007, 12:47 AM
Please keep the religious debate out of this . There is a thread in the Backyard for them

Flyingjester
December 3rd, 2007, 12:51 AM
hey man, i'm not budhist but i say go for it! A couple of my friends are, and i might be able to switch them to linux with it :D

Seisen
December 3rd, 2007, 12:58 AM
Please keep the religious debate out of this . There is a thread in the Backyard for them

Thanks KiwiNZ

IamReck
December 3rd, 2007, 02:09 AM
The Idea of a religion oriented Ubuntu Distribution is a great Idea. Applying the applications that a Muslim or Christian might want right out of the box is an appeal that would make people more interested in the system.

I think to make a Buddhist Ubuntu we would first need to Identify some Buddhist applications... I haven't heard of any nor gone looking for any.

Seisen
December 3rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
I found some on sourceforge unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to compile and and then turn them into .deb files. I plan on looking on freshmeat.net today to see what else I can find. Does anybody else have any other suggestions on where to find apps related to Buddhism.

urukrama
December 3rd, 2007, 06:35 PM
Did you see the Yellow Hat (http://www.linux.com/articles/28570) Linux? :D

Seisen
December 3rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Did you see the Yellow Hat (http://www.linux.com/articles/28570) Linux? :D

Ya I seen that a while back unfortunately it was a practical joke on April Fools Day.

GrayWizardLinux
December 3rd, 2007, 07:02 PM
I am a Buddhist and have been for the last 40 years -at least cognizantly. I say Go For It. Problem with me is that as much as I tried and wanted Ubuntu to work - it never did - way too many issues. I am using Mint and love it. no issues other than printer stuff...

Wish you'd make a Buddhist Mint version.

I am also OS X mac dude seriously. ----- and no not the new leopard. I am staying away from that one for the present.

in gasho,

GrayWizardLinux

Xanatos Craven
December 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
It might make the existence of the $RELIGIONbuntus more defensible if there was a single Ubuntu Religious Edition or something similarly titled, and upon first boot or install a dialog pops up where you could select a religion and install the programs and artwork related to that religion, instead of having a ton of different CD images, sites, etc. floating around on the 'net for each one.

shafin
December 3rd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Rather than making up a totally new distro (with the required mirroring etc) you might want to look into a theme pack for Xubuntu/Fluxubuntu, maybe with a dependancy on that application you mentioned. To be honest, those changes are not enough to make it worthwhile having a whole new iso. I'm not being sarcastic here but you might want to take a look at how Ubuntu Satanic Edition did it...basically custom repo's and a metapackage. I don't know what kind of artwork you are after, but at the risk of stereotyping there is a lot of nice nature scenes under the CC license, go to their site.
The Ubuntu ME is available as a metapackage,you can go that way and I think It'd be better to start like that.

koenn
December 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
It might make the existence of the $RELIGIONbuntus more defensible if there was a single Ubuntu Religious Edition or something similarly titled, and upon first boot or install a dialog pops up where you could select a religion and install the programs and artwork related to that religion, instead of having a ton of different CD images, sites, etc. floating around on the 'net for each one.
I like that idea.
Ubuntu $RELIGION Editions make as much sense to me as a christian refridgerator or a islamic bicycle but I suppose there's something to say in favor of 'providing customized editions to specific target groups', and a Ubuntu Religious Edition would indeed be an elegant solution with a nice oecumenic ring to it - very Ubuntu.

b9anders
December 3rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Well, the reason to have a Buddhist Linux would to my mind be to have language support for Sanskrit, Pali, Chinese, Tibetan, Thai, Burmese, Sinhalese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Mongolese, Korean and Khmer (I think that covers just about all countries with well established buddhist traditions).

Other additions could be to come with pre-installed libraries of the tipitaka (maybe talk with John Bullit who runs access to insight) and bookmarks to major buddhist websites in the major traditions like access to insight, e-sangha, etc.

Anything else worth adding apart from some neat wallpapers?

In terms of design choice, I am thinking Zenwalk with Enlightenment as the window manager. ;)

koenn
December 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
In terms of design choice, I am thinking Zenwalk with Enlightenment as the window manager. ;)
+ 1

Seisen
December 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
Actually the more and more I think about it I was thinking about starting off with enlighenment then start adding some lightweight apps to it. Its just a matter of what apps besides the one's releated to Buddhism.

SaltyCrak
December 3rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
;)

ha ha ha! perfect for new users!

MozartlovesUbun2
December 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM

Yes I think the same way, so whats the plan?

simon_is_learning
December 6th, 2007, 09:24 PM
There is also the alternative to maybe start a wiki or something. In the wiki you can recommend buddhist apps, artwork and links.

Ubuntu sience follows a simular approach:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuScience

Its a place to start anyway, and if the project grows then maybe it's time to creating the ISO's ;)

Personally I'm very found of (Zenwalk (http://www.zenwalk.org)).

hogwartsnigel
December 7th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Hi all,
I think that the idea of a religious based OS alien to myself even though I am using SE (great screensaver and I messed around with the wallpapers to my own end). I think it is a heck of a lot of work for a glorified themed Ubuntu with bookmarks. Saying that however as A graphic designer would be more than happy to put together icons, wallpapers and general theme'd artistry as required..transplantation of lotus flowers to the Ubuntu icon and logo would work well. Anyway Pm me or contact by other means...

nigel

lyceum
December 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM
So it looks like there has been a lot of discussion here about this. Did anything ever get resolved? I would love to help with art work, if this actually happens. Even if it is just a wallpaper and icon set, it could help market Ubuntu.

aryah
December 12th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Well, such a distro would probably need support for various fonts & languages (pali&sanskrit, chinese, tibetan) & those various input methods for far eastern languages.

apart from this, it would be great resource if some of the various project for digitalising the HUGE buddhist cannons of various traditions could be included, and indexed in some practical manner. I saw a project for reconstructing and digitalising sanskrit cannon as well somewhere..
Im not sure if this requires permission from those people creating such digital redactions, i know that with music sheets, those companies that edit and form them into a buyable edition actually (and imo strangely) have authors rights over them (or copyrights in the common law world) , so probably regardless of their great age, those projects like the digital tibetan buddhist cannon etc would need to agree to GPL them or something for this to work. Perhaps they would be willing to do this? There are some partial translated or original cannons online, like the accesstoinsight, Im guessing including those would not be terribly difficult..

There are also some projects for making the early manuscripts like the ones from gandhāra etc digitalised...
I dont suppose Conze's or other great translations to western languages of key sutras and commentaries could obtain similar permissions...

Even one digitalised buddhist cannon included would be a huge resource, its possibly hundreds of volumes..

What else could such a project feature, apart from fonts and texts that is? Theres this online collection of religions art from himalaya region, maybe these thangkas etc would be of interest http://www.himalayanart.org ?

isnt there some distro thats used in buthan gov or something, supporting their language , fonts etc? I wonder what other changes were done for it?

amerikkanu
January 10th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Just in the way of an fyi, if this project goes forward... I've had issues with Sanskrit input in linux for a while now and finally solved the remaining nagging issues in this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=646207&highlight=sanskrit+input) tips 'n trick post. Basically, the default phonetic Devanagari IME (scim - ITRANS) is problematic in a few respects (e.g., typing "rh" yields ऱ् instead of र्ह् , etc.) So I tweaked that input method and streamlined various character combinations. I also created a new SCIM input method for Sanskrit transliteration, which is as intuitive as any I've used on *******, etc. It can easily be extended so that all the relevant languages can be transliterated with the same input method. (Since both input methods go beyond ITRANS, they ought to have a table documenting their character combinations--which would be easy to draw up from my post--if they're included in your distro.)

Good luck with your project, and if there's anything I can help out with, Sanskrit-wise, feel free to contact me. शुभं भवतु ।

rainvoice
January 30th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Well in the first place i think it's a great idea to provide a kind of "framework" for IT-work related to Buddhist interests. I found this thread while searching for buddhism related software like an indexed collection of texts (e.g. the pali canon), or specially a buddhist calendar. What i found for now is a small bunch of Win... Software, almost everything commercial in any kind.

So i decided to start writing a buddhist calendar application soon in python, not decided yet which window-toolkit to prefer for this. If this project became reality in any kind i would be glad to contribute this calendar to it.

First of all i think the most important should be to work out a list of requirements and needs. My personal whishes for such a project would be the following:

- A set of useful software as mentioned above and by Seisen.

- Some artwork that will provide a working environment that may further spiritual welth, happiness, and development and helps staying in touch with the "Noble Eightfold Path" while working with your machine.

- Language Support as mentioned before in this thread by aryah and others

- I think one of the most important points for all of this should be a nice framework for buddhist science and study as well as help on practising.

So let's talk about the way and the needs: I think there has been made some really useful suggestions here why not put them together:

Beside my own needs as a buddhist, like koenn i really like the idea of a Ubuntu $RELIGION Edition. The idea of Blutack to realize the buddhist version as a metapackage sounds very reasonable to me. Also simon_is_learning's idea for a wiki seems to be the best start. So here are my ideas for all of this:

I think "Ubuntu $RELIGION" and the specific editions should be organized in sepparate projects but working together closely for compatiblillity and interaction issues. So i suggest to inspire interested users/developers to realize the "Ubuntu $RELIGION" distro and put our focus to the Buddhist part as a meta package, that could also be used in any other Ubuntu-edition.

I am willing to provide the space and install a mediawiki (or something similar) on my VPS to bring up the wiki for all the Buddhist related stuff but i will not have the time to fully maintain it. So Seisen (and anyone else who is interested) please let me know and i will setup the wiki within the next days.

I think that's enough for the first post ;-) let me know your opinions.

RAV TUX
January 30th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Just in the way of an fyi, if this project goes forward... I've had issues with Sanskrit input in linux for a while now and finally solved the remaining nagging issues in this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=646207&highlight=sanskrit+input) tips 'n trick post. Basically, the default phonetic Devanagari IME (scim - ITRANS) is problematic in a few respects (e.g., typing "rh" yields ऱ् instead of र्ह् , etc.) So I tweaked that input method and streamlined various character combinations. I also created a new SCIM input method for Sanskrit transliteration, which is as intuitive as any I've used on *******, etc. It can easily be extended so that all the relevant languages can be transliterated with the same input method. (Since both input methods go beyond ITRANS, they ought to have a table documenting their character combinations--which would be easy to draw up from my post--if they're included in your distro.)

Good luck with your project, and if there's anything I can help out with, Sanskrit-wise, feel free to contact me. शुभं भवतु ।

You may want to take a look at NepaLinux (http://nepalinux.org/), Debian based.

Also, I think an Enlightenment 17 environment would be nice for this project.

jclmusic
January 30th, 2008, 01:14 PM
as a buddhist, i don't see the point. but that;s just me...

DrMega
January 30th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Isn't bhuddsim about letting go of earthly things rather than bind ourselves to more of them?

soapytheclown
January 30th, 2008, 01:20 PM
i never got the point of these "Whole New Distro" why not just create a deb file with all the apps in and just get anyone insterested to download that and use it ontop of their standard ubuntu installation, because surely that is all each of these "religious distros" are.

rainvoice
January 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Isn't bhuddsim about letting go of earthly things rather than bind ourselves to more of them?

Basically that's right but as long as we "stuck in the material world" we should live with it (not against it), and open up ways for all other human beings to follow the path of becoming free of material dependencies (in any way, not necessarily Buddhism). Today IT is one way to accomplish that. I could say a lot more about this but that would lead too far off topic. So here is one last hint to clarify my point: Books are also very earthly. ;-)

...why not just create a deb file with all the apps in and just get anyone insterested to download that and use it ontop of their standard ubuntu installation...

For this reason i also would favour a metapackage.

DrMega
January 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Today IT is one way to accomplish that. I could say a lot more about this but that would lead too far off topic.

I'd be very interested to hear more on your ideas of bhuddism and IT but I appreciate you concern about drifting off topic. Perhaps you could PM me with an elaboration.

urukrama
January 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM
For this reason i also would favour a metapackage.

You could have both, like the Ubuntu Christian Edition has: a full CD and a script to add the Christian part to a regular Ubuntu install.

gatton
February 16th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I just wanted to bump this and find out if folks are still interested in this project. I also like the idea of a metapackage. When you think about it 99% of the distro would be identical so why go to the trouble of creating a whole new iso? Also I imagine it would mean that anyone using a debian derivative would be able to install the packages?

Perhaps we could compile a large amount of text to include. After all the dharma isn't copyrighted ;-) Also someone mentioned sites like Access to Insight. A lot of sites like that and buddhanet.net have text and pdf files for download. Maybe we could get permission to include them.

I like the idea of having some sort of daily dharma study application. Sort of like daily devotional applications that Christians use.

metta,
Gatton

lyceum
February 18th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I just wanted to bump this and find out if folks are still interested in this project. I also like the idea of a metapackage. When you think about it 99% of the distro would be identical so why go to the trouble of creating a whole new iso? Also I imagine it would mean that anyone using a debian derivative would be able to install the packages?

Perhaps we could compile a large amount of text to include. After all the dharma isn't copyrighted ;-) Also someone mentioned sites like Access to Insight. A lot of sites like that and buddhanet.net have text and pdf files for download. Maybe we could get permission to include them.

I like the idea of having some sort of daily dharma study application. Sort of like daily devotional applications that Christians use.

metta,
Gatton

If you need artwork, let me know, but that is about all I can do.

ÜbuntuMensch
February 18th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Yes!

We must have a Buddhist Edition! That way, there will be an enduring entity with a well-defined essence that we can enjoy.

Metapackage? Is that your chariot, King Milinda?

Actually first perhaps to identify which packages, etc. would be helpful. Aside from more robust asian language support, I cannot imagine.

But I am interested.

I use Open Office for Sanskrit with no problems and some of the Ubuntu Studio packages for making scripture recordings.

Seisen
February 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I like the idea of just making meta-packages instead of creating a whole new distro unless we do something like what opengeu did.

Sealbhach
October 5th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Will the Buddhist edition give you all sorts of impossible conundrums to solve?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koan

e.g. Keyboard not detected, press any key to continue...

treesurf
October 9th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Will the Buddhist edition give you all sorts of impossible conundrums to solve?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koan

e.g. Keyboard not detected, press any key to continue...

That's pretty funny.

Here's my desktop, only because it relates vaguely to the thread topic...

LaRoza
October 9th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I just removed posts from here going on about how people shouldn't exercise their freedoms.

So, I moved them to Recurring Discussions, where they belong (see sticky in RD).

Moving posts is a pain. Please don't make me do it again. You wouldn't like me when I am...cranky.

BlackLLama
October 10th, 2008, 09:48 AM
how about a bump, is this actually going to become a project, i say it should

Alan Coleman
October 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM
nice one, its a great gift for society. People need inner peace in there minds when they are useing the ubuntu. anything that is conducive to that is a blessing in my eyes. And its a brave thing to do. Check out the resistance your getting. You don't have to be brave to be a Buddhist... but it helps!

treesurf
October 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Check it out. Here is a liveCD of a Buddhist studies distro that someone put together:

http://thanhsiang.org/faqing/node/86

bp1509
October 14th, 2008, 03:35 PM
d

Angelbeast
November 19th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I like this idea ALOT. I think a good bundle of apps and some other things to include would bea digital Dhamapadda maybe with rndom quotes from it that come up at random times. Maybe some entries from the Pali Canon and the Shōbōgenzō.Aa calendar. And a meditation timer and a mindfulness bell app that goes off at set or random times. You would have tobe inclusive of all of the three main schools of Buddhism though or possibly make an edition for each with some small chages to each to fit each one. I think this is a pretty good idea and would love to see it happen.

eternalnewbee
November 19th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I live in the ancient capital of Siam, so I'd say say: Buddhibuntu. Do it[-o<
You must admit. It sounds good.

Trail
November 19th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I guess I'll make an u/b/untu version.

Magnes
November 19th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I think Ubuntu Buddhist Edition is not needed - Ubuntu is already orange and you can meditate during slow boot. :lolflag:

MasterNetra
November 20th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I gots a better idea come to think of it..why not instead of making NEW distros, make theme packs instead; with instructions that even computer illiterates can understand?
But hey just a thought =P

eternalnewbee
November 20th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I gots a better idea come to think of it..why not instead of making NEW distros, make theme packs instead; with instructions that even computer illiterates can understand?
I see you have been meditating MasterNetra. Positive vibrations. Very gooooood;)

Angelbeast
November 20th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Do you mean something that would install themes and apps and stuff all from one package? Hmmm methinks you're onto something hehe

Kemrin
December 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet, but here are some things I think should be in a Buddhist Ubuntu Version: A copy of the Lotus Sutra in some form or another. A meditation timer with relaxing music and perhase a virtual candle or pattern to meditate watching. Also, there should be a sangha feature that will link you to a Buddhist network of all the other users of BuBuntu that will let you all chat in real time or something through some sort of IRC room or something. Also, a graphical theme in bamboo greens might look good.

jasballz
March 12th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Ill help out sounds cool.

jasballz
March 12th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Theres a plethora of Buddhist Scriptures. I'm Zen. We should have as many as possible. I was thinking of a mindfulness bell ringing at long in.

7mkgw7q
March 12th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I would be glad to help on this project. I would be interested to see how this would go. :-)

jasballz
March 16th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Hey all,

I made a site for developers Please email me if you're interested in developing: raymonjc@sbu.edu Email me your info and we'll get to work :)

Site development is open to anyone. Just email me a request for your password.

http://www.buddhabuntu.8m.net

the logo is a work in progress updates welcome, don't delete prior ones tho. Get at me asap! We also need to decide what sect(s) we are going to represent in this distribution and what packages to attach. I want to have a whole collection of buddhist scriptures, but I don't know the first thing when it comes to developing distrubutions so please help me. I have an extensive background in html development, visual basic, and c, been programming PCs since I was seven. But I'm not God. Lol Also working name is up for grabs. I chose buddhabuntu since bubuntu is a black distro and buduntu sounds goofy.

Also if anyone is willing to put up the money for a real name we can take off the banner ads and the "8m" part.

Plz don't spam me or misuse this project.

MaxIBoy
March 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I'm not a Buddhist, but I am into meditation (in a martial arts context.) I think this could be a good default theme for the distro (see screenshot.)

Made using Fluxbox without the panel enabled.

treesurf
March 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I will point out again that a LiveCD based on Slax6 is already out there with several good tools for those doing Buddhist scholarly studies.

http://thanhsiang.org/faqing/node/86

These tools could be included in any "Buddhist" distro.

Frankly, I think it will be difficult to make a distro that will be useful, or appeal to all Buddhists. Buddhism has many different "flavors" (you could call them distros, I suppose). For example, a Japanese Zen based distro will probably not appeal to a Tibetan Buddhist, or a Chinese Buddhist, or vice versa.

jasballz
March 16th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I don't see the attachment, Maxiboy. :(

mips
March 16th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I don't see the attachment, dragos. :(

Lol, I think you missed the point unless it's an honest mistake ;)

jasballz
March 16th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Hey all,

Heres my fav buddhabuntu logo I made :D tell me what you think!

jasballz
March 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
lol, emptiness, got it :o

I still don't see the attachment :D lol

jasballz
March 16th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hey all,

ok, anyone who is interested (PLZ DO NOT CHANGE PASSWORD) feel free to update and upload ditros/packages/ideas to http://buddhabuntu.8m.net

login buddhabuntudevelopers
pword developers

make sure that you append changes in an ascending format so that previous additions are maintained!

like that resource lib for scriptures.

No SPAM no messing up Website, this is an open-source webpage for buddhabuntu dev!

looking for sponsor/ to buy domain name and to sponsor link over at Google. email me if you're interested or just buy it for us.

I know that ther's a jap site on bodhidharma tho I want to get HuiNeng's stories up, he's my fav. I have a random Ko'an generator at this site

http://jon2000.8m.com/

tho it runs vbscript so I think you have to be on Windows
idk, ideas? ::popcorn:

To upload files on the My Files page
login: admin@buddhabuntu.8m.net
pword: developers

If this site or my ideas seem domineering, or just plain retarded let me know! Opinions plz! :o

Other than that FEEL FREE to change, mod, upload and add to site as development continues.

jasballz
March 16th, 2009, 11:29 PM
:popcorn: Emailed the International Buddhist school, hopefully they'll release their liveCD to us so we can attach the packages. If you want email them too. :)

ideas: BuddhaBible (collection of the hugenormous amount of Buddhist Scriptures, links to Amazon and sites)
Koan of the Day (random Zen koan of 365)
Unique system noises (meditation bell, OM, zen shout)
Crazy Stuff (blank bg, deleting just renames files and moves them somewhere else, Password changes at login/need to answer a Zen riddle right)
LiveLink to Beliefnet.com
Pax.com as main/home search engine
SittingTime (meditation clock)
Cha'n Monk (instead of penguin on cairo-dock)
EmptinessCalculator (Able to do calculus and approximations to 1/0)
Phi Ratio (1.618 or phi^2=phi+1 as window template)
ZenMaster (Randomly shouting Zen master as bg?)
Unique Iconset (Zen-based)
Unique cursors
Ringlet system monitors shaped like Zen circle (how can you do this?)
Unique Login and Logout Screens
Machine-learning Userfriendliness (User-adaptive OS)

jasballz
March 17th, 2009, 01:37 AM
recently added Buddhabuntu to Wikipedia.org. They deleted it.

Distrowatch is down.

Sealbhach
March 17th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Maybe you could incorporate Conky, showing texts and koans and maybe symbols which could change at regular intervals.

Also, maybe some kind of Zen Garden feature, like this one:

http://zengarden.sourceforge.net/

Also a browser start page with good links and bookmarks.

jasballz
March 17th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Do you know where I can download Conky? I'm wrestling with the Wikipedia moderators, but got a permanent fix here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jasballz

I'm downloading a ton of Ebooks, Mp3s and Sutras, my favs, Shunryu Suzuki Thich Nhat Hanh, Jack Keroac, Alan Watts, for incorporation. I'm going to use Personalbrain for easy user interface/access. Also want to know how I can incorporate complearn and freemind into the OS for an User Adaptive Experience, considering thats my/our 'selling point'

oobuntoo
March 17th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I find this whole thread hilarious and silly. What's next, an Islam version called Muslimtu?

Dawei87
March 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM
this would be pretty cool. maybe instead of having "welcome" on the login screen, just replace that with a different quote each time(im not sure if this is possible). i love the idea of having music playing for meditation and a candle or something peaceful to have in the background. that would be awesome. and maybe you could make it scheduled too. i dont know how to program or anything, but if you ever need anyone to test anything drop me a line!

Sealbhach
March 17th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Do you know where I can download Conky?

It's in the Ubuntu repos. There's a walkthrough on how to set it up and use it here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6365702

Some Conkys use the Fortune app, so it displays a different Fortune every few minutes. You could easily change that to a file containing a bunch of Buddhist sayings.

jasballz
March 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hey all,

What do you folks think about the homepage?

http://buddhabuntu.8m.net

and then theres the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhabuntu

its all open-source

:)

jasballz
March 17th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Hey all,

and then theres the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhabuntu

its all open-source

:)

Uploaded Buddhabuntu distro Alpha 1; so far no live cd other than the one that treesurf posted

goto buddhabuntu.8m.net / My Files

login admin@buddhabuntu.8m.net
pword developers

download and compile according to instructions in readme.txt
lots of scriptures and sutras. Got to get info on copyright laws tho so far I put in a disclaimer that if you download you implicitly agree to comply to laws where applicable
no livecd in the tar.gz just library of files and apps we have so far. still downloading more.

How do we implement conky?

Someone said to do system msgs like "No keyboard detected, press any key to continue" I love that , any more ideas

treesurf
March 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I'll check this out later when I have a little more time...

treesurf
March 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Hi jasballz,

I'd like to make a suggestion on renaming the distro. Because what you have done so far is very clearly based in the Zen Buddhist tradition I suggest you rename it Zenbuntu, or something similar. Really if a Tibetan Buddhist or even Chinese Buddhist looked at what you are putting together they wouldn't feel much connection to what you're doing.

Not that there is anything wrong with that! 84,000 teachings and all that! Just thought the name should better reflect the distro.

Paqman
March 17th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hey all,

Er, what size screen did you design that for? On 1024x768 you've got the ads on the right stomping all over your title. Personally I don't like liquid designs because they misbehave like this really easily. Fixed width on page elements lets you control your layout a lot better.

I wouldn't bother designing for 800x600 any more, but 1024x768 is still a really common resolution.

As for the content, put your "History of Buddhabuntu" at the top and then explain (in one sentence) what the project actually is. People need to be able to work out what your page is about in the first few seconds, then give them obvious links to take some kind of action. Otherwise they'll just get confused and surf away.

Loving the logo though! Keep up the good work!

treesurf
March 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Yah, the logo is great.

jasballz
March 17th, 2009, 06:30 PM
tree surf: on "zenbuntu" I like the idea, but if someone else could mod the logo Id appreciate it. My library (if you download distro alpha 1 you'll see) includes documents from all traditions, though I agree that there is a particular emphasis upon Zen, especially with the Logo and all.

Paqman: good idea, will do, tho its supposed to be funny, yah in Windows 7 no problem, but in Ubuntu you have to close the side ad. Im hoping someone will buy the domain name for us. its like 12 bucks a month.

Fixed the site.

Paqman
March 17th, 2009, 06:34 PM
its like 12 bucks a month.

It's not even that. You can get hosting for $5 a month, with a free domain name.

jasballz
March 17th, 2009, 07:02 PM
made changes to site. anyone feel free to buy the site Good package picture or should be deleted? :D

Kareeser
March 17th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Links are still blue... yikes. Clashes quite a bit... unless some sort of CSS isn't loading properly...

jasballz
March 18th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Hey all,

This is a lengthy post so get out your RockStar and some popcorn and sit back. ;)

:popcorn:

Zenbuntu: Here's a splash and color-enhanced package picture for buddhabuntu. WHich is better, old package or new?

I'm going to try to make a Zenbuntu logo for comparison or possible change. Maybe we could do "Tibetbuntu, Purelanduntu, etc" logos for quick change in the Buddhabuntu distro. Anyone feel like working on that?

Though I admit I prefer "Buddhabuntu" considering all the work I've put into the logo(s)/artwork already. Please comment on the black splash and the other distro package pic as I was thnking about replacing the old distro pic. :)

What about how the lib is expanded. Got therv, mahaya, tibet, ozbud, genbud and zenbud in root/Library/txts doesn't that include the general population of Buddhists? I understand that I may have a bias towards Zen since those are my roots. If anyone wants to make a multisect distro (if they feel this is not so multisect) please feel free, but I think that this is pretty multisect. Any ideas how to make it more multisect? Maybe multiple package options with themes specefic to Tibetan, Theravada (Indian, and other), Mayahana, Namu Amidu, Zen (Thai, Korean, Indonesian, Chinese, and Japanese) sects. Also want country/culture specefic inclusion for other sects (theme manager and language) but I don't know the details. I'd like to also include Japanese Shinto, Ryukan, Jodo-kyo, Nichiren mods/themes, and American Tibetan, Zen Buddhism. Would somebody work on this so that people indigenous to these religions/cultures would feel comfortable using the distro? (theme and language packages?)

There's a plethora of specefic sects to every main division of Buddhism. Does anybody want to research these and suggest mods/themes to the distro that may be included in the package for instant switching? Also looking for someone to upload sect and country-specefic mods/themes for inclusion so that we can keep the name "Buddhabuntu". I want it to be a universal distro package.

Working on distro Alpha 2. Tried the liveCD from Buddhist International Studies and KDE didn't work on my Acer. Thinking about renaming the iso from BuddhistSlax to ShitSlax as a wordplay ("Where is the Buddha?" "On the shitpaper in the john outside") and including it in the package. Also because its ******. I took out the Sanskrit encoding doc and put it in /root/. Tried Reconstructor but disappointed with results. Modded Ubuntu LiveCD splash too, but trying to incorporate into iso. How do you do this?

Still looking for someone to buy the site and a redirect at buddhabuntu.net and take off the top ad and a Google top sites link.

Plus I still don't know how to interface the OS with complearngui or complearnlib. Having trouble installing PersonalBrain due to java stuff, but that will serve as the directory to the lib etc.

Compiled an Alpha 2 LiveCD from Intrepid LiveCD with Reconstructor but I don't think it really is any different. Have to try, and upload.

So far buddhabuntu.tar.gz at myfiles/ (admin@buddhabuntu.net pword: developers) is just a lib that could be attached to any OS.

Thnking Zen shout as start up.

If I'm taking over too much let me no! I'm stressing on this.

jasballz
March 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM
:) treesurf: here's a working zenbuntu logo

treesurf
March 19th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Looks good!

jasballz
March 19th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Hey all,

Heres a universal buddhabuntu logo and background. Tell me what you think.

remember feel free to mod site as long as its in an ascending format and you keep past changes by other users and NO SPAM and NO CHANGE pword

pword:developers

get the word out and get links to this site anywhere you can think of and plz somebuddy buy the domain name

jasballz
March 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
please record changes here

jasballz
March 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Uploaded Buddhabuntu Alpha 2 LiveCD torrent to demonoid

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1840050/

Who will seed this? I'm starting the seed but we need a nice base for leechers, say 20 seeders. Also anyone know of a good filehosting site and want to upload it there?

Alpha 3 is in development. Once I get a totally customized Distro Ill take off the Alpha suffix. Itll probably take up two DVDs

jasballz
March 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Dividing buddhabuntu package into two dvds-media and system. Media comprises the most space >4gb, may overflow into a third dvd, system is just under 600mb, may become 1 after I redownload livecd so Ill upload the system dvd onto buddhabuntu.8m.net/MyFiles after I compile it. Working on seeding the Alpha 2 torrent tho transmission says I have 99.5% and not 100% (-w-h-a-t-?) Going to use remastersys for jaunty if I can but if not Intrepid and should be able to cut off that nasty alpha suffix. But Ill be online all day tommorrow and next week for uploads via torrent. Probably best speeds will be in the morning 8am EST if I don't sleep in. ;)

jasballz
March 20th, 2009, 01:29 PM
i have the whole thing at 100% but trouble seeding(?) to a local computer btw i'm online with transmission trying bittorrent prolly because I'm at a university campus w/o port forwarding. will upload to rapidshare. Having trouble with that too. IDK ideas?

jasballz
March 20th, 2009, 05:51 PM
:( Are ppl interested in this or not? Please email me if you are interested in dev and/or download.

treesurf
March 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Jasballz,

I'd download it, but I don't have a DVD burner so I'm not really sure how to check out the ISO otherwise.

Rumbl3
March 20th, 2009, 08:44 PM
hmmm anyway to get any of the extras from it without getting it? lol just because i use xubuntu but i would like to see the wallpapers and other stuff that comes with it.

KiwiNZ
March 20th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I have moved some unwarranted Buddhist jokes etc from this thread . Please do not post them .

treesurf
March 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Hey, I'm Buddhist, and I like Buddhist jokes...

Sealbhach
March 21st, 2009, 04:03 AM
Loosely related link:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9704

The Zen of Ubuntu

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
hmmm anyway to get any of the extras from it without getting it? lol just because i use xubuntu but i would like to see the wallpapers and other stuff that comes with it.

Basically all three disks of Buddhabuntu Alpha 3 are lots of Library files (two movies, lots of audio books and ebooks and some Linux apps) that run up to 6 gb, and on the System Disk that I'm uploading now (about 2gb) theres the live CD I made with remastersys as an ISO and the library. The library includes some user icons and bgs in art\artbud\ along with old logos in art\oldbuddhabuntulogos

The Media disks contain both the movies, audio books and music mp3s. The entire Buddhabuntu package is platform independent and really I guess the OS isn't so important. But I suppose when I buy some more DVD-Rs Ill host a place where Ill mail them free of charge (maybe with shipping and handling). Depending on how I feel about it I may mail all three DVDs or just the System DVD. :D

But uploading has really been a nightmare for me. Once I upload it Ill work on expanding the Library again. Its pretty universally Buddhist with emphasis on Tibetan and Zen or Ch'an bud, but there's all sorts of genbud, thervadabud and mahayana and psychological bud.

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
While the OS in the end will feature some really neat features once I get to it, or w/e the Library is platform independent. I'm using Mediafire to upload the System Disk right now. The liveCD is 1.1gb and the rest is maybe 1gb, (idk) The Media Disks are about 5gb total. I'm thinking about either including the KDE LinuxLiveCD for Buddhist Studies on the SystemDVD as shitslax.iso or just allowing users to download it from their site as I couldn't even run it. Has anybody else tried their KDE LinuxLive CD? What have your experiences been? And do you think it be good for modding? Because right now I'm just using Jaunty.

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
I'm also using the op to distribute a Christian/Buddhist novella I did a while ago I entitled "Wheat". You can find that on the SystemDVD/htms/jon2000.8m.com/

I was thinking about including a natural language processing neural network excel macro I did also but I haven't any idea how to port to Ubuntu (it runs on both Mac and Windows tho). Any ideas or if someone wants to port it Ill upload it. Its written in VBscript.

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
I've got like two parts of maybe ten of the first System DVD for Alpha 3 uploaded.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zlzxinzbsdv

http://www.mediafire.com/?mwh0gn9wwjw

slowly but surely. Somebody say a prayer that I do good on an ECED240 test/quiz today and a French test tommorrow as I am putting WAY too much time in to this!

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Also if someone would work on modding the splashes and startupsystem sounds and cursor/icons using some of the graphics and sounds in SystemDVD/Library/ of the customdistro.iso that once I've uploaded that would be much appreciated! ;) The third (.003) file may be corrupt. Plz check.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mujegmd7ygx

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 03:10 PM
:popcorn: Get out the RockStar -for multiple posts-. ;)

Once I uploaded the smallest DVD (System) which is about 1.6gb (and tell me if wine/7-zip can unarchive--should be able to, i will test right away) I will get on uploading the largest DVD (Media) which is about 4.06gb and 7zd to 3.9gb. That has audiobooks, mp3s and a movie called Why The Boddhidharma Came to the East. That movie's Zen/Ch'an and copyrights shouldn't apply considering it was published 1989. In Media II DVD there is a movie on The Tibetan Book of the Dead. Once I've uploaded Alpha III Completely I will work on expanding the library even more. Right now the Alpha 3 distro of Buddhabuntu is pretty universally Buddhist. Anybody working on making sect-specific icons/logos? There is a dual emphasis right now on Ch'an and Tibetan Buddhism (again bias) because I am originally Zen/Ch'an with some schooling under Tibetan Buddhism under Prof. Richard Reilly at Saint Bonaventure University. There is also a similarity between Tibetan Dzogchen and Ch'an (even epistemologically--chen/Ch'an). IDK. Ideas?

I'm still having some trouble uploading :( even to Mediafire. Anybody with ideas/solutions to torrenting most welcome. Tho I deleted my tar.7z file and set for the demonoid Alpha2 torrent right now as I have done extensive work on Alpha III. God willing Alpha 3 system DVD will be completely live and online at Mediafire by the end of today or tommorrow.

Again, Buddhabuntu is pretty universally Buddhist tho I'd LOVE for there to be sect-specific themes / language incorporation. Plz someone work on that!

I noticed that on working on it I have shortened the name in a file folder to "buduntu" so if "Buddhabuntu" is not everyone's favorite name or w/e, let me know!

There's a total of 17 split 7z archives I am working on uploading right now! :p

Ideas! Ideas! Ideas?

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Checked the 7z with 7z; all seems good.

Glucklich
March 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
I noticed that on working on it I have shortened the name in a file folder to "buduntu" so if "Buddhabuntu" is not everyone's favorite name or w/e, let me know!

Bubuntu its funnier, that's all :P

And I searched for Jewbuntu. LOL! The site is so funny.

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
wondering if the person who'll mod the system dvd livecd would mind stripping it down to a nice 700meg for a livecd? wholl mind doing this?

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
going to try to seed Alpha 3 too. Not 7zipd Goto demonoid and search "both" for buddhabuntu. also uploaded torrent to buddhabuntu.8m.net/myfiles

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
btw i already have a random koan generator that runs vbscript at

http://jon2000.8m.com

if somebody could port to java for the distro I'd appreciate it. It only runs on Windows systems/ieexplore right now.

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
also note that since customdistro.iso is a mod of jaunty (please mod further) ull need to use terminal/ sudo update-manager -d command specifically in april to download the full Jaunty Jackalope distro since im modding alpha versions of Jaunty at present (alpha 5/6)

btw i'm seeding alpha 3 right now tho I don't know if we'll have success due to no good port forwarding at University Campus. Let me know.

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Looking 4 someone to buy the box so that we can have unlimited upload space at buddhabuntu.8m.net I deleted the prev. Alpha distros but no expansion back to 2 gb... so i stripped the customdistro.iso from the 7z and uploading the 7z split System DVD w/o the iso to buddhabuntu.8m.net/myfiles

Got the system DVD minus customdistro.iso uploaded to Buddhabuntu.8m.net and uploaded most of customdistro.iso, tho working on uploading the rest to mediafire. Will notify, and l8r post/upload media DVDs.

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
Also thinking we should have our own IRC channel, maybe at ubuntu? Is there an ubuntu distro irc channel?
You can download the System DVD minus the customdistro.iso at buddhabuntu.8m.net/Myfiles
also most of the customdistro.iso there
then goto mediafire and download the rest of customdistro.iso
Here's the mediafire links (will add as upload completes)

http://www.mediafire.com/?oexdjhj1mm0
http://www.mediafire.com/?wz5d7mln12h
http://www.mediafire.com/?tmfjbzlhh4v
http://www.mediafire.com/?gwk3xvnz41j
http://www.mediafire.com/?m5bbmwwczfm

I'm having really good upload speeds (1mbps-2mbps) so if you're looking to leech the Alpha III torrent, right now at 4:09 PM EST Mon Mar 23rd good time, tho Bonaventure hasn't gotten back to me on port forwarding its worth a shot. I will be online until 7pm tonite. Tommorrow I will be live at 8am EST until 5pm EST so check me out then, I will look for an IRC host. Tell me how you like, plz mod and etc.
I guess for now meet at irc.freenode.net #ubuntu

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
idky but Demonoid says 0 seeders when I've been online seeding all day, so main way to download is on buddhabuntu.8m.net/myfiles and mediafire.com Right now only System DVD for Alpha III is online tho should have Media DVDS live tommorrow. Then I will work on Alpha IV which will significantly mod the customdistro.iso and increase the size of the Media DVDs, prolly in a supplemental DVD so that I won't have to upload so much (data redundancy). Still looking how to interface IBM PML and complearn packages with O.S. for user adaptive experience. Also looking for a java porter for the koan generator at http://jon2000.8m.com Once I start modding for Alpha IV, I will kill the Alpha III torrent since torrenting is not working.

Plz review my posts on the buddhabuntu.8m.net blog to see what you can do to help. Alpha I and II are no longer live, (torrent or otherwise). Plz if someone could review the copyright probs, do so.

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
if somebody would like to post a running vid on Youtube that'd be much appreciated! Maybe of the sweet neuronet Buddhabuntu bg running, zen shout, some chanting and definitely hype up the PersonalBrain.sh interface for the library.

Be blessed

jasballz
March 23rd, 2009, 11:44 PM
Did some screen recording for a Buddhabuntu Alpha IV preview on Youtube will post to buddhabuntu.8m.net lots of compiz effects and personalbrain.sh hype tho the first time I run personalbrain its ****** and buggy. Tho I don't think you can install personalbrain in the Alpha III distro. Still trying to figure out how to interface IBM PML and complearn with OS. Youtube vid should be up tommorrow and Alpha IV completed by next week or the week after.

jasballz
March 24th, 2009, 01:24 PM
uploaded youtube video

jasballz
March 24th, 2009, 01:45 PM
working on finding a place for easy download, like one file instead of 100.

AICollector
March 24th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I'm not a Buddhist, but I like their philosophy. +1 for the idea.

Daisuke_Aramaki
March 24th, 2009, 06:21 PM
On a related note, may be the folks behind the Buddhist edition can think of an appropriate /etc/issue or motd, which features an ascii art! I came across a fantastic one made by skualito at archlinux forums, which i use on my machine. It will fit perfectly with this distribution. Since it has been done already, may be you folks can ask him/her about using his creation on your distro. Here is a mangled version of mine on my desk!

http://omploader.org/tMWZmdQ (http://omploader.org/vMWZmdQ)

Here is skualito's original post at arch forums!

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=50845&p=3

jasballz
March 24th, 2009, 06:23 PM
On a related note, may be the folks behind the Buddhist edition can think of an appropriate /etc/issue or motd, which features an ascii art! I came across a fantastic one made by skualito at archlinux forums, which i use on my machine. It will fit perfectly with this distribution. Since it has been done already, may be you folks can ask him/her about using his creation on your distro. Here is a mangled version of mine on my desk!

http://omploader.org/tMWZmdQ (http://omploader.org/vMWZmdQ)

Here is skualito's original post at arch forums!

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=50845&p=3

Ascii art here: feel free to dev and include ur own mod of buddhabuntu logo! I couldn't figure owt how to include a larger pic w/o textwrapping :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: plz feel free Daisuke to dev ascii art for this distro! :mrgreen:

Adamant1988
March 24th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I'll not argue the merits of whether or not a Buddhist version is a good or bad idea, instead I'll just say this:

Focus on zen and simplicity. As many programs as you can remove without decreasing the capabilities of the machine, awesome. Maybe even create a metapackage of open-source white noise to meditate by?

Just an idea.

jasballz
March 24th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I'll not argue the merits of whether or not a Buddhist version is a good or bad idea, instead I'll just say this:

Focus on zen and simplicity. As many programs as you can remove without decreasing the capabilities of the machine, awesome. Maybe even create a metapackage of open-source white noise to meditate by?

Just an idea.

I like that, do you think you could link me to a white-noise generator for inclusion?? :D

Adamant1988
March 24th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I like that, do you think you could link me to a white-noise generator for inclusion?? :D

Nope, I don't know of any. =\

jasballz
March 24th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Also looking for someone to buy a fileden / filedrop place where we can host the files

Naiki Muliaina
March 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Just checking, sorry if this sounds negative, do you have Ubuntu / Canonicals permission to use the *buntu suffix? Im sure theres been a number of problem cases in the past where name changes have been forced or something. Wasnt OpenGEU called Ebuntu or something and they made him change his name?

dmizer
March 25th, 2009, 01:59 AM
This thread has been closed for review.

dmizer
March 25th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Reopening this thread under the following conditions:

This thread’s topic is about development, not about religion. Stay on topic.
There is to be no religious discussion involved in this thread except where directly relevant to development of Buddhabuntu.
Do not post any jokes about Buddhism or any other religion.
It is NOT ok to give your opinion on Buddhism as a religion.
It is NOT ok to give your opinion on religion based releases of Ubuntu.

linuxguymarshall
March 25th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I am a buddhist and I must ask. Why? What would make it different from default Ubuntu besides cosmetic things? Any program you wanted to implement?

bhishan
March 25th, 2009, 02:56 AM
I think a buddhist theme will do fine.

Neo_The_User
March 25th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I believe my posts were deleted...

dmizer
March 25th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I believe my posts were deleted...

Your posts and about 70 other posts were removed because they were either off topic, or religious debates.

jasballz
March 25th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I'm at an open portforad (wifi loc) trying to figure out ftp hosting so that ppl can use places/Connect to Server in GNOME to download Beta I. I am recommending KDE as the default window manager for Buddhabuntu as it is much better (in my opinion) than GNOME. Having some problems connecting to wifi tho in KDE (don't know how). Fluxbox isn't as grand in my opinion but if someone could figure that out thatd be nice. Again, please plug to Buddhabuntu wherever possible and looking for 1) someone to buy the site 2) someone to buy an ftp/filehosting server 3) someone to buy ads. Donations welkom. I have a paypal acct but I forgot my login so someone will take care of that.

"sudo apt-get install kde" Then when at login goto Options/Session/ Choose KDE as default. I don't like fluxbox but if ppl can figure out why White Wind Zen Com are using I'd be much obliged.

dmizer- domoarigato!!!! you don't know how happy I am!

We have 480 hits today but I want a regular 1000 hits per day so contact all buddhist forums and disseminate info.

If you are looking to help check out the blog at buddhabuntu home and see what job suits you best and get working.

Anybody have experience in FTP'ing?

jasballz
March 25th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I am a buddhist and I must ask. Why? What would make it different from default Ubuntu besides cosmetic things? Any program you wanted to implement?

\\:D/ If you read the wiki on wikipedia or the site you would be mindful. I had to edit the wiki to keep it live by writing about "notability" which is considerably focused on --MACHINE LEARNING--. Buddhabuntu is revolutionary compared to ALL other O.S.'s in its emphasis on User Adaptiveness, not only religio/but specifically that we are devving interfacing complearn, IBM PML and PersonalBrain for nodal/ intelligent computing. :guitar:

That's why its "linux for enlightened beings" as hopefully, God willing, your PC will have a bit of concsiousness.

[-o< May buddhabuntu birth conscious computing.

Looking for specific ppl to actually implement this interfacing as I have no idea at the moment how to do that. I have an excel macro that runs in windows and mac that is an Natural Language Processing neural network much like Stanford's Random Writer assignment (google "standford random writer". Level 8 or 10 intelligence depending on input. Does anybody know how to port visual basic macros to OpenOffice?

Its language independent and can learn anything.

:mrgreen: plz participate in devving! :mrgreen:

the whole proj is opensourced!

jasballz
March 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
the Beta I isos are made but I'm trying to figure out ftping so help plz as i'm a newb in this regard. Or other ideas for sharing. Like I don't know my ftp address.

running vsftpd i get:

<strikthru>could not bind listening IPv4 socket</strikthru>

I got it to start using
sudo /etc/init.d/vsftpd start

command but don't know how to disseminate my address.

I'm going to talk to the irc channell and figure it out. Copying Beta I to /home/ftp/

I have class at 2:30. Thinking about skipping but idk. So once I'm live I will post address for connection (plz no messing up my comp!!). Also thinking about remote desktop but that runs too much of a security risk for me. Ill be live for an hour or two so feel free to download from live time EST until close, w/e of Beta I you'd like. In /ftp/ there is the Alpha III/IV Media disks and Beta I System DVD, and goto Beta_I_System/LiveDVD(CD)s/ to download either the kde slax thats been available at the International School or my Beta_I live DVD. I haven't tested as I'm out of DVDs but I backed up with remastersys and used reconstructor to mod the splashes. Should be fine. Then theres the apps/ for complearn and IBM PML interfacing and PersonalBrain. I reccommend downloading the Buddhist scripture library found in SystemDVD first before going to download the audio books, music and movies in the Media DVDs. Then once you've done that move it / import it into a Personal brain (install using sudo sh Personalbrain..... .sh, it will ask you to install a JVE environ say yes). Then delete the files as they should be in your nodal Brain. PersonalBrain is trial so you may have to purchase that for longterm performance. PersonalBrain runs best in KDE. There's /art/ and /usericons/ too. Usericons, IDK how to use in Ubuntu but they're handy for mac or windows. Will keep posted. Once I'm live I will update at buddhabuntu.8m.net /blog and /whatsnew.

jasballz
March 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
OK, I believe you may connect to my FTP using these IP addresses. Goto Places/ Connect to server and try. Posting on Buddhabuntu.8m.net I'm live 001235pm EST Wednesday 3-25-09 until 2:30PM EST at latest. Tho I have class at Bonas. I don't know if I will have a live FTP at bonas due to proxy/filters. Will keep you posted.

ctive Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
tcp 0 0 *:9091 *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 *:51413 *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 localhost:ipp *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 1 jonathan-laptop.l:53882 host86-130-19-227:35576 LAST_ACK
tcp 4380 0 jonathan-laptop.l:60054 60-241-79-95.stat:24269 ESTABLISHED
tcp 17520 0 jonathan-laptop.l:44302 12-208-232-253.cl:54386 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 1 jonathan-laptop.l:59082 221.164.40.70:19164 LAST_ACK
tcp 0 0 jonathan-laptop.l:39866 ABTS-TN-dynamic-10:3407 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 jonathan-laptop.l:43543 r190-134-215-67.di:6900 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 jonathan-laptop.l:48296 115-64-124-131.tp:47053 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 1 jonathan-laptop.l:43760 3e6b636a.rev.stof:52465 LAST_ACK
tcp 20572 0 jonathan-laptop.l:51602 195.216.171.72:11165 ESTABLISHED
tcp 403 0 jonathan-laptop.l:45989 220-253-163-50.WA:31863 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 jonathan-laptop.l:59181 S0106000f6694d6ea:51413 ESTABLISHED
tcp 1460 0 jonathan-laptop.l:40207 220-244-174-25.st:43649 ESTABLISHED
tcp 1460 0 jonathan-laptop.l:54964 62.43.165.17.dyn.:25108 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 85 jonathan-laptop.l:37829 dsl-189-243-14-10:48693 ESTABLISHED
tcp 9216 0 jonathan-laptop.l:36444 c-76-121-16-150.h:49090 ESTABLISHED
tcp 21612 0 jonathan-laptop.l:34234 OL122-250.fiberte:47019 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 653 jonathan-laptop.l:49422 115-64-124-131.tp:47053 LAST_ACK
0 0 jonathan-laptop.l:43927 216-15-36-8.c3-0.:41414 ESTABLISHED
tcp 6732 0 jonathan-laptop.l:37195 126.106.50.60.klj:12000 ESTABLISHED
tcp 244 0 jonathan-laptop.l:41712 adsl6-213.her.for:45682 ESTABLISHED
tcp 420499 0 jonathan-laptop.l:51271 ABTS-TN-dynamic-1:30358 ESTABLISHED
tcp 158317 0 jonathan-laptop.l:33131 202-189.106-97.ta:26816 ESTABLISHED
tcp 10 0 jonathan-laptop.l:54899 pool-71-111-44-23:53366 ESTABLISHED
tcp 80 0 jonathan-laptop.l:49970 84.228.201.21:dircproxy ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 84 jonathan-laptop.l:50840 r6l83.net.upc.cz:6881 LAST_ACK
tcp 110736 0 jonathan-laptop.l:41878 ABTS-North-Dynami:28705 ESTABLISHED
tcp 4 0 jonathan-laptop.l:44573 82.131.69.93.cabl:11500 ESTABLISHED
tcp 194306 0 jonathan-laptop.l:59034 ip70-172-221-53.r:22540 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 1 jonathan-laptop.l:38184 c213-89-140-31.br:56236 LAST_ACK
tcp 0 1 jonathan-laptop.l:59318 static251.banetele:9876 LAST_ACK
tcp 131400 0 jonathan-laptop.l:38097 ool-4357ec4e.dyn.:54498 ESTABLISHED
tcp 38218 0 jonathan-laptop.l:52286 ABTS-North-Dynami:28705 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 19 jonathan-laptop.l:53801 adsl-150-190-132.:28672 LAST_ACK
tcp 0 1 jonathan-laptop.l:58269 ti0008a380-0195.b:38155 LAST_ACK
tcp 149504 0 jonathan-laptop.l:52503 142.80-202-168.ne:51413 ESTABLISHED
tcp 79 0 jonathan-laptop.l:48030 host-41.234.22.19:19689 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 406 jonathan-laptop.l:37870 c-24-19-138-197.h:10397 LAST_ACK
tcp 0 1 jonathan-laptop.l:53804 host-84-9-38-27.d:33594 LAST_ACK
tcp 249786 0 jonathan-laptop.l:45254 pc-89-197-214-201:63855 ESTABLISHED

unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12174
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12173 /tmp/.esd-1000/socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12172
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12162 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12161
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12160 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12159
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12157 /tmp/.ICE-unix/2909
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12156
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12158 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c07-0-2b35b5c0d4466
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12155
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12148 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c07-0-2b35b5c0d4466
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12147
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12146 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c07-0-2b35b5c0d4466
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12145
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12144 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c7f-0-635d4ba52f2e7
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12143
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12142 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c73-0-c927c2b63549
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12141
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12140 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c7c-0-3ac81c8248339
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12139
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12138 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c79-0-451ed9c2744d
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12137
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12136 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c76-0-67b9e50825945
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12135
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12134 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c82-0-4d6ee481b85c
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12133
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12056 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c88-0-2f1aa7172e68f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12055
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12052 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12051
unix 4 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12046 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12045
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12022 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 12021
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11903 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c73-0-c927c2b63549
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11902
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11901 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11900
unix 4 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11898 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11897
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11896 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c73-0-c927c2b63549
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11895
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11892 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c0a-0-174b38cd63d67
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11891
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11887 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11886
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11885 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11884
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11880 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c7c-0-3ac81c8248339
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11879
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11878 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11877
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11875 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11874
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11873 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c7c-0-3ac81c8248339
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11872
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11871 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c0a-0-174b38cd63d67
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11868
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11864 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11863
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11859 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c7f-0-635d4ba52f2e7
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11858
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11857 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11856
unix 4 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11854 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11853
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11852 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c7f-0-635d4ba52f2e7
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11851
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11850 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c0a-0-174b38cd63d67
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11847
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11843 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c76-0-67b9e50825945
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11842
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11841 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11840
unix 4 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11837 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11836
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11835 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c82-0-4d6ee481b85c
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11834
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11839 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11833
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11832 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c79-0-451ed9c2744d
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11831
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11830 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11829
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11826 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11825
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11823 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c79-0-451ed9c2744d
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11822
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11827 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c76-0-67b9e50825945
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11821
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11824 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11818
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11820 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c0a-0-174b38cd63d67
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11815
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11819 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c0a-0-174b38cd63d67
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11807
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11802 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11801
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11796 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11795
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11794 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c82-0-4d6ee481b85c
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11793
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11792 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c0a-0-174b38cd63d67
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11789
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11785 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11784
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11783 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11782
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11604 @/dbus-vfs-daemon/socket-CIeLYHob
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11603
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11605 @/dbus-vfs-daemon/socket-Mh1EVpHy
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11602
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11480 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11479
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11457 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11456
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11447 @/dbus-vfs-daemon/socket-rK5pn1Ht
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11444
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11448 @/dbus-vfs-daemon/socket-HTdAlLHp
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11443
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11433 @/dbus-vfs-daemon/socket-CI17mIAj
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11432
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11431 @/dbus-vfs-daemon/socket-X4CYWWVO
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11430
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11425 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11424
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11420 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c07-0-2b35b5c0d4466
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11419
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11416 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c3b-0-254867df278e9
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11415
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11414 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11413
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11412 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11411
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11409 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11408
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11403 @/dbus-vfs-daemon/socket-GX11IZn6
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11402
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11404 @/dbus-vfs-daemon/socket-0En9zeFu
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11401
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11384 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11383
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11378 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11377
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11373 @/dbus-vfs-daemon/socket-9iYhgLRR
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11372
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11374 @/dbus-vfs-daemon/socket-NPq0dOvJ
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11371
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11366 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11365
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11362 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11361
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11359 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11358
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11349 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11348
unix 4 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11327 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11326
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11325 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11324
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11323 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c3b-0-254867df278e9
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11322
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11321 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11320
unix 4 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11233 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11232
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11231 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c3b-0-254867df278e9
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11230
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11227 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c0a-0-174b38cd63d67
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11226
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11222 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11221
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11122 /tmp/.esd-1000/socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11121
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11113 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11112
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11107 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c07-0-2b35b5c0d4466
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11106
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11105 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c0a-0-174b38cd63d67
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11104
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11101 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11100
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11078 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11077
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11037 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c23-0-76f3676b3e9d3
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11036
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11033 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11032
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11028 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11027
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11025 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11024
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11015 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c19-0-41110c3cece62
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11014
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11011 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11010
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11005 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11004
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11001 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 11000
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10989 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10988
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10986 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c08-0-c5d5013a2041
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10985
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10982 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10981
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10977 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10976
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10969 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10968
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10967 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c10-0-373dcdbf83761
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10966
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10963 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10962
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10960 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10959
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10958 /tmp/.ICE-unix/2909
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10957
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10956 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10955
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10952 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10951
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10950 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c0f-0-373dcdbf7dc20
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10949
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10945 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10944
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10942 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10941
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10940 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10939
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10936 /tmp/.ICE-unix/2909
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10742
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10738 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10737
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10668 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c0d-0-7986de0e3d0de
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10667
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10664 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10663
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10629 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10628
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10626 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10625
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10623 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10622
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10522 /tmp/.ICE-unix/2909
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10521
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10519 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 6 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10518
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10446 /tmp/.ICE-unix/2909
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10445
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10444 /tmp/.esd-1000/socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10443
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10441 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10440
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10439 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c06-0-746b9cc68b89c
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10438
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10435 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10434
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10426 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10425
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10423 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-c07-0-2b35b5c0d4466
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10422
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10419 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10418
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10416 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10415
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10411 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10410
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10406 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 4 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10405
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10376 /tmp/.ICE-unix/2909
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10375
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10227 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10226
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10137 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-b50-0-12c5a54b82695
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10136
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10133 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10132
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10129 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10128
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10118 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-bc1-0-24e4ca4d73a27
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10117
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10114 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10113
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10107 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10106
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10101 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10100
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10009 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-baf-0-3c9c2ed92b2f1
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10008
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10005 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10004
unix 4 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10000 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9999
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9995 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9994
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9990 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9989
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9968 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9967
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9942 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9941
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9938 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-b5d-0-623f69b094189
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9937
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9934 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9933
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9890 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9889
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9887 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9886
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9884 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9883
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9858 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9857
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9850 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9849
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9830 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9829
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9828 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba2-0-43503313a368a
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9827
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9824 /tmp/orbit-jonathan/linc-ba4-0-35a78cbe8ba9f
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9823
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9817 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9816
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9556 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9555
unix 4 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9541 @/tmp/dbus-JopdrigWnC
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9540
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9501 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9500
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9487 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9486
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9485
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9484
unix 6 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9471 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9470
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 9345
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9251 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9250
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9240 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 9239
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 8848 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 8847
unix 4 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 8853 @/tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 8845
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7826 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7825
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 7715
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7714 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7713
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 7712
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7711 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7710
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7640 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7639
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7634
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7633
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 7631
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7572 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7571
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 7568
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7524 /var/run/acpid.socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7523
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7370 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7369
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 7366
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 7308
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7307 /var/run/acpid.socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7304
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7298 @/var/run/hald/dbus-jSXW61TAnb
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7296
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7294 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7293
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7289 @/var/run/hald/dbus-jSXW61TAnb
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7278
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7254 @/var/run/hald/dbus-jSXW61TAnb
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7253
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7251 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7250
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7108 @/var/run/hald/dbus-jSXW61TAnb
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7026
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7107 @/var/run/hald/dbus-jSXW61TAnb
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7016
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7092 @/var/run/hald/dbus-jSXW61TAnb
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 6950
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 7087 @/var/run/hald/dbus-jSXW61TAnb
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 6781
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 6659 @/var/run/hald/dbus-nDaK5lEesB
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 6658
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 6636 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 6635
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 6622 /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 6621
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 6614
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 6613
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 6441
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 6440
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 6396

plz if someone try connect to see if we're live. Buddhabuntu is still being copied to /home/ftp so all files are there over time. Its like 8gb total. Plz as this is protodev/live download selectively and mindfully. I don't know about security issues so if someone could get on that help would be most welcome.

jasballz
March 25th, 2009, 05:41 PM
idk anything about ftp; i'm a complete newb. Plus I tried to post as much netstat -a output as possible but my terminal window did not keep it all so plz be patient.

Live at 12:41pm EST 03-25-09 will be live for a minimum of two hours.

Neo_The_User
March 25th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I'd like to develop for Ubuntu Buddhist Edition and join up with jasballz since all the other Ubuntus are terrible at keeping up to date with the OpenGL and X apps and libs especially Mesa. Could I compile the kernels too? The stock Ubuntu kernels ship with way too much debugging and extremely rare hardware support that nobody uses. The OpenGL python bindings are old, python 3.0 is old, everything is pretty much old.

jasballz
March 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM
right now my ip is 24.103.201.39 try sudo ftp _that_ip_address to connect pword developers.

be blessed,

Jasballz

Neo_The_User
March 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM
too many new posts. use edit button...

jasballz
March 25th, 2009, 06:26 PM
running live tests with irc helpers

some problems connecting with pword

may use irc to 'send files' ?

jasballz
March 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM
im very hopeful so...any help welcom error 530

neo: who made you moderator? anyway admin/mods feel free to compact my posts or delete once I post the "how to connect" info

my vsftpd.conf:

# Example config file /etc/vsftpd.conf
#
# The default compiled in settings are fairly paranoid. This sample file
# loosens things up a bit, to make the ftp daemon more usable.
# Please see vsftpd.conf.5 for all compiled in defaults.
#
# READ THIS: This example file is NOT an exhaustive list of vsftpd options.
# Please read the vsftpd.conf.5 manual page to get a full idea of vsftpd's
# capabilities.
#
#
# Run standalone? vsftpd can run either from an inetd or as a standalone
# daemon started from an initscript.
listen=YES
#
# Run standalone with IPv6?
# Like the listen parameter, except vsftpd will listen on an IPv6 socket
# instead of an IPv4 one. This parameter and the listen parameter are mutually
# exclusive.
#listen_ipv6=YES
#
# Allow anonymous FTP? (Beware - allowed by default if you comment this out).
anonymous_enable=NO
#
# Uncomment this to allow local users to log in.
#local_enable=YES
#
# Uncomment this to enable any form of FTP write command.
#write_enable=YES
#
# Default umask for local users is 077. You may wish to change this to 022,
# if your users expect that (022 is used by most other ftpd's)
#local_umask=022
#
# Uncomment this to allow the anonymous FTP user to upload files. This only
# has an effect if the above global write enable is activated. Also, you will
# obviously need to create a directory writable by the FTP user.
#anon_upload_enable=YES
#
# Uncomment this if you want the anonymous FTP user to be able to create
# new directories.
#anon_mkdir_write_enable=YES
#
# Activate directory messages - messages given to remote users when they
# go into a certain directory.
dirmessage_enable=YES
#
# Activate logging of uploads/downloads.
xferlog_enable=YES
#
# Make sure PORT transfer connections originate from port 20 (ftp-data).
connect_from_port_20=YES
#
# If you want, you can arrange for uploaded anonymous files to be owned by
# a different user. Note! Using "root" for uploaded files is not
# recommended!
#chown_uploads=YES
#chown_username=whoever
#
# You may override where the log file goes if you like. The default is shown
# below.
#xferlog_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
#
# If you want, you can have your log file in standard ftpd xferlog format
#xferlog_std_format=YES
#
# You may change the default value for timing out an idle session.
#idle_session_timeout=600
#
# You may change the default value for timing out a data connection.
#data_connection_timeout=120
#
# It is recommended that you define on your system a unique user which the
# ftp server can use as a totally isolated and unprivileged user.
#nopriv_user=ftpsecure
#
# Enable this and the server will recognise asynchronous ABOR requests. Not
# recommended for security (the code is non-trivial). Not enabling it,
# however, may confuse older FTP clients.
#async_abor_enable=YES
#
# By default the server will pretend to allow ASCII mode but in fact ignore
# the request. Turn on the below options to have the server actually do ASCII
# mangling on files when in ASCII mode.
# Beware that on some FTP servers, ASCII support allows a denial of service
# attack (DoS) via the command "SIZE /big/file" in ASCII mode. vsftpd
# predicted this attack and has always been safe, reporting the size of the
# raw file.
# ASCII mangling is a horrible feature of the protocol.
#ascii_upload_enable=YES
#ascii_download_enable=YES
#
# You may fully customise the login banner string:
#ftpd_banner=Welcome to blah FTP service.
#
# You may specify a file of disallowed anonymous e-mail addresses. Apparently
# useful for combatting certain DoS attacks.
#deny_email_enable=YES
# (default follows)
#banned_email_file=/etc/vsftpd.banned_emails
#
# You may restrict local users to their home directories. See the FAQ for
# the possible risks in this before using chroot_local_user or
# chroot_list_enable below.
#chroot_local_user=YES
#
# You may specify an explicit list of local users to chroot() to their home
# directory. If chroot_local_user is YES, then this list becomes a list of
# users to NOT chroot().
#chroot_list_enable=YES
# (default follows)
#chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list
#
# You may activate the "-R" option to the builtin ls. This is disabled by
# default to avoid remote users being able to cause excessive I/O on large
# sites. However, some broken FTP clients such as "ncftp" and "mirror" assume
# the presence of the "-R" option, so there is a strong case for enabling it.
#ls_recurse_enable=YES
#
#
# Debian customization
#
# Some of vsftpd's settings don't fit the Debian filesystem layout by
# default. These settings are more Debian-friendly.
#
# This option should be the name of a directory which is empty. Also, the
# directory should not be writable by the ftp user. This directory is used
# as a secure chroot() jail at times vsftpd does not require filesystem
# access.
secure_chroot_dir=/var/run/vsftpd
#
# This string is the name of the PAM service vsftpd will use.
pam_service_name=vsftpd
#
# This option specifies the location of the RSA certificate to use for SSL
# encrypted connections.
rsa_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
# This option specifies the location of the RSA key to use for SSL
# encrypted connections.
rsa_private_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key

jasballz
March 25th, 2009, 06:49 PM
uhh, someplace says I need berkley db to setup virtual users?

jasballz
March 25th, 2009, 07:42 PM
i am really exhausted and skipping class for this so if someone doesn't help I am pissed. :((

](*,)[-o< may the FTP host work...may the FTP host work...may the FTP host work...so be it.

Neo_The_User
March 25th, 2009, 07:49 PM
hey i'm just saying that it would be easier to just use the edit button. btw use megaupload.com to upload files until you fix your FTP server.

jasballz
March 25th, 2009, 08:11 PM
im as sick as a dog. Must be bad karma....ughhhhhhhhhhh....

Some questions for ftp familiary folks:

How to establish an ftp?
How to maintain?
How to get around proxies/firewalls?
how to encrypt?
How to find your ip address?
How to establish virtual drive?

changed v~blahabalaha.....conf:

# Example config file /etc/vsftpd.conf
#
# The default compiled in settings are fairly paranoid. This sample file
# loosens things up a bit, to make the ftp daemon more usable.
# Please see vsftpd.conf.5 for all compiled in defaults.
#
# READ THIS: This example file is NOT an exhaustive list of vsftpd options.
# Please read the vsftpd.conf.5 manual page to get a full idea of vsftpd's
# capabilities.
#
#
# Run standalone? vsftpd can run either from an inetd or as a standalone
# daemon started from an initscript.
listen=YES
#
# Run standalone with IPv6?
# Like the listen parameter, except vsftpd will listen on an IPv6 socket
# instead of an IPv4 one. This parameter and the listen parameter are mutually
# exclusive.
#listen_ipv6=YES
#
# Allow anonymous FTP? (Beware - allowed by default if you comment this out).
anonymous_enable=NO
#
#local_enable=YES
#
#write_enable=YES
#
# Default umask for local users is 077. You may wish to change this to 022,
# if your users expect that (022 is used by most other ftpd's)
#local_umask=022
#
# Uncomment this to allow the anonymous FTP user to upload files. This only
# has an effect if the above global write enable is activated. Also, you will
#anon_upload_enable=YES
#
# new directories.
#
# Activate directory messages - messages given to remote users when they
# go into a certain directory.
dirmessage_enable=YES
#
xferlog_enable=YES
#
# Make sure PORT transfer connections originate from port 20 (ftp-data).
connect_from_port_20=YES
#
# If you want, you can arrange for uploaded anonymous files to be owned by
# a different user. Note! Using "root" for uploaded files is not
# recommended!
#chown_uploads=YES
#chown_username=whoever
#
# You may override where the log file goes if you like. The default is shown
# below.
#xferlog_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
#
# If you want, you can have your log file in standard ftpd xferlog format
#xferlog_std_format=YES
#
# You may change the default value for timing out an idle session.
#idle_session_timeout=600
#
# You may change the default value for timing out a data connection.
#data_connection_timeout=120
#
# It is recommended that you define on your system a unique user which the
# ftp server can use as a totally isolated and unprivileged user.
#nopriv_user=ftpsecure
#
# Enable this and the server will recognise asynchronous ABOR requests. Not
# recommended for security (the code is non-trivial). Not enabling it,
# however, may confuse older FTP clients.
#async_abor_enable=YES
#
# By default the server will pretend to allow ASCII mode but in fact ignore
# the request. Turn on the below options to have the server actually do ASCII
# mangling on files when in ASCII mode.
# Beware that on some FTP servers, ASCII support allows a denial of service
# attack (DoS) via the command "SIZE /big/file" in ASCII mode. vsftpd
# predicted this attack and has always been safe, reporting the size of the
# raw file.
# ASCII mangling is a horrible feature of the protocol.
#ascii_upload_enable=YES
#ascii_download_enable=YES
#
# You may fully customise the login banner string:
#ftpd_banner=Welcome to blah FTP service.
#
# You may specify a file of disallowed anonymous e-mail addresses. Apparently
# useful for combatting certain DoS attacks.
#deny_email_enable=YES
# (default follows)
#banned_email_file=/etc/vsftpd.banned_emails
#
# You may restrict local users to their home directories. See the FAQ for
# the possible risks in this before using chroot_local_user or
# chroot_list_enable below.
#chroot_local_user=YES
#
# You may specify an explicit list of local users to chroot() to their home
# directory. If chroot_local_user is YES, then this list becomes a list of
# users to NOT chroot().
#chroot_list_enable=YES
# (default follows)
#chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list
#
# You may activate the "-R" option to the builtin ls. This is disabled by
# default to avoid remote users being able to cause excessive I/O on large
# sites. However, some broken FTP clients such as "ncftp" and "mirror" assume
# the presence of the "-R" option, so there is a strong case for enabling it.
#ls_recurse_enable=YES
#
#
# Debian customization
#
# Some of vsftpd's settings don't fit the Debian filesystem layout by
# default. These settings are more Debian-friendly.
#
# This option should be the name of a directory which is empty. Also, the
# directory should not be writable by the ftp user. This directory is used
# as a secure chroot() jail at times vsftpd does not require filesystem
# access.
secure_chroot_dir=/var/run/vsftpd
#
# This string is the name of the PAM service vsftpd will use.
pam_service_name=ftp
#
# This option specifies the location of the RSA certificate to use for SSL
# encrypted connections.
rsa_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
# This option specifies the location of the RSA key to use for SSL
# encrypted connections.
rsa_private_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
# Allow anonymous FTP?
anonymous_enable=YES
# The directory which vsftpd will try to change
# into after an anonymous login. (Default = /var/ftp)
anon_root=/data/directory
local_enable=YES
# (Needed even if you want local users to be able to upload files)
write_enable=YES
# Uncomment to allow the anonymous FTP user to upload files. This only
# has an effect if global write enable is activated. Also, you will
#anon_upload_enable=YES
# new directories.
xferlog_enable=YES
# You may override where the log file goes if you like.
# The default is shown below.
xferlog_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log

check_shell=NO
listen=YES
anon_root=/home/ftp

what are ideal settings???? :confused:

Alan Coleman
March 25th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Does any buddhists want an UBE?

#! /bin/bash

yes i think some people might get something good form the Buddhist influence.

Neo_The_User
March 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Can somebody please help jasballz as we are both serious about the Ubuntu Buddhist Edition. If everybody asks for Ubuntu Buddhist Editon, then the lead developer needs help with an FTP server for Ubuntu Buddhist Editon, and nobody offers assistance, this thread might as well just be deleted and pretend that none of us ever had the conversation.

All the best.

jasballz
March 25th, 2009, 08:29 PM
](*,) this is so fracking frustrating. I quit for today. I'm sick as a dog because of bad karma lol and I have NO IDEA where to begin.

For someone to do : post an easy to understand guide on how to use vsftpd to host

and how can you port the GNOME WLAN panel icon to KDE? I think buddhabuntu should run in KDE as it runs personalbrain better.

Be blessed,
jasballz

plz review previous posts for updates. still live 333 pm est tho soon will be not live. Had errors 530 pword and connection refused in testing via help from irc ppl. Some irc admins at #ubuntu are going to be reincarnated as hell-beings because they are stupid. I can think of one, pici. lol. Plus they would stink as bodhisattvas. uhhh.... look at buddhabuntu.8m.net blog and here for jobs you can do with opensource dev ... w/e...](*,)

Someone turn a prayer wheel or something....

KiwiNZ
March 25th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Can somebody please help jasballz as we are both serious about the Ubuntu Buddhist Edition. If everybody asks for Ubuntu Buddhist Editon, then the lead developer needs help with an FTP server for Ubuntu Buddhist Editon, and nobody offers assistance, this thread might as well just be deleted and pretend that none of us ever had the conversation.

All the best.

patience is a virtue. Not all good things happen in the time frame you may wish for.

remember all who visit here have lives outside Ubuntu.

Neo_The_User
March 25th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I don't. I have no life outside Ubuntu as this is my chance to learn real programming before I reach my mid 20s looking for a job making Playstation 4 games for EA Black BOX.

anyway, help would be greatly appreciated.

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 12:59 AM
patience is a virtue. Not all good things happen in the time frame you may wish for.

remember all who visit here have lives outside Ubuntu.

patience==hype==good

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM
still trying to figure out vsftpd

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 01:16 AM
btw does ne body know how to make an AMOR theme we need a zen master / old enlightened sage

OK, I got a good terminal / "ftp localhost" then pword problems.

My IP is 149.76.205.135 and most weekdays I am live 8amEST or 1130amEST til about 5pm EST . Tonight I am live it is 8:24PM EST working on 5000 oops could not open chroot() list, file:etc/vsftpd.chroot_list and pword no good. twolane on irc says not a good ping tho earlier at Linger Longer Cafe I had a good ping from another user.

dmizer
March 26th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Are you trying to host the FTP server on your own personal machine?

If so, you should try the 3rd link in my signature which has a fantastic FTP server tutorial. (edit) Be sure to follow the directions under "B- The secure way"

As for the IP address problem, you need to look into getting a free dynamic host account like dyndns: www.dyndns.com

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Are you trying to host the FTP server on your own personal machine?

If so, you should try the 3rd link in my signature which has a fantastic FTP server tutorial. (edit) Be sure to follow the directions under "B- The secure way"

As for the IP address problem, you need to look into getting a free dynamic host account like dyndns: www.dyndns.com

gr8 u r a godsend. Twolane at ubuntu irc also a bodhisattva recommended ssh. trying that out since i tried vsftpd all day. making slow steady progress==GOLD soon

the dynamic link site is dead

auhh,, following guide ... scrapping vsftpd

dmizer
March 26th, 2009, 01:46 AM
For SSH, check here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AdvancedOpenSSH

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 02:37 AM
<strikethru>ok I'm using Proftpd and I get a connect at "Ftp localhost" but then Connected to localhost.
500 OOPS: vsftpd: not found: directory given in 'secure_chroot_dir':/var/run/vsftpd

got a good ftp start at etc/init.d/proftpd start help welkom

it looks like according to netstat -lntp I have ssh on some ports and vsftpd on others. how to fix?

dankeshen

jasballz</strikethru>

fixed it

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 02:46 AM
i think i have a live host: ftp.buddhabuntu.org try connect user1 user2 or user3 pword shouldnt be required tho its developers. Uhhhhh, let me see, should be live tommorrow at 11am EST at the lastest 8:05 AM est earliest. nvr mind ppl cant resolve it.

dmizer
March 26th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Just a friendly reminder.

There is to be no religious discussion involved in this thread except where directly relevant to development of Buddhabuntu.

dmizer
March 26th, 2009, 02:52 AM
i think i have a live host: ftp.buddhabuntu.org try connect user1 user2 or user3 pword shouldnt be required tho its developers. Uhhhhh, let me see, should be live tommorrow at 11am EST at the lastest 8:05 AM est earliest. nvr mind ppl cant resolve it.

buddhabuntu.org is not a valid domain. If you have an IP address, I will test.

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 03:01 AM
buddhabuntu.org is not a valid domain. If you have an IP address, I will test.

domoarigato/dankeshen. My IP is this at buddhabuntu.8m.net / blog right now but I had a moderator over at ubuntu IRC try it out (sprinkmeier) and he said no go....I might have dual running ssh and proftpd as this is very frustrating. :confused: I am a complete newb to ftp hosting.

[-o< May my laptop go live ftp...may my laptop go live ftp...may my laptop go live ftp...or ssh...

n e way dankeshen. Thank you for moderation as ppl do get off topic :mrgreen: you are also welkom to dev...idk if you are into machine learning but I have a neural network to port and complearn and IBM PML to interface...just saying...

mumble...mumble...mumble...

:mrgreen:

it has to do with portforwarding or firewall at my campus isp / wifi router. I need a solution to that as thats where Im live most.

dmizer
March 26th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Perhaps you should consider using launchpad as your development platform then? https://launchpad.net/

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 03:08 AM
i think im going to use dropbox or apache whats launchpad?

hmmm, looks interesting//very nice...must read more.

I have no idea how to use it tho, tho synchronistically I alreddy had an acct there.

did you get a good ip address connect? its in the buddhabuntu blog.

badmedic
March 26th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Maybe someone could develop a form of login karma where how productive you are in a session determines how well your system runs on your next reboot?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

I actually think it's a nice idea... and could imagine some beautiful themes could be developed from Buddhist art and symbols. Are there any applications out there specific to Buddhism?

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 03:25 AM
someone try connecting to my ip b4 I forsake proftpd 149.76.205.135

try GNOME top panel Places/Connect to Server

it requires a username try user1 developers as user and pwrd respectively interfacing dropbox now

I interfaced dropbox too tho I have no idea how that works. So presently running proftpd and dropbox. Waiting to make sure proftpd belongs in the crapper b4 switching to apache (and n e way I get apache errs)

dmizer
March 26th, 2009, 03:29 AM
i think im going to use dropbox or apache whats launchpad?

hmmm, looks interesting//very nice...must read more.

I have no idea how to use it tho, tho synchronistically I alreddy had an acct there.

did you get a good ip address connect? its in the buddhabuntu blog.

I got a connection but could not log in. I highly suggest that you use launchpad for this rather than your personal computer. This is the official development platform for Ubuntu. In some ways, it's similar to sourceforge.

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Maybe someone could develop a form of login karma where how productive you are in a session determines how well your system runs on your next reboot?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

I actually think it's a nice idea... and could imagine some beautiful themes could be developed from Buddhist art and symbols. Are there any applications out there specific to Buddhism?

right now, not so much, except LinuxLiveCD for Buddhist Studies and a Zen garden.jar. Someone needs to port a vbscript koan generator I have at jon2000.8m.com I might use a porter I found with google and plz feel free to dev

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I got a connection but could not log in. I highly suggest that you use launchpad for this rather than your personal computer. This is the official development platform for Ubuntu. In some ways, it's similar to sourceforge.

ok, that's good. The user name and password are user1 and developers. I wonder if thats why my laptop crashed. was it like 1050pmEST?

Uhhh, ok I have to register. How do you upload at launchpad. Def will do.

btw if you know french plz do my quia lab for me chapitre 9 lol jk

I have dropbox live but don't know how to work that either

is there any specific reason why you don't think ftp?

im also sharing the folder w/e that means

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I'd like to develop for Ubuntu Buddhist Edition and join up with jasballz since all the other Ubuntus are terrible at keeping up to date with the OpenGL and X apps and libs especially Mesa. Could I compile the kernels too? The stock Ubuntu kernels ship with way too much debugging and extremely rare hardware support that nobody uses. The OpenGL python bindings are old, python 3.0 is old, everything is pretty much old.

that'd be gr8 since I have no idea when it comes to kernel programming. Once I get my ftp/dropbox/proftpd/launchpad live you will be included in the team the asciitxt already has some thankus. Plus maybe you could figure out complearn / IBM PML / Neural Net / User Adaptiveness interfacing for the O.S. I have a neural net thingamajig I have to upload excel vbscript will port to java tommorrow. With all your experience in vector math and PS3 programming ur help is welcome. DUDE you could do some rocking effects! ideas: indra's net, illusion, samsara, satori, rebirth, karma, nirvana, emptiness, pax (I especially would like indra's net effect as it is about interdependence and you could have virtual desktops exist in nodal spheres that reflect all other desktops, very interbeing plz work on that ! FOR DESKTOP SWITCHING OR WINDOW SWITCHING INSTEAD OF ring switcher or compiz w/e)

my IP proftpd hosting offline 11:05PM EST.

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 04:07 AM

Yes, especially for bugs and network interfacing /debugging

I have not registered if you would like to post the buddhabuntu wiki there id appreciate it.

And how to use dropbox?

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 04:14 AM
To do: kernel prgramming, devving Indra's Net ~compiz effect as desktop manager / windowswitcher

neo's on that.

Also plz tell me how I can port apps like the ndiswrapper/madwifi that I'm using in Jaunty Gnome to KDE and proftpd. I have no wlan in KDE and would like to make KDE default window manager (unless neo comes out with a kick *** mod/ buddhabuntu compiz beryl IDK what he has up his sleeve!

may this be the best distro ever...may this be the best distro ever...may this be the best ubuntu distro ever...

be blessed,

Jasballz

Neo_The_User
March 26th, 2009, 04:50 AM
as I stated before, vector mathematics is not my thing. :/

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
neo_the_user do you think you could do the indra's net thing?

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Here's a new Zenbuntu logo

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM
dropbox won't start even tho its in system tray and apache is acting weird to tho proftpd gives me a good localconnect

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 02:17 PM
uh, ran my buddhabuntubetaI.iso and it looks like reconstructor didn't change the splashes. ran it with vmware. Itd be nice if ppl could choose their sect and then have buddhabuntus logo splash on install change accordingly

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM
according to dmizer best shot at hosting is launchpad.com. registered there waiting to host files. also i guess torrenting should still work but itd be really, really slow. i dont know if proftpd is any good so keep me updated/vice versa

also accepting requests for xchat filesending on ubuntu irc email me and we can meet then plz seed remember that alpha III system DVD is still live

jasballz
March 26th, 2009, 07:56 PM
How do you upload to launchpad?

currently working on other sect logos first tibetuntu

Neo_The_User
March 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
neo_the_user do you think you could do the indra's net thing?

no. sorry.

blumountain
March 28th, 2009, 09:08 PM
oo relegious buntu.im only crazy bou he real ubuntu.
this is first anyway..thanks i discover an ubuntu myself

jasballz
March 30th, 2009, 02:00 AM
no. sorry.

:(

jasballz
March 30th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Finally having some luck hosting the files :P over at megashares.com Uploading 5 1gb parts of the LiveDVD today (total: 4.3gb) and then AudioDVD tommorrow or the day after.

You may have to buy a membership to megashares.com to download as they ar 1gb files.

If someone would like to host the files as a torrent at demonoid once they're uploaded that'd be much appreciated!

btw who is devving?

Neo_the_User is working on some package files and I was contacted by a Joey Stanford on some devving but haven't heard from him. Megashares.com is gr8 for uploading so far but seems to charge downloads so how to upload to Launchpad.net? Or does someone want me to send the files via IRC so that you can host a torrent? Beta II is in the works once I get neo_the_User's work and compile it.

I think the whole LiveDVD should be online by tommorrow as Im averaging 2 hrs per gb.

Is anybody working on the indras' net idea and do you think it is a good one or stupid? I think that it is rocking if it is user friendly. And IBM PML interfacing and complearn.

I might check out Flash programming or something because if I were to dev the Indras Net effect I would have to learn python or w/e and I wouldn't know where to start. My bg is in visual basic and c.

Also if someone could make an AMOR zen master or buddha to walk around the desktop and KDE themes for sects.

jasballz
March 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet, but here are some things I think should be in a Buddhist Ubuntu Version: A copy of the Lotus Sutra in some form or another. A meditation timer with relaxing music and perhase a virtual candle or pattern to meditate watching. Also, there should be a sangha feature that will link you to a Buddhist network of all the other users of BuBuntu that will let you all chat in real time or something through some sort of IRC room or something. Also, a graphical theme in bamboo greens might look good.

Kemrin comes up with some good ideas. I don't know if I've included the lotus suttra and I think that we need an IRC. Goto Ubuntu IRC /join #buddhabuntu

jasballz
March 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM
So it looks like there has been a lot of discussion here about this. Did anything ever get resolved? I would love to help with art work, if this actually happens. Even if it is just a wallpaper and icon set, it could help market Ubuntu.

Grab a rockstar. ;) Somebody PM these users plz, i don't have privileges.

Lycah feel free to do some sect specific themes. I couldn't PM you cuz I guess that I do not have 75 posts and aryah as they both expressed interest about theme-creation in prev. posts. Also amerikkanu said he'd/she'd help with deving sanskrit oriented things. So maybe a sanskrit dictionary / translation like the Buddhist LinuxLiveCD that someone pointed out that (when I tried) didn't have what it boasted.

Also rainvoice has a Buddhist calendor. Lyceum said he'd develop artwork. Angelbeast has suggested some application ideas but may not have ability to program. 7mkgw7q said he would help out. sealbhach said he may be able to mod conky.

Much appreciated if someone PMs these users that buddhabuntu.8m.net is live and on launchpad. Plz do w/e you want to do and upload progress at this blog. Also IDK how but goto launchpad.net and add yourself as a part of the team in /buduntu

neo_the_user is devving 3d effects and I'm over at compiz forums to see what I can do for an indra's net nodal sphere effect. I haven't heard from Joey Stanford. Also plz contact seisan.

Remember this whole proj. is open sourced (website included). buddhabuntu pword: developers post in ascending format. megashares upload speed varies. And who wants to seed the torrent?

I sent an email to zdnet and wired magazine about this distro so would somebody else mind googling some buddhist / tech sites and plugging? ALso we still need someone to buy the site.

For default window manager I was thinking KDE tho thats up for grabs. I don't have WLAN access in KDE for some reason.

user list to PM:
Lycah - Sect themes
aryah - Sect themes
amerikkanu - Sanskrit Dict.
rainvoice - Bud Calendar
Lyceum - artwork
seisan - idea originator and IDK what he wants to do
angelbeast- apps
sealbhach - conky mod
7mkgw7q - said he'd help

someone with priveleges please PM users. Much appreciated.

Be blessed,
Gassho,
Jasballz

irc ubuntu channel /join #buddhabuntu
i'm live most weekdays 11am EST to 5PM EST sometimes earlier 8AM EST. :X -SHOUT-

jasballz
March 31st, 2009, 01:22 PM
has anybody PMd these users? or could a moderator give me PM privelege?

dmizer
March 31st, 2009, 02:33 PM
has anybody PMd these users? or could a moderator give me PM privelege?

If you are unable to send PMs, please open a support request in the Resolution Center: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123

jasballz
March 31st, 2009, 08:37 PM
heres another alternate buddhabuntu logo

rainvoice
March 31st, 2009, 11:48 PM
About name and Zen emphasis i think while more contributions will come and the project grows, diversity of the distro will also grow. So i wouldn't mind that much about the name for now and instead march forward to get the actual work done. The logo is really funny and may also make it's evolution on the way. Final labeling may come with time :-).

ben2talk
April 1st, 2009, 06:13 PM
About name and Zen emphasis i think while more contributions will come and the project grows, diversity of the distro will also grow. So i wouldn't mind that much about the name for now and instead march forward to get the actual work done. The logo is really funny and may also make it's evolution on the way. Final labeling may come with time :-).

I see nothing 'zen' in the use of painfully bright shocking pink unfortunately. Ubuntu introduced me to shades very easy on my eyes, and appears altogether more peaceful and easy going than the colours you employ here.

I couldn't take this seriously after seeing this forum.

jasballz
April 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM
I see nothing 'zen' in the use of painfully bright shocking pink unfortunately. Ubuntu introduced me to shades very easy on my eyes, and appears altogether more peaceful and easy going than the colours you employ here.

I couldn't take this seriously after seeing this forum.

I agree, who modded the colors? (and BTW how did you do that? My CP is green and I didn't change that) I thot it was just a glitch on my pc. Presently Im asking at answers.yahoo.com and here--anyone know--moderators? lyceum brought up the legality of using the extension "buntu" and the use of the ubuntu pic in the Buddhabuntu logo. I was under two understandings: 1) that any copyrighted picture if significantly modified comes under the ownership of that artist (in that case, me for the present buddhabuntu logo and name, also on wikipedia commons --This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 License. In short: you are free to share and make derivative works of the file under the conditions that you appropriately attribute it, and that you distribute it only under a license identical to this one. Official license -- I mean, Ubuntu is opensourced and so is Buddhabuntu so really I thot it was 'everybody's'. So clarification is needed. Lyceum--feel free to continue w/e mods you like, thats applicable to everybody, both homepage and project is completely opensourced. In the end, h/e I would appreciate a marketing test on the numerous buddhabuntu logos. I know that my university tested their recent recruiting packages at a test highschool--if we could do something like that it would be nice but I'm thinking a poll in the end I'm thinking one main, popular 'Buddhabuntu' logo and then sect specific logos, Id like "tibetuntu", "purelanduntu", "zenbuntu", and so on, that turn on as users describe their religious preferences.

Lyceum works well with deadlines so as 9.04 / Jaunty is being released April 24th Buddhabuntu Beta II (including neo_the_user's packages--hopefully-- and lyceum's wallpaper) will be live. Right now its w/e developmental version Jaunty is at and Beta I is being uploaded to megashares.com for download. 1 gig is already available. Two DVDs. LiveDVD at 4.3gb, and Audio at 3.6. I split the LiveDVD into 5 1 gb parts at megashares.com, tho its being difficult (slow). I tend to cancel the download if Im not averaging >100kbs therefore 2hrs per gig. Plus it freezes my browser. Tonight Im online til 10, at irc #buddhabuntu at ubuntu channel. So hopefully I can do w/e, upload another gig or two. I'm going to get at neo_the_user at his wiki to see how things are going and if his packages will be complete by the deadline. And hopefully the other users I PMd other than rain and lyceum will get at me. I'd like to hear from Seisan. Rain has a Buddhist calendar already and said he'd get on helping by May or June since he's real bogged down. So I'm looking forward to that.

I went to Compiz forums to see if they could do anything about "Indra's Effect" but I got no replies. When I get to it I'll download the compiz source code and see what I can do, is there a way to include polls in these posts? Because I'm going to have to post a number of polls about these ideas and their popularity.

KAH! :-x

:mrgreen: domoarigatso,
Be blessed,
gassho,

jasballz :mrgreen:

jasballz
April 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM
So far via answers.yahoo.com there shouldn't be a problem using "Buddhabuntu" as a name or the logo. I.D. really care if lyceum wants to change the name or logo--make sect-specifics if you can--but should be no prob as Ubuntu is open sourced. Also thinking that because of the helpfulness of the moderators there isn't a problem. But keep us updated.

Another possible copyright issue are the files in the library. I have included a disclaimer that says that if you download you are aware of the copyrights/ h/e I do believe that most of the materials are public domain for three reasons. 1) Most of the suttas date back to preChristian times. and 2) Most of the ebooks are from buddhanet.net and are available for free distrubution, 3) and that most of the more 'modern' materials or books have copyrights older than 20 years, therefore they do not apply anymore. But if someone could do the research once its uploaded and make sure that we're safe, that'd be nice.

I wanted to upload my professor's Richard Reilly's book, "The Ethics of Compassion" a comparative philosophy book of Buddhist and Christian ethics, h/e he said I'd have to get permission from the publisher. So if I have to do anything for the books including so far it may be just that if copyrights apply still. I'd like to still include his book so I may contact his publisher as well.

Phreaker
April 1st, 2009, 08:00 PM
I am interested in this project.
Please let me know when I can beta test :}

jasballz
April 1st, 2009, 08:18 PM
I am interested in this project.
Please let me know when I can beta test :}

Will do. :mrgreen:

devvers: if you haven't gotten out the RockStar and popcorn yet, do so now; ;-)

note: there are wallpapers available at zenguide.com that will be included in the Beta II expansion. There is now a poll on "Indra's Effect" at buddhabuntu home so feel free to give ur opinion. Once lyceum's done his art we'll post that / upload Beta II and poll on the logo. As most probably already know there's four main different buddhabuntu logos, the 'universal" logo that's my avatar, the original buddhabuntu logo at the homepage and wikipedia article / zenbuntu logo, the tibetan logo (id like to change the subscript to 'tibetuntu') and the new one I uploaded the other day with Buddha eyes. Lyceum's redoing the name and logo as he sees fit and I'm excited to see what he comes up with.

I suggest users "wget -r " a number of buddhist sutta/library collections they may find across the net for upload if the copyright laws allow for inclusion into Buddhabuntu. So far the library includes things for tibetans, dzogchen, zen, general buddhists, psychology, and meditation guides, but not so much pureland, or other sects, so we'll take care of that once Beta I is live.

Still looking for someone to buy the site, maybe Ill get a debit card and buy myself. Also looking for sponsorship at google. Ppl interested in devving please PM me or sign up at launchpad.net/buduntu and raymonjc@sbu.edu . Also looking for folks to plug and write articles at popular buddhist / tech sites or magazines like WIRED and znet/cnet and beliefnet.com and wherever else. Alpha III System DVD is online at Buddhabuntu.8m.net/myfiles and mediafire but its pretty difficult to download as its like 150 25mb files. Beta I is being uploaded to megashares.com in 5 split files (the live SystemDVD comes with library of suttas, user icons, bgs, Why the Bodhihdharma came from the East movie and Tibetan Book of the Dead movie, and suttas are pdf, htm and txt, a lot from buddhanet.net others from demonoid, also complearn, IBM PML, and PersonalBrain apps--PersonalBrain's a nice nodal/networking indexing tool I reccommend importing the library to). AudioDVD will be uploaded after, includes buddhanet.net audio ebooks, audio suttas, and music. Buddhanet says its OK to distribute its files as long as its always for free, and copyright issues are being researched. Until then it is assumed that if you download you understand the copyright laws and their application (dealt with in a previous post).

I want Users to be able to fill out a profile on their buddhist/sect so that the O.S. will adjust themes and logos accordingly, plus incorporate IBM PML and complearn or w/e other machine learning packages in order to make the O.S. completely user adaptive in an amazon.com-like way (preferably even more user-adaptive than that) but IDK, that's prolly one of the last things we'll do.

Will post a poll on logos for best one, but want to do a real-world marketing test--prolly to Buddhists--ideas? Maybe we can poll a number of Buddhist monasteries / sects by email. I know White Wind Zen Community wants to try Buddhabuntu (ottawa, canada). The Zen of Ubuntu Interview they did is in the root directory as I think its very relevant; but probably need to get in contact with a number of them and maybe techies too. Then there's the fact that WWZC uses Fluxbox vs both GNOME and KDE. IDK y, tho would like to find out. My experience has been that Fluxbox and Enlightenment aren't so grand; I prefer KDE, but really don't care as I feel that this is a interpersonal project.

domoarigatso,

be blessed,
gassho,

jasballz

jasballz
April 3rd, 2009, 02:18 AM
I have internet at home and proftpd. Who's downloaded the gig at megashares? I don't like megashares at it charges users. 67.54.196.212 is my IP and do user2 and developers as login. IDK how slow it will be but I probably will move the isos to the fpt folder for yall. Please, still looking for upload sites / sponsorships, maybe Ill buy something, IDK, but lemmesee, Has anyone researched uploading to Launchpad.net? I need to get Beta I there. neo_the_user's devving code with some of his friends, but are isos uploadable?

jonathonblake
April 3rd, 2009, 04:10 AM
I want Users to be able to fill out a profile on their buddhist/sect so that the O.S. will adjust themes and logos accordingly,

Two things to bear in mind:
* Not all users will be Buddhists;
* Not all people who claim to be Buddhist are affiliated with a sect;

jonathon

jasballz
April 3rd, 2009, 04:46 AM
Two things to bear in mind:
* Not all users will be Buddhists;
* Not all people who claim to be Buddhist are affiliated with a sect;

jonathon

That's a good pt. There is a "General" and "Meditation" section in the Library.

I was browsing the net when I came across a Buddhist Torrent site
http://buddhisttorrents.blogspot.com/2009/01/ethics-of-buddhist-downloading.html

IDK, I got my new avatar from there, so thats neat. If someone wants to comb it and get a nice thing going for Beta II or III, namaste

heres a thervadan buddhist logo, we need more thervadan ebooks and audio. Also plz feel free to fill out the polls at the homepage and help the marketing rsrc.

gassho
be blessed

jasballz

jasballz
April 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Well, I'm still biased towards FTP hosting, I'm still running proftpd at every session start up. At the ISP where I'm at now, Olean Public Library at 256PM EST, you can connect via my IP
with user2 /developers. Make sure you specify that it requires login. I wont be on long tho, troubleshooting it with some folks on xchat/irc ubuntu. Tried uploading to Launchpad via terminal BZR init, BZR add, and BZR commit, but after and hour and a half (not long enough to upload 8g) it froze. So....and now I'm lockd out,

Permission denied (publickey).
bzr: ERROR: Unable to connect to SSH host bazaar.launchpad.net; EOF during negotiation

I've thot about prepackaging it and putting it on my personal packages, but IDK where to start. This is a long process--uploading. Megashares gig is still live and I still intend on uploading the rest of it there...

sigh.

jasballz
April 4th, 2009, 12:47 AM

Hey, I got wifi to work in KDE. I like KDE. Anyone have any experience with fluxbox and can tell me why White Wind Zen community may like that better? In KDE to get wifi, if you have wifi in GNOME, just open a terminal and type nm-applet .

Oh, BTW, if ppl would like to goto compiz forums and bother them about "Indra's Effect" so they'll make it a reality, much thanx. I'm thinking that'd be great. I have three posts on it over there and others have suggested analogous ideas but we need notice. I really don't feel like taking the source code and devving my own plugin so much.. :(

jasballz
April 4th, 2009, 03:43 AM
GOT FORWARDED PORTS AT HOME TESTING VIA IRC HELPERS, hrmmm, will expand the isos for selective downloading once its debugged

need help tho figuring owt the specifics of proftp setup. still havg trble

dmizer
April 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM

Kemrin
April 5th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hey, I was wondering where I could pick up a copy of this.

Also, if you're still looking for people to host it, I can host it on my SkyDrive. I have 25GB and I'm using less than 1GB myself.

Message Jacob@BloggingGuy.com if you're interested, because I'm likely not to check back here for long periods of time.

jasballz
April 6th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Hey, I was wondering where I could pick up a copy of this.

Also, if you're still looking for people to host it, I can host it on my SkyDrive. I have 25GB and I'm using less than 1GB myself.

Message Jacob@BloggingGuy.com if you're interested, because I'm likely not to check back here for long periods of time.

I emailed Kemrin and I'm going to mail him the DVDS for Beta I prolly. I am more than happy to mail other people the two DVD set, though I would appreciate someone 1) buying the site 2) buying a sponsored link over at google 3) and I have to set up a personal paypal for donations if I would like to break even.

This way Beta I can be hosted by him, and downloaded or torrented by the rest of the peers / interpersonal. Beta II is due Apr 24th, and it sounds like neo_the_user is going to have to wait longer than that to incorporate his python library, and rainvoice is busy so he won't be able to really do much until may or july. So Beta II will probably just be an expansion pack available for download that includes Lyceum's new themes and logos and my expanded library I've been working on.

Once we get that settled, or w/e we can decide on a release date for Beta III, as I'm expecting a lot of the work will be done May/June.

Also bother the Compiz forum about "Indra's Effect" as I have no idea on how I would do it myself.

Give me your address so that I can mail you the two DVD Beta I package.

domoarigatso
namaste

gassho
jasballz

jasballz
April 7th, 2009, 12:25 AM
:mrgreen: Plz grab ur RockStar and popcorn,

going 2 mail Kemrin Beta I DVDs and he will host via SkyDrive.

It is very important that people of Buddhist sects other than Chan/Zen import their flavors/work! Im working on Beta II library right now and a lot of the expansion is Chan! PLZ either link me to some good sutta sites (nagajuna to download, I really want his suttas) for all the varied sects! Beta I has a pretty universal library but we need equal expansion! I will PM lyceum and see how he's coming along. Plz feel free to PM users other than rainvoice and those listed on Buddhabuntu home since they have not replied to me (IDKY, maybe busy).

IDK maybe the moderators could help me on this one: where do I post to ask Canonical Ltd's permission to use 'buntu or logo mod?

KiwiNZ
April 7th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Info is here

I suggest you contact them before you publish your work

http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

:mrgreen: Plz grab ur RockStar and popcorn,

going 2 mail Kemrin Beta I DVDs and he will host via SkyDrive.

It is very important that people of Buddhist sects other than Chan/Zen import their flavors/work! Im working on Beta II library right now and a lot of the expansion is Chan! PLZ either link me to some good sutta sites (nagajuna to download, I really want his suttas) for all the varied sects! Beta I has a pretty universal library but we need equal expansion! I will PM lyceum and see how he's coming along. Plz feel free to PM users other than rainvoice and those listed on Buddhabuntu home since they have not replied to me (IDKY, maybe busy).

IDK maybe the moderators could help me on this one: where do I post to ask Canonical Ltd's permission to use 'buntu or logo mod?

ben2talk
April 7th, 2009, 01:48 AM

Well right now it's being taken as a bit of a joke - but my main concern is that there appears to be no way to actually get the liveCD!

I tried to file a bug at launchpad - but it seems that Buddhabuntu isn't using that.

ben2talk
April 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Just a couple of basic questions.

1. Is there any way to get a liveCD - I cannot find any download links
2. What are the most noticeable differences in using this distro compared to something like Ubuntu (gnome)?

jasballz
April 7th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Well right now it's being taken as a bit of a joke - but my main concern is that there appears to be no way to actually get the liveCD!

I tried to file a bug at launchpad - but it seems that Buddhabuntu isn't using that.

there is a branch at launchpad.net/buduntu but I've had trouble committing it (please read prevous posts of mine b4 posting). I cannot "bzr commit" either because it takes too long or freezes my pc. But there is a branch, and IDK y you couldn't post a bug. But I have no idea how to work launchpad.net, im a complete newb. Dmizer suggested launchpad.net so if you'd like to work on that, go ahead. :mrgreen:

Just email me, or I can change the login. IDK 1>>you may download Alpha III System DVD via the 180 split file at Buddhabuntu.8m.net / my files login admin@buddhabuntu.8m.net and pword: developers. The rest of the split files are over at mediafire and I linked to them in the blog or what's new last month.

>>Im sending Daichan the DVDS for Beta I and Beta II library expansion via the United States Postal Service so he will host that on his SkyDrive (again, please read Whats New at buddhabuntu home and this blog carefully b4 posting, domoarigatso :mrgreen:

I have also said that I will happily mail the DVDs for free once I get a break-even system going / paypal donations.

2>>distro differences (KDE) and inclusion of Buddhist Scriptural/Media Library. This distro is in development so goals are user adaptive O.S. (interfacing IBM PML or complearn debian packages / neural nets) and Indra's Effect) there is a lot of work to be done to mod the actual Window Manager (GNOME or KDE). neo_the_user is working on an ATI radeon python library.

domoarigatso
namaste
gassho
jasballz

Namste
gassho

jasballz

jasballz
April 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Info is here

I suggest you contact them before you publish your work

http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

you got it. Lyceum has expressed concern regarding this also. Sent them contact 2day; but I'm not so worried because Buddhabuntu is completely FREE and OPENSOURCED.

thx

jasballz
April 7th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Summary:
1) BUDDHABUNTU is FREE and OPENSOURCED

2) ALPHA III can be downloaded at BUDDHABUNTU HOME at MY FILES login: admin@buddhabuntu.8m.net / developers AND AT MEDIAFIRE LINKS AT BLOG / WHATS NEW

3) BETA I+II EXPANSION is being mailed to Kelvintan for hosting

4) if that doesn't work out I am conferencing with Dr Richard Reilly about faculty sponsorship so that St Bonaventure will open a port for my laptop as a live FTP host

5) BUDDHABUNTU is an UBUNTU JAUNTY remix/distribution that will contain a mass of Buddhist Scriptures/Media and machine learning for user-adaptiveness emphasis

6) BUDDHABUNTU BETA I presently uses KDE as the Window Manager for purposes of aesthetics until FLUXBOX is deemed more appropriate (White Wind Zen Community)

7) BUDDHABUNTU (website and project) is an INTERPERSONAL WORK

8) BUDDHABUNTU depends entirely upon the efforts of those involved or who wish to become involved (PLEASE PM ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BECOMING INVOLVED)

9) APRIL 24th WILL BE THE OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE OF BETA II, which will include Lyceum's wallpapers / theme packages, the library expansion I am sending to Kelvintan to host along with BETA I on his SkyDrive, and BE STABLE "sudo update-manager -d" terminal code for updgrade to JAUNTY JACKALOPE

10) COPYRIGHT ISSUES NEED TO BE COMPLETELY AND EXHAUSTIVELY RESEARCHED BY THE FINAL RELEASE DATE, IN ORDER TO ENSURE COMPLETE COPYRIGHT -watertightness-

a) SENT CANONICAL LTD. A BRIEFING ON THIS PROJECT AND POSSIBLE COPYRIGHT ISSUES OF THE USE OF THE NAME "BUDDHA-UNTU" AND LOGO
b) PRESENTLY THE LOGO IS GPL LISCENCE / see wikimedia
c) NEED TO RESEARCH EXHAUSTIVELY THE COPYRIGHT ISSUES OF ALL FILES INCLUDED IN THE BUDDHABUNTU MEDIA LIBRARY
i) i am not so worried about the suttas, so much as the AUDIO BOOKS AND VIDEO FILES

11) BUDDHABUNTU's EMPHASIS/UNIQUENESS IS ON THE INCORPORATION OF EXISTING AND DEVELOPED NEURAL NETS / MACHINE LEARNING ALGORITHMS FOR EXTENSIVE USER-ADAPTIVENESS (IBM PML, complearn, my NLP neural net)

12) neo_the_user is developing a python rm300 ATI RADEON LIBRARY for inclusion in BETA III

13) rainvoice will be able to contribute in May or June

14) BUDDHABUNTU DEPENDS ON THE INCLUSION OF ALL BUDDHIST SECTS AS REPRESENTATIVE DEVELOPERS IN THE MAKING OF THIS PROJECT

15) BUDDHABUNTU PRESENTLY DOES NOT MODIFY UBUNTU LOGOS AND SPLASH SCREENS IN THE PRESENT LIVEDVD
a) UNFORTUNATELY RECONSTRUCTOR DID NOT MODIFY THE LOGOS TO MY DEVELOPED SPLASH ARTWORK / THIS NEEDS DEBUGGING

16) BUDDHABUNTU IS @ LAUNCHPAD.NET/BUDUNTU

APRIL 7th 2009 BRIEFING/SUMMARY

domoarigatso, namaste and gassho :mrgreen:

jasballz

jasballz
April 8th, 2009, 02:26 AM
launpad.net/buduntu

jasballz
April 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Today I mailed the DVDS to Duchaine via Priority Mail, insured, and delivery confirmation. Once he's uploaded them he'll probably post or email me and I will post the links. I asked him to seed a torrent also.

We need to find a company that produces custom software packaging (see Buddhabuntu packaging) and I need to set up a paypal acct for donations so I can break even if I start mailing free copies.

Namaste,

Jasballz

jasballz
April 9th, 2009, 10:24 PM
For the Final Release I'd like to compress it all into one LiveDVD and it will probably have to be due to copyright violations. IDK. Also we need every body to plug everwhere!

namaste.
gassho,

jasballz

jasballz
April 14th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Last thing: updated Blog and Whats New. Thinking about leaving Buddhabuntu to the community to take care of--so it will take care of itself. Then maybe coming back to put on the finishing touches like nlp and machine-learning.

See Whats New.

Duchaine is uploading Beta I right now and will post the direct download links. Plz seed/upload a torrent.

jasballz
April 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Duchaines got the DVDs now, uploading them. Plz read the What's New at Buddhabuntu Home. Will resend a msg to Canonical Ltd since my webmail at Saint Bonas could not recieve emails for a little while. PLUG EVERWHERE!!

namaste and gassho

jasballz

jasballz
April 15th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Uhhhh...negotiating with Canonical LTD rite now...

here is a present transcript if you like:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qmzzy9yut3y

jasballz
April 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM
:mrgreen: April 15th 2009 briefing: "Canonical and Buddhabuntu among other things":

Wed April 15th 2009. Negotiating BUDDHBUNTU logo and name with Canonical Ltd. May, at the end of this journey, they remain as they need to be! You may download the present transcript of my email conversation with
Michelle Surtees-Myers, a wonderful! Canonical Ltd U.K. representative here. Comments welcome over at the 'BUDDHABUNTU' thread at UBUNTU Cafe. Ubuntu Christian Edition was unfortunately forced to take off their Jesus-Fish!

I also brought to her attention UBUNTUME: Ubuntu Muslim Edition, which Michelle Surtees-Myers will take care of! Once we've concluded w/e it is we are doing, I will post the entire transcript as it is. May the Christians get their wonderful! Jesus-Fish back!

I will also present to her the modifications Ubuntu Satanic Edition have made, if I deem it appropriate.

Due to all this, I feel rather comfortable asking for someone to figure out how to mod the UBUNTU LiveDVD installation splashes once Duchaine uploads BUDDHABUNTU BETA 1. Duchaine unfortunately found out that BUDDHABUNTU BETA 1 would have to be split into 50mb parts to go onto his SkyDrive--which is much, much worse than the split-size we were getting at Megashares.com until I decided to stop uploading there. So, instead, at least for now, BETA 1 will be available as a torrent, that Duchaine will seed until we get a good enough base (>20 seeders).

Due to this, and my ignorance at the time, I had told Dr. Reilly that we do not need his sponsorship. He's looking at the site now to see what he may or may not do--however, I have rescinded that statement and asked that he sponsor. He's a very, very busy Tibetan Buddhist--so once things settle down for him he'll reply to that email and we'll see about FTP hosting.

Again, I am reopening the opportunity for a free copy of BUDDHABUNTU BETA 1 to anyone--free of charge--I will pay shipping and handling, and see if I can't mail out of country also. This is to enable someone to host a direct download site/etc. Just txt my phone or email me (Contacts).

Also looking for ppl to plug like crazzy, right articles and such things. :mrgreen:

jasballz
April 16th, 2009, 01:00 AM
:popcorn: Get out your RockStar and popcorn! (BTW, if you haven't been sucking down RockStars and aten at least ten boxes of popcorn, what the heck, HAVE you been doing??)

Soooooo. BUDDHABUNTU is going to be featured at Yale's Forum on Religion and Ecology. For the Ubuntu Trademark / Logo issues check out the blog.

We NEED:

1) Compiz to develop "Indra's Effect"
2) People of varied national backgrounds and buddhist sects to start devving
3) Various hosting sites
4) People of varied national backgrounds and buddhist persuasions to start PLUGGING--EVERYWHERE
5) Someone to mod the splashes in the LiveDVD

What I need to do

1) Write an essay for Yale
2) Get Dr. Reilly to sponsor FTP hosting (Saint Bonaventure's Tech guys are *cough* retarded *cough*! (did I say that? I meant--WONDERFUL! OH!)
3) Download all I can on BUDDHIST APPROACHES TO ECOLOGY for inclusion in Beta III Media Library expansion to be released with Beta II's release April 24th.

uuuuuhhhhh, ok.

Jasballz tilts head: "Tzzzt!"

*see jasballzy's youtube channel favorites on how to speak fluent japanese without saying a word*

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Ok!

dmizer
April 16th, 2009, 04:08 AM

jasballz
April 16th, 2009, 02:02 PM

ppl must be posting nonsense when I'm not around...

The torrent is up and being hosted by DUCHAINE at http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4850719

so.... I will download and see If I cant seed also; along with everybody else >20 base!

Then maybe if a one should feel like making a direct download link, instant satori for that one! As for me, I don't have any satori, shunyata, or things of that nature to give to anyone!

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4850719

-Jasballz is neither Butso, Tagatha, nor Bodhisattva; he's just a 21-year-old trickster!

BTW, you all need to get on this and get squashed by this Dharma-Wheel that is BUDDHABUNTU because if you don't get attached to it and start devving, Jasballz will never be able to let it go!

:'(

Oh, BTW for some reason I wasn't able to update "What's New" or "Blog" on Buddhabuntu home because of Freeservers being gay. Duchaine is trying so...I wasn't able to login to any of my other Freeservers sites either.

Oh! and 4 some reason Duchaines decided to upload only the System LiveDVD! lol!

Oh! Duchaine says he's uploaded the whole thing! And its only 1.6gb! But for some reason, Jasballz is only averaging about 6kb/s downloading!

Buddhabuntu "How to Plug?" Breifing:

How to plug Buddhabuntu? The proper format of an email or msg that plugs Buddhabuntu starts with: "Respectfully addressed to so-and-so". And then comes the msg. And at the end: "Domoarigatso, namaste, and gassho. Signed," your name. If you think that it is appropriate, you may add "May your practice liberate all beings" at the end; but only if it is appropriate. You may also change "domoarigatso", "namaste", or "gassho" if you are confident that there is a better Japanese-to-English phonetic translation! If you find that out, make sure to let Jasballz know! It is appropriate to change "Namaste" to "May your practice liberate all beings" when you are familiar with people or know that they are Buddhist. Other than that; don't say "May your practice liberate all beings"! Why? Because we aren't proslytes!

And absolutely no slander, no pandantering, no ranting or raving or cursing is allowed! You are to be absolutely respectful of the person you are addressing; your message body should reflect that.

Lastly, make sure to include a link to this site.

I will also see about getting an FTP host up still and still offer the 3 DVD set for Beta I free delivery, free mailing, no shipping and handling for the curious, the attached, or the will-be-hosters. Yell

-Jasballz -site moderator and neither Butso, Tagatha, nor Bodhisattva. Just a 21-year-old trickster.-

gassho.

lisati
April 16th, 2009, 07:54 PM
And "ditto" to the comments by those who have reminded us that these forums are better suited for technical rather than religious discussions, and the value found in keeping things respectful.

I have no problem with the idea of different groups checking out the options for creating their own edition of Ubuntu.

jasballz
April 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM
And "ditto" to the comments by those who have reminded us that these forums are better suited for technical rather than religious discussions, and the value found in keeping things respectful.

I have no problem with the idea of different groups checking out the options for creating their own edition of Ubuntu.

Well I found this site with at least 100 emails of Zen sanghas, and emailed to them about Buddhabuntu and most of them didn't go. So it is essential that you guys and ladies plug, since I will be busy writing the Yale essay with some stuff by a Thervadan Monk in Thailand, and maybe Dr. Reilly and my own insight from watching mud. So, do as you please. :mrgreen:

jonathonblake
April 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
The torrent is up and being hosted by DUCHAINE at http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4850719

I've been stalled for the last two or so days. 44% downloaded. :(

When I've checked there are between 3 and 6 leechers, and only 1 seed.

jonathon

jasballz
April 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM
I've been stalled for the last two or so days. 44% downloaded. :(

When I've checked there are between 3 and 6 leechers, and only 1 seed.

jonathon

Wow. 44% downloaded. I'm at 5% for LiveDVD, 0.8% for Library. So good on you. Jacob Duchaine is starting the seeding base with the DVDs I sent him, so that's that. Thx for seeding! Plz Don't Don't Don't delete your downloaded files and -keep seeing!- :mrgreen: And most of the time I cannot download as Transmission says "Idle".

If you continue seeding -for as long as your present life/birth-- :mrgreen: you will be absolved of all your negative kamma completely and be assured of a birth in Pure Land, Jealous Gods, Gods/Devas, Human. Satori if you plug Buddhabuntu 100 times.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Thx! :mrgreen:

Gassho

Jas

jasballz
April 21st, 2009, 09:22 PM
Since Jacob Duchaine can't host over summer break (me neither--plus I have hardly downloaded any of it) try to download as much as possible for a good base, and do not delete it.

jasballz
April 22nd, 2009, 12:37 AM
:popcorn: Everything is taken care of. Heart pumps. Lungs breathe. Mind thinks. Buddhabuntu buddhabuntus.

I am obviously wayyy too attached to this monkey-crap that is called "Buddhabuntu". PPL NEED TO GET A HANDE OF IT NOW! I CANNOT BE THE MAIN PUSHERRRRRR!!

Thx!

Jas

danni-la
April 22nd, 2009, 02:03 AM
I'm looking forward to trying this! Thankyou!

I am downloading and will leave it to seed but can only do it during off peak times :(

:D

jonathonblake
April 25th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Plz Don't Don't Don't delete your downloaded files and keep seeing!

File just finished downloading.
And it is corrupt. :(

Looks like I'll have to start the process over again.

jonathon

jasballz
April 27th, 2009, 03:59 PM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: OK WE NEED FOLKS TO DOWNLOAD/SEED LIBRARY TOO, THAT IS THE EMPHASIS HERE!

THX! :mrgreen:

JAS

DracoJesi
April 28th, 2009, 08:21 AM

which one is SE?

it doesn't bother me, as long as everyone is still working on the technical stuff,

but a religious edition would simply be the same old Ubuntu, with extra apps installed, a new wallpaper maybe a theme right? like studio edition?

so id would be like Ubuntu 8.10 SE

Ubuntu 9.04 SE, where the SE just notes that package is installed,

I actually find Buddhism very interesting, as well as Shinto and many other religions, if it came with documents about the religion, I'd download the package just to read them, theres allot a Buddhist can tell you about meditation and things that are part of my path...

I'm Wiccan, and think it would be interesting to see how a Pagan/Wiccan/Occult package would work out...

if these packages are just like wallpapers I don't see the point, but...

if you can put together some of the various free texts together, in pdf or some other medium hit for the job (I can get them), an "ebook" library manager and an application to store our herbal info and recipes, keep track of Astrological correspondencies, various deity, stone, tool and tradition info, and a way to search by not only names but correspondencies and relation, we'd love you... seriously..

and by correspondency, say you want to look up deities that have to do with fertility or correspoa nd to particular planet, color, element or symbol, and it will filter, say like rain, and it comes up with all the references to rail among various cultures...

not seemingly to hard, but I'm not sure where to start....

DracoJesi
April 28th, 2009, 08:39 AM
:popcorn: Get out your RockStar and popcorn! (BTW, if you haven't been sucking down RockStars and aten at least ten boxes of popcorn, what the heck, HAVE you been doing??)

Soooooo. BUDDHABUNTU is going to be featured at Yale's Forum on Religion and Ecology. For the Ubuntu Trademark / Logo issues check out the blog.

We NEED:

1) Compiz to develop "Indra's Effect"
2) People of varied national backgrounds and buddhist sects to start devving
3) Various hosting sites
4) People of varied national backgrounds and buddhist persuasions to start PLUGGING--EVERYWHERE
5) Someone to mod the splashes in the LiveDVD

What I need to do

1) Write an essay for Yale
2) Get Dr. Reilly to sponsor FTP hosting (Saint Bonaventure's Tech guys are *cough* retarded *cough*! (did I say that? I meant--WONDERFUL! OH!)
3) Download all I can on BUDDHIST APPROACHES TO ECOLOGY for inclusion in Beta III Media Library expansion to be released with Beta II's release April 24th.

uuuuuhhhhh, ok.

Jasballz tilts head: "Tzzzt!"

*see jasballzy's youtube channel favorites on how to speak fluent japanese without saying a word*

Ok!

how big is the file? I can probably host a copy, as if I remember correctly I don't have a bandwidth limit, but I'll have to check, and I'm not sure about my filesize limit, never had a problem, but then I've never hosted a couple hundred MB iso file either...

I do have plans to build my own media server, to stream stuff, and store stuff on , it will go well with the media center pc I'm building, anyway, storage won't be a problem then... thats for sure, I was thinking of hosting a webserver on there for my site, I'm not paying much now, but just for the experience and fun of it all..

my Internet connection has no bandwidth limit, but my connection is only 3MB/sec, not slow but with iso's that big...

so what I'm saying is, I'll help where I can....

you're doing a live cd for this as well though? I thought it would be easier to do a package set up?

because then you don't have to worry about Ubuntu versions?

Indra's effect? whats that? or does that cross the line for talking about religion in the thread?

jasballz
April 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
which one is SE?

it doesn't bother me, as long as everyone is still working on the technical stuff,

but a religious edition would simply be the same old Ubuntu, with extra apps installed, a new wallpaper maybe a theme right? like studio edition?

so id would be like Ubuntu 8.10 SE

Ubuntu 9.04 SE, where the SE just notes that package is installed,

I actually find Buddhism very interesting, as well as Shinto and many other religions, if it came with documents about the religion, I'd download the package just to read them, theres allot a Buddhist can tell you about meditation and things that are part of my path...

I'm Wiccan, and think it would be interesting to see how a Pagan/Wiccan/Occult package would work out...

if these packages are just like wallpapers I don't see the point, but...

if you can put together some of the various free texts together, in pdf or some other medium hit for the job (I can get them), an "ebook" library manager and an application to store our herbal info and recipes, keep track of Astrological correspondencies, various deity, stone, tool and tradition info, and a way to search by not only names but correspondencies and relation, we'd love you... seriously..

and by correspondency, say you want to look up deities that have to do with fertility or correspoa nd to particular planet, color, element or symbol, and it will filter, say like rain, and it comes up with all the references to rail among various cultures...

not seemingly to hard, but I'm not sure where to start....

:mrgreen: Ubuntu SE is Ubuntu Satanic Edition

jasballz
April 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
:popcorn:
You may download the torrents for both LiveDVD and Library and host. Please do ASAP. The links are on the homepage http://buddhabuntu.8m.net for Beta I. Make sure to download and host both, totalling about 9.6gb.

Indras Effect is described on the homepage as well on the poll on the side. It is based on a Buddhist concept of Indra's Net--a jeweled net--which represents the inter causality of reality. It also feeds into Neural Networking ideas. That has to be developed. If you have any experience with C, please get on that. Or goto Compiz Forums and push the idea there.

Thx!

V 1.0 Kreamy Karma, hopefully will be done by this summer, which because Buddhabuntu relies on interpersonal/team work should feature User-Adaptive O.S., if someone with linux-kernel hacking abilities joins. Otherwise I will just port my natural language processing excel macro to OpenOffice. I've been uber busy with hmwk and stuff, and writing the Yale essay. So right now writing the Yale Essay and hosting the Beta III library (which will include a number of articles on Buddhist Approaches to Ecology) are priority. PM me your address and I may mail it to you...IDK. I have also to do the tees, I've got the stuff, now I just have to print the designs, iron-on and distribute. Once I get the pics, the winner will be announced. To update to Jaunty Stable, run "sudo update-manager -d" in terminal with beta I liveDVD installed.
Rainvoice is participating soon, I will upload lyceums logos... :confused: people may participate to the degree of their ability but we are specifically looking for people with experience in NLP, machine learning, OpenGL (like Neo_the_User), artificial intelligence, compiz/beryl devving, and article writing / plugging.

Namaste.

PM me at your leisure. You can find a description of Indras Effect in this IRC chat extraction.

Jas

twitter @JonathanRaymond

how big is the file? I can probably host a copy, as if I remember correctly I don't have a bandwidth limit, but I'll have to check, and I'm not sure about my filesize limit, never had a problem, but then I've never hosted a couple hundred MB iso file either...

I do have plans to build my own media server, to stream stuff, and store stuff on , it will go well with the media center pc I'm building, anyway, storage won't be a problem then... thats for sure, I was thinking of hosting a webserver on there for my site, I'm not paying much now, but just for the experience and fun of it all..

my Internet connection has no bandwidth limit, but my connection is only 3MB/sec, not slow but with iso's that big...

so what I'm saying is, I'll help where I can....

you're doing a live cd for this as well though? I thought it would be easier to do a package set up?

because then you don't have to worry about Ubuntu versions?

Indra's effect? whats that? or does that cross the line for talking about religion in the thread?

jasballz
April 30th, 2009, 02:40 PM
File just finished downloading.
And it is corrupt. :(

Looks like I'll have to start the process over again.

jonathon

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? :confused:

jasballz
April 30th, 2009, 04:26 PM
:mrgreen: I need people to plug to AI/NLP/Machine Learning specialists according to the format described in the "How to Plug" brief in order that we can get the User Adaptiveness going...I checked out Honda's ASIMO website, but was unable to find a contact. So, someone do some of their homework and plug requesting help/participation, along with advertising/article-writing/traditional plugging.

Thx! :mrgreen:

jasballz
April 30th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hey gr8 news, been in contact with Joey Stanford who says he can host files and buy a domain name,
so we're in business! Also going to work out the -buntu / trademark issues with Canonical with new name/
site fix. Everything taken care of. Heart pumps. Lungs breathe. Mind thinks. Buddhabuntu buddhabuntus.

jasballz
May 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I need input:
1) What window manager does everyone like best?
2) Should the Library be stripped and put into the Kreamy Karma LiveDVD? (Just Txts, Htmls)
3) And should the Media Library be separate? (Just Audio, Video)

Thx!