PDA

View Full Version : Openmoko public release

spamzilla
December 2nd, 2007, 01:58 PM
http://openmoko.com/

Does anyone know when this phone will get released to the public? I am rather eager to get it (maybe for xmas?) but I cannot find any up-to-date details with regards to the public release.

Can anyone help me out?

Cheers :popcorn:

Mateo
December 2nd, 2007, 03:10 PM
January at the earliest, probably later. The original release date was March of 2007. Then June 2007, then October 2007, then December/January 2007. At least now the delays are getting shorter. Nevertheless, I wouldn't expect it to be done by January. It still has major problems.

spamzilla
December 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
That's a shame. I guess a fully functional phone is better thsn something that barely works lol.

Thanks

KhaaL
December 2nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
Mobiles with support for the andoid platform might also be of intrest. Though I think that openmoko will be released before them!

Mateo
December 2nd, 2007, 03:48 PM
OpenMoko doesn't have a billion dollar giant backing it. I'm betting on the gPhone. Betting it's better than OpenMoko as well (which needs a complete UI redesign IMO).

spamzilla
December 2nd, 2007, 04:39 PM
Mobiles with support for the andoid platform might also be of intrest. Though I think that openmoko will be released before them!

That's the google phone, right? I'm not sure if I fully trust google, so I won't be buying it.

helliewm
December 2nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
I am watching this too. I want an openmoko phone.

Helen

smartboyathome
December 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
OpenMoko doesn't have a billion dollar giant backing it. I'm betting on the gPhone. Betting it's better than OpenMoko as well (which needs a complete UI redesign IMO).

There will be no "gPhone", just the Android platform. It will be cool to see if it can be put on the OpenMoko phone though. :)

bvanaerde
December 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Quote from the OpenMoko website (http://www.openmoko.com/products-neo-base-00-stdkit.html):

The Consumer-ready hardware will be available around year's end, with Consumer-ready software to follow some time after that. If you are a Developer, jump in, the water's fine. If you do not know how to program, please consider waiting for the Consumer-ready hardware and software.

edit: just too late to use as a christmas gift...

igknighted
December 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM
That's the google phone, right? I'm not sure if I fully trust google, so I won't be buying it.

No, its a set of completely free and open-source applications to interface with a phone they are installed on, and is backed primarily by google, but the phones will be for pretty much all networks except AT&T. It is community-developed, but if you don't trust the company behind it you can download the code and review it for yourself. You could even download the android platform and run it on openmoko, most likely.

spamzilla
December 5th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Quote from the OpenMoko website (http://www.openmoko.com/products-neo-base-00-stdkit.html):

edit: just too late to use as a christmas gift...

That quote has been there for months and I'm not too sure if it's still true.

No, its a set of completely free and open-source applications to interface with a phone they are installed on, and is backed primarily by google, but the phones will be for pretty much all networks except AT&T. It is community-developed, but if you don't trust the company behind it you can download the code and review it for yourself. You could even download the android platform and run it on openmoko, most likely.

Oh ok

LuisAugusto
December 19th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Well, you could get a Neo and use Android anyway ;)

Multiple Distros on Cellphones too, as I didn't lose enough time with PC distros XD

spamzilla
February 19th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Woot good news! I emailed openmoko's sales support team, and I got this response:

Hi,

Thank you for your interest!

Our GTA02 Neo FreeRunner will be released in the middle of April.
Please watch out our webshop for the price and new launch.

Openmoko Sales

Maybe soon I'll finally have my Neo Freerunner :)

viciouslime
February 20th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Yay! :D This is great news!

vishzilla
February 20th, 2008, 04:02 AM
OpenMoko or Android-based phone? Which one will you prefer? I have seen some footage on OpenMoko, its promising. Its too early to Judge Android, yet its looking good for now.

spamzilla
February 20th, 2008, 08:45 AM
OpenMoko or Android-based phone? Which one will you prefer? I have seen some footage on OpenMoko, its promising. Its too early to Judge Android, yet its looking good for now.

Can't say I've seen much of the Android, but I like the way the Neo Freerunner looks, and I've followed the development of it for about 6months now, so I'll probably go with the openmoko based phone :)

savantelite
February 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
If there is one for CDMA networks I be all over this thing.

Any word on weather you can spoof the openmoko? Keep your old phone as a backup, without needing to reactivate it if I fry my open moko?

spamzilla
February 21st, 2008, 08:34 AM
If there is one for CDMA networks I be all over this thing.

Any word on weather you can spoof the openmoko? Keep your old phone as a backup, without needing to reactivate it if I fry my open moko?

No idea tbh. I presume you can back it up but dunno about spoofing.

A cool thing is that you can install openmoko and android side by side and boot into either OS. Cool eh?

KhaaL
February 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
No idea tbh. I presume you can back it up but dunno about spoofing.

A cool thing is that you can install openmoko and android side by side and boot into either OS. Cool eh?

Sweet mother of penguins.... that is AWESOOOME! =P~

spamzilla
February 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM
Sweet mother of penguins.... that is AWESOOOME! =P~

Are you...drooling? :lolflag:

KhaaL
February 21st, 2008, 10:16 AM
hell yes i am! Now I'll have no excuse to sell my car to buy this gem and spend weeks in customizing, tweaking and playing with it :biggrin:

spamzilla
February 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Watch and read the 3 latest interviews here (http://openmoko.com/press-index.html). This phone sounds like its going to be very good :)

KhaaL
February 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
Jon maddog hall... that guy is what got me started with linux. Great interviews, thanks for the link!

stoodleysnow
February 21st, 2008, 10:33 AM
Gimme Gimme!
:-p~
):p

Visti
February 21st, 2008, 11:36 AM
I attended a presentation on OpenMoko some time ago and I have to say I'm less than impressed with it. It can potentially do a heck of a lot of things, but the reality is it just doesn't. The whole presentation seemed to be about what it could do, given the right software and programmers, while the several phones present couldn't even dial. A lot of really quite brilliant ideas were laid out, but none of them seemed to be realized in the slightest.

Sure, its GPS could be integrated with Google Maps and OpenMaps for potential greatness... it just isn't.
Sure, its accelerometers could make it a potential Wiimote, it just isn't. Sure, you should be able to use it to measure a room using its speakers and microphone in tandem to record the time sound would travel.. but you can't.

Of course, all of these things could be followed with a 'yet', but I'm not going to put a lot of money into some really nice hardware and then rely on the community to make it not only great, but usable. With software, sure, but with expensive hardware I'm not going to run a risk of spending the money to have a thing that could potentially be the greatest gadget ever.. or potentially - a digital brick.

Now, that's just how I feel. It's obviously a point that can be debated depending on who you are and what you can do tech-wise (For example, I wouldn't think myself able to program what I would like in the phone, but some may be)

spamzilla
February 21st, 2008, 12:37 PM
post above this one

And the most pessimistic award of the year goes to...:lolflag:

I see what you're saying, but for all we know, this phone could be "the next great thing" and 1000's of devs could be making cool apps for it.

Don't write it off yet, as it has yet to be released ;)

wesley_of_course
February 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM
I want one too !

Visti
February 21st, 2008, 05:05 PM
And the most pessimistic award of the year goes to...:lolflag:

I see what you're saying, but for all we know, this phone could be "the next great thing" and 1000's of devs could be making cool apps for it.

Don't write it off yet, as it has yet to be released ;)

Well, I think it is gonna be the next big thing, for sure. It being smartphones that allow you to actually tinker with settings and apps that matter. However, this one in particular cater to a different brand of nerd than me, I guess. The only thing that makes this more attractive in my eyes than, for example the Gphone is (almost) open hardware and I have no interest in that. Putting all my eggs in one basket, which buying a gadget like this would be on my income, is something I can't really do considering that it's not even the only opensource or Linux phone and the other one is being backed by a big company, which equals guaranteed developer time versus the OpenMokos potential (and volunteered) developer time.

Now that doesn't mean I'm not itching to get my hands on one, for sure! Man, look at that screen! And accelerometers! Yay!

Ahemm... But at that price, I'm reluctant..

bvanaerde
February 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Apart from the OpenMoko project, I'm keeping an eye on this little beauty:
Garmin Nüvifone (http://www8.garmin.com/nuvifone/)

press release (http://www8.garmin.com/buzz/nuvifone/press_release.jsp)

spamzilla
February 22nd, 2008, 11:44 AM

That phone looks quite cool. Thanks for the link!

Visti
February 22nd, 2008, 02:01 PM

Wow, that looks delicious. Any specs?

And on that note, any specs on any of the other open phones?

Mateo
February 22nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
OpenMoko Freerunner is not going to be a public release. The April/May release that they advertise is the next developer release. It's at that point in which hardware is said to be complete. They will move to software next, which is very primitive thus far. It'll probably be another year before the phone is public, Christmas 2008 at best.

I think the phone is already sounding dated. I look forward to the next OpenMoko phone.

spamzilla
February 22nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
OpenMoko Freerunner is not going to be a public release. The April/May release that they advertise is the next developer release. It's at that point in which hardware is said to be complete. They will move to software next, which is very primitive thus far. It'll probably be another year before the phone is public, Christmas 2008 at best.

I think the phone is already sounding dated. I look forward to the next OpenMoko phone.

Can you post a link to this info, as I don't think you're right:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner

The specs for the phone are also in that link.

spamzilla
February 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Bumping for answer as if Mateo (2 posts up) is right, I need to look at buying a different phone.

KhaaL
February 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM

Oh, crap... that's too bad... Gah, I really need to replace my k750i, and soon. It's not gonna live for much longer :-|

spamzilla
February 24th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Oh, crap... that's too bad... Gah, I really need to replace my k750i, and soon. It's not gonna live for much longer :-|

If you read my post, I don't think he's right...

Visti
February 24th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Here's a nice Wired article about 12 open phones (http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireless/multimedia/2007/10/gallery_linux_phones)..

Man, my brand new s60v3 phone is starting to feel moldy already!

spamzilla
February 25th, 2008, 11:32 AM

I have emailed openmoko's sales team about what you have said to see if this is the case or not. I'll post the reply when I get it.

spamzilla
February 26th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Well you were sort of right. I've sent them another email and will update this thread again when I receive it.

Hi,

Thank you for yoru interest.

It is true that NeoFreerunner will be released in the middle of April.
The phone is for developers' use. The phone is fully functional and
you will be able to make calls.

Openmoko Sales

bvanaerde
February 26th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Wow, that looks delicious. Any specs?
Not yet :(

KhaaL
February 26th, 2008, 02:37 PM
It's greatly appriciated that you're keeping us updated, spamzilla :)

spamzilla
February 26th, 2008, 04:06 PM
It's greatly appriciated that you're keeping us updated, spamzilla :)

No problem :popcorn:

spamzilla
March 27th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Let me finish with some more great news…

1. The price range for the Neo FreeRunner has been published, it’s going to be less than 400 USD — which is quite a substantial improvement over the estimated 650 that was published last year. Given the features (Wifi, GPS, GSM, BT, Accellerometers, VGA) and the openness (priceless!) I think it’s pretty decent price.

I thought this phone was going to cost around 600 USD, so this news in very good indeed :)

Source of info (http://planet.openmoko.org) - -read the last few paragraphs of the March 18, 2008 "Qtopia progress" news entry.

Marsan
April 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Looking forward to the release!

The HW is going through some last PVT testing (3 x 100 runners is manufactured for last testing i think). And lets hope this is the last of the testing before the phone hits the massmarket.

Lets hope the coders gets the OM-OS ready for the end-user also. I waited over 1 year for this phone, and i would gladly wait another one for it to be released. Free my phone.

KhaaL
April 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM

The HW is going through some last PVT testing (3 x 100 runners is manufactured for last testing i think). And lets hope this is the last of the testing before the phone hits the massmarket.

Lets hope the coders gets the OM-OS ready for the end-user also. I waited over 1 year for this phone, and i would gladly wait another one for it to be released. Free my phone.

Oooh, link to the announcement?? I feel hideously underinformed even though im on their announce mailing list :(

Marsan
April 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
http://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/

Good luck reading up on the mailinglists :)

spamzilla
May 5th, 2008, 09:41 PM

Even though I've been waiting months for the release, I've had to cave in and buy a Nokia N95 and I really have not being disappointed!

However, I'll eagerly await for the stable release in 1 year - 18 months time :D

zmjjmz
June 26th, 2008, 03:12 AM
It's out!
... In Asia and Europe...
It's 400$ though, which is more than the iPhone 3G, and no 3G to boot.
But if Verizon picks up on it, I may be able to convince my parents to let me buy it.
EDIT: Make that India, France, Germany, and the UK.

madjr
June 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM
It's out!
... In Asia and Europe...
It's 400$ though, which is more than the iPhone 3G, and no 3G to boot.
But if Verizon picks up on it, I may be able to convince my parents to let me buy it.
EDIT: Make that India, France, Germany, and the UK.

awesome

any links?

zmjjmz
June 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM
www.openmoko.com of course.

aktiwers
July 5th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Its out now!
http://www.openmoko.com/product.html

zmjjmz
July 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Aw shucks, Googling has shown that OpenMoko won't work with Verizon D:

spamzilla
July 5th, 2008, 08:49 PM
If the phone works with TMobile (UK), then I'm going to seriously consider getting it :D Does anyone know if it will work?

*runs off to google*

markp1989
July 5th, 2008, 08:51 PM
i want it , but i have been muged 5 (my current mobile has survived 3 attempts)times at the last count. so i dont want to carry around a mobile worth more then £20-50

And i cant afford it

zmjjmz
July 5th, 2008, 09:04 PM
i want it , but i have been mugged 5 times
You need to get out less.

markp1989
July 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM
You need to get out less.

i hardly ever go out lol, im just unlucky

bieber
July 12th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Anyone else ordered the Freerunner yet? I put an order in a couple days after it was available, but haven't received any sort of shipping confirmation (or the phone) yet. I'm sure it'll get here, just wondering if they've been experiencing delays or any such thing...

spamzilla
July 12th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Anyone else ordered the Freerunner yet? I put an order in a couple days after it was available, but haven't received any sort of shipping confirmation (or the phone) yet. I'm sure it'll get here, just wondering if they've been experiencing delays or any such thing...

Not yet. I'm going to wait for some feedback / reviews of the phone before I get it.

radtek
July 12th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I ordered one 24 hours ago. I'm so excited I can barely stand it. I feel like a kid on christmas eve.

I'm hoping for basic phone capability to start.

The big let down is that I paid for next day shipping and still haven't heard anything except for the prompt email confirming my order.

bieber
July 13th, 2008, 06:14 AM
It looks like mine shipped, about a week after I placed the order. So you'll still probably have some waiting to do, but at least you won't have to wait a friggin week after it ships to get it, like me. Right now, online tracking is definitely making me crazy ;)