PDA

View Full Version : Xfce 4.4 .....Woohooo

KingBahamut
September 6th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Every major release of the 4.x series of Xfce has been pretty major. 4.0 was the result of over a years work, a major rewrite of the entire desktop. 4.2 saw the introduction of major features and enhancements that were incomplete for 4.0, and new developers as Xfce4 gained popularity. 4.4 is going to be a major upgrade to Xfce, with new components, major upgrades to old ones, and more tools for developers. So, without further ado, let’s take a look at what’s coming..........

http://blog.xfce.org/?p=130

Many new features it looks like.

Thunar - http://thunar.xfce.org/wiki/

foxy123
September 6th, 2005, 04:15 PM
I'm looking forward to it....

Kimm
September 6th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I realy love XFCE4, I dont use it now, I'm in gnome, but I'm using large partions of it anyway.

I replaced Metacity with xfwm4 and the gnome panel taskbar with xftaskbar4 since I find it less buggy and it has great flashing taskbar support, also, it looks pretty much the same as the original taskbar.

If Thunar will Draw a desktop that might mean Bye Bye Nautilus aswell (leaving only the gnome-panel part of original GNOME).

bored2k
September 6th, 2005, 05:21 PM
The GTK file manager looks like it has the same feel of Breezy's nautilus, wich is a really good thing. Me being hooked on Breezy's Gnome at the moment, I'm not half as amazed as I should be, but I'll keep an eye on the project.

skoal
September 6th, 2005, 07:55 PM
"libexo was initially developed outside of Xfce for developers seeking to write Xfce apps, but needing somewhat higher level interfaces than the basic Xfce libraries, which are directly targeted at the developer of core desktop components."

Now you're talking! I can't do without K3B, Amarok, or the like. Installing mucho kde-libs in the process just to run it on XFCE wasn't worth it to me. Hopefully, this new libexo will motivate similiar app integration into XFCE. I once started writing an xcompmgr panel plugin on XFCE a while back on another distro, and never finished because of the GTK widget "overhead". Hopefully, this will reduce that latency between 3rd party additions and XFCE deployment.

Until then, KDE it is. I still have a sweetspot in my heart for XFCE though...

\\//_

KingBahamut
September 6th, 2005, 07:59 PM
XFCE forever.

hehe.....this just makes it easier to convert other users to its use.
=)

xequence
September 6th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Looks interesting. XFCE is great and all but I wish it was more customizable...

escuchamezz
September 6th, 2005, 08:19 PM
everybody loves screenshots, so umm where are they? :smile:

poofyhairguy
September 6th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I like XFCE, but only after I add a lot of Gnome stuff (volume manager, gnome-panel, etc.) This doesn't seem to work towards replacing all of those.

xequence
September 6th, 2005, 08:56 PM

I dont think its out yet ;)

foxy123
September 7th, 2005, 04:59 PM
here you are...

foxy123
September 20th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I have recently compiled xfce 4.3 from cvn. The great thing is an autostart manager to launch applications on startup - no more scripts - works very well.

The menu management is improved, I've got now all my programmes in the xfce menu. New xffm is better and comes with xffm-deskview - a desktop where you can have your icons. Since I get used to not have them, I do not need it, but for those who like to have icons on the desktop it is an improvement.

A new xfterm4 is not bad, though I do not like its black background and I have not find the way to change it to white. Anyway I am looking forward to stable 4.4, hopefully we will get it by the year end.