PDA

View Full Version : I have converted!

YourSurrogateGod
September 6th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Just got one person running Ubuntu \\:D/ .

Do I get a prize?

KingBahamut
September 6th, 2005, 03:47 PM

Do I get a prize?
Sure......when you do, get me a few too, I could use about 25 or so.
=)

N'Jal
September 6th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I wish there were a prize but all i can give you are my congratulations, you have achieved something i havn't

KingBahamut
September 6th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Dont want a prize.

A sense of accomplishment is enough for me. Id think everyone else would feel the same way.

glandula
September 6th, 2005, 04:12 PM
ive converted a couple too. if they convert 2 each we will rule the world shortly

bored2k
September 6th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Do I get a prize?
You get a box to break and play new distros/releases with every once in a while. Oh yeah, I forgot, that's your friend's box ;).

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 05:53 AM
You get a box to break and play new distros/releases with every once in a while. Oh yeah, I forgot, that's your friend's box ;).
Ofcourse :) .

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 05:53 AM
ive converted a couple too. if they convert 2 each we will rule the world shortly
I thought that was Bunny's supposed future position?

BAshworth
September 7th, 2005, 06:04 AM
I converted one... but it was more of a Linux move than an Ubuntu direct one. He used to be a Unix admin, waaaaayyy back when, so he said it shouldn't be too big of a deal for him to figure it out.

Gave him about 4 of the cd's too, so hopefully, he'll spread the love.

N'Jal
September 7th, 2005, 09:32 AM
I hope to convert someone one day.

KiwiNZ
September 7th, 2005, 10:42 AM
I hate to brag but,on a table in my office I have a box of Ubuntu CDs and I have a sign " please take one" .
About 30 have gone and 10 people have installed it and told me it is fantastic.
I am hiding from one person but thats another story.

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I hate to brag but,on a table in my office I have a box of Ubuntu CDs and I have a sign " please take one" .
About 30 have gone and 10 people have installed it and told me it is fantastic.
I am hiding from one person but thats another story.
Well, I'm a college kid, so I don't have the cash in order to buy up tons of CDs :) .

Steve1961
September 7th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I converted my three sons. Easy really. I just installed Ubuntu over XP on their boxes. Not sure they noticed, they were using firefox and open office anyway in windows.

poofyhairguy
September 7th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Do I get a prize?

Sure. You get a free upgrade in a month.

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 06:41 PM
I converted my three sons. Easy really. I just installed Ubuntu over XP on their boxes. Not sure they noticed, they were using firefox and open office anyway in windows.
*lol*

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Sure. You get a free upgrade in a month.
Can I trade that in for beer at the local liquer store?

Steve1961
September 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM

Seriously though, my son's all prefer Ubuntu. It's different from what their friends have got and they can download all that software for free. They've started bringing friends around to admire their system and they're all impressed. Easy perhaps when they're only 10, 12 and 13, but it just goes to show, the fact that people don't use linux as much as XP is simply because so many of them don't even know it exists. Needless to say I've been more than happy to give away copies of the free CDs I received, with instructions to give me a ring if they need installation help. Think I'm going to be busy!

bored2k
September 7th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Seriously though, my son's all prefer Ubuntu. It's different from what their friends have got and they can download all that software for free. They've started bringing friends around to admire their system and they're all impressed. Easy perhaps when they're only 10, 12 and 13, but it just goes to show, the fact that people don't use linux as much as XP is simply because so many of them don't even know it exists. Needless to say I've been more than happy to give away copies of the free CDs I received, with instructions to give me a ring if they need installation help. Think I'm going to be busy!
You rock :D.

I agree with you, people just don't even know these type of thing exists. Heck, mostly everyone out there don't even know what GPL is and that "Yes, it's 100% legal Mrs. Jones". I wish someone popular would take an hour of their TV show just to "Uncover the truth about Linux & GPL" so everyone knows once and for all Linux's benefits and the fact that is not any harder at all.

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 07:42 PM
You rock :D.

I agree with you, people just don't even know these type of thing exists. Heck, mostly everyone out there don't even know what GPL is and that "Yes, it's 100% legal Mrs. Jones". I wish someone popular would take an hour of their TV show just to "Uncover the truth about Linux & GPL" so everyone knows once and for all Linux's benefits and the fact that is not any harder at all.
Well, to be frank and fair, I personally don't know or care too much about the GPL, the only thing that I know that I can easily use/download/modify the software that is covered by that license agreement and all I have to disclose is what I changed in the source. Spare me from the legal jibber-jabber :) .

bored2k
September 7th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Well, to be frank and fair, I personally don't know or care too much about the GPL, the only thing that I know that I can easily use/download/modify the software that is covered by that license agreement and all I have to disclose is what I changed in the source. Spare me from the legal jibber-jabber :) .
That is all you need to know. That is just how much no one knows. Everyone is so used to pay hundreds of _insert your currency_ that when you tell them something is free, they inmediately wait for it to be a mediocre application/OS or one supported by dozens of crapware software.

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 07:50 PM
That is all you need to know. That is just how much no one knows. Everyone is so used to pay hundreds of _insert your currency_ that when you tell them something is free, they inmediately wait for it to be a mediocre application/OS or one supported by dozens of crapware software.
True. This is where a super bowl commercial might come in handy with some some hot model (you have to keep the people focused) wearing a penguin t-shirt might come in handy :) .

madjo
September 7th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Well, I'm a college kid, so I don't have the cash in order to buy up tons of CDs :) .
you don't have the money to order the *free* Ubuntu Shipit cds? :? :D

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM
you don't have the money to order the *free* Ubuntu Shipit cds? :? :D
Just ignore that, ok :) ?

Steve1961
September 7th, 2005, 08:09 PM
It's free, it's easy to use (once you've sorted out the initial tweeking), and for the vast majority of computer users out there, who need internet and e-mail access in a virus and spyware free environment, plus some type of office and media software, linux does everything they want from a PC. But I think there's at least three problems to overcome before we have any hope of seeing 'the year of the linux desktop' actually happen.

First, people need to be aware that they have choices. Word of mouth is good but, to be blunt, it's nowhere near enough. What's really needed is the backing of someone, or some organisation, that lots of people will listen to and take seriously.

Second, people are frightened of linux. It's hard to install and you really need programming skills to get it working properly - don't you? Seriously, this is what someone said to me at work when I suggested giving Ubuntu a try. What we really need of course is for all hardware manufacturers to supply linux drivers alongside windows drivers, then many of the initial configuration problems that people have to confront - and which this forum is full of - simply wouldn't happen.

Third, the success of Bill and Co. has meant that the words microsoft and computer are interchangeable for the vast majority of users. People are certainly more able to use computers than at any time in the past, but they're microsoft literate rather than computer literate.

I could go on, but I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that nothing is going to change overnight. But little steps can make a difference, so on that note I'm now going to the pub, and perhaps I'll take a couple of CDs with me. Lets face it, I'm bound to meet some windows user whose PC blue-screened and lost all his data today.

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 08:14 PM
It's free, it's easy to use (once you've sorted out the initial tweeking), and for the vast majority of computer users out there, who need internet and e-mail access in a virus and spyware free environment, plus some type of office and media software, linux does everything they want from a PC. But I think there's at least three problems to overcome before we have any hope of seeing 'the year of the linux desktop' actually happen.

First, people need to be aware that they have choices. Word of mouth is good but, to be blunt, it's nowhere near enough. What's really needed is the backing of someone, or some organisation, that lots of people will listen to and take seriously.

Second, people are frightened of linux. It's hard to install and you really need programming skills to get it working properly - don't you? Seriously, this is what someone said to me at work when I suggested giving Ubuntu a try. What we really need of course is for all hardware manufacturers to supply linux drivers alongside windows drivers, then many of the initial configuration problems that people have to confront - and which this forum is full of - simply wouldn't happen.

Third, the success of Bill and Co. has meant that the words microsoft and computer are interchangeable for the vast majority of users. People are certainly more able to use computers than at any time in the past, but they're microsoft literate rather than computer literate.

I could go on, but I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that nothing is going to change overnight. But little steps can make a difference, so on that note I'm now going to the pub, and perhaps I'll take a couple of CDs with me. Lets face it, I'm bound to meet some windows user whose PC blue-screened and lost all his data today.
Get 'em while they're drunk :) .

poofyhairguy
September 7th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Can I trade that in for beer at the local liquer store?

you can try!

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 08:17 PM
you can try!
*lol*

KiwiNZ
September 7th, 2005, 09:06 PM

Don't let age or circumstance limit you , ever!
If you want something go after it, ignore the barriers and false trials. Seek out the path and take it.

sapo
September 7th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I ll give you a kiss as a price..

come get it http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

hehe O:)

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I'm thinking of converting some of my XP power-user friends, but that seems to be a pain in the ass. I'll try the LiveCD on them.

Brunellus
September 7th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I'm thinking of converting some of my XP power-user friends, but that seems to be a pain in the ass. I'll try the LiveCD on them.
don't bother with the power-users. they're too obsessed with their power-userdom, and the thought of becoming a n00b once again will put them off.

anyone who considers himself a "power user" will probably not have the necessary humility to learn new things on a new OS.

YourSurrogateGod
September 7th, 2005, 11:07 PM
don't bother with the power-users. they're too obsessed with their power-userdom, and the thought of becoming a n00b once again will put them off.

anyone who considers himself a "power user" will probably not have the necessary humility to learn new things on a new OS.
I'll just give them a LiveCD and see what happens. Although I'm not too optimistic.

poofyhairguy
September 8th, 2005, 12:36 AM

Don't try too hard:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58862&highlight=convert

What Users Shouldn’t Be Converted to Ubuntu

Biggest Category: Someone with a medium amount of Windows experience.

Often these people will call themselves “Windows power users” but you can identify them by their knowledge level. People in this category include those who can protect themselves from Viruses and Spyware (since that is a big benefit of Ubuntu). Also people in this category are usually fairly proficient using many different programs in Windows, yet in no single program are they experts. Another way to tell is if the person knows what the “registry” is (but does not edit it by hand), or can install Windows themselves from scratch (but only from a CD that gives them all the drivers). It might be hard to tell the difference between these people and major nerds (Category B above) but you must use your head. You can tell how proficient someone is.

The problem with converting this type of person is they have spent years learning Windows. Often they have learned how to do things (instead of how things are done) in repetitive actions (click here, click that, and blank happens) and so in many ways Ubuntu might insult them. With Ubuntu a lot of their knowledge will be thrown out the window, and they will be humbled and have to start over from square one. They probably won’t like that. Also this category probably has a lot of weird, specific hardware yet they will not be willing to do the command line work necessary to get these things to work in Ubuntu (like a true nerd would) because “in Windows I only have to click next, next, next and it works.”

YourSurrogateGod
September 27th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Don't try too hard:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58862&highlight=convert
Yeh, I tried and failed at that. The kid uses debian on a spare pc and doesn't really compare it to other distros for compatibility and ease of use.

On another note, I got a second one :) .
/neighbor in dorm...
//he loves his ubuntu...
///he had some problems with ATI card, but all good now...
////helped him out somewhat, he seems to have a clue what to do...
/////he used other distros before...
//////Yaay!!!
///////slashity, slash slash...

karuptdata
September 27th, 2005, 06:10 AM
I have had about 4 converts.....My mother at age 47 my bestfriend and a couple of co workers....They all love Ubuntu....No I cant get my bestfriend away from his machine for a beer...LMAO

adam.tropics
November 7th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I think a few years back many people were scared away by some ridiculous install attempt experiances. I know I was! Early RedHat was not fun!! I came across Ubuntu by accident and just hope it keeps growing.

Side point, where do people think the whole linux 'community' is headed? It's changed so much I only hope the spirit of it remains in times to come...

Brunellus
November 7th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I think a few years back many people were scared away by some ridiculous install attempt experiances. I know I was! Early RedHat was not fun!! I came across Ubuntu by accident and just hope it keeps growing.

Side point, where do people think the whole linux 'community' is headed? It's changed so much I only hope the spirit of it remains in times to come...
Corporate money and community hours have been swiftly closing the 'install' gap until now, where it is arguably easier to install many distributions of Linux than it is to install Windows.

As far as the "community," I think it will grow like the internet. The early pioneering voices will become less and less relevant as RealMoney moves in and figures out ways to exploit it. There will be more end-users and fewer contributors (and by that I don't just mean amateur developers, but documentation writers, altruistic user-support groups, etc.). The experience will become commodified, and then all the hippies will move to GNU/HURD.