PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Area

shodan_lee
December 2nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
A little background; I've been tinkering with computers since a high school techie class in 97, and I'm fairly competent in windows, building my own systems and helping others do the same. I first found a Linux I could really sit and play with in BeatrIX, which grokked me to Ubuntu (then in the hoary hedgehog stage, if I recall correctly).

Anyhow, I got a new computer, the old one broke, and long story short I've finally found my excuse to jump back into Ubuntu.

Sadly, i'm still a total noob. Worse, a noob with nonstandard hardware and no extisting hardware budget.

Hi!

palintheus
December 2nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
o/

Glad to hear about another Ubuntu user in the state, be sure to check out the info post at the top of the sub forum, should give you many links and you can, almost, always find me in the IRC channel #ubuntu-us-ok on Freenode.

tlcoffee
January 25th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Right on. I'm in Tulsa as well. Good to see I'm not alone :)

cwelch
February 6th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I'm in the Tulsa area (Vinita, actually) and go to school at ITT Tech in Tulsa. We have a lot of people there using Ubuntu. Fedora 5 was the choice for one of our Linux classes, but it sucked. Teacher wants to write his own stuff and use Ubuntu next quarter. He also uses it on his own equipment, so that helped. I got into it right after Feisty came out thanks to some friends at school, and have just myself acquired another several people, and am going to build an edUbuntu box for a friends daughter also. He would try to get his department (Sheriff's Office) to switch if it wasn't for their OTIS stuff has to be 2K/XP.

franklinf
February 18th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Hi!!!

I am from Langston area and just new in the area. People don't know really much about linux here. I have used Linux (Fedora) and has decided to switch to ubuntu. I putting ubuntu in all computer in my lab and will be running a server with unbutu server. Nice to know that you around.

Let grow up.

johnnybob
June 13th, 2008, 09:26 PM
ah! this is groovy:guitar: im not the only linux user in my area, not that i thought that i was but i havent met any others, im having a real problem with suse 10.1 (thinking of upgrading to suse 11.0 beta3 ;) ) but anyway for the life of me I cannot install the the wireless linksys pci card in my system, ive read other forums where others had no problems, but the thing is different hardware, mobo's and chipsets all behave differently so i guess Im 1 of those exceptions

soooo............. can any of You guys help a dude out man?](*,)

I also have a quad 4 machine that i just built and im seeing that alot dudes are using ubuntu 7.10 for the q4, seems that they are getting it to work.

I mainly use linux for gaming and running my game servers (COD4)
http://www.happycarnage.com

my specs are:
extreme striker
q6600(overclocked to the most stable point)
x2 8800 gt(i know im gonna have fun getting to sli to work)
creative xfi fatal1ty
extremely air cooled
4 250 hdd wd raptors raid 0
bunch of pretty blue light thingy's ;)
1000 watt ps
sata lightscribe bluray
memorex dvd burner
1 250 raptor and 400 maxtor setup as a raid 0
and a 1/2 pack of camel lights later and !tada!8-)

lugnut64
June 17th, 2008, 12:55 AM
ah! this is groovy:guitar: im not the only linux user in my area, not that i thought that i was but i havent met any others, im having a real problem with suse 10.1 (thinking of upgrading to suse 11.0 beta3 ;) ) but anyway for the life of me I cannot install the the wireless linksys pci card in my system, ive read other forums where others had no problems, but the thing is different hardware, mobo's and chipsets all behave differently so i guess Im 1 of those exceptions

soooo............. can any of You guys help a dude out man?](*,)

I also have a quad 4 machine that i just built and im seeing that alot dudes are using ubuntu 7.10 for the q4, seems that they are getting it to work.

I mainly use linux for gaming and running my game servers (COD4)
http://www.happycarnage.com

my specs are:
extreme striker
q6600(overclocked to the most stable point)
x2 8800 gt(i know im gonna have fun getting to sli to work)
creative xfi fatal1ty
extremely air cooled
4 250 hdd wd raptors raid 0
bunch of pretty blue light thingy's ;)
1000 watt ps
sata lightscribe bluray
memorex dvd burner
1 250 raptor and 400 maxtor setup as a raid 0
and a 1/2 pack of camel lights later and !tada!8-)
It would be best to look at linuxquestions.org, not an Ubuntu forum but here I go.

http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Setting_up_RT61_Wireless_Cards
This has helped some people and to quote someone else (if you continue to have problems) "You can also set WEP keys with iwconfig:

iwconfig ra0 key WEPHexKeyHere

Check out man iwconfig for more options around setting a WEP key with iwconfig. "

ogredeschnique
July 4th, 2008, 05:33 AM
I'm also attending ITT Tech in Tulsa. First Quarter CNS to start out, then I'm planning to go onto the CSS for the Bachelours Digree.

I switched to Hardy Heron recently, and overwrote the recovery partition for windowsXP since I have the discs burned and on stand by, in case I give up and go back... but that is not likely. It's rolling along pretty nice, considering I have not that much technical experience. I feel like I don't know anything, but I want to learn.

I bought an ipod and pretty much the first thing I put on it was a few linux podcasts, aside from my music. I've listened to the linux stuff more than my music on it since I got the ipod.

Totally glad to hear that when I get to that part of my classes on linux that it will be (hopefully) all sorted out.

I tried out (one of) the last versions of Ubuntu, but wasn't ready I guess. I'm getting ready to try out some other distributions.

Glad to see that you're all here, too.

jamesstansell
July 4th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Hi Ogre.* - nice to hear from you!

I upgraded to 8.04.1 today - seems great so far. :)

-james.

WizMedic
July 24th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Hello All,

I am getting ready to move to Muskogee since I will be working for EagleMed as a Flight Medic in Tahlequah. I have played with Ubuntu for a few months now. Been playing with computers since the old Timex Sinclair 1000 in 1982.

Would like th join the area Ubuntu users. Will keep my eye open to when and where your next meeting will be at. Thanks.....

Rick

wisd0m
October 26th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Hello,

I am just now using ubuntu as my day-to-day computer. I am from Tulsa. Hello all.

wisd0m

jamesstansell
October 26th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Hi wisd0m - great to hear from you. Tell us about your system if you like.

-james.

wisd0m
November 4th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Hi wisd0m - great to hear from you. Tell us about your system if you like.

-james.

I'm using a system I put together a few months ago.

Antec case
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
Intel E4600 core 2 duo
Nvidia 880GT 256
2 gigs RAM
acer monitor
1394 card
hard drives

I built this one on the cheap and I'm wanting to upgrade the processor soon...we'll see.

I'm doing a dual boot with XP SP3. I use windows for Adobe stuff and iTunes. I'm sorry, but Banshee and Rythmbox cannot compare with itunes for syncing netcasts. I launch XP every morning to load my ipod, then load Ubuntu for the rest of the day.

I know Wine can run some adobe in 32bit, but I'm using 64bit Ubuntu and don't want to deal with it. I do want to load Unreal 2004 on here.

RedneckNerd
November 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Work in Tulsa, live in Skiatook. Been playing computer games since Oregon trail and lemonade stand.

Tried ubuntu 8.04 for a few days then reformatted to 8.10 because of the ease a using my usb modem. I'm dual booted on my dell 1526 (xp pro/intrepid). I have only booted into xp a few times since. I was already a heavy open source user so I will probably go totally Linux. (except for a few work programs and network)
(
Although i downloaded 8.10 just before the final release so need to get it again and reformat with smaller partition for xp. (still use it for a few programs)

I booted from the live cd on my desktop last night. Only prob sofar is my second monitor won't work. Monitor gives a 150 Hz to 75 MHz range error. Ubuntu only supports 60-75 Hz. AMD 64 3000+ with geforce 6800 and I believe an asus motherboard (built it a few years ago)

wisd0m
November 5th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I'm dual booted on my dell 1526

i need to get a decent (but cheap) laptop for upuntu. would you recomend the 1526 or dells at all?

RedneckNerd
November 6th, 2008, 06:57 AM
i need to get a decent (but cheap) laptop for upuntu. would you recomend the 1526 or dells at all?

I love my 1526. Its not a gaming rig but it runs Autocad just fine. It even made vista snappy. I usually have several programs open at once, plus internet. The battery has a bit of a short life, but I'm usually online (mobile broadband) and have the screen turned up. I also have the processor running flat out instead of scaled. A nine cell battery would fix this but I don't want to spend $300 for it. I'll probably get another 6 cell and rebuild it with higher watt hour cells.

The 1525 has a better graphics processor and you can get it with blueray. Other than that the processors are the main difference (1526=AMD 1525=Intel)

I don't use the web cam or mic so I can't vouch for them. But everything else worked with no problems out of the box with 8.10. Except the video flickers if you have the desktop "visual effects" turned on.

If you care about speakers you will be disappointed. It's the one thing I don't like about it.

duanedesign
November 21st, 2008, 04:42 AM
I am a recent convert to Ubuntu. I totally dig the size and enthusiasm of the Ubuntu community. I am eager to participate in Ubuntu's development. However my programing skills are very BASIC. Get it. I am a Graphic Designer by day. I am interested in doing some icons and themes. I am looking for someone locally who would like to work on a theme, someone who can help with the programming. If interested drop me an email.
duanedesign@gmail.com

wisd0m
November 22nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu duanedesign.