PDA

View Full Version : What random good-deeds have you done... ?

some_random_noob
December 2nd, 2007, 08:05 AM
I returned a cellphone once, it was really old but the owner had all her contacts on it. I found it outside my house and held onto it for 15 minutes before someone rang it... it's a long story, but I got in contact with the owner's friends and eventually returned it :)

<snip>

*ahem* so errrrr, anyone else got any random stories about returning peoples stuff? Surely I'm not the only person here who gives a damn about other people?

PrimoTurbo
December 2nd, 2007, 08:57 AM
One time I came into the theater and yelled out the ending of the movie, thus saving all the people from watching the crappy Lord of the Rings movie. I consider it one of my better accomplishments in life.

Another time I gave some homemade muffins to some 10 years olds.

dimbulb1024
December 2nd, 2007, 10:37 PM
During the fall here in Denver, the Puncture Vine/Goathead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris) thorns become very hard. Along dirt bike paths they are everywhere. So when riding in the fall we carry extra tubes so we can fix the flats of those unlucky ones who do not carry needed supplies.
Hmmm, sounds like we plan ahead, so maybe it's not random :)

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
Well this yesterday I gave a cigarette to a complete stranger out of the goodness of my hart.

Some months ago, on a saterday night, in the center of Bruges, i was walking from one bar to another when an old man fell on the street and it didn't look good.

I didn't had my cellphone with me so I stopped a motorbike that was passing by (i tried stopping a car, the ******* almost ran my over). It turned out to be a women (milf). She called the ambulance and we carried him together to his house a few streets further, and waited with him inside his house for the ambulance to arrive. We also contacted his family.

I'm not that bad a person as some claim :p

roaldz
December 2nd, 2007, 11:50 PM
I do good deeds just to satisfy my ego *cough*. Today I bought some presents for my grandma: a pack o napkins, a black and a white candle, and some showergel. How completely standard and almost stereotyped.
Oh **** I just ate a 135g piece of chocolate I got from Sinterklaas (yeah, we have sinterklaas), while I should have been sleeping already..](*,)

I think I should go to sleep now.. Letīs say goodbye kids..

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2007, 11:52 PM
Your a bit to soon for Sinterklaas. He hasn't even come by yet :p!

:lolflag:

bigken
December 2nd, 2007, 11:54 PM
I knock pc's together with salvaged parts and give them to elderly people and one parent family's :cool:

roaldz
December 2nd, 2007, 11:57 PM
I knock pc's together with salvaged parts and give them to elderly people and one parent family's :cool:

I assume you give them free Windows XP too? hhehee Iīm SO sorry:)

should really go to sleep now:P

Solicitous
December 3rd, 2007, 02:06 AM
I once picked up my dirty washing off the floor and put it in the washing machine, bit of a good deed to help the girlfriend out......yeah gotta be careful doing good deeds, do it once and some expect it to happen all that time.

Nah all seriousness I helped a guy push his car out of the intersection when it broke down. Guess you could almost say I felt I was paying back the debt owed when some old guy helped me push mine years ago.

crimesaucer
December 3rd, 2007, 03:39 AM
I've had to save a person from drowning two different times when I was out surfing.

The first time (I was 16 years old), it was a little redneck girl who was swimming with her brother in Nags Head NC, and she had gotten pulled out by the undertow and then got caught in a strong riptide that swept her all the way out to where all of us surfers were sitting in the outside lineup...

Her brother wouldn't leave the beach/shore-break to save her because he couldn't swim good either.

I paddled over to her and put her onto my surfboard, and then swam my board in to the beach.

It was in the late late afternoon and the sun had already gone down, so the lifeguards were all off duty. Actually one lifeguard was still hanging out on the beach with his friends, parting after his shift had ended, so he was sort of drunk...

He saw it all happening, and ran down the beach like David Hasslehoof... then he ran out into the surf and did that lifeguard dive into the shore-break, and when he finally made it out to where I had already rescued the girl onto my surfboard, his face was bleeding from where he had dove straight into a shallow sandbar and had scrapped his face on the bottom of the ocean.

She and her brother did not thank me (or the bleeding lifeguard) at all. Neither did her redneck parents watching.

The other time, the exact same thing happened with some old European dude that didn't speak English... he was clawing and scratching me as I put him onto my surfboard. When I swam him in to the beach, he didn't say thank you either. I think he was more shocked and embarrassed to say thank you, or he didn't speak English at all and the whole drowning in America sort of freaked him out, so he just walked away.

n3tfury
December 3rd, 2007, 03:43 AM
i helped two people down from Camelback Mt. in Phoenix, AZ when it was 110+ outside. some people just don't understand how much water you really need when exercising in those conditions.

http://k43.pbase.com/u20/srijith/upload/15543762.Arizona2camel_back_mountain.jpg

Lostincyberspace
December 3rd, 2007, 03:54 AM
i helped two people down from Camelback Mt. in Phoenix, AZ when it was 110+ outside. some people just don't understand how much water you really need when exercising in those conditions.

http://k43.pbase.com/u20/srijith/upload/15543762.Arizona2camel_back_mountain.jpg
It's true even the people who live there don't some times.

n3tfury
December 3rd, 2007, 04:12 AM
as long as you're aware of your limits. one lady i helped down had ONE bottle of water. rofl.

some_random_noob
December 4th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Some months ago, on a saterday night, in the center of Bruges, i was walking from one bar to another when an old man fell on the street and it didn't look good.

Ha, I did something like that on my first year of school while walking home... my dad thought I was talking crap, up until he looked across the road himself.

I also happen to be the kind of guy who brings food into work (Muffins etc). I don't know what my co-workers would do without me! :lolflag:

hkq37
December 4th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Picked up rubbish in the street whilst waiting for the bus.

some_random_noob
December 4th, 2007, 04:29 AM

Sounds like someone is joking :lol: ... seriously though people, PROPER good-deeds. I tried to think of things I've done, but couldn't think of much. Just a second ago I remembered: I gave a friend of mine an old Intel Celeron computer with 256MB of ram (And Ubuntu). I know, it sounds lame. But honestly, it cost me $50, and the guy I gave it to is only 12 years old - so he doesn't even know it sucks! :)

I'll get him a real computer one day...

hkq37
December 4th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Sounds like someone is joking :lol: ... seriously though people, PROPER good-deeds. I tried to think of things I've done, but couldn't think of much. Just a second ago I remembered: I gave a friend of mine an old Intel Celeron computer with 256MB of ram (And Ubuntu). I know, it sounds lame. But honestly, it cost me $50, and the guy I gave it to is only 12 years old - so he doesn't even know it sucks! :)

I'll get him a real computer one day...

I assure you I really have done this before and more than just once. I hate litter and people who litter- it really shows a lack of respect for everyone else in society.

jflaker
December 4th, 2007, 04:37 AM
I rescued a dog from a half opened car window. A German Shepard was left in the car while the owner ran in to get a few things in the store. The dog squeezed out of the window only to get his hind quarters hooked in the window.

not knowing the dog, and a probability of getting bit, I did it anyway. Stayed and held the dog by the collar until the owner came back out. The dog was evidently grateful, but the owner seemed a bit embarrassed.

some_random_noob
December 4th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I assure you I really have done this before and more than just once. I hate litter and people who litter- it really shows a lack of respect for everyone else in society.

Actually no, that computer was worth a fair bit for me and I probably should have kept it (It's just that I was feeling nice and chose to give it away :D ).

I could have used it for Tiberian Sun or some sort of server thingy. An Intel Celeron is actually not bad for New Zealand standards - New computers cost heaps due to our weak dollar. People tend to stick with what they've got anyway, because if you get a new computer with Vista or whatever, then it means you'll need broadband + bandwidth + big data cap. Which can add up to $50 per month just for a 4000/512 (down/up) connection with a 20GB datacap. So like I said, people stick with what they've got for AGES, because it makes more sense and the technology has no massive on going cost (Expensive broadband plans aren't required for older computers with older OSs).

In fact the only computer that I own has an Intel Celeron. (A slightly more powerful one compared to the one I gave away)

The computer I gave away was actually not that bad, nor is my current one. There's no way I'd call it trash/worthless.

fuscia
December 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM
when i was a kid, i freed an adult male grizzly bear from a trap (we've been friends ever since) and, just the other day, i came across a little girl who was crying. when i asked what the matter was, she said her mother was dying of a rare form of cancer. so, i went home and, after hours of work, came up with a cure. i've been invited to spend christmas with them, but i've had to decline the invitation as i will be spending the holiday with my own family.

stoodleysnow
December 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM
A cure?

NightCrawler03X
December 4th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Did all the washing up, and made myself and my brothers breakfast, allowing my mum to stay in bed :D

(Because she was ill)

n3tfury
December 4th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Sounds like someone is joking :lol: ... seriously though people, PROPER good-deeds.

nothing wrong with what he posted.

stoodleysnow
December 4th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Did all the washing up, and made myself and my brothers breakfast, allowing my mum to stay in bed :D

(Because she was ill)

cool, I would do just the same.
I've done a few good deeds here and there, but I'm neither one for bragging nor for remembering:roll:

crimesaucer
December 5th, 2007, 12:26 AM

If I see trash on the beach, I pick it up and throw it away...

When I lived in San Francisco, people littered so much on Ocean Beach that whenever I took my dog for a walk on the beach, or when I would go and check the surf, I would always do a personal beach clean-up and throw away what ever trash that was in the area...

... sometimes I would find a hefty garbage bag (or 2), and fill it full of trash like beer cans, plastic, and styrofoam... anything that I would see that might harm a bird, fish, seal, or porpoise...

@some_random_noob- I've work as a cook for most my life, and when I worked in SF as a cook in this fancy spot in the Marina district, there was always so much wasted food at the end of the night.

So I would grab all of these "flatbread" pizzas, and old pasta dishes, and then give them to the homeless people that were on the street of the Tenderloin when walking from the parking garage to the place I was temporarily staying at...

Sunflower1970
December 5th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Random good deed...

I went after an SUV who slammed into a Jeep and then tried to run. Got his license plate number, turned around and made sure the couple was okay. By that time the police had arrived and gave them the plate numbers. The guy was driving on a suspended license for being involved with other accidents...

hkq37
December 5th, 2007, 03:07 AM
If I see trash on the beach, I pick it up and throw it away...

When I lived in San Francisco, people littered so much on Ocean Beach that whenever I took my dog for a walk on the beach, or when I would go and check the surf, I would always do a personal beach clean-up and throw away what ever trash that was in the area...

... sometimes I would find a hefty garbage bag (or 2), and fill it full of trash like beer cans, plastic, and styrofoam... anything that I would see that might harm a bird, fish, seal, or porpoise...

Good !! Good to see people with similar convictions. I was a little disheartened to read previously that someone thought I was joking. I hope this may change your outlook on how you see yourself in our world ..push your conceptions out beyond your front door.

raul_
December 5th, 2007, 03:09 AM
One time I came into the theater and yelled out the ending of the movie, thus saving all the people from watching the crappy Lord of the Rings movie. I consider it one of my better accomplishments in life.

LOL

I always help people when they're lost or ask the time. I also bought unicef's christmas cards last year :)

some_random_noob
December 5th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Good !! Good to see people with similar convictions. I was a little disheartened to read previously that someone thought I was joking.

Errrrrrr, sorry about that! I guess people do pick up rubbish etc, but it depends where you live. Here in New Zealand nobody would bother picking up rubbish - in the big cities at least (It's everywhere, so there's simply no point). Maybe out in rural areas people would actually care.

I always help people when they're lost or ask the time.

Same here. Sometimes I even see people who are nice enough to tell me the time when I don't have my watch on me (But I always have my watch on me :) ). However, sometimes I half-except to receive a glare or a punch in the face for asking such a random/stupid question... there are some strange people out there! I'm going to always have my watch on, to save me having to ask :lolflag:

narehart
December 5th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I installed Ubuntu on my roommates laptop.