PDA

View Full Version : Do you automatically update?

Grafster
December 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
This post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3854371&postcount=42) got me thinking about automatically updating.

I used to, but I find that over the past year I've been doing it less and less and finding it more troublesome. When I do give into the urge I usually find that it's more trouble than it's worth.

I was curious whether it's a general trend.

LaRoza
December 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
I always do on Linux. I never did it on Windows.

starcannon
December 2nd, 2007, 08:03 AM
I keep /home on a separate partition, that way full clean installs of latest release is simple and painless. So I don't auto update major releases, just haven't had very good luck with it myself; I do however run the latest stable release and keep all the bug fix and security updates going so in that sense I do auto-update. I also like having install media handy for doing friends computers or the occasional "I totally borked my system, it will take 45 min to reinstall, or 10 hours to fix..." hehe.:lolflag:

p_quarles
December 2nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
That post refers to updating an Ubuntu router -- bad idea. With networking hardware or servers, you upgrade it when it has 1) a known exploit that is fixed with a patch; or 2) it's broken. Slashdot, for instance, runs on Apache 1.3. Why? Because it's not broken.

I always upgrade my desktop, though. If I break something, I have other ways to get things done.

Mateo
December 2nd, 2007, 08:17 AM
No, I used to but I got tired of that upgrade icon always there. i turned that sucker off and do it manually between once a week and once a month.

Grafster
December 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Almost 60% of the people update and never have problems. That's pretty incredible actually.

subs
December 3rd, 2007, 12:57 PM
always update on ubuntu..... never on *******.... well.... i nvr really had a legitimate version of *******

23meg
December 3rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Update what exactly? A stable version of Ubuntu? If so, since stable updates only get fixes for severe bugs and security vulnerabilities, there's no reason not to update, other than some corner cases with self-tweaked installations.

JurB
December 3rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
I always update.
Never had a problem.

de_valentin
December 3rd, 2007, 01:07 PM
On windows I was very careful about updates, I only let it give notice, then decide what was necessary and what wasn't and what is just plain wrong.

Great example after a fresh xp install the first updates it wanted to install were windows media player 10 and 11 updates, and at that time none of those were installed. (not sure about the numbers)

So the first few times when updates presented themselves in Feisty I tried to check all of them if they were necessary or not but it seemed fine and no LGA crap or phone home. so after a while I became less careful and now I don't think about it anymore.

Arwen
December 3rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
When I see an update of an application that goes from 2.0.0.9 version to 3.0.0.1 I seriously consider update but if it changes 2.0.0.3 to 2.0.0.4 (as example) I don't do update.Generally when sth works I won't mess with it. :-)

anaconda
December 3rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
I dont update kernels unless the new kernel has support for something that I need..

Updating kernels usually makes more problems than it is worth.. and autoupdating kernels isn't very smart, because it usually needs some manual fixing before new kernel works flawlessly