PDA

View Full Version : Free PS3, iPod, 360 Ads

EXCiD3
December 1st, 2007, 11:24 PM
Has anyone tried these offers? Are any of them legit? I keep seeing them around the internet, and I was just wondering if anyone had successfully completed any of these? I know most of them try to screw you out of it any way they can, just hoped maybe one was legit. It would be nice to get a free PS3 to run Ubuntu on! ;)

stoodleysnow
December 1st, 2007, 11:27 PM
That would sound naiive...

Nano Geek
December 1st, 2007, 11:29 PM
Has anyone tried these offers? Are any of them legit? I keep seeing them around the internet, and I was just wondering if anyone had successfully completed any of these? I know most of them try to screw you out of it any way they can, just hoped maybe one was legit. It would be nice to get a free PS3 to run Ubuntu on! ;)They usually say they will give it to you only after you sigh up for six credit-cards, ten loans, and install add-ware on your PC. Be assured that you will spend more on those deals than just going out and buying one.

EXCiD3
December 1st, 2007, 11:31 PM
figured as much, just dont have any $ right now and id love a PS3 ;)

Nano Geek
December 1st, 2007, 11:53 PM
Here's some interesting reading on the subject.
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/004745.html

mellowd
December 1st, 2007, 11:54 PM
nothing is for free, if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

cliche, but its true

Mateo
December 2nd, 2007, 12:07 AM
Yes, they are real, but they are also a huge hassle. You have to sign up for something, usually either a subscription of some kind or a credit card. You also have to refer others to do the same thing. I think between 5-8 is normal.

In the early days (first iPods, for example) it was a little easier. You "only" had to sign up for AOL or something like that, which you could cancel immediately after and pay nothing. The advertisers have caught wind of this and now it's more difficult to get through without paying anything.

And that's before you convince others do to the same thing. So, it's possible to get these free iPods, but it's also a pyramid scheme that probably isn't worth the trouble.

Nano Geek
December 2nd, 2007, 01:11 AM
It would be nice to get a free PS3 to run Ubuntu on! ;)If you want to try something less expensive but still cool, try using the Wii controller as a mouse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqduQfm09c). :guitar:

EXCiD3
December 2nd, 2007, 01:28 AM
Pretty sweet idea...might have to try that actually ;)

sub2007
December 2nd, 2007, 01:55 AM
As has been mentioned, most of them are pyramid schemes but where they differ from the traditional scam (they object to being called scams) they don't ask for money upfront (traditionally a pyramid scheme you put x amount of dollars upfront, get all x number of friends to put money in who then has to get another x amount of friends to sign up and then once all the required money has been put into the pyramid you get all the money invested into your pyramid back).

Basically the way the schemes work (from what I've seen) is that you have to choose an offer to accept. Some of them are movie rental trials, broadband, credit cards... they use big names to lure you in. One is a betting site where you have to make something like a $5 bet, Once you've completed an offer, you're done. Now you have to find some of your friends to sign up. In the case of the PS3, you have to find 13 people! They can't have already signed up for the scheme before (although usually if they signed up for a different offer like an iPod then that's OK) and they can't be from the same household (basically a computer with the same IP address). Each of those friends has to complete an offer as well. Also I think you have to say which scheme you're signing up for upfront (and you can do iPods, PS3 etc all at the same time but each one is treated separately and so for each one you have to fulfill the required sign up criteria individually).

So it sounds good on paper but when you look at the grand scheme of things, the vast majority of people are going to sign up and complete offers without any chance of them ever getting the thing that they wanted. That's simple to see if you take the scheme back a bit:

1 person signs up 13 friends = 14 people in the scheme
Those 13 then sign up 13 more friends each = 169 new people in scheme
Those 169 then sign up 13 more each = 2197 new people added
Those 2197 then have to sign up 13 more = 28,561 new people in scheme
Then it would be 371,293 and then 4,826,809...

Let's snapshot there. 4,826,809 NEW people have been inducted into the scheme (which is bordering on the population of London!) but only 373,673 people have actually had a payout (this is assuming that everything works perfectly). That's a 7% success rate (if all my calculations are correct).

Even though other offers may have lower numbers recruited to get a payout (as mentioned iPods are typically 5-8) the sucess rates are still (as you can see) not amazing as there is always an exponentially increasing new number of people being added to the scheme.

So whilst the schemes are legitimate and you may hear some good testimonials, they are the minority.

SomeGuyDude
December 2nd, 2007, 02:10 AM
sub2007, you have to remember also that for all those deals you have to sign up for, you can only sign up once.

Meaning, if you've already done the Blockbuster trial deal, you can't do it again. So after a while it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to find people to refer who haven't already given it a shot. I went for the iPod photo a few years ago, and after I got 5 of the 6 people I literally could not find a 6th. Absolutely everyone I found had already done almost all of the trials.

In the end, the only people who end up winning these things are able to advertise their referral URL to a huge number of people.

slimdog360
December 2nd, 2007, 03:39 AM
I'll send you a free PS3, but you have to be over 18 first. So to prove this you better send me you're credit card details first, then I promise I'll send you a ps3.

Palmyra
December 2nd, 2007, 06:45 AM
I'll send you a free PS3, but you have to be over 18 first. So to prove this you better send me you're credit card details first, then I promise I'll send you a ps3.

:lolflag:

If you insist on verifying my age, here's my information:

John Wisker
VISA: 7592 6738 4585 2985

Address:

4563 Watchtower Dr.
Kalamazoo, MI 49001

-grubby
December 2nd, 2007, 06:56 AM
:lolflag:

If you insist on verifying my age, here's my information:

XXX XXX
VISA: XXXXXX

Address:

XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXX

if that stuff is real, I SERIOUSLY WOULD NOT POST IT HERE!!!!!!