PDA

View Full Version : Who else is sick of this?

sajro
December 1st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Anyone else noticed that you always see something along the lines of this in Tech articles in newspapers and such?

If you're in the market for a new computer, get one with the new Windows Vista(R) operating system. It has built in parental controls and is the most secure Windows yet.

It makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

Laugh because it implied that a Windows OS was secure. Cry because it recommends a terrible OS with insane hardware requirements. The people reading who'll go spend $700+ on a Vista-capable computer (which will still be slow) when their current one (likely running XP or 2k) is more than adequate for Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, and other distros. Plus, it can do better eye candy than Aero.

What annoys me the most is not that they don't acknowledge the free alternative (they might not know) but they don't mention Macs. They don't mention the costs in Antivirus associated with Winblows.
Or M$'s illegal activities they try to cover up.

What do you think about these? Seen any particularly aggravating and inaccurate ones?

-grubby
December 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM
maybe Microsoft pays them.......

JAPrufrock
December 1st, 2007, 10:09 PM
Whenever I see something positive about Vista it makes me sick - Microsoft too, for that matter.

maniacmusician
December 1st, 2007, 10:15 PM
Microsoft has definitely made some decent software (needless to say, that doesn't include WIndows), which is fine, but I just can't stand them morally. Thus, I don't support them financially...same with Apple.

But Microsoft will remain prevalent in the media for a while, for the next 4-7 years, until Apple gains enough traction to step it up. You just have to learn to get used to it; the media won't change for you, but if you calm down and assess the situation, you'll realize that there are ways that you can use the media to your advantage. It works both ways, albeit more in one direction than the other...

rfruth
December 1st, 2007, 10:21 PM
Microsoft has deep pockets ... :shock:

SaltyCrak
December 1st, 2007, 11:11 PM
what really gets to me is the lack of choice in OS. if you buy a notebook it's pretty much guaranteed to come preloaded with windows. that pushes up the price!
why don't they give you a choice??

now i have a xp license that's going to waste!

bobbocanfly
December 1st, 2007, 11:15 PM
PC World (a big UK chain PC retailer) always recomends Windows Vista whatever you are buying. In there buying a case fan, "Do you want a copy of Vista with that?"

macogw
December 1st, 2007, 11:18 PM
Microsoft has definitely made some decent software (needless to say, that doesn't include WIndows),
1. Excel
2. ....
I ran out.

When I saw a "Most secure Windows yet!" sign in Best Buy, I grabbed a marker and scrap paper and under it tacked on a sign saying "Not saying much. 6,000,000 Windows viruses, but none for Linux, Mac, or BSD"

Kingsley
December 1st, 2007, 11:18 PM
Good ol' marketing.

stoodleysnow
December 1st, 2007, 11:24 PM
I thought Best Buy was just a magazine and website...?:confused:

-grubby
December 1st, 2007, 11:27 PM
I thought Best Buy was just a magazine and website...?:confused:

it's a store too