PDA

View Full Version : new to ubuntu

merchantnavy_1981
December 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM
hi,

i am capt vivek. need assistance in graduating from xp to ubuntu.

1.i want to start working on ubuntu.
2.i have never worked with linux.
3.i want to keep xp till the time i am sure ubuntu serves all my needs and is compatible with all my hardware.
4.initially i would like to have dual boot where possibly i want ubuntu on my external hd.

can anyone help plz i shall b very grateful.

sandysandy
December 1st, 2007, 02:24 PM
hi,

3.i want to keep xp till the time i am sure ubuntu serves all my needs and is compatible with all my hardware.
4.initially i would like to have dual boot where possibly i want ubuntu on my external hd.

can anyone help plz i shall b very grateful.

hi! welcome to ubuntu.
do u have a ubuntu bootable CD.

regards

merchantnavy_1981
December 1st, 2007, 02:40 PM
ya i have that i got from digit magazine thats my source of info what ever simple little i do on computers.

sandysandy
December 1st, 2007, 02:49 PM
ya i have that i got from digit magazine thats my source of info what ever simple little i do on computers.

u may consider booting from it. set ur BIOS to boot from CD ROM first followed by HDD.
the bootable Ubuntu CD lets u experience the magic of ubuntu without actually installing on ur hard disk. if u like it then u can install it also.

regards

merchantnavy_1981
December 1st, 2007, 02:57 PM
i did that i liked it how can i move any further. thnx sndy for guidance i look fwd to rech some where today. i shall feel good

kevinatkins
December 1st, 2007, 03:05 PM
Hi,

OK so you've tried the Live CD and it works, now you're wanting to install.

Before you go any further, I'd recommend you boot back into Windows and first defragment your hard drive. This is because when you install Ubuntu alongside Windows, you will need to 'shrink' your Windows installation to make space for Ubuntu, and defragmenting first lessens the (small) chance of any problems later on..

You should also make a backup of any important files before you start installing Ubuntu - again, just in case something goes wrong (which is unlikely)

Once you've done that, boot up into the Ubuntu Live CD and double-click on the install icon on the desktop. This will launch a wizard that will walk you through the process of installing Ubuntu, including shrinking Windows and installing a dual-boot loader which will subsequently allow you to choose booting Windows or Ubuntu. It's really very easy, but can be quite slow if you're running an older machine - just sit back and be patient..

All the best and I hope that you enjoy Ubuntu!

sandysandy
December 1st, 2007, 03:07 PM
i did that i liked it how can i move any further. thnx sndy for guidance i look fwd to rech some where today. i shall feel good

the install icon on the desktop lets u install the Ubuntu on your harddisk. for installing u would require to make minimum of two new partitions - One as root / and the other as SWAP. The SWAP is generally twice ur RAM size.

The partitions can be made both manually and guided with the Ubuntu Live CD installation itself.

i suggest u read the following

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

merchantnavy_1981
December 1st, 2007, 03:28 PM
thanx i see . sandy can i have ubuntu on my ext hdd some how.

merchantnavy_1981
December 1st, 2007, 03:30 PM
i will definately read what u precribed. ur guidance looks like hope, to my eagerness to know and work with ubuntu. thnx for guidance

sandysandy
December 1st, 2007, 04:14 PM
thanx i see . sandy can i have ubuntu on my ext hdd some how.

it is possible. u can search this forum for info.

however a dual boot with existing hard disk is also possible.

what are your system specs.

regards

merchantnavy_1981
December 2nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
sandy i think my system specs is the problem. i am on celeron d 2.66gz, 256 ram . insatallation is not going through, the cd boots gives me 6 or seven options with ubuntu screen. i go for first that is install. screen is black with cursor bliking on top left. and error code down below. says some err 0000 and some thing more to it if u want i will again do it and quote the whole thing to u.

sandy but thanx very much that u are taking so much pain i acknowledge sandy u great a person. actually it might be common for u butfor a guy like me its means great so i often keep mentioning it. dont mind. we army guys seldom expect any thing but u floored me.

guide me further if u expect me to upgrade my system tell me some thing nice because these vendors keep fooling u. i dont need power house . i dont game on my sys. i dond go 3 d desgning. i am more into productivity softwares and pim softwares, office softwares. more so power point presentations some moveis thats all. its more of personal pc brother. its compaq.

i dont mind a budget of 12 to 15 grands with dvd writer.

just tell me what should i ask for at the shop. so that then i dont get into querries with the stupid vendors.

merchantnavy_1981
December 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
sandy i would like to have high mediocre platform to work. i dont mind amd platform if u recommend.

bharadwaj
January 26th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Don't cry or feel sad it's waste asking for a help even when you have reached to the right place. It's just like asking to teach swimming just after getting into ocean. This is really the best place where you just can't escape answers for your questions. But make sure to be specific and clear I understand but being a newbie here first read the FAQs and rules of this forum before asking the question. Try searching for posts which you are facing the problem with this will at least stop floding. Being a bit too serious... sense does this make?

can anyone help plz i shall b very grateful
Aye aye capt!
1. Iam glad Open source has seen a new user today but a very nooby user who does't want full freedom.
2. Thats alright even I started out with zero Gnu/linux usage. I am glad you at least have a sound knowledge in windows and gates ;)
3. For a moment I was happy to an enthusiast but it wasnt right. You'll never learn linux until you shut your windows and doors. See.... this , this is where I say you to be specific you say
ubuntu serves all my needs and is compatible with all my hardware. but what in the hell is your hardware is it bully the box or any crap you need to say that :|
4. this is irreleventive, you say you are a beginner but you are asking a middle experience post which include working out with nano, tweaking your BIOS and editing your grub and if necessary even scripting few automated programmes.
Ide suggest you... Leave windows. yu must realisethe freedom of open source, if windows's got rain drops to answer Gnu/Linux's got the whirl wind to fight back must know that. And let me say you it's not just Linux it is Gnu/Linux. Fck windows I hate that peice of crap except for playing few higher end games. I really hate to compare Linux to windows but since you have asked us i had to search for it you must really thank me for this.
http://www.linuxalt.com/
http://www.linux.ie/newusers/alternatives.php

bharadwaj
January 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM
and the really fast way to learn thing is you must pretty much practice them as much as you can make sure you come here everyday or atlest twice a weak, coming here for six months and then off for hibernating fetchs you nothing, make a habbit of joining ircs they really help me you can contact me in personal too... I stay in SecBad

@_R_|\/|_@_G_E_|)_|)_0|\|
May 26th, 2008, 09:32 AM
You might want to consider doing it yourself though Capt. as bharadwaj said. I'm still eleven but even I am progressing faster through Ubuntu than I could believe myself! I too was like you Captain! I had been using Windows XP pretty much all my life until less than 2 weeks. I was unsure about installing it and I was unsure whether how to configure it but I steeled myself to and plunged into the world of Ubuntu to find the brighter side of technology! It is actually very easy if you are ready to get rid of your windows OS and very soon you will be surprised to find a much better computing experience! So plunge into Ubuntu and enjoy it!

:guitar: :guitar:

i_love_AMY_MACDONALD
June 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
the install icon on the desktop lets u install the Ubuntu on your harddisk. for installing u would require to make minimum of two new partitions - One as root / and the other as SWAP. The SWAP is generally twice ur RAM size.

The partitions can be made both manually and guided with the Ubuntu Live CD installation itself.

i suggest u read the following

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing
ubuntu install has become so easy now, as compared to then:)

aiser
December 1st, 2009, 08:33 AM
:popcorn: