PDA

View Full Version : A Linux Computer

verdisquo
December 1st, 2007, 03:56 AM
Hey guy's I just wanted to settle into a good forum, so I think the ubuntuforum would be the best for me to waste time and talk on.

Anyways, I started development of a computer a new type, not your PC. It's similar to iMac, but for Linux, I call it the PSC, there will be different types of the PSC. The first is Xaphis which I have planned out and is now in construction. I've decided to use a Mini-ITX motherboard. It has a 250GB hardrive. Specs.. i will get into later.

The design is much like the iMac, a aluminum shell, it's all black though. It's made for linux, the early models will be pre-loaded and running Ubuntu, but I do have my own Linux distro i'm working on called Verdis. It's based off ubuntu, but i'm making huge changes...

Oh yeah PSC, stands for Personal Super Computer, I have a few "futuristics" specs done by me built into the system. I've also integrated the laser keyboard (optional) into it, also a good webcam.

This has to be one of my best projects i've embarked on, the whole computer system is sexy, it's about the size of my hand. I got photos and more details on my website.

I just wanted to post this to see what you guys think so far. So tell me linux community your thoughts about my project, and yeah i'll be posting here a lot more often. This is officially my official hang out forum now.

dnns123
December 1st, 2007, 04:00 AM
I'm kind of excited just reading this.... can you post pics?
Is it for sale when your done?

rfruth
December 1st, 2007, 04:02 AM
sign me up ?

Linuxratty
December 1st, 2007, 04:04 AM
I'm kind of excited just reading this.... can you post pics?
Is it for sale when your done?

As am I...it sounds quite interesting...Do give us more details.

verdisquo
December 1st, 2007, 04:07 AM
Yeah i'm kinda planing on making more, and different types for different types of task. advancing them as I go, the blu-ray drive is what I want next into it, as soon as panasonic releases the 2.5" drive it's going into the PSC's. and yeah I got a pic of the computer outside the shell, the shell mold isn't done yet...

these photos are kind of old, it's looking much more fuller now but still small. I'll try and keep ppl updated on it. You can view some cell phone photos here i took a while back.

http://ronaldarichardson.com/core/2007/11/21/exclusive-xaphis-psc-photos-just-in/

Lostincyberspace
December 1st, 2007, 04:21 AM
So is it just a case modded computer or like mac totally different from a pc.

mellowd
December 1st, 2007, 04:23 AM
You need a camera that can focus :) Or throw more light onto the subject.

Your idea is good, though its difficult to see whats going on so far

n3tfury
December 1st, 2007, 04:33 AM
uh...looks like a blurry motherboard. what am i missing.

Linuxratty
December 1st, 2007, 04:37 AM
[QUOTE=n3tfury;3869954

Nothing,I'm seeing a blurry MB as well...

verdisquo
December 1st, 2007, 04:38 AM
It' a whole new type of computer like MAC, I'd want to get into deep details but I don't want to give too much. It's a computer built for linux, more specs into the ITX motherboard I have put together...

Embedded VIA C7 Processor with 21 nm NanoBGA2 Technology

The new VIA C7™ processor is the smallest, lowest power, most efficient and most secure native x86 processor in the world. Built on the advanced VIA CoolStream™ architecture, the ‘Esther’ core of the VIA C7 processor is designed to extend the digital lifestyle by combining robust performance with ultra low power consumption and highly efficient heat dissipation.

VIA CN700 Digital Media Chipset and VT8237RP Southbridge Chipset

The first chipset to support the new VIA C7™ processor family, the VIA CN700 is fully optimized to provide an outstanding HD digital media experience. Featuring the all new high bandwidth V4 bus as well as support for DDR2 memory modules, the VIA CN700 delivers a highly advanced solution for developers interested in designing a wide range of powerful embedded and desktop devices. When combined with solutions such as the market-leading VIA VT8237R South Bridge and a broad array of VIA companion chips, the VIA CN700 provides a comprehensive range of storage, multimedia and connectivity features, including native Serial ATA with RAID functions, 6-channel Audio, 10 / 100 Ethernet, and USB2.0.

MPEG-2 Decoding Acceleration

Enhanced digital media performance is ensured with support for SSE2 and SSE3 multimedia instructions and a full-speed Floating Point Unit (FPU), while all VIA C-Series mobile chipsets integrate hardware MPEG-2 decoding acceleration for flawless digital video playback and streaming, Voice over IP telephony and video conferencing, and much more.

VIA Padlock Security Engine

In addition to the world’s best random number generator (RNG) and AES Encryption Engine in the previous processor generation, the VIA PadLock Security Engine in the VIA C7 processor adds SHA-1 and SHA-256 hashing for secure message digests, and a hardware based Montgomery Multiplier supporting key sizes up to 32K in length to accelerate public key cryptography, such as RSA™. The VIA C7 also provides NX Execute Protection, providing protection from malicious software such as worms and viruses. Integrating security directly onto the processor die ensures speeds and efficiency many times that available in software, yet with negligible impact on processor performance.

and that's just details off my website. I guess when I get everything all together I can give more details on the system, the PSC will be built for linux from the BIOS to finish.

Lostincyberspace
December 1st, 2007, 04:44 AM
Did you design the mother board your self or have some else at least design it specifically for you. if not then it is just an extreme case mod with an unusual motherboard style.

Just trying to figure out how it is like a mac

n3tfury
December 1st, 2007, 04:48 AM
The design is much like the iMac, a aluminum shell, it's all black though. It's made for linux, the early models will be pre-loaded and running Ubuntu, but I do have my own Linux distro i'm working on called Verdis. It's based off ubuntu, but i'm making huge changes...

Oh yeah PSC, stands for Personal Super Computer, I have a few "futuristics" specs done by me built into the system. I've also integrated the laser keyboard (optional) into it, also a good webcam.

you know, with that kind of sales pitch i expected to at LEAST see a prototype or some rendered drawing of the finished machine. i'm beginning to think this is pure rubbish.

verdisquo
December 1st, 2007, 04:49 AM
I put the motherboard together, but didn't manufacture the parts, I got everything separate and put it all together, i'm getting into Nano tech kinda stuff. I wish to soon start manufacturing everything myself. It may just be a modded pc etc... but hopefully through further development after each release I get closer into a new brand of pc.

verdisquo
December 1st, 2007, 04:52 AM
you know, with that kind of sales pitch i expected to at LEAST see a prototype or some rendered drawing of the finished machine. i'm beginning to think this is pure rubbish.

I have all that drawn and planned in my notebook, it's not rubbish i assure you. This to me is a step towards furthering linux, and getting it out into more people's homes. I believe this is accomplishable, I can show a few prototypes I've drawn many. I'm good at visual art, so it's not sloppy. I have a good camera, i'll take photos and post them here later.

Flying caveman
December 1st, 2007, 04:58 AM
Well people are going to have high expectations if your calling it a "super computer"

I don't think the VIA C7 qualifies for super computer status.

Lostincyberspace
December 1st, 2007, 04:59 AM
I have all that drawn and planned in my notebook, it's not rubbish i assure you. This to me is a step towards furthering linux, and getting it out into more people's homes. I believe this is accomplishable, I can show a few prototypes I've drawn many. I'm good at visual art, so it's not sloppy. I have a good camera, i'll take photos and post them here later.

So are you going to give it away or sell it to Intel like apple did to get big.

verdisquo
December 1st, 2007, 05:02 AM
Well people are going to have high expectations if your calling it a "super computer"

I don't think the VIA C7 qualifies for super computer status.

I call it a super computer, because it runs Linux. The C7 is what I have in the first model i'm building, my future models will have stronger and dual processors.

verdisquo
December 1st, 2007, 05:06 AM
So are you going to give it away or sell it to Intel like apple did to get big.

This is for the Linux community, other companies seem to sorta overlook linux, i'd want to keep this in my hands. Most people, a lot do not know about Linux. I'm surprised every time I hear someone mention Linux. At least in my environment. Windows rules every home now. I'm going to hold on to this project, and hope I can further my goals for it, I have so much to go, a lot of ideas I am unable to put into the first model, "Xaphis 1". But I believe I can do this, and fulfill each goal.