PDA

View Full Version : The back to school thread

psychicdragon
September 6th, 2005, 04:28 AM
I would imagine a lot of people here are students. Classes start tomorrow, for me at least. So I'm wondering: who's going where, and what's everyone studying?

I'll go first. ;-)

I'm starting my first semester at Simon Fraser University (http://www.sfu.ca/) after taking a year off from school to live like a bum. I took a tour of the campus yesterday and it seems really nice. The buildings are pretty old but the scenery is absolutely amazing. It's in the middle of a provincial park so there are trees everywhere.

I'm majoring in computing sciences, I've got almost half the credits at this point.

I'm pretty excited about going back to school, my year off was lots of fun. But I was starting to get kind of bored lately. :roll:

bored2k
September 6th, 2005, 04:56 AM
My current college trimester started about a month ago (August the 2nd I believe) because In my college I only get about 2 1/2 weeks to breath. I'm studying Systems Engineering somewhere in Dominican Republic you all would not know even if you tried to :-P.

poofyhairguy
September 6th, 2005, 06:45 AM
I began my fifth year of college two days ago (I know it sounds bad but I went to many colleges along the way and I lost many credits with all the transfering). I am a Communications major at Texas A&M.

wondering_jew
September 6th, 2005, 08:05 AM
I just started my senior year at the University of Wyoming, and I'm a Philosophy major. Don't feel bad about the 5 or 6 year plan, this is my 8th semester and I've got 2 more after this one in addition to taking a semester off ... i'm going to be 24 when i graduate and I already feel like a dirty old man If I look at the new freshman girls running around... *sigh* This college thing is taking forever...

N'Jal
September 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I start my first university year on the 24th i even have a gesklet counting down the days for me. I can't wait! Though i am going to university in an ugly city in middlesbourgh (Teesside)

I already feel like a dirty old man If I look at the new freshman girls running around... *sigh*

Oh well i wont have this problem since i WILL be a freshman, but my third year will be away in industry :( so if i find a girl i could be away from her for a year. On the up hand i could be sent to big blue. Doubt it though, i have long hair i wouldn't be willing to cut.

poofyhairguy
September 6th, 2005, 10:48 AM
i even have a gesklet counting down the days for me.

Spoken like a true Ubuntuer.

N'Jal
September 6th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Spoken like a true Ubuntuer.

Thanks... i think... that was a complement, right and not sarcasm?

Ampersand
September 6th, 2005, 12:38 PM
This is my first year of not going back to school/university...

Lord Illidan
September 6th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I'm going to post secondary school..
Taking A levels in Pure Maths and Computing...

WildTangent
September 6th, 2005, 01:22 PM
grade 11 of highschool starts today. i dont need to be at school until 11:30 though

my first semester goes like this:
computer engineering
communications
math
chemistry

second semester:
functions and relations (more math)
english
physics
transportation technology (AKA, auto)

-Wild

Brunellus
September 6th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I already feel like a dirty old man If I look at the new freshman girls running around... *sigh* This college thing is taking forever...

hhahahaha. Autumn, when a young man breathes giddily of the air of boundless opportunity!

macgyver2
September 6th, 2005, 03:56 PM
I began my fifth year of college two days ago (I know it sounds bad but I went to many colleges along the way and I lost many credits with all the transfering).
Nah, doesn't sound bad. Took me six years to get my degree, seven if you count the semester I had to take off between schools (had to start in the Spring to cover some classes only offered every other year) and the semester between when I technically finished in December and when they gave me my degree in May. As long as you're learning, I don't see anything wrong with taking more time than the "expected standard".

xequence
September 6th, 2005, 10:36 PM
High school started today... Grade 9. Wasnt fun at all.

WildTangent
September 6th, 2005, 11:02 PM
High school started today... Grade 9. Wasnt fun at all.
my brother started grade 9 today :P grade 10 is the best year, you already know your way around, and you can still goof off to some degree. better do your best work in grade 11 and 12 though, they matter ALOT

-WIld

BWF89
September 6th, 2005, 11:40 PM
I started in the 10th grade a week ago. I get up at 5:30 AM Est and my first semester goes like this:

-Homeroom
-Computer Art Extensions (Appleworks, Photoshop, and Illustraitor on the G5 iMacs with OS 10)
-Physical Science
-Geometry
-Intro to Business
-Intro to computers (the older colored iMacs with OS 9.2)
-Lunch
-Then I go back to Intro to Computers
-Study hall
-English
-Global Studies

jyank
September 7th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Started my second semester at a local community college here about two weeks ago, majoring in networking.

Taking networking concepts 111, linux administration, business 101, finite math, and... golf, have to have a PE/Health credit and we have a driving range on campus so we go there for two hours, pretty fun :)

oddabe19
September 7th, 2005, 02:00 AM
So many youngins.
:-P

I started last Monday.

5th year in college.... about 3 or 4 more to go. (I was Part-time cause school is so damn expensive). 12.5 credits this semester (But it's 8 classes, music is a nasty major since all the classes are only 1 or 2 credits with same amount of work as 6 credit courses).

I'm actually full time for the first time this year. Music Education, History Minor. At Millersville University of Pennsylvania (www.millersville.edu)

gorkhal
September 7th, 2005, 02:57 AM
I'm going to post secondary school..
Taking A levels in Pure Maths and Computing...

Ahh A levels....the nightmares...the pure agony....

How many modules these days in Pure Maths?? we used to have p1, p2, p3, p4, but I think its all changed now. Boy was it hard.

benplaut
September 7th, 2005, 03:25 AM
So many youngins.
:-P

started 8th grade a month ago :roll:

TristanMike
September 7th, 2005, 03:47 AM
I'm not going back to school per se....starting next Friday (Sept. 16th) I'll be touring Nova Scotia doing an elementary school play on internet safety.

Then, after the play, we flog the children until they swear allegence to Linux, and more importantly Ubuntu. Prepare for a rash of new users Gwahahahaha. :twisted:

Brunellus
September 7th, 2005, 03:58 AM
started 8th grade a month ago :roll:
hey, kid, dontcha have homework or something? scram!

;p

psychicdragon
September 7th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Wow, I'm certainly surprised at the number of hich school students. It's awesome to see so many young people getting involved in open source.

On the subject of being old and still in college: I'm turning 23 in 2 weeks. So I'll probably have a couple of grey hairs by the time I complete my degree :grin:

Skye
September 7th, 2005, 04:39 AM
My junior year in highschool starts on thursday; summer seems to have gone past far too quickly.

Stormy Eyes
September 7th, 2005, 04:45 AM
I would imagine a lot of people here are students. Classes start tomorrow, for me at least. So I'm wondering: who's going where, and what's everyone studying?

I'm free of school, and have been for the last seven years. Not that I have any sympathy for any of you still stuck in prison; I lost my empathy while still inside.

poofyhairguy
September 7th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Not that I have any sympathy for any of you still stuck in prison.

If this is prison, I never want to be free.

benplaut
September 7th, 2005, 04:58 AM
hey, kid, dontcha have homework or something? scram!

;p

/me directs message to homework: "scram!"

aveline
September 7th, 2005, 05:10 AM
/me directs message to homework: "scram!"
I am 33(soon 34...oh yay) and going to get some high school credits starting sept12/13th (misses first day of classes to get some learning disability testing done which is gonna take from about 10am to 6pm-ish). Then.... well i was goin to go into nursing if i can get in but now i'm not sure and it will probably depend on what these tests say or don't say which career i get into.

going to miss bein a housewife and being able to sleep in every day *sigh*

aveline

psychicdragon
September 7th, 2005, 05:22 AM
I am 33(soon 34...oh yay) and going to get some high school credits starting sept12/13th (misses first day of classes to get some learning disability testing done which is gonna take from about 10am to 6pm-ish). Then.... well i was goin to go into nursing if i can get in but now i'm not sure and it will probably depend on what these tests say or don't say which career i get into.

going to miss bein a housewife and being able to sleep in every day *sigh*

aveline

I wish you the best of luck.

Reminds me exactly of my mother. After raising three sons she went back to school and now roughly ten years later is very happy working as a maternity nurse.

GreyFox503
September 7th, 2005, 07:47 AM
If this is prison, I never want to be free.

Hehe. This is my second year of college and its awesome. \\:D/

Maybe Stormy Eyes was referring to mandatory k-12 education...

3rd semester at University of Missouri-Rolla, majoring in.... Comp. Sci! yay.

EDIT: I guess the dancing smiley is broken...