PDA

View Full Version : Using GCC 4.2

CodeWarMonkey
November 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I am using Feisty Fawn and want to use gcc 4.2. If I install gcc, it will automatically install gcc 4.1 I want to use gcc 4.2 because 4.2 has features that 4.1 are missing. Is there a good way to make gcc point to 4.2 instead of 4.1, or do I have to manually change the symbolic links in /usr/bin?

Thanks.

aks44
November 30th, 2007, 11:15 PM
AFAIK there is no Feisty backport for GCC 4.2. Which means you probably shouldn't try to install it.

If you really need 4.2 features you'd be better off upgrading to Gutsy.

Anyway as far as the C++ standard goes I'm not aware of any improvements, or are you relying on vendor-specific features?

CodeWarMonkey
November 30th, 2007, 11:31 PM
My mistake. I am using Gutsy. I am creating a toolchain for a cross-compiler. gcc 4.2 is required for the --sysroot option. I want to be able to move my cross-compiler out the staging directory into the appropriate spot (/usr/local/comp).

samjh
December 1st, 2007, 08:33 AM
If you've already installed the package, trying using sudo update-alternatives to change gcc.

Sorry, I'm in a rush, try the --help option about update-alternatives.

TwoWordz
January 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for the correct way to change the gcc compiler on a ubuntu system. I tried update-alternatives:

root@newcomputer:~# update-alternatives --list gcc
No alternatives for gcc.

and I found this bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcc-4.2/+bug/145486

This answer states that it is not an alternative (or a bug):

GCC versions come with different ABIs and APIs, therefore it is not an alternative. If you do want to use a different version do so by building witj CC=gcc-X.Y CXX=g++-X.Y

Using CC=gcc-4.2 is ok, but I wanna make it the default compiler on the system. Can it break anything?

Is a symlink the right way to do it?

Thanks,

TW

TwoWordz
January 14th, 2008, 02:26 AM
bump?