PDA

View Full Version : Oh wow..I'm windowless

MPagoPago
November 30th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Hi all, Sorry I've not been active on the forums so far. But, I'm not well heeled enough yet to give advice, and I've not run into any more issues needing help, so been kind of quiet.

I've been using Ubuntu a little over 2 months, counting my "live CD time", and last night, I did a clean install of 7.10 in both the desktop and the laptop to do away with the windows partitions. I'm sure that there is an easier way to delete partitions, but I'm not THAT far along yet :)

I had not booted into the windows partitions in over a month, and I decided that I wanted that additional HDD space for goodies.

perlluver
November 30th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Congratulations...

Kingsley
November 30th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Want to do a celebratory jump hug?

aimran
November 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Just do:

emerald --replace

Oh wait, this isn't one of those emerald trouble threads?

Redenbacher
November 30th, 2007, 06:33 PM
That has to be amazing... I can not wait until the time when I can be completely windows free... To hell with windows! ....but then again... if there was no windows for people to complain about, what would Linux have to advance past? :P

BigSilly
November 30th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I'm newly Windows free too (well, as of last month anyway).

Cool innit? Hope you have loads of fun!

:guitar:

happysmileman
November 30th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Just do:

emerald --replace

Oh wait, this isn't one of those emerald trouble threads?

:lolflag: I thought the same thing.

Also i'm Linux free for months, but my computer isn't (or, to explain better, my mother's computer isn't)

sujoy
November 30th, 2007, 07:07 PM
as much as I hate it, I still got to keep windows for those occasional gaming sessions...

roachk71
November 30th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Congratulations. I had recently bought a new computer with Windows Vista preinstalled, and knew from the beginning of the experience that it would be nothing but trouble.

I had originally wanted to keep it installed, but after a fatal (and irrecoverable) Vista crash, decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Besides, this computer, with its virtualization technology active running Ubuntu 7.10, by many times surpasses Vista in performance (even with Aero disabled.)

I'm now glad I've completely switched. Ubuntu Rocks!!!:guitar:

n3tfury
November 30th, 2007, 07:16 PM
OP: congrats. as for me, i use both just as much as the other (thanks to work and gaming) but i have no issues with either of them.

Tundro Walker
December 1st, 2007, 10:18 AM
Rock on, Dude, and welcome to the club.

I remember my first time installing Win98. My brother had always done it for me in the past, and by his aggravation, I could tell it wasn't fun. So, I printed off articles from web sites talking about how to do it before I started, because I knew once I started, that was it...my comp would be down and I couldn't use it to surf the net for answers. So, I reformatted, did my Win95 cd then the Win98, because the Win98 cd was only an upgrade not a full install CD, waited, answered questions, waited more...worried when the progress meter wasn't moving (is it locked up?!)...worried when it rebooted multiple times (is that normal?!) It was a very annoying and nerve-wracking process. Then, it finally finished...and then I had to spend hours updating, reinstalling software I liked, tweaking, etc, etc.

Then my first Ubuntu install...

1) pop in CD
2) click "install"
3) let it install while I surf the net

Holy CRAP! Why isn't everything this easy?!

Only really hard "lesson" I learned was when I upgraded from 6.10 to 7.04 using the Update Manager. It screwed up my system, so I had to reinstall from cd. Unfortunately, I had an old 6.10 install disk. So, after reinstalling, I had to sit through a couple hours of updates. From that, I learned that when you're upgrading, be sure to get the latest copy of the ISO and make an install disk from it, since it'll take the current updates into account already, saving you time after install.

Of course, I was pleasantly surprised the 7.04 to 7.10 upgrade through Update Manager went flawlessly. But still...I had the current 7.04 on hand just in case.

Linuxratty
December 1st, 2007, 07:35 PM
as much as I hate it, I still got to keep windows for those occasional gaming sessions...

Same for me,and the on line videos that must use Windows.

sajro
December 1st, 2007, 09:26 PM
I thought this was another thread about the windows manager messing up and there being no "minimize, maximize, close" buttons.

:lolflag:

satx
December 2nd, 2007, 12:02 AM
The only reason I keep WIN XP around is to run MS FlightSim X! Curently running dual boot WIN XP/Gutsy and I do have a VMWARE WIN XP partition (under Ubuntu) in case I have to work with some MS APPS (Word, etc. for work). Otherwise, I am almost weaned. May try FightSim under Wine- anyone try that?

SATX

tombott
December 2nd, 2007, 12:10 AM
The only reason I keep WIN XP around is to run MS FlightSim X! Curently running dual boot WIN XP/Gutsy and I do have a VMWARE WIN XP partition (under Ubuntu) in case I have to work with some MS APPS (Word, etc. for work). Otherwise, I am almost weaned. May try FightSim under Wine- anyone try that?

SATX

Check out FlightGear (http://www.flightgear.org/) SATX, multi platform open-source goodness for you!

prodigalson666
December 2nd, 2007, 12:15 AM
Congarts! Dropping windows is like kicking a bad habit!

YRU12
December 2nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
I just did the upgrade from fiesty to gibbon. Finally got the resolution for Nvidia driver working where the screen isn't outrageous. Have done red hat one and nine before. Have used knoppix. Linux was DOS 2 in the college I took. Presently trying to figure out how to get Yahoo messenger and my creative web cam to work. Any suggestions?

satx
December 7th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Tombott:

Thanks for the suggestion on FlightGear. I'll check it out.

SATX

crimesaucer
December 7th, 2007, 04:53 AM
If I could afford a new mp3 player that would work on Linux, then I would have no Windows partition, or at least only a small back-up partition.

My iRiver T30 will only load properly on Windows Xp, so I keep half my hard drive for my music in Xp, and using ntfs-3g I can still write to my windows partition so I don't feel that I am wasting that much space.

Maybe I'll finally get that Cowon mp3 player with flac and ogg, and Linux support, and since I have replaced uTorrent with Deluge, there would be no reason at all to still have windows other than a back up just in case I need something windows specific.

SomeGuyDude
December 7th, 2007, 05:00 AM
The first time you start up your computer completely without Windows is one of the weirdest feelings.

I'm someone who's been on Windows since 3.0 and used every variety up through Vista, so it always felt like a computer SHOULD have Windows on it, if something mucks up I put Windows on and it's all good again. As though Windows was what runs computers, and everything else is attempts at deviating.

When I borked my HD with GParted, I just went for it and threw Ubuntu on with no Windows, and after being nervous about it for about three days (my god, what if I need to do something that only Windows can do?!?), I hardly even think about it any more except when I restart and see the Ubuntu splash.

Freedom, baby. Freedom.