PDA

View Full Version : New Dell-Idea-Storm Proposal to boost Ubuntu

ago
November 30th, 2007, 12:39 PM
http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/75302

What about having a checkbox for each operating system in order to allow users to select multiple choices? No checkbox = no OS, multiple checkboxes = Multiboot. The conflict resolution dialog notifes about conflicts between OS and other hardware choices.

Select My Operating Systems:
[ _ ] Free DOS (info) [$0]
[ x ] Ubuntu 7.10 (info) [$0]
[ _ ] Windows XP (info) [add $50]
[ x ] Windows Vista Basic (info) [add $50]
[ _ ] Windows Vista Home Premium (info) [add $100]
[ _ ] Windows Vista Ultimate (info) [$150]
[ _ ] Windows Vista Business (info) [$100]

Ubuntu, XP and all other operating systems should be made available on all machines unless there is a fundamental hardware issue that makes a particular OS unsuitable (an issue that cannot be resolved by selecting a different component). Each item should have an info button which opens a brief explanation, a fair comparison table of all operating systems should also be provided. Details such as bootloader choice in multiboot configuration and disk allocation algorithm are left to Dell engineers to have fun with.

Hopefully that will accomodate most requests relating to OS choice while keeping the interface simple and intuitive.

How does that help? In several ways:

* It asks to provide Ubuntu on all offerings
* It asks to give equal preminence to all OSs
* It makes price comparison transparent, so that users are not tricked to believe that Windows is "free since it comes with the PC".
* It makes it clear that today there is not only windows

But so far nothing really new, many other proposals have suggested to add Ubuntu to the list of operating systems to make the OS choice transparent, this just reinforce such claims.

Where this proposal differs is that via a small change in user interface (checkboxes), it allows multiboot, and since it does not cost anything to add Ubuntu in multiboot, even users that want to get Windows have a strong incentive to also install Ubuntu...

hanzomon4
November 30th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I like this...

My biggest complaint with Dellbuntu is the lack of hardware choices. They only have a laptop and a desktop with ubuntu pre-installed. I'd just love to have the choice to put Ubuntu on some of those Windows only computers.

n3tfury
November 30th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I like this...

My biggest complaint with Dellbuntu is the lack of hardware choices. They only have a laptop and a desktop with ubuntu pre-installed. I'd just love to have the choice to put Ubuntu on some of those Windows only computers.

oh - i heard they ship you a CD and it's NOT installed, but the hardware is 100% guaranteed compatible? weird.

ago
November 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I like this...

Part of this request and others is to provide Ubuntu on all their offerings. Most of incompatibilities today are due to minipci wireless cards which can easily be swapped out, as well as video cards (with noteworthy improvements) and webcams. They have a conflict resolution dialog already to signal conflicts among incompatible hardware choices, it would be trivial to extend that to incompatibilities between OS and devices. Also Ubuntu now provides a hardware certification program which would make things easier (http://www.ubuntu.com/partners/hardwareprogramme).

macogw
November 30th, 2007, 06:22 PM
oh - i heard they ship you a CD and it's NOT installed, but the hardware is 100% guaranteed compatible? weird.

That's with FreeDOS. Ubuntu is pre-installed.

n3tfury
November 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM
thx.

2cute4u
November 30th, 2007, 08:14 PM
EVERYONE needs to promote this idea. This should be made a sticky

alwiap
November 30th, 2007, 08:18 PM
good idea, the vast majority of people i talk with that are not computer savvy assume that windows just comes with the PC and the PC can't run without it... this would at least start the gears working :)

digitalbenji
November 30th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I like the thought of dell offering to install Ubuntu on everything they sell, but its just not feasible. The bottom line is that there is still a range of hardware that needs special configurations to work on linux, and in some cases just won't work on linux.

2cute4u
November 30th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I like the thought of dell offering to install Ubuntu on everything they sell, but its just not feasible. The bottom line is that there is still a range of hardware that needs special configurations to work on linux, and in some cases just won't work on linux.

Can you give an example of any systems that Dell currently sells that don't work with linux?

SunnyRabbiera
November 30th, 2007, 09:23 PM
this is a good idea

Dimitriid
November 30th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Good idea but there is no chance in hell Microsoft would allow it: they'll try ( and most likely succeed ) to blackmail Dell to put a stop to it.

2cute4u
December 1st, 2007, 03:15 AM
Good idea but there is no chance in hell Microsoft would allow it: they'll try ( and most likely succeed ) to blackmail Dell to put a stop to it.

Thats why we need EVERYONE to get behind this, Microsoft won't succeed against critical mass