PDA

View Full Version : What's your take on this quote?

butterball23
November 30th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I was given this short book, and while reading through it, I stumble upon this paragraph...

Man should not be blinded to whatsoever merit exists in the opportunity which he hath in hand, remembering that a thousand promises for the future should weigh as naught against the possession of a single piece of silver.

I'm not sure how to interpret this.

Any thoughts or opinions?

billgoldberg
November 30th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Live in the present, don't focus to much on the future?

just my take, couldn't understand a few words.

sethvath
November 30th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Taking it out of context since I have no idea what is the actual context of the paragraph.
"remembering that a thousand promises for the future should weigh as naught against the possession of a single piece of silver." - A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

master5o1
November 30th, 2007, 12:51 PM
The future is not to be trusted!

heh :P

sethvath
November 30th, 2007, 12:55 PM
A little googling and presto

The Magic Story
by Frederick Van Rensselaer Dey

The Magic Story was originally published in 1900 in Success Magazine. It was a fable within a story, telling a very inspiring tale about one man's transformation through perseverance and continued striving.

It is claimed that many who read or hear this story almost immediately begin to have good fortune...

The Magic Story

Inasmuch as I have evolved from my experience the one great secret of success for all worldly undertakings, I deem it wise, now that the number of my days is nearly counted, to give to the generations that are to follow me the benefit of whatsoever knowledge I possess. I do not apologize for the manner of my expression, nor for the lack of literary merit, the latter being, I wot, its own apology. Tools much heavier than the pen have been my portion, and moreover, the weight of years has somewhat palsied the hand and brain; nevertheless, the fact I can tell, and what I deem the meat within the nut. What mattereth it, in what manner the shell be broken, so that the meat be obtained and rendered useful? I doubt not that I shall use, in the telling, expressions that have clung to my memory since childhood; for, when men attain the number of my years, happenings of youth are like to be clearer to their perceptions than are events of recent date; nor doth it matter much how a thought is expressed, if it be wholesome and helpful, and findeth the understanding.

Much have I wearied my brain anent the question, how best to describe this recipe for success that I have discovered, and it seemeth advisable to give it as it came to me; that is, if I relate somewhat of the story of my life, the directions for agglomerating the substances, and supplying the seasoning for the accomplishment of the dish, will plainly be perceived. Happen they may; and that men may be born generations after I am dust, who will live to bless me for the words I write.

My father, then, was a seafaring man who, early in life, forsook his vocation, and settled on a plantation in the colony of Virginia, where, some years thereafter, I was born, which event took place in the year 1642; and that was over a hundred years ago. Better for my father had it been, had he hearkened to the wise advice of my mother, that he remain in the calling of his education; but he would not have it so, and the good vessel he captained was bartered for the land I spoke of. Here beginneth the first lesson to be acquired:

Man should not be blinded to whatsoever merit exists in the opportunity which he hath in hand, remembering that a thousand promises for the future should weigh as naught against the possession of a single piece of silver.

When I had achieved ten years, my mother's soul took flight, and two years thereafter my worthy father followed her. I, being their only begotten, was left alone; howbeit, there were friends who, for a time, cared for me; that is to say, they offered me a home beneath their roof - a thing which I took advantage of for the space of five months. From my father's estate there came to me naught; but, in the wisdom that came with increasing years, I convinced myself that his friend, under whose roof I lingered for some time, had defrauded him, and therefore me.

Of the time from the age of twelve and a half until I was three and twenty, I will make no recital here, since that time hath naught to do with this tale; but some time after, having in my possession the sum of sixteen guineas, ten, which I had saved from the fruits of my labor, I took ship to Boston town, where I began to work first as a cooper, and thereafter as a ship's carpenter, although always after the craft was docked; for the sea was not amongst my desires.

fuscia
November 30th, 2007, 12:55 PM
a bird in the oven is worth two in the bush.

Roger Gundberg
November 30th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Take precious this moment, it will never come again.
Some people never take
Some people never give
Some people never die
Some people never live
Time...oh,good, good time
Where have you gone?

Kmasi
August 24th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Man should not be blinded to whatsoever merit exists in the opportunity which he hath in hand,

This means that see past the merit of the oppertunity that exists now,

remembering that a thousand promises for the future should weigh as naught against the possession of a single piece of silver.

His father captained a good vessel that was bartered for the land he once spoke of. He didnt remain in the calling of his education.

promises of your future weigh as zerio against a dollar money.... His father should have payed no mind to the oppertunity of promises of an empty future. No one can promise anything in the future.

Kmasi
August 24th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Man should not be blinded to whatsoever merit exists in the opportunity which he hath in hand,

This means that see past the merit of the oppertunity that exists now,

remembering that a thousand promises for the future should weigh as naught against the possession of a single piece of silver.

His father captained a good vessel that was bartered for the land he once spoke of. He didnt remain in the calling of his education.

promises of your future weigh as zerio against a dollar money.... His father should have payed no mind to the oppertunity of promises of an empty future. No one can promise anything in the future.
;)
I have read this book and it was an inspiration for many great thinkers... Can someone else better explain this..

Sporkman
August 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM
taking it out of context since i have no idea what is the actual context of the paragraph.
"remembering that a thousand promises for the future should weigh as naught against the possession of a single piece of silver." - a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

+1

endotherm
August 24th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I was given this short book, and while reading through it, I stumble upon this paragraph...

I'm not sure how to interpret this.

Any thoughts or opinions?
bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

amazing that all of us came to the same colloquial summation.

Kmasi
August 24th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I dont believe that is what this means at all.. Wow this was posted nov 07, Have you read this book?

Elfy
August 24th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Nope - I've closed the thread though.