PDA

View Full Version : I found many bugs in Linux!

khurrum1990
November 30th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Hi, the problems r:
1.Linux never crashes.
2.Its super fast.
3.All applications work reliably.
4.System never freezes.
5.It never slows down.
6.There r no viruses and spyware.
7.I can do whatever I want to my system and it never stops me.
Is this a bug or a virus?

n3tfury
November 30th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Hi, the problems r:
1.Linux never crashes.
2.Its super fast.
4.System never freezes.
5.It never slows down.

oh brother.

butterball23
November 30th, 2007, 12:24 PM

No...Its a feature. :lolflag:

khurrum1990
November 30th, 2007, 12:29 PM
No...Its a feature. :lolflag:

Oh ok thanks...I was getting worried. Things were going too smoothly.:)

Eric the Grey
November 30th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Hi, the problems r:
1.Linux never crashes.
2.Its super fast.
4.System never freezes.
5.It never slows down.

You just haven't tried hard enough.

Me, I can lock up or kill any operating system. Just give me some time. :)

For the record, I've managed to freeze my Ubuntu (7.10) to the point where Alt+SysReq + R E I S U B didn't help. :lolflag:

:cool: Eric the Grey

regomodo
November 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM
don't think it'll stay like that forever. There are always bugs, you just haven't found them yet.

example: kubuntu's dolphin(file manager) has an option to encrypt a file yet doesn't have any app installed to do that (kgpg). ?

23meg
November 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM
And when you find them, file them (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug).

PrimoTurbo
November 30th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Hi, the problems r:
1.Linux never crashes.
2.Its super fast.
4.System never freezes.
5.It never slows down.

Why do people need to spread this over-hyped and not entirely true propaganda.

There are instances where Linux crashes, especially certain applications.

Some people feel that Linux is not that responsive compared to Windows.

There are many applications that have varying degrees of reliability. For example I often find that Firefox becomes unresponsive when changing themes.

I've had the system crash a few times.

While this might be true to some degree, there are certainly some viruses and spyware. I think linux users are sometimes targeted if they have a server running.

n3tfury
November 30th, 2007, 01:41 PM

There are many applications that have varying degrees of reliability. For example I often find that Firefox becomes unresponsive when changing themes.

While this might be true to some degree, there are certainly some viruses and spyware. I think linux users are sometimes targeted if they have a server running.

maybe people think there are such things as a perfect OS?

PrimoTurbo
November 30th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Perfect OS? There is no such thing and there will never be because the concept of perfection is made by humankind.

n3tfury
November 30th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Perfect OS? There is no such thing and there will never be because the concept of perfection is made by humankind.

i was being sarcastic. i know there will never be such thing. obviously the OP and other around here think different.

aysiu
November 30th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Hi, the problems r:
1.Linux never crashes.
2.Its super fast.
4.System never freezes.
5.It never slows down.
Is this a bug or a virus? Are you kidding me?

Apart from #6, which is arguably true, those statements are all wrong.

Linux can crash, especially the X server. It isn't necessarily super fast (it is if I use IceWM). All applications do not work reliably. The system sometimes does freeze. It can slow down. And it may do whatever you want, but Firefox on Linux seems to stop me from previewing images in the upload dialogue.

aysiu
November 30th, 2007, 06:06 PM
For the record, I've managed to freeze my Ubuntu (7.10) to the point where Alt+SysReq + R E I S U B didn't help. :lolflag: So have I.

Granted, I'm usually running something pretty system intensive or using more applications than my RAM can handle, but there should still be a way to kill runaway processes gracefully. If I get a CPU spike that makes it so that even the terminal itself is unresponsive, I can't exactly killall whatever is sucking up my CPU.

Desktop Linux is generally reliable, but it is not invincible or perfect. No OS is.

PmDematagoda
November 30th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I have used Linux only recently and yet I was very impressed with it (Especially considering the state my Windows XP copy was in).

But as aysiu said, it is not fully stable as I managed to lose my X-server about 5 times on Ubuntu 7.04 and right now my GNOME DE is inaccessible due to the fact that it is very unstable(Results of my "experiments") and is really slow, it takes about 20 minutes to completely start-up.

I can't say it is super fast as well since my heavily modified Ubuntu 7.04 takes about 3 minutes to get to the login screen as opposed to my new Ubuntu 7.10 installation that takes only a 30 seconds (I realise that their versions are different and that they do have differences in speed and stability) .

So, as aysiu said, no OS is perfect, has never been perfect and will not be perfect.

x0as
November 30th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Linux is normally stable if I leave it alone, most of the lockups I've had have been caused by me. Last one was swapping kbd_drv.so with Xorg running :lolflag:

atlfalcons866
November 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM
windows xp or vista are no where near stable compared to linux

conehead77
November 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Are you kidding me?

Apart from #6, which is arguably true, those statements are all wrong.

Linux can crash, especially the X server. It isn't necessarily super fast (it is if I use IceWM). All applications do not work reliably. The system sometimes does freeze. It can slow down. And it may do whatever you want, but Firefox on Linux seems to stop me from previewing images in the upload dialogue.
I had the same impression as the OP in the first weeks i used Ubuntu. It was stable and did what i wanted. But after half a year i must say i encountered several problems. Issues with sound, graphics and applications.
I dont use Ubuntu atm, because it crashes whenever i start a application (even the terminal).
The good thing is, a Linux user can always blame the drivers for problems ;)

Maybe ill write my story in Testimonials when i have the time, my problems seem a little odd and unusual (maybe even a hardware problem).

svtfmook
November 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM
perfection is subjective. i may think a crashing OS cluttered with useless junk running sluggish may be a perfect fit for me.

khurrum1990
November 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I am not saying Linux doesn't have bugs I was comparing it to other operating systems. I know there r many bugs in Linux.

stimpack
November 30th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I was so happy when I realized Linux was at the stage when I could use it full time. I think I myself posted a stupid post those years ago, because I had found my OS eden.

Way to slay someone.....

But to the OP: Firefox will make you curse your words, that bugger doesn't stop crashing for me :).

Nano Geek
November 30th, 2007, 06:59 PM

While this might be true to some degree, there are certainly some viruses and spyware. I think linux users are sometimes targeted if they have a server running.It was just a joke.

sujoy
November 30th, 2007, 07:00 PM
yup, infact firefox is a pain................and any 3D games that i installed from the add/remove section acts as if my processor is a 8085 with 32KB RAM!

happysmileman
November 30th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Well if you count an application crashing as the same as an OS crashing then of course it'll crash, but personally I only consider "Linux" to crash when I have to do more than close one program (Generally X/KDE is as far as it goes).

Unless you were referring to "certain applications" that are part of a standard install of Ubuntu/Debian/[generic distro], but it's hard to tell whether you meant that.

sujoy
November 30th, 2007, 07:03 PM
and one thing.........even though i am having a really hard time setting up my slacky just the way I want it (wireless still doesn't work)........it seems considerably smooth than Ubuntu

EDIT:
i mean Ubuntu is smooth in that it makes life easy and Slacky is smoother in that it runs the things smoothly althought configuring it is as painfull as it ever gets.......

aysiu
November 30th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Well if you count an application crashing as the same as an OS crashing then of course it'll crash, but personally I only consider "Linux" to crash when I have to do more than close one program (Generally X/KDE is as far as it goes).

Unless you were referring to "certain applications" that are part of a standard install of Ubuntu/Debian/[generic distro], but it's hard to tell whether you meant that.
No, I've actually had the whole OS crash, not just applications... to the point where I can't Control-Alt-F1, Control-Alt-Backspace, or even do the SysRq thing. Everything is totally unresponsive, and I have to force a shutdown with the shutdown button.

2cute4u
December 1st, 2007, 03:01 AM
So have I.

Granted, I'm usually running something pretty system intensive or using more applications than my RAM can handle, but there should still be a way to kill runaway processes gracefully. If I get a CPU spike that makes it so that even the terminal itself is unresponsive, I can't exactly killall whatever is sucking up my CPU.

Desktop Linux is generally reliable, but it is not invincible or perfect. No OS is.

Well maybe no OS is invincible, but I've gone 3 years without a crash in OS X, and the only time I've ever had to reboot my machine is when the installer tells me to reboot. (Of course now that I use ubuntu too, I'm rebooting every day switching back and forth, and ubuntu has crashed on me 4 times in the past month.)

aysiu
December 1st, 2007, 03:13 AM
Well maybe no OS is invincible, but I've gone 3 years without a crash in OS X, and the only time I've ever had to reboot my machine is when the installer tells me to reboot. (Of course now that I use ubuntu too, I'm rebooting every day switching back and forth, and ubuntu has crashed on me 4 times in the past month.)
Well crashes in Ubuntu don't happen for me very often, but they do happen. That was my only point.

I wasn't talking about the frequency, only the existence of crashes.

ruibernardo
December 1st, 2007, 03:24 AM
Hi, the problems r:
1.Linux never crashes.
2.Its super fast.
4.System never freezes.
5.It never slows down.
I found another bug! It's all free on both senses, money and freedom. :lolflag:

Lostincyberspace
December 1st, 2007, 05:02 AM
Hi, the problems r:
1.Linux never crashes.
2.Its super fast.
4.System never freezes.
5.It never slows down.

Give me five minutes and I can do all of those with ease.