PDA

View Full Version : What is the best thing you ever did with windows?

IISpII
November 30th, 2007, 04:17 AM
What is the best thing you have done or accomplished with windows?

mine is that i made a ubuntu cd

(please no saying that the is nothing that you accomplished with *******, c`mon there hast to be something.)

SunnyRabbiera
November 30th, 2007, 04:23 AM
got rid of it

;P

MRiGnS
November 30th, 2007, 04:24 AM
kindergarten.... :popcorn:

mouseboyx
November 30th, 2007, 04:24 AM
showed off to my friends how i can steal their software.

jflaker
November 30th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Wiped the disk it was installed on in favor of Linux!

-grubby
November 30th, 2007, 04:28 AM
use Firefox

LaRoza
November 30th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Made it faster and more usable than it is known for.

Whiffle
November 30th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Commander Keen

and I was a whiz with MS Publisher back in the day....now its all about LaTeX

science4sail
November 30th, 2007, 04:37 AM
format c:

Tlon
November 30th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Crysis.

klange
November 30th, 2007, 04:54 AM
You mean besides removing it?
Pandemic, my IM client, written in VB.Net (http://pandemicim.com) - but I ported it in various forms to Java [currently console only], Python [Tcl/Tk GUI], and am working on using Gambas [Basic] to make another full featured one again.

frup
November 30th, 2007, 05:23 AM
I know this is going to sound funny, but the best thing I ever did was install windows... not because that is good thing but because with that experience I wasn't scared to try linux.

The next best thing was using Netscape 6, it was crap but that led me to finding Mozilla, which in turn led to firefox. I saw the words Linux around occasionally and then began searching for it until one day the stars aligned correctly.

dekeller
November 30th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Put Ubuntu 7.04 over the top of it.

Darryl Keller

Dark Hornet
November 30th, 2007, 05:51 AM
--heavy gaming. I would love to do all of my gaming on my Ubuntu box, but right now I am unable to get some of the games I play working correctly under WINE---but, I am trying!:guitar:

santiagoward2000
November 30th, 2007, 06:17 AM
--heavy gaming. I would love to do all of my gaming on my Ubuntu box, but right now I am unable to get some of the games I play working correctly under WINE---but, I am trying!:guitar:

That makes 2 of us! The only game I could really get working with WINE is RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, I had problems with all other games I've tried...
I also set up my home wireless network, my modem is USB, and I'm too lazy to get it working in Ubuntu...

Celegorm
November 30th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Hmm, what was the best thing I ever did with windows? I can't say I learned to like or use computers with windows, because that all happened back in the DOS days. I can't say I discovered programming with windows either, because that was all DOS too. I did do some programming later in windows, but only with cygwin, or using putty to connect to a linux machine (the exception being the semester the teacher made us use eclipse... I really hate eclipse, TBH). I guess the second best thing I did with windows was discover the internet, and, as much as I hate to be a copycat, the best was to burn ubuntu to a cd.

niteshifter
November 30th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Installed cygwin so as to have a GNU/Linux environment.

toupeiro
November 30th, 2007, 10:48 AM
The two biggest which stand out to me are that I wrote my own application deployment framework using windows shell scripting, machine context execution and WMI calls and migrating Novell 4.11 to Active Directory 2003. I also migrated a near 100GB information store in Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 while remoted in from home and playing WoW, but that isn't really a part of windows... (This was also because I did a 1 day old mirror of our exchange environment in an off-network lab and ran through the migration procedure several times before doing it production. I'm not normally that confident in big Microsoft upgrades. lol.)

hessiess
November 30th, 2007, 11:26 AM
repalce it with ubuntu

billgoldberg
November 30th, 2007, 11:30 AM
That would have to be Age Of Empires II.

Gamed off line and with friends for hundred of hours!

Lost the cd, but know I'm thinking about it, i'll download it and see if I can get it running on gutsy.

mungy
November 30th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I published a magazine for a local charity using publisher for 12 months or so back in 98. From then on I spent time making fake photos with photoshop until I discovered Ubuntu in 2006.

Chemist
November 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM
played the orginal Duke Nukem on it

butterball23
November 30th, 2007, 12:19 PM
What is the best thing you ever did with windows?

*joke*
Formed my own botnet and conducted DDOS attacks on Microsoft sites! :D
*end joke*

Seriously?
I simply stopped using it.
(Windows 3.1 to Windows XP...I'm a long time user of Windows!)

Why?

(1) I discovered that every version of NT-based Windows has a fundamental security flaw that allows a "normal user" (Limited User) to gain Admin (root) privilages. The issue isn't solved in Vista, per say. Its merely addressed by *trying* to work around it...Look up "shatter attack" and you'll know what I mean.

(2) I realised, if you need to do anything useful with Windows, you have to spend money on third-party software. In Linux world, all the stuff you need is available and open. (which adds the benefit of flexibility, if you don't like the way things are being implemented).

My biggest regret in life is that I didn't try Linux earlier!

Nolander
November 30th, 2007, 12:24 PM
That makes 2 of us!
that make 3 of us, lol.

gn2
November 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Used it to find a wife. Thankyou Yahoo.

mozetti
November 30th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Made it faster and more usable than it is known for.

This for me. In fact, one (of the many) reason I wanted to switch to Linux is that I had gotten to the point that I could tweak XP in every possible manner for speed, efficiency, and organization. There wasn't anything left to do, as a non-programming computer enthusiast.

I love toying with my computer, and had rendered my system unusable on many occasions (in both Windows and Linux). For me, that's not a bad thing because I enjoy learning about it and fixing it, even when it meant "format c:" and re-install.

But, I had tweaked XP to the point of peak performance and there wasn't anything left me me to learn and do to improve on. So, my box became a XP/Breezy dual-boot. About 6 months later when I realized I hadn't booted into XP for months, I reclaimed that HDD space and installed XP in VMWare (now using VirtualBox).

Final point -- Compiz is what I'd been waiting for in an Desktop Environment for years. Back in the year 2000, I knew it should be possible to have that interface and I recognized the shell replacement software for XP was just a kludge, and hindered performance. So now here I am, finally realizing the vision I had for my PC(s) thanks to the wonderful people working on Linux, Ubuntu, X.org, and Compiz-Fusion. Hat's off to you all! :guitar:

master5o1
November 30th, 2007, 12:57 PM
1. Make this image: http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/iam5o1/pic1.jpg (paint)
2. Get rid of it.

n3tfury
November 30th, 2007, 01:28 PM
played some of the best games.