PDA

View Full Version : BASH: variables auto-round numbers to nearest whole!?

ryanVickers
November 30th, 2007, 12:49 AM
apparently, this command, which it is very crucial has the ability to use decimals, rounds everything to the nearest whole (1, 2, 3, etc.)
test_number=$(($prime_number/$current_number));

any idea of a better way to set the variable "test_number" to be the quotient of "prime_number" and "current_number"?

hod139
November 30th, 2007, 01:09 AM
There's no floating point math in bash. See FAQ 22 (http://wooledge.org:8000/BashFAQ#head-a0a7db50634591d972c13ac2b890f4f297c1fe74): http://wooledge.org:8000/BashFAQ

ryanVickers
November 30th, 2007, 01:38 AM
ok, I"ll see what I can do with that! :p

meatpan
November 30th, 2007, 03:07 AM
any idea of a better way to set the variable "test_number" to be the quotient of "prime_number" and "current_number"?

The 'bc' program is a useful calculator that is fairly easy to use in scripts. In the example above, I think you can achieve the desired behavior with:

test_number=$(echo scale=3\; $prime_number '/' $current_number | bc)

From the outside-in, the $(..) is for command substitution. You could also use backtiks, but they get confused with apostrophes on the forums ;)

The 'echo scale=3\;' is kind of ugly, but necessary so bc will print a decimal precision of 3. $prime_number '/' $current_number are operator/operands for bc. Everything is piped to bc. The return is saved in test_number.

Another solution is using an inline awk statement, which might be a better choice if your equation gets more complex (or you want to make sure $current_number != 0).

EDIT: The FAQ link posted by hod139 gives a *much* better explanation of what I have tried to say.

ryanVickers
November 30th, 2007, 06:17 PM
no, this post was much more useful, thanks :p
I couldn't make heads or tails of how to go about making the other thing work... lol

now it seems to *all* (as in, the line shown here...) be working, but the script an a whole isn't yet. :mad:
why is this incapable of noticing that test_number contains a decimal!!!???

if [[ $test_number =~ "." ]]; then

geirha
November 30th, 2007, 09:23 PM
An additional binary operator, =~, is available, with the same
precedence as == and !=. When it is used, the string to the
right of the operator is considered an extended regular expres‐
sion and matched accordingly (as in regex(3)).

In regex, "." matches any symbol, so as long as $test_number is not an empty string, it will evaluate to true. To match for a punctuation mark, you need to escape it with a backslash: "\."

$ [[ 12 =~ "." ]] && echo true || echo false
true
$ [[ 12.2 =~ "." ]] && echo true || echo false
true
$ [[ 12 =~ "\." ]] && echo true || echo false
false
$ [[ 12.2 =~ "\." ]] && echo true || echo false
true

ryanVickers
November 30th, 2007, 10:07 PM
now it just takes a lot of CPU and does nothing, which makes me think it's finding nothing as prime instead of everything...

sagarhshah
January 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM
test_number=$(echo scale=3\; $prime_number '/' $current_number | bc)

This was just what I was looking for my script thanks :D