PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

emkubed
November 29th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Hello there. I'm a network administrator based in Enid, OK and I use Ubuntu and Debian at home and at work.

I've been trying to decide how I can best contribute to the project and have been reviewing the info here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

So far Development (packaging/bug fixing) and Documentation interest me. I was curious if anyone on this Oklahoma-specific forum was currently actively contributing or if you were mainly users and enthusiasts.

I'm more of a forum goer than an IRC user (haven't used IRC since college in 1997), so I'm not sure if it's even worth the time to get involved in the forum, IRC and mailing list.

I suppose that's it for now. Time to dig into https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/GettingStarted

palintheus
November 30th, 2007, 04:30 AM
I think you are the only person really into MOTU stuff, most of us are users/enthusiasts.....although it would be great to have you on board, have you reviewed the sticky at the top of the sub forum?

emkubed
November 30th, 2007, 04:45 AM
I have, and I notice that http://www.ubuntuoklahoma.org/ returns a few errors like so:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_77c49725a49a2c225c59a5487f46b014, O_RDWR) failed: Read-only file system (30) in /home/sites/ubuntuoklahoma.org/htdocs/index.php on line 2

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/ubuntuoklahoma.org/htdocs/index.php:2) in /home/sites/ubuntuoklahoma.org/htdocs/index.php on line 2

Anything I can help with? I notice the host, friservices.com, has a similar issue. Do we need hosting assistance?

Looks like I need to get on launchpad before I can do much contribution-wise.

On another note, I notice one of the goals of the Oklahoma team is to "Advocate the use of Ubuntu throughout the state of Oklahoma". I've certainly spread the love around my department at work, and when I volunteer at the local Library, I provide Live CDs to those interested, though most of the class has much more basic computer literacy needs. I'm trying though. The library was basically ruined in a storm a while ago and they're trying to decide how best to replace it. I'm trying to put my $0.02 in and get some Linux in the door, but we'll see.

palintheus
November 30th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Yeah, romey, our web guy is always busy, at least now any way, we could sure use some hosting, but I don't want to step on his toes.

Thats awesome that you are spreading Ubuntu, I haven't had the chance to do this much this year...long story, hop in IRC and I will share ;)

You could suggest using edubuntu thin clients :)

emkubed
November 30th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I certainly wouldn't want to step on any toes. I have a colo'd server in a datacenter available if it could be useful.

I'm going to try and speak with one of our commissioners about the library situation soon. I even have hardware I could donate if they'd let me, and maybe now, with the basic destruction of the place, odds would be better to get something like that in the door. I'll let you know how it goes.