PDA

View Full Version : How many languages do you speak? (not programming languages)

-grubby
November 29th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I am asking you how many languages you speak, that is, not programming languages
EDIT: oh yah, could you please post what languages you speak? I speak english though I wish to learn another

cyclefiend2000
November 29th, 2007, 04:20 PM
i know a little italian, but not even close to enough to consider myself fluent. i would love to be though. just wish i had more opportunity to practice and learn.

Snowcat
November 29th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I'm fluent in two - English and my native Hebrew. I could at one time also communicate in very bad Spanish, though I have mostly forgotten everything.

jfinkels
November 29th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I speak...the language of loooove.

hetbeest
November 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Me too, and apart from that Dutch, English, German, a little French, some words Chinese, Turkish and Farsi.

No, I'm not showing of, I'm just Dutch. Here it's common to address foreigners in their language. Maybe that's because we're polite, maybe we're showoffs after all :lolflag:

Evert

Kingsley
November 29th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I speak English fluently.
Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.
M na su Igbo ntakiri.

prodigalson666
November 29th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I'm fom Canada so I speak english and francais

p_quarles
November 29th, 2007, 04:38 PM
English (native language) and French (a little rusty, though).

azkehmm
November 29th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Danish, English and german.

Cochise
November 29th, 2007, 04:56 PM
english & irish

sisco311
November 29th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Hungarian, Romanian and English. A little German and Italian.

FurryNemesis
November 29th, 2007, 04:59 PM
English and French.

Vixis
November 29th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Russian, Latvian and English.

steefjeqv
November 29th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Hi,

My native language is Dutch.
I also speak the two other languages used in Belgium : French and German.

As I'm posting this message in English, that makes four languages.

Greetings,
Steven

mellowd
November 29th, 2007, 05:12 PM
English and Afrikaans. I can also understand a lot of Dutch and Flemmish. A little bit of German too. Trying to learn Hungarian

Darkhack
November 29th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Reminds me of a joke. If someone who speaks three languages is trilingual and someone who speaks two languages is bilingual. What do you call someone who speaks only one language?

American. ^_^ I'm from the States myself, so I only speak English. I have no reason to learn another language. I live in the Kansas City area so I'm far enough from the Mexican border to where we don't get a lot of people who only speak Spanish. All of my Mexican friends speak beautiful English, including the ones who've only been here a few years. They learned English very fast and speak it very well.

I have a question for non-native English speakers though. Was English difficult to learn compared to other languages? I'm a native speaker, but I've always thought that English is an extremely complicated language and we have a lot of exceptions to the "rules" and the overall structure seems almost like you need to learn it by wrote memorization. Not having gender assigned to our nouns is very nice, but other things seem somewhat silly. For example, "was" and "were". One is singular and one is plural but we still say "you were" even when speaking to one person. There are other little oddities like that, but that's the only one I could come up with off the top of my head. So is English difficult to learn?

meep_meep
November 29th, 2007, 05:16 PM
English and French and learning spanish :P

thelatinist
November 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I am a native English speaker and I have a couple of years of German (it is very rusty, but I can usually read with no problems). I also read and write Latin and ancient Greek, both of which I currently teach.

bapoumba
November 29th, 2007, 05:23 PM
French (native) and English (I lived and worked in the US for more than 3 years after I graduated).

Lostincyberspace
November 29th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I speak English and some German, enough to travel comfortably.

Lostincyberspace
November 29th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I have a question for non-native English speakers though. Was English difficult to learn compared to other languages? I'm a native speaker, but I've always thought that English is an extremely complicated language and we have a lot of exceptions to the "rules" and the overall structure seems almost like you need to learn it by wrote memorization. Not having gender assigned to our nouns is very nice, but other things seem somewhat silly. For example, "was" and "were". One is singular and one is plural but we still say "you were" even when speaking to one person. There are other little oddities like that, but that's the only one I could come up with off the top of my head. So is English difficult to learn?

"Were" is also past tense, another little intricacy of English.

quinnten83
November 29th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I speak my native papiamentu, which is the language spoken in the lowerwind island of the netherland antilles and Aruba. note, i speak papiamentu, papiamento, spoken on aruba is a slightly different accent/ dialect.
also speak spanish, dutch, and of course english.
I speak a horrid french, if prodded enough, and have ben able to ask for direction and on occasion have even been able to express fondness in italian.
:lolflag:

popch
November 29th, 2007, 05:48 PM
German and a bit French. Understand some Italian. Used to read and write Latin and ancient Greek, but that feels as if I did that when those folks were still alive, it's so long ago.

I found English not difficult to learn. At first, however, the English had difficulty with their own language when spoken by me.

ShodanjoDM
November 29th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Indonesian and English plus a little bit Dutch.

@ Darkhack: Personally, I found English to be a lot easier to learn compared to, say, Dutch or French. For the last few years in here, even first year schoolchildren are learning English in their classes.

Lster
November 29th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I only know one language: French!

Oh wait... I'm speaking English! ;)

aysiu
November 29th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Stereotypical American here: I speak only English fluently.

PmDematagoda
November 29th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I speak English very fluently but I simply fail in trying to speak or comprehend my own mother tongue which is Singhalese.:(

I did try and learn a little French but I gave up on that.

So I'm a Singhalese with a British tongue:-P.

orange2k
November 29th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Croatian, german and a little english...

Lster
November 29th, 2007, 05:59 PM

I'm sorry to say that is me. But on the plus side, I don't travel much so I doubt it would really benefit me learning a language.

ubuntu27
November 29th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I speak (read&write) English, Spanish, and Japanese fluently :)

rune0077
November 29th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Danish (my native tongue) and English.

FuturePilot
November 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM
1, English
However I do know a good bit of Italian

jviscosi
November 29th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Typical American -- I just speak English. (You would think I could speak Spanish after three years of it in school and five years living in San Diego, but not so much.)

popch
November 29th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Typical American -- I just speak English. (You would think I could speak Spanish after three years of it in school and five years living in San Diego, but not so much.)

I don't think that there is a good correlation between number of years spent learning a language at school and skills achieved in using that language.

I took lessons in French during 7 years and can but speak haltingly. I learned reading English by myself and spent later ten weeks in Englang and could converse in English quite fluently after that.

gvoima
November 29th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Fluent finnish (native), swedish and english. Then some german :)

herbster
November 29th, 2007, 06:18 PM
English, Punjabi and about 80% Spanish.

Macchi
November 29th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Five European languages: Fluent English, Swedish and Portuguese in addition to Spanish and Italian.

rax_m
November 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM
English, Afrikaans and Gujerati

mali2297
November 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Reminds me of a joke. If someone who speaks three languages is trilingual and someone who speaks two languages is bilingual. What do you call someone who speaks only one language?

Monolingual or unilingual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolingual). I don't get the joke though. :-s

The spelling makes no sense, it doesn't help that you have British English, American English and what else. Otherwise, it is a fairly easy language. The grammar isn't difficult if you compare with German (the only other non-native language that I've tried to learn).

To answer the question in the thread title: 2½. (Swedish, English and Ger..)

Nano Geek
November 29th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I speak English and I am in the process of learning Spanish.

alwiap
November 29th, 2007, 06:51 PM
i speak english and spanish nearly fluently

Dimitriid
November 29th, 2007, 06:55 PM
English and Spanish fluently, enough to carry "business conversations" whatever that means, on practical terms I can live a day to day life on any Spanish or English speaking country.

Im looking into taking French lessons or otherwise learning French.

nickeZ
November 29th, 2007, 07:07 PM
swedish and english :D

achron
November 29th, 2007, 07:12 PM
For example, "was" and "were". One is singular and one is plural but we still say "you were" even when speaking to one person. There are other little oddities like that, but that's the only one I could come up with off the top of my head. So is English difficult to learn?

Hmm... that's not uniquely English... understanding pronouns and conjugations is the meat and potatoes, or the sausage and kraut, or the <insert ethnic food pair here> of almost any language.

French uses 'vous' for both singular and plural cases. It also has 'tu' for 'special cases'. Use the wrong one, and it's a major gaff. So all languages have their idiosyncrasies.

With my friends from different countries, I find myself spending more time explaining the differences between homonyms than anything else, where the actual word used is implied by the context of the surrounding statement. Often humorous, sometimes disastrous mistakes have been made.

Even native English speakers have issues there... try affect and effect? I see those confused and misused in writing all the time, perhaps because I work with largely software engineers.

Oh, and put me down for two and two halves (English, French, German, Russian).

p_quarles
November 29th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Even native English speakers have issues there... try affect and effect? I see those confused and misused in writing all the time, perhaps because I work with largely software engineers.
No, it's definitely not just software engineers. I've spent a lot of time teaching college composition courses, and I'm convinced that many people deliberately confuse those two. :)

And then there's led (p.p. of the verb "lead") and lead (a mineral). Just about everyone gets that wrong.

Darkhack
November 29th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Monolingual or unilingual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolingual). I don't get the joke though. :-s

Americans are known for being lazy and only speaking one language (English), while most of the world speaks two or three languages and when trying to speak to someone who doesn't speak English, we somehow think that talking louder and slower will make them understand. Europeans probably speaks the most number of languages because all those different countries are so small and close together.

staticvoid
November 29th, 2007, 07:24 PM
spanish

roachk71
November 29th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Fluent in English, I can also speak some German, Latin American Spanish, Japanese, and Russian. And although it is a constructed language, Klingon.

wheredidrealitygo
November 29th, 2007, 07:49 PM
English, French, and I remember most of my Spanish courses, it's really similar to French.

dbbolton
November 29th, 2007, 07:51 PM
English is my mother tongue. I had 3 years of Spanish and 3 of French in high school. I taught myself German over the last couple years, and I'm still studying it and French in college. I've learned some Latin (mostly to aid my learning German declension), and I just started learning Swedish.

Dirty Ole
November 29th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Hindi and English.

Dragonbite
November 29th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Does gibberish count? :lolflag:

Only English, and enough Spanish to get me out of High School (many moons ago...)

samwyse
November 29th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Finnish, English, Swedish, a little German.

I'll vote three, because my German vocabulary is quite limited.

guillelo11
November 29th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I speak spanish, english and german

Lord_Dicranius
November 29th, 2007, 08:47 PM
English only :( And like Dragonbite, enough spanish to get me out of high school lol Although, I do have plans to learn spanish, mandarin, and russian, I just need to get motivated enough to sit down and learn them heh

Zipster90
November 29th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I speak English, and I'm a horrible Spanish speaker.

DeusEx
November 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Me too, and apart from that Dutch, English, German, a little French, some words Chinese, Turkish and Farsi.

No, I'm not showing of, I'm just Dutch. Here it's common to address foreigners in their language. Maybe that's because we're polite, maybe we're showoffs after all :lolflag:

Evert

Dutch, Frysian, English, French, German and a little Japanese and Italian ;)

dmf86
November 29th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Portuguese, English, Italian, French and Spanish. :)

jken146
November 29th, 2007, 09:01 PM
English and French

Thyme
November 29th, 2007, 09:03 PM
English and Afrikaans.

kodoku
November 29th, 2007, 09:29 PM
English and Mandarin Chinese fluently. I've taken French for 4 years and am now learning Japanese. I can speak the latter two at elementary levels.

pjkoczan
November 29th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Hablo un poquito de Español. Tomé unas clases cuando fui un estudiante en la universidad de Wisconsin-Madison. Pero, no recuerdo muchas palabras, por eso no lo hablo fluentemente. También, hablo el Inglés muy bien, porque el Inglés es mi idioma nativo.

(I speak a little Spanish. I took a few classes when I was a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. But, I don't remember many words, so I don't speak fluently. Also, I speak English very well, because English is my native language).

Roberticus
November 29th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Swedish as my main language.
Fluent Finnish, cause I live in Finland...
and fluent English, thanks to TV, Internet and school to finish it up
Have taken French lessons, but don't remember anything anymore...

odiseo77
November 29th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Spanish (obviously, it's my native language), English -very fluently, I think, though I have learned it mostly by reading, so I don't understand it very well when watching films and such... btw, once a friend introduced me two friends of her from New York and I couldn't understand a single word because they talked too fast for me (is it just me or the people from New York speak too fast? :-?).
I also speak a bit of Italian; used to speak it acceptably well some years ago, but I forgot like 70% of it because of lack of use.

(I voted '3' languages, but I must have voted 2 and a half, so I cheated :mrgreen:)

@ pjkoczan: Tu español es muy bueno ;)

Greetings.

user1397
November 29th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I am fluent in English.
Sé hablar fluido en español también.

spacegypsy
November 29th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Nederlands, Français and English

GepettoBR
November 29th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I speak Portuguese and English, and a very very small bit of German, not enough to tick the "3" box.

toupeiro
November 29th, 2007, 10:33 PM
English
Spanish
Portuguese

tech9
November 29th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I am asking you how many languages you speak, that is, not programming languages
EDIT: oh yah, could you please post what languages you speak? I speak english though I wish to learn another

English, German, Spanish

pjkoczan
November 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM
@ pjkoczan: Tu español es muy bueno ;)

Muchas gracias, pero usé un diccionario para sobre ocho palabras.

aaaantoine
November 29th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I put down 1. I only speak English fluently. However, I do comprehend Spanish to some degree (virtually every product sold in America has both English and Spanish labels).

-grubby
November 30th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I'm surprised so many people speak more than 1 language! (I guess, around here, almost everyone only speaks english

Billy_McBong
November 30th, 2007, 12:35 AM
i speak English
et latina dico

oldb0y
November 30th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Norwegian(my native language)
Swedish and Danish(sort of similar to norwegian)
English

Irihapeti
November 30th, 2007, 01:29 AM
I speak English (my native language). I was able at different times in the past to have a reasonable conversation in German or Spanish - pretty jolly rusty now, though. Also I learned French for 6 years and can still use instructions in French if I need to (e.g. a calculator that had lost its English instruction book); and Italian for one year, aeons ago.

E taea e au te kōrero te reo Māori, engari he iti anake tāku kōrero.
[I can speak Māori, but only a little.] It's the language I'm currently studying, and I'm fortunate enough to know some native speakers.

mysticrider92
November 30th, 2007, 01:31 AM

Hehe.. Same here.

I am trying to learn German, and I might eventually get around to learning something else...

Casual Fan
November 30th, 2007, 01:33 AM
English with some college-level German under my belt.

Auf wiedersehen!

jpittack
November 30th, 2007, 01:36 AM
english with high school spanish background. I can't do anything with a verb anymore. Just objects and ?donde esta el bano?, the most important thing you can ever ask.

Olav
November 30th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Dutch, English, German, French - in that order.

DrOlaf
November 30th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Javascript and Klingon :)

Actually: English, French (tolerably well), German (embarrassingly badly).

And I had an Italian girlfriend once who taught me one or two phrases, but I can't repeat them here.

Lostincyberspace
November 30th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Javascript and Klingon :)

Actually: English, French (tolerably well), German (embarrassingly badly).

And I had an Italian girlfriend once who taught me one or two phrases, but I can't repeat them here.

Just had to say it White (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw) and Nerdy.

fedex1993
November 30th, 2007, 02:30 AM
umm i speak english and i think most people do but right now i am learning german in HS and our school is going to germany next next summer which will be good for me and my german friends that are in the german class

talbain
November 30th, 2007, 02:57 AM
I can say i speak 7+ languages 'cos i just know how to say "hello" in 15 other languages, but honestly, to me, that doesn't count, it's meaningless.

Still, just to be fair, i chose 3 (Just the ones i'm fluent [or so i believe] in):

Spanish: Native
English
Japanese

tagbre
November 30th, 2007, 03:18 AM
My language is spanish, I can speak english, german and french as well. A little hebrew, a little catalan and I'm starting to learn esperanto. :)

frup
November 30th, 2007, 03:47 AM
The only language I am in fluent in is English.

Funnily enough I spoke Swiss German for the first 7 years of my life (Mother Tongue). After moving to New Zealand though I slowly forgot it. I can get around, but I can't really hold a conversation. I understand more than I think I am able to often though... getting the gist of a lot of communication.

Did a few weeks of spanish in intermediate school, all I can remember now is mucho gracias and commo estas... We learnt a lot in a short period (I think the teacher may have been very effective) but because it was only a 6 week program and there is not exactly much opportunity to speak anything but English in New Zealand it waned.

I did 2 years of French at high school but that is drying up faster than a puddle in a desert... My ears don't have a big appetite for the sound of French.

I learnt a bit of Hindi from work mates a few years ago but apart from asking "what is his name" and saying "you look beautiful" or something my vocabulary is limited to swear words now.

I probably know at least 20 words of Maori, as a kid I learnt more in school and if I actually sat down and thought about it I would probably be pleasantly surprised with the amount of words I know but most of the words common are either so commonly known by all New Zealanders or full on incorporated in to New Zealand English.

From my last experience travelling through Europe I know that when I travel to other countries I will always make sure I get the basics of language first though, In the Germanic parts of Switzerland I was comfortable enough, and in the French parts too (My younger brother did 4 years of french too, although being a lot more shy, I was left doing most communication :S ) Upon travelling down to Ticino and onwards to Rome though the most uncomfortable feelings surrounded me any time we walked in to a shop. Luckily many people speak English or I probably would have gotten severely lost :P

DrOlaf
November 30th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Just had to say it White (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw) and Nerdy.

I knew that someone here would get that :)

TrailerTrash
November 30th, 2007, 04:44 AM
My parents are German, but i was born in America and know just a little German. I only speak American/English 99.99% of the time. I need to learn Spanish though. :(

Lostincyberspace
November 30th, 2007, 04:45 AM
I knew that someone here would get that :)

Most Americans would.

teryowen
November 30th, 2007, 04:48 AM
English
Russian
Hebrew
i can understand/speak french if spoken slowly

nikoPSK
November 30th, 2007, 04:48 AM
english, frech, german, hungarian

nikoPSK
November 30th, 2007, 04:49 AM
and hopefully kmher soon. And japanese.

BWF89
November 30th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Just one.

I tried taking a year of Latin. But it was really boring and I didn't learn more than a few words.

The only way I'd ever learn another language was if I had to move to another country.

yabbadabbadont
November 30th, 2007, 05:47 AM
One. (guess which one it is... ;))

But more importantly, I can order beer and ask for the location of the restroom in multiple languages. :D

popch
November 30th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Upon travelling down to Ticino and onwards to Rome though the most uncomfortable feelings surrounded me any time we walked in to a shop. Luckily many people speak English or I probably would have gotten severely lost :P

In Ticino and northern Italy, you could have done very well with German or even Swiss German. Only pride prevents me from speaking German whenever I am there.

headflux
November 30th, 2007, 09:41 AM
English & French

mungy
November 30th, 2007, 11:31 AM
fluent in english. I did know a few words or phrases in French, German, Spanish, Italian, Latin, Chinese and Welsh, though I have forgotten most of them through lack of use.

Znort_Ubern00b
November 30th, 2007, 11:34 AM
english (although I'm welsh(would love to learn that))

french (fairl well not spoken properly for 13 yrs)
spanish (same as french)
russian(well rusty but can still say bits and bobs)
also speak a really little bit of german and catonese
can say i love you in about 13 languages..which can help sometimes lol :D

billgoldberg
November 30th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Being Flemmish I speak 4 languages.

- Dutch/Flemmish (mothertongue)
- French (fairly good)
- English (pretty good) (Happy I live in Belgium, the tv shows have subtitles unlike in France and Germany, so you start learning english the same time you can read :p)
- German (a bit rusty, but i can manage myself)

Magnes
November 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Only Polish (native) and English (rusty, I read and listen much in English but don't have the opportunity to speak) and also a local dialect from my region of Poland ;).

regomodo
November 30th, 2007, 01:28 PM
i put down 3. I learnt a little french and german a few years back but i've totally forgotten it all. Especially the structure of german

Griffiss
November 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Fluent in Welsh (yes, some of us actually can speak it!) and English.

Fairly good: French, basic to middling: Italian, Spanish, and Mandarin Chinese. Ting hao!

finferflu
November 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Native Italian and English.

RebounD11
November 30th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I speak Romanian (mother tongue), English and French (both fluent). I understand a little Italian and Hungarian but I will never go so far as to speak them because I can't pronounce anything right I only know a limited number of words... I can understand them from the context :D (sort of the same as the programming languages I "speak" and understand).

dashnak
November 30th, 2007, 02:18 PM
My mother tongue is spanish. I also speak english and some german. Not really fluent in german but enough to move around and ask for things and make small talk and getting my girlfriend to a hospital while we were in nürnberg. I also have started working on esperanto, and intend to learn portuguese as well.

ukripper
November 30th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Fluent in English, hindi, Punjabi and German

ukripper
November 30th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I speak...the language of loooove.

you mean Java?:lolflag: Platform independent!

feisty
November 30th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Arabic, English, German und French

bobbocanfly
November 30th, 2007, 03:22 PM
English
Have a bit of really basic french (Can introduce myself etc but thats about it)

Really jealous of people that can switch between two or more languages they are just cool.

i wish i could learn Swedish.

stoodleysnow
November 30th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Besides English (proper Yorkshire English :-D), I know some French (enough to stumble around France for a while with), and a bit of German (enough to stumble into Germany and back out again without doing much)
Besides this I know a few words in Gaelic (Scots and Welsh) and Hello and yes in a few more languages. :rolleyes:
I put 2 languages into the vote thing, as the fragments of French, German etc probably add up to one more :lolflag: besides ee bah gum.

OffHand
November 30th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Fluent Dutch (my native laguage) and fluent English :D

macogw
November 30th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I speak English and enough Spanish and Japanese to carry on a conversation (just somewhat slowly). I've studied Russian, but I don't know enough to say I know it. I'm learning a bit of sign language too, but that's not exactly a language you "speak" per sé.

One of my friends from Japanese class is dating a Russian boy. I speak Russian to him and Japanese to her, and they speak English to each other.

macogw
November 30th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Fluent in Welsh (yes, some of us actually can speak it!)

*spit*swish*hack**spit*

^ what Welsh sounds like :P I'm not spitty enough to say full sentences in Welsh.

ukripper
November 30th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I speak English and enough Spanish and Japanese to carry on a conversation (just somewhat slowly). I've studied Russian, but I don't know enough to say I know it. I'm learning a bit of sign language too, but that's not exactly a language you "speak" per sé.

One of my friends from Japanese class is dating a Russian boy. I speak Russian to him and Japanese to her, and they speak English to each other.

Sometimes i hate being a translator

macogw
November 30th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Sometimes i hate being a translator

Huh? I'm not translating between them. Just for the hell of it, we have trilingual conversations.

ahaslam
November 30th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Only English here. I can order a beer & throw the odd insult in a couple of other tongues though ;)

Erik Trybom
November 30th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Three, I'd say. Swedish and English fluently, Spanish enough to make myself understood. I've also studied a bit of German but nowhere near enough to actually engage in a useful conversation. It suffices for reading easy stuff though.

Once you know Swedish/German/etc it's pretty easy to understand languages such as Norwegian, Danish and even Dutch. Same goes for Spanish/Italian/Portuguese/etc. As long as it's written, you can often figure out the general idea of a text. Listening and speaking are totally different things though.

I'd like to live abroad for a while so I could learn to really master another language.

ukripper
November 30th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Huh? I'm not translating between them. Just for the hell of it, we have trilingual conversations.

Wasn't pointing out at you just speaking generally as i have to translate many times

nikoPSK
November 30th, 2007, 07:37 PM
hey, macogw, how do you have the cups and the ubu logos? Just asking;)

diskotek
November 30th, 2007, 07:40 PM
turkish (native), english, greek, and i can offer coffee & buy train tickets in german :)

Mithrilhall
November 30th, 2007, 08:17 PM
English and the language of love :lolflag:

LowSky
November 30th, 2007, 08:29 PM
My native language is English, I learned Spanish and French in school, but I'm no way fluent especially the latter. I can understand some Russian, Ukrainian, and Armenian only because of many of my friends have parents from those countries.

jviscosi
November 30th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I don't think that there is a good correlation between number of years spent learning a language at school and skills achieved in using that language.

I took lessons in French during 7 years and can but speak haltingly. I learned reading English by myself and spent later ten weeks in Englang and could converse in English quite fluently after that.

I think you're right, you have to actually be using the language to communicate.

sikes
November 30th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I would say one, as I have only a preschooler's understanding of Japanese.

Working on it though. Studying grammar and kanji in my freetime.

matthew
November 30th, 2007, 11:52 PM
These have varying levels of fluency, but I know enough of each of them to consider myself to have at least a base level of ability...I can get around, take care of personal needs, and have a typical, casual conversation in all of them. These are listed in order of fluency, so obviously I'm best at the first two.

English
Moroccan Arabic (Darija)
Spanish
French
Modern Standard Arabic (Fousha)

If we wanted to walk down that path, I could also list music, since I play multiple instruments. We could also include a basic understanding of 4 or 5 programming languages, but I freely admit I am not a programmer and I know the original poll/post requested they not be included.

adelgado
December 3rd, 2007, 02:33 AM
Portuguese and French as 'native tongues'.

Apart from that, English and Esperanto.

I can maintain a conversation in Spanish quite easily.

So I voted 5.

meindian523
December 23rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
English and Hindi

klange
December 23rd, 2007, 05:40 PM
I took three years of Spanish in high school, but all I can do is yell at someone and tell them to move faster (which is useful in crowd of Mexicans, but that's a position I've never found myself in) and ask where the bathroom is.

Also, the title of this topic is unfair. You're excluding people like me who fluently speak Python.:lolflag:

fatality_uk
December 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
English, Polish (Badly), German and a bit of French, a tiny bit of all really. Enough to order beer, cigs and a room for the night :)

JurB
December 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
Fluently: Dutch (native), French and English
I understand and speak basic German and Spanish.

stijngysemans
December 23rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
i voted 4 languages: dutch, english, french and german. I learned german and french when I studied abroad. English is actually my worst langauge :lolflag:

I'm learning turkish, a nice language!

hoagie
December 23rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
English
Francais
Νέα Ελληνικά (Modern Greek)
Αρχαία Ελληνικά (Ancient Greek) not really good at them

Tmi
December 24th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Swedish (main language), finnish, english and a tad german.

orange2k
December 24th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Swedish (main language), finnish, english and a tad german.

Its not quite clear to me how an old Hogar could understand other people without outside help...
Now I know, it is the art of hacking...

Some day I will learn: I have set my goal: in ten years from now I will be a h4ck3r...

emil.s
December 24th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Swedish as native language. English (as you see ;)), and some german in shool.

But because swedish and norwegian is very simlar, i count it to.
And then they speak Swedish in Finnland as well.

But maybe i will have a try with Finnish later. First i have a lot of Finnish relatives there, and who don't want to speak the same language as the God, the master, and the creator of everything! :guitar:

orange2k
December 24th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I dont know if any of you insltalled Zekr or not, it is da future to know all of the languages some times...
H4ck04z do that all the timez...

Redache
December 24th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Fluent in Welsh and English. I also have very basic German, I need to really give myself a kick up the **** and become fluent in it

jfank
December 24th, 2007, 05:02 AM
I speak English. I know a few words in Spanish, and 1 Italian word. There is a Chinese restarunat down the street form me, and I'm pretty good friends with a few of the people that work there, and they all told me they would be glad to teach me Chinese language. They did tell me it would be hard to learn though, so we will just have to see what happens, but I basically just speak one language and it sucks.

GepettoBR
December 24th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I speak English. I know a few words in Spanish, and 1 Italian word. There is a Chinese restarunat down the street form me, and I'm pretty good friends with a few of the people that work there, and they all told me they would be glad to teach me Chinese language. They did tell me it would be hard to learn though, so we will just have to see what happens, but I basically just speak one language and it sucks.

Well, only one language maybe, but it looks like your future prospects are quite on the plus side.

Ranhiru
December 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I speak English and my mother tongue Sinhalese.

Clarke
December 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Russian
English
German

tylerspaska
January 6th, 2008, 11:03 AM
native English. also, Finnish and enough Swedish to get by. I can read Egyptian, but the poll asks what i can speak...

ReiKn
January 6th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Native finnish, fluent english and french, some swedish

Samhain13
January 6th, 2008, 03:37 PM
English, two Filipino languages, some Spanish and some German. :)

roaldz
January 6th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Dutch is my native language, and I speak English, German and Twents:D (Twents is my dialect).

Roald

felin
January 6th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Cymraeg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_language) (Welsh) is my native language, and I speak English.

Techwiz
January 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM
English and French.

Q_PG_S
January 10th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Arabic ( native language ) and I speak English fluently

hyper_ch
January 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM
(Swiss-German)
German
French
Italian
English
Spanish
Latin

bomanizer
January 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM
1. Finnish (native)
2. English
3. Swedish
4. Very modest skills in Germany (not listed in the vote)

xyz
January 10th, 2008, 12:33 PM
English - French - German and Swiss German to a lesser degree - Music.

My Italian and Spanish get better and better all the time....the more I drink!...unless it's the people I talk to then that understand any gobbledygook when they are drunk!!!Who knows?

NovaAesa
January 10th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Only English. Geez, I feel uneducated. But then again, I consider myself to be very good with English i.e. I have a very good vocabulary and pride myself on being a grammar Nazi.

EDIT: I can say hello in a few other languages (Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, and a few Aboriginal languages), but I don't think that really counts

Gigamo
January 10th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I speak Dutch (native tongue), English and French, and a little German.

xyz
January 10th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Only English. Geez, I feel uneducated. But then again, I consider myself to be very good with English i.e. I have a very good vocabulary and pride myself on being a grammar Nazi.

EDIT: I can say hello in a few other languages (Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, and a few Aboriginal languages), but I don't think that really counts

Don't take this bad; I'm just curious!

...pride myself on being a grammar Nazi.

Has the word in bold become,say, "popular" in your part of the world to descibe something one is REALLY into? It makes it sound "cool" and "positive".

See...I don't think that Europe would use it that way. Like I said, just curious...no flames,no war. Thnx.

NovaAesa
January 10th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Has the word in bold become,say, "popular" in your part of the world to descibe something one is REALLY into? It makes it sound "cool" and "positive".

In Australia, Nazi is used to describe something where the person is very strict/demanding/unforgiving/ruthless (sorry to any Germans this may offend) et cetera. It's not really positive, but it's not by any means negative either. I'm proud to be a grammar Nazi because it shows that I know the rules of English very well.

Just curious, what does Nazi mean in the European context?

xyz
January 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Well for a start, I'll let you type the word in Google....

Sorry to the other posters, this is OFF topic!

loshadsivaja
January 10th, 2008, 02:10 PM
German and Russian (native)

NovaAesa
January 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Well for a start, I'll let you type the word in Google....

Sorry to the other posters, this is OFF topic!

So I guess it would be negative then. I know all about the Nazi regime and their crimes against Jews and all that. Still, it's interesting to note that certain words have different meanings and connotations in different parts of the world.

popch
January 10th, 2008, 02:50 PM
So I guess it would be negative then. I know all about the Nazi regime and their crimes against Jews and all that. Still, it's interesting to note that certain words have different meanings and connotations in different parts of the world.

Not to worry, though.

There used to be a Swiss newspaper called the 'Nationalzeitung' which is just German for 'National Newspaper'. It used to have a supplement for children and youths. As its title in English you could have expected it to be called 'little National' or some such. What they did call it was 'Dr Glai Nazi' what's Swiss German for 'Der Kleine Nazi' what's German for 'The Little Nazi'.

They upheld that children's supplements title even during WW II, when every one took the word 'Nazi' to mean Hitler's party and its thugs.

xyz
January 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I just think it's the other parts of the world's responsability to be aware of the origin of words they tend to use in a light way.

Of all the English words in the dictionary, no other could describe what you meant to say in your part of the world.

I mean we aren't even allowed to fully spell out the s+** word on ubuntuforums and ...I use darn instead of d+**!

Well enough of it. Thank you for your understanding.

fuscia
January 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
i only speak english. if i'm pretty familiar with the subject, i can struggle with reading french, german and italian. being a singer, i have sung in those four languages and latin, russian, spanish, czech, armenian, finnish, hebrew and portuguese. some of the time, though, i had absolutely no clue what i was saying, other than being generally happy or generally sad. i love singing in portuguese and love the sound of the language. if i had any kind of work ethic, i would bother to learn it.

Visti
January 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I speak my native language, Danish, English and Spanish. I understand the Scandiavian languages and German, but I can't speak them very fluently.

gupta_sumesh63
January 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM
English, native Indian language Hindi, Punjabi, Marathi, telugu and a bit of Russian and Sanskrit. Thats me.:)

Fixman
January 10th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I'm fluent speaking Spanish (native language), English, Italian and Hebrew. I marked these four, but I also know a little of Portuguese, French, Gaelic, Russian, German, and Im trying to get my way into Chinese. Hell its a complicated language.

Masoris
May 28th, 2008, 02:15 PM
My first language is Korean. So I can speak Korean language. Although I also can read, write and listening English, Esperanto and Japanese. I cannot speak those languages well, because I had very few chance to speak on those languages.

So the answer of How many languages do you speak, will be ONE language; Korean.

karellen
May 28th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Romanian is my native language, I'm fluent in English, I know some French (thought I understand much better than I can speak) and very little German

SupaSonic
May 28th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Russian, English, Estonian. All fluent.

I understand German and a bit of Latvian.

Bigtime_Scrub
May 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I speak English, Spanish, and Japanese fluently.

I can get by in French, Italian, Portuguese, Greek, Latin, and a little bit of Korean.

G|N|
May 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Dutch
English
French
Italian

sebbouckaert
May 28th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Native Dutch (Flemish actually, the Belgian variant of Dutch but the same in writing)

English

French

Some German

...all languages of our neighbouring countries - Belgium is soooo tiny :)

edit: hi G|N|, another one from Turnhout here :-)

JAwuku
September 9th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Languages spoken:

Native English (British)
Can get by in French and German, from what I can remember from school.
Now recently began learning Ukrainian, can already speak it a little.

kk0sse54
September 9th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Swedish and English are my native languages and I'm fluent in French as well

doas777
September 9th, 2008, 11:54 PM
1 well,
2 badly,
and 3 or 4 which would cause an international incident.

deluser
September 9th, 2008, 11:59 PM
2 english and icelandic, tiny bit of spanish.

cmay
September 10th, 2008, 12:00 AM
danish is my native language. i speak English better than i write it since i spell lousy . i have been trying to teach myself lakota once. from a webpage with translations of stories and exercises in native lakota . i did not learn it however. its too difficult to learn for the sake of interest in the language it self. i know many words from different countries as i have known many different people from many countries. i like to learn words from other languages and if i had more time i would like to learn more than just two languages.

uberdonkey5
September 10th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I'm english, but speak Italian (conversational) and have basic conversational Portuguese (since I live here now!)

but why???

(PS also speak australian, american and New Zealandish, but not well)

Ioky
September 10th, 2008, 01:40 AM
in term of chinese, There are like many... Like Mandarin, cantonese, Taishanese and on and on... and they don't sound like one to others at all. There are all of people in chinese who speak Mandarin don't know how to speck cantonese, and the other way around. SO in term of speaking, I don't know you want to count this as one or many.

I personally speak three difference kind of Chinese pretty well, along with English and Japanese(not as good as the other two).

SO it would be 3 or 5 depend on how you want to look at it.

OutOfReach
September 10th, 2008, 01:46 AM
I speak 2 languages.
1 (English) is my native language.
2 (Spanish) is my second language.

rateupnext
September 10th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Hi my name us Rafael, I'm from MEXICO and I speak 2 languages, English and Spanish... Ü!!

:shock:

!!Viva México!!

fballem
September 10th, 2008, 01:53 AM
English is my native language. Je parle français assez courement aussi. I keep threatening to learn Portuguese, but my daughter tells me that I have a dreadful Portuguese accent.

When I was young, my parents bought into the Canadian dream of having their children speak both official languages, so I spent many summers in French speaking parts of the world. I don't get much of a chance to hear it spoken (I live in Toronto), but I usually am able to speak it within a day or two and get my ear back in a week of exposure.

linux_lover69
September 10th, 2008, 01:57 AM
English, and a very little Spanish, not really enough to fluently speak it. Just words and phrases i leaned taking a class on it.

Pasto
September 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM
English + native Spanish

myusername
September 10th, 2008, 08:11 AM
3 english native. german and spanish

dizee
September 10th, 2008, 04:41 PM
English, Irish and French.

majorhabib
September 16th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I do speak Arabic, English, little French, and little Turkish.

Patrick793
September 16th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I speak English, and am currently learning French.

jimi_hendrix
September 16th, 2008, 11:15 PM
english some italian and some spanish

james_xxx
September 16th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I speak English and German fluently, not to mention an American dialect of German called Pennsylvania Dutch. I will soon have a degree in Arabic, but sadly, I cannot really claim to speak it.

Le-Froid
September 17th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Know english, learning some russian (and some spanish in school ~ I learned how to say hola within the first 8 years of teaching :p)

dioltas
September 17th, 2008, 01:41 AM
English, Irish, French. A tiny bit of spanish...

skipsbro
September 17th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I speak English (duh), Spanish and just a tiny bit of Finnish.

arashiko28
September 17th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Spanish, English, Japanese, Italian, German, Portuguese and French, currently studying german and japanese:)

gcornett
September 17th, 2008, 02:02 AM
English. Although when I travel overseas I try to learn at least a few words in the local language. It's polite to at least be able to say hello and thank you.

arashiko28
September 17th, 2008, 02:08 AM

American. ^_^ I'm from the States myself, so I only speak English. I have no reason to learn another language. I live in the Kansas City area so I'm far enough from the Mexican border to where we don't get a lot of people who only speak Spanish. All of my Mexican friends speak beautiful English, including the ones who've only been here a few years. They learned English very fast and speak it very well.

Hi, I found it pretty easy, as the matter of fact I didn't learned at any school and in my country the native language is spanish. I learned listening music and copying the songs as if were dictated, watching TV with the closed caption for the hearing impaired, that way I learned how to write everyday use words, after I ended high school, went to a language college and only did the last 3 advanced levels, corrected and eliminated the latin accent and voilà... :) it only took me a year to get my degree (braggin'):lolflag:

LaRoza
September 17th, 2008, 02:10 AM
English. Although when I travel overseas I try to learn at least a few words in the local language. It's polite to at least be able to say hello and thank you.

Also:

Men/Women (whatever they use for restrooms. Learn them).
Help!
I don't speak $LANGUAGE

2cute4u
September 17th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I only speak English fluently. But like a good American teenage girl, I know several swear words in at least 10 languages :lolflag:

Trafferth
October 28th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Dw i'n gallu siarad Saesneg (iaith gyntaf) a Cymraeg (ail iaith), felly fe bleidleisiais i am '2'. Yma yng Nghymru, mae'r rhan fwyaf o wasanaethau cyhoeddus, arwyddion, a dogfennau pwysig yn ddwyieithog. Mae'r cyfryngau Cymraeg yn tyfu o ddydd i ddydd, hefyd. :)

I can speak English (first language) and Welsh (second language), so have voted for '2'. Here in Wales the majority of public services are bilingual, as are most signs and important documents. There is a growing media in the language, too. :)

I can read (and attempt to speak) a few other languages too. I find French, Dutch and Afrikaans easiest to follow. It's amazing how much easier learning other languages becomes once you've got past learning a second language.

Learning languages (programming languages included) is a lot of fun - if you only speak the one at the moment, give it a go! It's an investment of time that's never wasted!

- Trafferth ;)

Kingsley
October 28th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I speak American. Jesus spoke American, and that's good enough for me!

Just kidding, I'm also pretty good at German and a Nigerian tribal language.

geogur
October 28th, 2008, 05:29 PM
German/English/some French , and I learned them in that order . My dad has 5 due living in Europe you have more exposure to more cultures.

jenee
October 28th, 2008, 10:45 PM
English (first)
and a tad Spanish (second)

Always wanted to pick up on the Breton language as i have some Celt ancestors

Lostincyberspace
October 28th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Actually the stereotypical American speaks no language fluently, so give yourself some more credit.

LaRoza
October 28th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I speak American. Jesus spoke American, and that's good enough for me!

Aramaic, for those interested in what He spoke.

ECPCLINUX
October 28th, 2008, 11:32 PM
English & Spanish. English was the first language I spoke however, my family moved to Puerto Rico from New York when I was a child. I started my first year of school in Puerto Rico. Unfortunately, my parent did not help me practice English and I forgot how to speak English.:confused: When I returned to the states, I learned to speak English very quickly, guess it was still somewhere in the back of my mind. As a result of that mess, I feel more comfortable speaking Spanish, but much more at home reading and writing in English, lol Nevertheless, I have begun to notice that I feel just as comfortable speaking English now, since most of my friends feel more comfortable speaking English, that seems to have help me. Finally, I would like to speak Japanese, but since I'm hard of hearing and over the years it's gotten worse It would be extremely difficult to learn to speak Japanese. Plus at this point in my life I rather learn other things, like Linux for one,lol

vegetali
October 28th, 2008, 11:36 PM
english, french, italian, japanese

.jeger
October 28th, 2008, 11:43 PM
English natively, enough French to get around Paris easily, enough Spanish for basic commands to sedate patients.

Skorzen
October 28th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I speak English and Portuguese, fluently.

dracule
October 29th, 2008, 12:37 AM
English, Russian, Swedish, Bit of french. I can read Norwegian and Danish pretty well.

Linux&Gsus
October 29th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I have a question for non-native English speakers though. Was English difficult to learn compared to other languages? I'm a native speaker, but I've always thought that English is an extremely complicated language and we have a lot of exceptions to the "rules" and the overall structure seems almost like you need to learn it by wrote memorization.
I personally think English is a lot easier than German. Not saying that English is simple or anything like that. But sometimes I wonder if I speak better English or German (Yes, I'm German...).
Well, you know how it is in Germany there is a rule for everything, even for not having a rule. And don't forget the rules for the rules.
Grammar is a mess, I never really understood that, German or English, doesn't matter. Just not my thing really to get it right in all the details. Sometimes people think that I'm typical ESL because of my grammar. But they don't know that I don't get it right in German either. :D

Not having gender assigned to our nouns is very nice, but other things seem somewhat silly.
Gender is one of the things. Not to forget that gender can change for the same thing in different areas/dialects. Grammar changes as well, it can be different in various regions even in "Standard German" language.

Silly things? You'll find that in most if not all languages, I guess. Legal German? Oh goodness, so many terms I just don't know what they should mean. I guess you need to be a layer to understand that kind of jabber.

So, I speak German and English. I understand most things of the German dialects, oh yes that can be different to "regular" German. Of course I can 't pronounce it all in that dialect. If spoken slow I might even understand Plattdüütsch. Dialects spoken in the north of Germany. Simply said it has a mix of German, Dutch and English.
For sure I can read Plattdüütsch and I also can read Dutch.

Cheers.

mp3_freak_721
October 29th, 2008, 02:39 PM
English and Hmong. Guess what that is.

dracvs
October 29th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Spanish as mother Native language
English as second language. Finally i became Bilingual!

And I am trying to lear german and french just in case.

itreius
October 29th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Croatian, German & English