PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a new laptop that DOESN'T have Vista on it

dbsoundman
November 29th, 2007, 01:29 AM
I'm wondering if there's any place you all can think of that sells reliable, new laptops that are NOT preloaded with VIsta; XP would be much preferred. This is for my not-so-at-all-tech-savvy parents, so Ubuntu is not an option, and my dad doesn't like the Macintosh interface in general. So, I would like to find somewhere where we could get a new XP laptop. Anybody have a good idea as to where this might be found? Thanks!

-Dan

Warpnow
November 29th, 2007, 01:31 AM
You can still customize dells with xp I think.

KCPokes
November 29th, 2007, 01:33 AM
You can still customize dells with xp I think.

You are correct. You can still build a Vostro laptop, from Dell, with XP on it. That is one of the last places, that I've seen, that still provides that option.

luvdemheels
November 29th, 2007, 02:05 AM
I don't understand why ubuntu isn't an option. If they aren't tech savy then they will most likely be doing just internet and e-mail and ubuntu would be perfect.

Anyway, Dell sells laptops that you can configure with xp..they also sell laptops with ubuntu.

Linuxratty
November 29th, 2007, 02:11 AM
You can find lots of really nice refurbished laptops with XP...Even some nice Macs if you dig a little.
Just Google Refurbished laptops.

-Phi-
November 29th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Last I checked, Fujitsu lets you choose XP or Vista too.

- Phi

EmilyRose
November 29th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Why isn't Ubuntu an option? Both my husband and father have figured it out... if they can so can *ANYONE*!!! :D

Bartender
November 29th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Just Google Refurbished laptops.

The "used" or "refurbished" marketplace looks like a rip-off to me. They're trying to sell ancient laptops for just about as much as a brand new one.

alwiap
November 29th, 2007, 03:46 AM
try dell or system76 (www.system76.com)

dbsoundman
November 29th, 2007, 03:46 AM
My dad is pretty set on Dell, and windows. He doesn't really do technology. In fact, I remember once in my childhood, putting on a new front porch lamp turned into a 5 hour ordeal...so I should stick with the basics.

Fortunately, I dug a little deeper than I did before and found I can indeed put XP on a new dell laptop. I've come up with a preliminary option for them that's right about $850, which is not bad IMO. The only beef I have is the fact that you have to pay to add Microsoft Word to the Works Suite that comes with the laptop...but whatever. Thanks!

-Dan

jimrz
November 29th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Lenovo's site still allows the option for XP on both their ThinkPad and Lenovo 3000 new models.

D-EJ915
November 29th, 2007, 04:50 AM
HP lets you put XP or FreeDOS on their business series laptops.

mridkash
November 29th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Here in India, i think its available. The PC shop guy told me that compaq laptops are available with and without vista. and the cost was considerably low for a system without vista.

phen
November 29th, 2007, 03:47 PM
it is difficult to find a shop that sells systems without operating system. allthough it is somehow the law that you must be able to buy any system without windows. I know thats not exactly what the thread is about, but it worries me. I want to be able to buy any laptop I want without paying the Microsoft tax..