PDA

View Full Version : Get System Info

Black Mage
November 28th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I'm trying to write a program that can log into a computer on my internal network ex 192.168.1.34, and then get the system information. Would I need to have a client /server set up? And is there a file where the system information is kept?

And as for system information, I mean things such as Ram, Hard Disk Space, Operating System, computer manufactur, model, etc. And once the information is obtained, it is then returned to a database.

DoctorMO
November 28th, 2007, 07:37 PM
You could use lshw for most of the details. you could also use dohickey-project.com and recode it to output what you need.

Black Mage
November 28th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Is there anything in java or php?

And there is no file where the information is stored? Or a function in a language that returns that kind of information?

bobbocanfly
November 28th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Is there anything in java or php?

And there is no file where the information is stored? Or a function in a language that returns that kind of information?

Ssystem information is kept in the /proc directory. If it is writing a PHP page and outputting information fro files in /proc should be pretty trivial.

You can use the uname command to get some info about your system too.

Black Mage
November 28th, 2007, 08:31 PM
/proc the same for windows?

jinx099
November 28th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Theres an app called phpsysinfo that reads all your info from /proc and displays it on a webpage. Maybe this would help for your program.

Black Mage
December 6th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Is there a name for getting information on all computers in a network and then monitor it from one computer?

Basically I'm looking for a solution for obtaining information on all computers on a network. And I'm trying to stay open source.

popch
December 6th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Is there a name for getting information on all computers in a network and then monitor it from one computer?

Basically I'm looking for a solution for obtaining information on all computers on a network. And I'm trying to stay open source.

Wouldn't that fall under the heading of a Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)? I think that many devices and OSs support that, and that it adresses your need.

Black Mage
December 6th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Simple Network Management Protocol doesn't quite do it. I'm talking about specs on each machine. Like users, Operating System, etc.

Black Mage
December 6th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Basically, something like this that exist in open source.

http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/asset-explorer/track-it-assets.html