PDA

View Full Version : Google Highly Open Participation Contest

23meg
November 28th, 2007, 05:19 PM
http://code.google.com/opensource/ghop/2007-8/

Welcome

Following on from the success of the Google Summer of Code program, Google is pleased to announce this new effort to get young people involved in open source development. We've teamed up with the open source projects listed here to give student contestants the opportunity to learn more about and contribute to all aspects of open source software development, from writing code and documentation to preparing training materials and conducting user experience research.

If you're a student age 13 or older who has not yet begun university studies, we'd love to see you help out these projects. In return, you'll learn more about all aspects of developing software - not just programming - and you'll be eligible to win cash prizes and the all important t-shirt! You will, of course, need your parent or guardian's permission to participate where applicable.

Get Started!

To get started, read the Official Contest Rules and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page. Once you've done that, you're ready to start investigating the many ways you can contribute to these open source projects. Just click on the participate link next to a project on the right when you're ready to enter the contest. Let the games begin!

bobbocanfly
November 28th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Quite tempted to participate in this. The only problem is that most of the Issues that are assigned to this project are Documentation/Publicity ones. A lot of the coders will be feeling a bit left out at this point.

rfruth
November 28th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Once again Google puts its money (& clout) where its mouth is !

Darkhack
November 28th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I think this is a great oppertunity for some but I also think there will be a higher amount of failures. Kids wanting to jump on to an open source project and then they realize that they are in way over their heads. Happened to me several times. By the time you reach college, you've done enough stuff to realize what is over your head and what isn't.

sorcererx84
November 28th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Signed up for three Gnome tasks already regarding documentation. Too bad there were no Gnome-related Python tasks but I'm sure the situation will improve. It is still the first time this contest is held.

23meg
February 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM
The contest has concluded. Here are the results:

http://code.google.com/opensource/ghop/2007-8/