PDA

View Full Version : Portable and easy GUI with Python

lowpis
November 28th, 2007, 08:26 AM
I need to write a simple GUI with Python that needs to be portable (most Linux flavors and Mac OS X). I also need it to be simple to use, that means that the end user should install nothing extra.

Ubuntu has pyGTK and Tk support (anything else?) right out-of box.
OS X has wxPython and no GTK or TK.

Is there any way to write a python application that runs on most Linux distros (Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, Suse) and Mac OS X without requiring the user to install extra python modules?

Thanks

smartbei
November 28th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Any platform that has Python installed has Tk - it is included. For Python programming it is therefore the most portable gui toolkit. Whether it makes sense to use Tk depends on the your project. If you are making a simple application then it should be very simple to put together a Tkinter Gui that would satisfy the requirements.

Note that there are also ways to package a python application so that users don't need to install anything else. For example, there is py2exe (which is for windows).

xtacocorex
November 28th, 2007, 01:31 PM
You are incorrect about OS X not having Tkinter. That is the main reason why I moved my GTK+ UI over to TKinter for my Airfoil Generator. I wanted a UI that was cross platform without having my userbase install extra libraries.

Tkinter may not be the sexiest UI toolkit available, but it definitely gets the job done.

There is also a python script (py2app) that will create a .app bundle for OS X, just forgot where I got it.

adelgado
November 28th, 2007, 01:56 PM
As som already said, every Python install comes with Tkinter, including Mac OS X.

As for .app bundles for Mac OS X, this link might be of help:

http://svn.pythonmac.org/py2app/py2app/trunk/doc/index.html

samjh
November 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Actually, Python on Ubuntu doesn't come installed with Tkinter or Tk. It needs to be manually installed or installed as a dependency for another program, from the repositories.

lowpis
November 28th, 2007, 05:59 PM
My mistake: I just saw that Mac has Tkinter.

Tkinter looks ok on Mac but is very ugly on Ubuntu. But it seems to be the right solution for me.

smartbei
November 28th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Yes, it is indeed very ugly on Ubuntu, and it looks good (decent anyway) on Windows as well. Who knows...