PDA

View Full Version : maybe its just me...

NaOH
September 5th, 2005, 04:30 AM
I'm a fresh convert from windows. Recently I hooked up my old Windie harddrive to retrieve some old files and I listened to some music for kicks. Wow, I think audio sounds a tad better on linux. Maybe its just me, but windows playback sounded noticeably crappier. Perhaps someone could explain this, hehehe

drizek
September 5th, 2005, 04:51 AM
you might have jsut been using a crappy audio app in windows. if you use a qualit mp3 player like foobar2000, it shouyld be the same as xine/gstreamer in linux.

however, its possible that it sounded different just due to different settings, and you prefered the way linux sounded.

really, id say its about equal sound quality wise. architectuarlly, linux is at a slight disadvantage, but it should all be fixed up in the coming year.

you can knock MS on a lot of things, but they got audio down right.

aysiu
September 5th, 2005, 05:09 AM
It's also possible that you had the wrong sound driver installed in Windows.

XDevHald
September 5th, 2005, 05:11 AM
I'm a fresh convert from windows. Recently I hooked up my old Windie harddrive to retrieve some old files and I listened to some music for kicks. Wow, I think audio sounds a tad better on linux. Maybe its just me, but windows playback sounded noticeably crappier. Perhaps someone could explain this, hehehe
If it's an Integrated sound card then yes, (These sound cards really suck but can be tweaked if you know how to do it) if not then it's just your application you're using as drizek quoted.

NaOH
September 5th, 2005, 06:12 AM
that sounds about right, i've got a nasty little onboard sound "card." I think this may be relevant to the topic at hand: For purposes such as recording and serious music production, is there any advantage to linux? It seems all the good software is for windows, which is probably the answer to my question.

Brunellus
September 5th, 2005, 06:46 AM
that sounds about right, i've got a nasty little onboard sound "card." I think this may be relevant to the topic at hand: For purposes such as recording and serious music production, is there any advantage to linux? It seems all the good software is for windows, which is probably the answer to my question.
advantage: cost, especailly if you don't use patent-encumbered formats.

poofyhairguy
September 5th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Perhaps someone could explain this, hehehe

Better drivers.