PDA

View Full Version : Undersea cable to link E. Africa, Europe

Sporkman
November 27th, 2007, 05:25 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071126/ap_on_hi_te/eastern_africa_broadband_2

Undersea cable to link E. Africa, Europe

By ALI SULTAN, Associated Press Writer Mon Nov 26, 5:52 PM ET

NAIROBI, Kenya - A consortium of companies planning an undersea cable linking eastern Africa with Europe on Monday won the funding it needed to start construction, a move organizers said will bring this part of the world affordable and reliable telecommunications for the first time.

Five development finance institutions agreed to loan the consortium a total of $70.7 million. The East African Submarine Cable System has been working on the $235 million fiber-optic cable project for five years, said Lars Thunell, the executive vice president of the International Finance Corp., the private sector lending arm of the World Bank.

"Typical cost of internet access in East Africa is $200 to $300 a month, which is one of the highest in the world," Thunell told journalists. "We expect that prices will drop about two-thirds when this project is in place and then continue down."

Two weeks ago, an even larger project, called SEACOM, also completed its financing for an undersea fiber optic cable. That 9,321-mile cable will link Kenya, Madagascar, Mozambique and Tanzania with international broadband cable in South Africa, India and Europe and is estimated to cost $650 million.

Three other projects have been in the works to link 22 eastern, central and southern African countries to the world's network of submarine cables.

SEACOM, in which five American, South African and Kenyan companies have invested, expects its cable to be in service by June 2009. Two other undersea cable projects for eastern Africa are still looking for investors.

The Indian Ocean seabed near eastern African is the world's only seabed without a fiber-optic cable, which means the region must rely heavily on limited and expensive satellite links for its Internet access.

A total of 29 companies form the consortium that received Monday's financing, offered jointly by the IFC, the European Investment Bank, the African Development Bank, the French Development Agency and Germany's KfW development bank.

Many member companies paid $10 million to $30 million each to get the project going, said Sammy Kirui, the chairman of the cable consortium, the East African Submarine Cable System.

The loans signed Monday will compensate for the lack of contributions from financially weaker members of the consortium, he said.

"We have the money now. What we are working on is basically logistics and we have signed the agreements and everything else is in place. Definitely, we are going to have a close at the end of this week in Johannesburg," Kirui said.

Kirui said work will start next month and finish by March 2009.

The cable will be 6,214 miles long, stretching from South Africa to Sudan. At South Africa the cable will connect with another linking South Africa and western Africa with Europe. The consortium will also lay fiber-optic cables to connect inland networks with the undersea cable.

mips
November 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM
And ?

n3tfury
November 28th, 2007, 12:59 PM
And ?

either this is not news to you because you life in S. Africa or since it's not about Ubuntu or the "demise" of Vista, you're not interested?

quinnten83
November 28th, 2007, 01:29 PM
well it is great news.
This and the OLPC might make things better in this region.
I just hope no corrupt greedy tyrant speeds off with the cash.

mellowd
November 28th, 2007, 01:31 PM
It's about time Africa got cheaper internet access. In South Africa it's one of the cheapest places in Africa to get but its still ridicuously expensive

mellowd
November 28th, 2007, 01:32 PM
And ?

and what?

eljoeb
November 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM
either this is not news to you because you life in S. Africa or since it's not about Ubuntu or the "demise" of Vista, you're not interested?

This is the Ubuntu forums right?

It is good news, though.

mips
November 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM
and what?

Dropping FO cable in the ocean happens on a regular basis, nothing new here.

mellowd
November 28th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Dropping FO cable in the ocean happens on a regular basis, nothing new here.

But not to East Africa. It certainly is a new thing

Kingsley
November 28th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I think this has a very high chance of success if Americans/Europeans are investing in it.

mellowd
November 28th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I think this has a very high chance of success if Americans/Europeans are investing in it.

and south africans ;)

n3tfury
November 28th, 2007, 04:18 PM
This is the Ubuntu forums right?

It is good news, though.

this is the community cafe
a place to discuss pretty much anything (within reason)

not every post of news needs to be ubuntu nor linux related. *gasp*

BDNiner
November 28th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I have been following this story for a couple months now. It is great news for East Africa since the Southern African nations are stalling on running their cable from the Cape up the east coast of Africa to India. It is the only part of the world that is not on the world broadband network. Hopefully Kenya doesn't charge extremely high amounts for Uganda and other land locked countries in East Africa to use the line. hopefully soon i can move back home and start my own company. I believe Lucent Technologies is putting up most of the money to get the cable run.

mips
November 29th, 2007, 07:46 PM

Well the west african cable sure as hell did not help the populous much. Way to expensive and is underutilised.This also had US/EU investors as well as south african.

I don't see the pattern changing.

BDNiner
November 29th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Well the west african cable sure as hell did not help the populous much. Way to expensive and is underutilised.This also had US/EU investors as well as south african.

I don't see the pattern changing.

I agree with you there, it may not help the population right now, but a big part of subsahara africa's problem is there is no infrastructure. I think that it is never a bad idea to develop the infrastructure even if it is under utilized.

One of the best plans that has come from this is the banking industry in East Africa is making plans to allow users to withdraw money from ATMs that don't belong to their bank. You kinda take things like that for granted living in the western world. The only reason it didn't happen already is no one wanted to invest in running the cables to connect the different banks together. now that they can all use the fibre lines that will be run because of this project.

Hopefully it doesn't take decades to run those lines into the middle of the continent.