PDA

View Full Version : open source support business

quinnten83
November 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM
So,
let's say I want to start a business in open source (service) support, how would one go about doing that?
I don't mean the technical support, but also support for the implementation and the use of.
How much knowledge would be required, you think? And what specific knowledge would be required?
Do you guys and girls have examples of (successful) business doing open source support I can take a peak at?
I just would like to know how & where to start....

Jimmey
November 27th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Business IT set ups where FLOSS solutions can be deployed are usually in small offices where non-bespoke software is in use (Instead of WinXP with Office '03, you could easily recommend Ubuntu 6.06 with OpenOffice), and servers (maybe file/print servers in, again, small offices).

You'd get started well if you found a small office nearby that saw no gain from using Microsoft products, and saw something to gain from using free software.

Bigger offices tend to use specific software that there's likely to be no Linux alternative for.

And alot of technical knowledge is required to set up a functional replacement to the servers most businesses currently use.

Sounds like a very difficult idea to put into action.

quinnten83
November 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Business IT set ups where FLOSS solutions can be deployed are usually in small offices where non-bespoke software is in use (Instead of WinXP with Office '03, you could easily recommend Ubuntu 6.06 with OpenOffice), and servers (maybe file/print servers in, again, small offices).

You'd get started well if you found a small office nearby that saw no gain from using Microsoft products, and saw something to gain from using free software.

Bigger offices tend to use specific software that there's likely to be no Linux alternative for.

And alot of technical knowledge is required to set up a functional replacement to the servers most businesses currently use.

Sounds like a very difficult idea to put into action.

Hmmm,
you are probably right. So I accept this challenge.
Now, I just have to figure a way to start and figure out what I need knowledge wise :)