PDA

View Full Version : Why do developers bound themselves to Microsoft standards ?

MaximB
November 27th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Why do developers bound themselves to Microsoft standards ?

Why most of todays games use DirectX and not OpenGL, while OpenGL can do everything that DirectX can ?
Why do more and more sites run under IIS forcing themselves to use Windows servers and not the free Apache ?
Why many sites are developed under M$ Explorer standards that run lame on other web browsers ?

WHY ?

Will they make more money if they develop games under DirectX then using OpenGL ?
Will they save more money if they develop sites that run only under Microsoft PROPERTY AND COSTLY WINDOWS SERVERS then if they run them under the FREE Apache under FREE Linux ?
Will they lose money if they use world standards and not Microsoft standards ?

WILL THEY ?

please explain it to me because I just don't get it.

Nunu
November 27th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I don't know if this is true but i heard that EA Games are looking at developing OpenGL games soon. It would be awesome if they did

Jimmey
November 27th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Why most of todays games use DirectX and not OpenGL, while OpenGL can do everything that DirectX can ?

I'm not sure it can. DirectX is a compilation of API for graphics and sound that make it easier for developers to make games. The alternatives (OpenGL and OpenAL) aren't quite up to the same standard (I might be wrong, though).

Why many sites are developed under M$ Explorer standards that run lame on other web browsers ?

You have to admit that the majority of computers are running Windows, and, as a consequence, internet explorer. This, for web designers, means that the majority of the traffic to their site will be using IE. For the site to be sucessful, they have to prioritise this browser.

mustang357
November 27th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I believe your post correlates well with the question, "Why don't developers use open standards (e.g. Linux or any other open source operating system)?"

This -> http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT8673493458.html article on desktoplinux.com has a section titled, "Why Desktop Linux is not adopted more widely?" The section also explains some reason for the dependence upon Microsoft standards.

Edit: As for losing money if they use the IE standards for web development, the answer is, "Yes." I recently developed a website where the corporation using it was using exclusively IE6. As it is the default browser for Windows, most people just use it. Thankfully the development trend is swinging more toward developing a standards compliant site that works in all browsers, and then applying fixes for each browsing platform.