PDA

View Full Version : Linux Exclusive Application Extrodinaire

verevi
November 27th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Just curious what applications are one-of-a-kind on Linux. Most of the great applications I use on Ubuntu are also available on other platforms (Firefox, Thunderbird, etc).

What are the GREAT applications that you can find exclusively on Linux (and there really is no alternative that is available for other platforms)?

akiratheoni
November 27th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Amarok, hands down.

human-ness
November 27th, 2007, 05:35 AM
It's not always about one of a kind apps in Ubuntu. The beauty of Ubuntu is, that unlike other platforms such as WinXP, you don't have to go searching all over the internet for them. You just do a small search in your add/remove feature.

There are many apps, that are not so much one of a kind, but more so, do the job more efficiently.

I use Motion, a camera security app that is run entirely through the terminal, and it out does anything I have used in windows. The only catch is, you have to use some brain power to work it all out. Once it's setup however, it's unbeatable.

I run two cameras simultaneously from the same computer. I have set one cam to take pictures and one to record in ffmpeg format upon any movement detected.

Running apps in Ubuntu, I have found to be a lot more rock solid, than when I run them in windows. Ubuntu seems to keep on keeping on, no matter how long I leave it without a reboot, whereas windows seems to become somewhat unstable when left for a while. Whether it is due to the OS not being able to handle memory leaks and what not, I am not sure, but the fact remains, Ubuntu for me, has been much better. And I won't even start on security.

So whether or not, Ubuntu has one of a kind apps, as long as it is easier to find the program of your choice and then run it with rock solid stability, it wins out in my opinion.

Some people are not so lucky however. They either simply don't understand the running of the Terminal and command lines, or just plain and simply have bad luck, in perhaps their choices of hardware. Unsupported hardware, whether it be because it's new, or because it's not great, will always cause hassles.

My advice to people is go out and get yourself hardware that has been on the shelf for some time, because there is more chance of it being supported by Ubuntu coders. Also, do a little research on what you are buying, and this will draw a fine line between one of a kind apps and Ubuntu's kick butt nature.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers.

ryanVickers
November 27th, 2007, 06:04 AM
with open source, everything is kind of available for every platform... :p
too bad in this case ;)

yatt
November 27th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Amarok, Konqueror, and KDE as a whole.

Synaptic/Adpet.

Exaile.

mridkash
November 27th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I think this has been asked before!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=399997

verevi
November 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I think this has been asked before!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=399997

Great thread, thanks for posting. I think my question is slightly different in that I'm curious about specific *applications* that are exclusive to Linux. Amarok (at least until KDE 4.0) is a great example.

mridkash
November 28th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Well here is another active thread that might interest you,
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=615850

SomeGuyDude
November 28th, 2007, 06:22 AM
k3b/k9copy for all of your DVD ripping/copying needs.

Exaile's my favorite music player of the moment.

Compiz/Emerald is a great desktop effects suite.

Kingsley
November 28th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Compiz... for now.