PDA

View Full Version : bash find command into variables

DouglasAWh
November 27th, 2007, 02:48 AM
alright, I found http://lowfatlinux.com/linux-find-files.html which was useful, and a few tangential posts here, but nothing that really gets to the meat of this situation.

I can do

#!/bin/bash
altDir=$(find /public/html/cosi -name "wiki.phtml")
echo $altDir

but, what I'd like to do is give each file path it's own variable, so that I can built a web page on the fly

Something like the following (though I'm not sure it will work...just throwing the line together off the top of my head)

echo "<a href=\"$var\">doman.org/$var</a>

Obviously, I'd have to truncate the returned file path at after /html/, but I'll worry about that later. I think that the URL I gave in the first sentence will help me with that issue.

And while I'm at it, does anyone know if wiki.phtml is in every version of mediawiki? I've posted about this elsewhere, but since it's a similar issue, I thought I'd mention here too.

THANKS! (on both questions!)

nanotube
November 27th, 2007, 04:36 AM
make a list out of it, then loop over the list:

quick example (may be slightly off):

altDir=( $(find /public/html/cosi -name "wiki.phtml") )
for ((i=0; i < ${#altDir } ; i++))
do
echo <a href=\"${altDir[$i]}\">doman.org/${altDir[$i]}</a>
done

to simplify the loop, you can use the "item in list" type of loop:

altDir=( $(find /public/html/cosi -name "wiki.phtml") )
for item in ${altDir }
do
echo <a href=\"${item}\">doman.org/${item}</a>
done

and for "future reference", i might direct you toward the "advanced bash scripting guide" :)

DouglasAWh
November 28th, 2007, 12:23 AM
neither of the above work. It keeps spitting out a newline error. I'm looking into it and will post when resolved.

EDIT: ok, item gets made correctly (echoed out item). Thus, I need to figure out the newline issue AND figure out how to deal with dir with spaces.

mssever
November 28th, 2007, 01:26 AM
figure out how to deal with dir with spaces.

Unless you know otherwise, always surround variable references in double quotes. That will prevent unwanted shell expansion. Examples:
"$var"
"This is a string containing $var"
cp "$var1" "$var2"

DouglasAWh
November 28th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Unless you know otherwise, always surround variable references in double quotes. That will prevent unwanted shell expansion. Examples:
"$var"
"This is a string containing $var"
cp "$var1" "$var2"

I'm not sure you understood what I meant by dir with spaces. I meant that /dir/subdir/sub dir/wiki.phtml shows up as

/dir/subdir/sub
dir/wiki.phtml

The find commands locates them correctly, but at current the items do not work correctly.

Now, your point is still valid, but since you quoted that particular statement of mine, I thought I would clarify.

ghostdog74
November 28th, 2007, 02:33 AM
another way

find /path -name "yourfile" -exec echo {} "testing" \;

run the above and see what it looks like, then adapt the above to your actual requirement.

DouglasAWh
November 28th, 2007, 02:48 AM
another way

find /path -name "yourfile" -exec echo {} "testing" \;

run the above and see what it looks like, then adapt the above to your actual requirement.

The problem with that is that I just want it to echo out the HTML and that will print the dir and then the HTML.

volanin
November 28th, 2007, 03:10 AM
#!/bin/bash

IFS=$'\n'
FILES=`find /public/html/cosi -name wiki.phtml`

for FILE in $FILES; do
echo "STARTSTRING" $FILE "ENDSTRING"
done

In one line:

IFS=$'\n'; for FILE in `find /public/html/cosi -name wiki.phtml`; do echo "STARTSTRING" $FILE "ENDSTRING"; done

Or using ghostdog74 style:

find /public/html/cosi -name wiki.phtml -exec echo "STARTSTRING" {} "ENDSTRING" \;

nhandler
November 28th, 2007, 03:31 AM
To expand:

find /public/html/cosi -name "wiki.phtml -exec echo "<a href=\"{}\">{}</a>" \;

I think that should work