PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Determining if a process is running

dwhitney67
November 26th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Is there an easier way to determine if a process is running, other than using the "ps" (process status) command?

A co-worker insists the following script is inefficient and not because of the "sleep" call, but because of the repeated calls to "ps". I agree with him, thus I am looking for a way to perform the "ps" only once, and use this result through each iteration of the loop.

#!/bin/sh

isProcessRunning()
{
# $1 is process-name to verify if running
#
ps -ef | cut -b 49- | grep -e ^.*/$1$ >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
retval=$?
}

# Main program
#
while true
do
# DATABASE
isProcessRunning database
if [ $retval -ne 0 ]
then
/usr/bin/database > /dev/null 2> /dev/null &
fi

# ARCHIVER
#isProcessRunning archiver
#if [ $retval -ne 0 ]
#then
# /usr/bin/archiver > /dev/null 2> /dev/null &
#fi

# HISTOGRAM
isProcessRunning histogram
if [ $retval -ne 0 ]
then
/usr/bin/histogram > /dev/null 2> /dev/null &
fi

# HARDWARED
isProcessRunning hardwared
if [ $retval -ne 0 ]
then
/usr/bin/hardwared > /dev/null 2> /dev/null &
fi

sleep 2
done

scorp123
November 26th, 2007, 10:14 PM
You may want to look into the pidof command ... It returns the PID of a process. Let's suppose I wanted to check if Firefox is running:
$ pidof firefox-bin
13549 ... The number there is the PID of my firefox instance. If nothing is returned then the program in question isn't running. This can be also incorporated into a script, e.g. this command:
echo $? ... returns the exit code of the last command that was run. So my example with "pidof firefox-bin" gives me a return code of "0" which means "all OK" whereas e.g. "pidof blahblahcatchme" will give me a return code of "1" which means "not OK".

And of course you could put this into a nice "if ... then" loop, e.g.
if [ "$?" -ne "0" ]; then
echo "Sorry, program xyz is not running it seems!"
exit 1
fi

So I suppose your script up there could be shortened and made to look more elegant?

dwhitney67
November 26th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the tidbit. I will look into whether my non-Ubuntu system supports this. This command is definitely much more efficient than doing the "ps", followed by a "cut", and then a "grep".

scorp123
November 26th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I will look into whether my non-Ubuntu system supports this. This command is definitely much more efficient than doing the "ps", followed by a "cut", and then a "grep". The "pidof" command is pretty much standard on Linux .... but not on commercial UNIX, e.g. Solaris, HP-UX, and so on. So if your script is running on one of those OS'es you'd have to do it the way you did it now with all those tools.

tyoc
November 26th, 2007, 11:38 PM
IIRC, you can do some like kill -0 or some like that.

scorp123
November 26th, 2007, 11:45 PM
IIRC, you can do some like kill -0 or some like that. Taken from the "kill" manual:
SIGNALS
The signals listed below may be available for use with kill.
When known constant, numbers and default behavior are shown.

Name Num Action Description
0 0 n/a exit code indicates if a signal may be sent

So this would check if a task is still responding (= accepting signals via "kill") .... that's kinda not exactly the same.

PaulFr
November 27th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Just my 0.02: In POSIX systems,
ps -eo comm|grep <command_name>is reasonable (i.e. look at the -o option to ps). On Solaris, pgrep has some useful arguments.

dwhitney67
November 27th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Everyone, thank you for your replies. I think I will rely on scorp123's suggestion and use the pidof command. The system I am using, CLFS (cross-compiled linux from scratch) has support for this command.

My script should end up looking something like:

#!/bin/sh

while true
do
# DATABASE
pidof database >& /dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
/usr/bin/database >& /dev/null &
fi

# ARCHIVER
#pidof archiver >& /dev/null
#if [ $? -ne 0 ]
#then
# /usr/bin/archiver >& /dev/null &
#fi

# HISTOGRAM
pidof histogram >& /dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
/some/path/not/usr/bin/histogram >& /dev/null &
fi

# HARDWARED
pidof hardwared >& /dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
/usr/bin/hardwared >& /dev/null &
fi

sleep 2
done

geirha
November 27th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Instead of

pidof database >& /dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
You can simply do

if ! pidof database >& /dev/null
And since you only run one command in each if, you can make it quite compact with

pidof database >& /dev/null || /usr/bin/database >& /dev/null & The command after || will only run if the first command fails (returns non-zero)

scorp123
November 27th, 2007, 02:42 PM
pidof database >& /dev/null || /usr/bin/database >& /dev/null & The command after || will only run if the first command fails (returns non-zero) ... Which is the opposite of
command1 && command2 So command2 will only execute if command1 before it was successful.

(Just for the sake of completeness)