PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu users responsibility regarding viruses

gn2
November 26th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Since a member of the Forum staff didn't like my previous poll, I'll try another.

Let me make this absolutely clear: this poll is purely to discover whether or not users of Ubuntu believe they have a responsibility for checking outbound data for viruses in order to protect Windows PC's from infection.

It is not to determine whether or not there is technically any real risk of transmitting any virus, or to discover whether or not A-V is required for Linux.

clipse
November 26th, 2007, 04:47 PM
People should know how to stay protected. I'm not thier protector.

I have this same belief as ccw holder. People should know how to stay protected. Having a computer, like walking out in public takes responsibility. If people would be responsible for themselves then there would be no reason for this pole.

clipse

Vadi
November 26th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Buh?

I can't care less if someone else runs an OS that's suspectible. They can pay third-party companies to protect them, it's not my job.

Edit: Also I don't quite understand this topic question, so I won't vote. "have responsibility"?

gn2
November 26th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Edit: Also I don't quite understand this topic question, so I won't vote. "have responsibility"?

QUOTE: Responsibility
The state of being responsible, accountable, or answerable, as for a trust, debt, or obligation.

Source: http://www.brainyquote.com/words/re/responsibility212663.html

Game_boy
November 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I can't care less if someone else runs an OS that's susceptible. They can pay third-party companies to protect them, it's not my job.

Yeah, they should switch (for free) if security is a concern.

NovaAesa
November 26th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I think it really depends on the situation. Say for example my grandmother wanted me to find a hardware driver for her and then email it to her. I would have a responsibility to scan the file for viruses before sending it.

But more generally though, I feel no sympathy for those who come begging to me to remove a virus from their system when they in fact have taken no precautions themselves to stop from becomming infected.

Shinbu-Otaku
November 26th, 2007, 05:26 PM
as much as Windows is a virus-conductor, i believe we do have a bit of resposibility to check our attachments etc when sending emails, or posting blogs with links etc. Lets face it, M$ is bound to get viruses anyway, but as a computer-user you have a responsibility to look out for others who may not be as savy as you.

E.g. my mates all use windows (unfortunatly i havent turnt any of them to linux yet lol), so when im going to send them something i do my best to make sure it isn't going to affect there computer, and this is generally just a case of 'did i get any problems....no'.

In conclusion, we have to look out for each other, propreity or not....at least until Bill's pockets become empty hehe

clipse
November 26th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I suppose I should also add, I never email files, and the only links I send are to my own personal websites.

clipse

JBAlaska
November 26th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I like to think I use my computer responsibly, so therefore I feel no Responsibility toward users of a virus prone OS..

That being said, I DO check my system with avast for Linux from time to time and always scan my torrent uploads before posting.

jken146
November 26th, 2007, 06:15 PM
If you're running a mail server, yes. Otherwise, no.

hanzomon4
November 26th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Yes, because who is grandma going to call to fix her broken PC? I say watch out at home so you won't face any potential headaches later. Also what if a virus is affecting you? How would you even know on Ubuntu?

thx11381974
November 26th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Hard poll to answer I voted yes because I think I have some small responsibility for the data leaving my computer for the most part though I have to say no. If I had to pay for antivirus I'd definitely say no.

ticopelp
November 26th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I voted no. I spent a lot of time and hundreds of dollars in software to keep myself virus-free when working with Windows -- anyone who continues to use the operating system should frankly expect to do the same. No one did it for me when I was a Windows user -- I had to learn.

Daveski
November 26th, 2007, 11:41 PM
If you have the means to do so (and don't forget there are free scanners), then yes, you do have a responsibility that data you send out is as risk-free as you are able to make it. Linux users may be at little risk of infection, but can be a carrier of a virus just as much as the next man.

If you are immune to the effects of HIV, but can still transmit it, then you absolutely have a responsibility to help protect others by not wilfully disregarding simple precautions and protection.

If you make data available - i.e. passively rather than actively sending to someone, then I think you still have the responsibility to minimise the risk of virus transmissions.

Billy_McBong
November 27th, 2007, 01:23 AM
i don't take any responsibility for their insecure computers
if they want a secure system Ubuntu is free:)

az
November 27th, 2007, 05:02 PM
MS *chooses* to not close the holes that viruses exploit. Windows has a stable binary interface. If they were to close those holes, it would cost them a lot of money to roll out another binary interface to all their users. Not to mention that it would probably mean that there would be some loss of functionality and be an inconvenience to users.

Since it's their choice, it's not my problem. Someone chose to have Microsoft users scan and remove threats instead of fixing them.

GNU/linux chooses to avoid a stable binary interface and so there is no such problem with viruses.

pedro_cesar
November 27th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I don't think it's a responsibilty indeed, but I do think that we shoud try and keep Window's computers save, because either if we like it or not, Windows is the majority (and I say that as both, a Linux and Vista user), many of the people around us use Windows, and even if we didn't care for the computers themselves, we should at least think in those who don't know as much as we do (not to sound pedantic and been modest), and had nothing to do with their installation, and have even less control in whether their computer is virus-succeptible.