PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't the name "linux" suck for an OS?

Virgofenix
November 26th, 2007, 01:40 PM
With no disrespect to Linus Torvalds, but I can't imagine the whole of humanity running machines with an OS named "linux", no matter how great the OS is. Can you imagine humanity spending the rest of its history using an OS named "linux"? A lot of people can't even say the word properly.

Can't we rename it to something cooler, or at least, sounds more formal? I'd be happy if we just borrow the "Unix" name.

aashay
November 26th, 2007, 01:51 PM
And I thought it was the name of a kernel!!

n3tfury
November 26th, 2007, 01:52 PM
With no disrespect to Linus Torvalds, but I can't imagine the whole of humanity running machines with an OS named "linux", no matter how great the OS is. Can you imagine humanity spending the rest of its history using an OS named "linux"? A lot of people can't even say the word properly.

Can't we rename it to something cooler, or at least, sounds more formal? I'd be happy if we just borrow the "Unix" name.

you have a lot to learn.

ubuntukerala1980
November 26th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Name linux is nice
:guitar:

TBOL3
November 26th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I like linux, but I think ubuntu is a horrible name.

Scarath
WTF?

is the word 'linux' any less formal than 'windows' or 'osx'?

Fbot1
It's pretty much just as fine as any other name.

TameLion
November 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Of all the rants I've ever seen, that one made me laugh the most ever!

SunnyRabbiera
November 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM
well "linux" to the common world means "geeky" to some.
I dont think the name "linux" is bad, after all it is straight to the point: Linux Is Not UniX
its how we promote it that matters.

ticopelp
November 26th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Even if I thought it were a good idea, it's highly unlikely that anyone could get the linux community to decide on a different name at this juncture, much less agree on one. :lolflag:

That's what distro names are for, IMHO.

Nano Geek
November 26th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Linux is not any weirder than other companie's names like Rolex, Wal-Mart, or Costco.

pluviosity
November 26th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Got confused and voted "no" by mistake, thinking the poll question matched the thread title....

argie
November 26th, 2007, 02:37 PM
When I first heard of Macs I thought people meant this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackintosh
I was a kid and read British books and this is what resulted. I mean, come on, raincoat? Anyway, that's mostly off on a tangent and I've associated that sound with the computers now. I think Linux is a cool name.

Besides who decides what OS to run based on the name?!

meborc
November 26th, 2007, 02:40 PM
linux is kernel... ubuntu is a distro name for GNU/Linux operating system...

this thread reminds me of someone asking "how can you promote something to be used in a business company, which is named Dapper Drake or Hoary Hedgehog?"

the answer is that you promote Ubuntu 6.06 (or 5.04)

you have many possibilities what to call your OS... you can call it ubuntu, you can call it gutsy... you can call it GNU/Linux OS... but i have found that to say that to a guy next door will give no results as they will simply not "connect the dots"

so if someone asks me, i alwasy say i run linux... it is not the most correct term, but it at least will give my conversation partner something to go on with :D

jespdj
November 26th, 2007, 03:02 PM
So you think there's something wrong with "Linux" and you think "Unix" is cooler or more formal? I don't get it. Why does "Unix" sound cooler or more formal to you?

n3tfury
November 26th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Got confused and voted "no" by mistake, thinking the poll question matched the thread title....

same. -2

airtonix
November 26th, 2007, 03:08 PM
most amussing.

Ok so while your at it, name few countries you dont like the sound of...
mmm what else? Oh yeah peopl who did things in history...change their names while your at it.

Sounds like you would want to work in the 'ministry of truth'

de_valentin
November 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM
most amussing.

Ok so while your at it, name few countries you dont like the sound of...
mmm what else? Oh yeah peopl who did things in history...change their names while your at it.

Sounds like you would want to work in the 'ministry of truth'

I think this is taking it a bit too far.

But the question (by the op) in itself is not strange.
Rolls Royce once made a car they called 'Silver Mist' because off course it sounds kinda cool. But after a few years they noticed that the sales in german speaking countries were falling behind. So guess what 'Mist' means in german...well it means '****', so what german would want to buy silver **** noone, so they changed it to 'Silver Shadow'. As a result the sales were up again.

So back to 'linux' is there a language in which it sounds or means anything silly or wrong?

By the way I think Linux is a good name

Chilli Bob
November 26th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Linux is a great name. It has a strong sound when spoken, and a very strong visual appeal when used as a logo. (The one with the emperor penguin for the "i" is my fave, though the one with the red italic "i" is good too.) It is no easier to pronounce wrong than many world famous brands (Nestle, Toshiba, Asus, Vaio, Nike, Porsche, Siemens, and Moet are just a few brands that pop to mind that get pronounced differently from place to place)

Frankly, I think it is right up there with "Kodak" as a near perfect product name.

So what if it's a kernel, not really an OS. I'm sorry GNU guys, but in the world of marketing, snappy names win over technical correctness every time.

glupee
November 26th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Yeah dude, that's not cool i did the same thing. Can't go from a negative thread title to a positive poll! People don't go around reading everything, even if it is a forum! :lolflag:

-grubby
November 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM

so did I

Vadi
November 26th, 2007, 04:10 PM
WTF?

is the word 'linux' any less formal than 'windows' or 'osx'?

Quoted for agreement.

And what about "firefox" and "gnome"?

and lastly, who gives a damn about the name? :/

And yes, the poll title/topic question is misleading..

blithen
November 26th, 2007, 04:15 PM
you have a lot to learn.

+1

blithen
November 26th, 2007, 04:15 PM
so did I

Crap! I did too. :/

ukripper
November 26th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Linux sounds kool for kernel. Just like T-800 for Terminator.

Chrisj303
November 26th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I think the word 'Linux' looks good on paper, but ultimately fails as many people are very unsure as to how to pronounce it. I think the Penguin needs ditching as well!

Same with Ubuntu. In fact I don't even think it looks good :( - and I've heard some truly horrorshow pronounciations of that.

The Ubuntu logo is nice though, I think it would be a shame if that was ever binned or heavily altered.

Vadi
November 26th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Dude, no. Tux rocks.

He's somewhat fat though but that's OK. Better than a flag!

ukripper
November 26th, 2007, 04:31 PM
TUX rules!! quiet but in disguise it is dragon

PCMan
November 26th, 2007, 05:11 PM
So you think names like "Doors" is cooler and more normal?
At least "Doors" sounds bigger than "Windows".... Cool?

I think "Linux" is good.

meborc
November 26th, 2007, 05:48 PM
So you think names like "Doors" is cooler and more normal?
At least "Doors" sounds bigger than "Windows".... Cool?

I think "Linux" is good.

i'm afraid the name doors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doors) is already taken
:guitar:

fuscia
November 26th, 2007, 05:49 PM

+1

samwyse
November 26th, 2007, 05:58 PM
The name is fine. Btw, Linus was originally going to call the kernel "Freax", someone else suggested "Linux".

Flyingjester
November 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I Like the name linux... besides microsoft sounds like like a flacid small thing.

Lostincyberspace
November 26th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I like both linux an Ubuntu. I think they sound good.

bastiegast
November 26th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Should the name of a kernel sound cool? Linux is just the name of the kernel, not the name that should be presented to users.

jrusso2
November 26th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I don't understand why the new users always come in and want to change everythng.

They want to get rid of Tux, The name Ubuntu. The filesy stem, the command line interface, Gnome and now Linux name. I am sure I have forgotten a few of the things that I have seen posted here.

Be happy with what you have. Something attracted you here in the first place.

BTW Unix is now a trademeark. So to use that Linux would have to pay a fee and be granted that right like OS X got recently.

LowSky
November 26th, 2007, 08:30 PM
what a misleading poll I meant to Vote YES...BUT I voted NO because i thought this was the question
Doesn't the name "linux" suck for an OS?

turns out i voted on this [quote]Does "linux" sound cool? [/code]

I feel like a year 2000 Florida Voter...

glupee
November 26th, 2007, 08:32 PM
That's it, I demand a recount!
:lolflag:

perce
November 26th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I think the word 'Linux' looks good on paper, but ultimately fails as many people are very unsure as to how to pronounce it.

You're never sure how to pronounce any English word.
You shouldn't blame Linux for that, but the ridiculous twisted pronunciation of English.

Easiness of pronunciation also depends on you mother tongue. Usually
English words are among the hardest for non English native speaker. Pleas stop assuming everybody in the world speaks English with American accent! (This is not personally directed to Chrisj303, but to everybody always complaining "Ubuntu is hard to pronunciate, Linux is hard to pronunciate").

50words
November 26th, 2007, 08:39 PM
You shouldn't blame Linux for that, but the ridiculous twisted pronunciation of English.

Easiness of pronunciation also depends on you mother tongue. Usually
English words are among the hardest for non English native speaker. Pleas stop assuming everybody in the world speaks English with American accent! (This is not personally directed to Chrisj303, but to everybody always complaining "Ubuntu is hard to pronunciate, Linux is hard to pronunciate").

Linux and Ubuntu are English words?

Linux is a made-up word. Ubuntu is from an African language.

Lostincyberspace
November 26th, 2007, 08:43 PM

"Ubuntu is hard to pronunciate, Linux is hard to pronunciate").

first of all both are not really English Ubuntu is Shona (I believe its not that easy to figure out) an Linux is Finnish what Torvalds is not English.

And I don't mean to pick a fight but just trying not to misinform people.

p_quarles
November 26th, 2007, 08:44 PM

I think that perce was referring to the lack of phonetic consistency that English is known for. In other languages, the pronunciation of a given set of letters is more standardized. So, even though Ubuntu and Linux are not "English" words, English-speakers may still attempt to pronounce them based on English phonetics.

anemptygun
November 26th, 2007, 08:48 PM
ha ha it is cool!

bruce89
November 26th, 2007, 08:49 PM
This poll is rigged, I pressed "No" thinking that the question was "Doesn't the name "linux" suck for an OS?".

Linux means Linus's Minix.

perce
November 26th, 2007, 08:57 PM

Exactly, this is why some English speaker don't feel at ease with them.

Tristam Green
November 26th, 2007, 09:00 PM
This poll is rigged, I pressed "No" thinking that the question was "Doesn't the name "linux" suck for an OS?".

Linux means Linus's Minix.

I almost did this myself. Uncool tactics to rig results.

Linux sounds a hell of a lot better than .NET, Vista, and OSX.

tbh, I'll say it also sounds better than UNIX and POSIX even.

akiratheoni
November 26th, 2007, 09:18 PM
IIRC, Windows was named it because it was named after the graphical 'windows' in the GUI. Which if that's true, that's a lot stupider than Linux, which just sounds really cool.

ericesque
November 26th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I was totally confused by the poll results-- a high percentage of 'it sucks' votes. It makes sense having read all of the posts about the deceptive poll. It almost slipped me up too...

cookieforyou
November 26th, 2007, 09:45 PM
South African here BTW. When I tell my African colleagues that I use Ubuntu on my PC they give me a really weird look until I explain :D I think "Linux" and "Ubuntu" (pronounced correctly) are cool.

Erik Trybom
November 26th, 2007, 10:21 PM
well "linux" to the common world means "geeky" to some.
I dont think the name "linux" is bad, after all it is straight to the point: Linux Is Not UniX
its how we promote it that matters.
No, GNU's Not Unix. Linux is just Linux, not an acronym.

Anyway, it hardly matters. You can call your distribution whatever you like, and that's actually exactly what Ubuntu has done. Check out ubuntu.com - Linux is only mentioned once on the front page.

LaRoza
November 26th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I accidently voted "no", because I was answering the title of the thread, not the poll.

Linux is better than any other OS name, they were (are) mostly marketing and acronyms.

xyz
November 26th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I voted no, too instead of yes. Why title the poll differently from the thread's title?

Linux is just very fine by me.

Andrew123123
November 26th, 2007, 11:17 PM
How is the consonant "L" less formal than the vowel "U"? Or am I missing something? Can I see a chart of the formality you associate with each letter?

Chikitulfo
November 26th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Hey,
I find it very nice to call it linux.

But I actually think that it sounds much better in Spanish than in English

So you could learn how to pronounce it in Spanish and if you like it say it that way ;)

Zipster90
November 26th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Linux may sound a little cheesy, but isn't that what makes this OS great? It doesn't give in to marketing pressures or what's "in". It just keeps on doing it's job and doing it well. Now Ubuntu, on the other hand... :wink:

Gordy
November 26th, 2007, 11:39 PM

Linux is a unique name and I like it..

regomodo
seriously. wtbh!

DarkOx
To quote from my marketing class, a brand name should be simple to spell, simple to say, easy to remember, should relate to the product and be distinct. On the basis of that criteria, I'd say Linux is as good a name as any other.

Especially combined with some kind of brand mark like Tux (or the Suse Gecko or the Fedora Hat, or whatever), it also does a good job of making a rather intangible idea more concrete.

I don't know exactly what the OP meant by "for an OS" -- I don't see how "Macintosh" describes an OS any better than "Linux" does -- but from a purely marketing standpoint, I'd say the Linux name is fine.

23meg
November 26th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Can you imagine humanity spending the rest of its history using an OS named "linux"? A lot of people can't even say the word properly.

In case you though "humanity" was made up of native English speakers who are very proficient with language, "a lot of people" also can't even pronounce the word "Windows" properly either. That fact doesn't seem to have stopped them from embracing it as the de facto standard in desktop operating systems.

crisnoh
November 26th, 2007, 11:48 PM
This is completely ridiculous. Setting aside the complete ignorance of the question at hand, I think that naming of things will remain completely irrelevant until the Linux community can finally agree on a single platform. With so many choices available I don't blame the general population for wallowing in the muck and mire of Microsoft. Whether you like it or not, Windows is a work of marketing genius.

Vadi
November 27th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I wouldn't call it genius exactly, if you look at the circumstances as how the market was playing out in the beginning.

It was more like perfect timing.

Billy_McBong
November 27th, 2007, 12:58 AM
This is completely ridiculous. Setting aside the complete ignorance of the question at hand, I think that naming of things will remain completely irrelevant until the Linux community can finally agree on a single platform. With so many choices available I don't blame the general population for wallowing in the muck and mire of Microsoft. Whether you like it or not, Windows is a work of marketing genius.
Linux is about choice there will always be lots of distros(and i see that as a good thing)

on-topic: i like the name Linux, its just as good as the other OS names out there

init1
November 27th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I think Linux is a great name.

Virgofenix
November 27th, 2007, 01:08 AM

You're right. Sorry. Should've considered the title. Can a moderator change the poll or the title and reset the results?

It's not an argument - just a question. "Linux" just doesn't sound right to me; just like how "UNIX" sounds right to me.

gumbi18
November 27th, 2007, 01:16 AM
I think the name linux is fine. In some circles of people saying that you run linux can be considered a badge of honour. But in other groups it is akin to saying "I have an STD".

Seraed
November 27th, 2007, 01:38 AM
You're right. Sorry. Should've considered the title. Can a moderator change the poll or the title and reset the results?

Unfortunately this does not rectify the misdirected "No" votes. The mislead can't take their vote back and fix it. Though, they should have all read it first before blindly clicking.

Brindled
November 27th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Unfortunately this does not rectify the misdirected "No" votes. The mislead can't take their vote back and fix it. Though, they should have all read it first before blindly clicking.
truth

Linuxratty
November 27th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Even if I thought it were a good idea, it's highly unlikely that anyone could get the linux community to decide on a different name at this juncture, much less agree on one. :lolflag:

I like Linux as a name and I like Tux as the mascot...
Just the thought of the whole Linux community trying to rename it though is just a bit unnerving!

Linuxratty
November 27th, 2007, 04:19 AM
When I first heard of Macs I thought people meant this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackintosh
I was a kid and read British books and this is what resulted. I mean, come on, raincoat? !

So the actual apple, as in the ones i bought last week are named after a raincoat!? Who would name a variety of apple or a computer after a raincoat!?

crisnoh
November 27th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Linux is about choice there will always be lots of distros(and i see that as a good thing)

That's a valid thought, and I can understand those who feel that way. My point is that there are too many distros. But that's a discussion for another thread.

multifaceted
November 27th, 2007, 06:12 AM
same. -2

make that 3

IISpII
November 27th, 2007, 06:28 AM
no, it rules, specially the penguin part

ashzoomerintrack
November 27th, 2007, 06:36 AM
The name sets us users apart. One who likes the name is really ready to grasp and get involved in this revolution. The name "ROCKS"

Mr. Picklesworth
November 27th, 2007, 07:35 AM
http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/torvalds-says-linux.ogg

It is settled. (And that's a soft "i" in English, as in "Lin" "ux". Dead easy).

ukripper
November 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Tuxinux

aktiwers
November 27th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I read:
" Doesn't the name "linux" suck for an OS? "

and answer no in the poll.. then I realize that the poll asks the opposite question.. So my answer should have bin yes.

ExpatPaul
November 27th, 2007, 11:36 AM
This is completely ridiculous. Setting aside the complete ignorance of the question at hand, I think that naming of things will remain completely irrelevant until the Linux community can finally agree on a single platform.

A large part of the appeal of Linux, for me, is the fact that it doesn't lock me into a single supplier, or a single desktop or a single way of doing things. I can't see a single Linux platform ever emerging - there are too many people with too many different ideas who are both able and willing to do something about it - and that, I think, is a very good thing indeed.

As for the names, both Linux and Ubuntu are perfectly fine.

Luffield
November 27th, 2007, 12:06 PM
IIRC, Windows was named it because it was named after the graphical 'windows' in the GUI. Which if that's true, that's a lot stupider than Linux, which just sounds really cool.
My thoughts exactly.

Tom Mann
November 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM
lol "Microsoft" sounds like it'd turn the ladies off :P

y6FgBn)~v
November 27th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Of all the rants I've ever seen, that one made me laugh the most ever!

I agree with you. :lolflag:

rulsky
November 27th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I agree with TBOL3 .....LINUX is a cool name but UBUNTU sucks...the majority of the people I know can't say it right.

:popcorn:

ukripper
November 27th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Tricky poll, windows fanboy style

khurrum1990
December 7th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Linux is awesome name for an operating system. Its sounds better than Windows or OS X in my opinion. The name Ubuntu or Kubuntu isn't that good though, but I don't mind.

dimbulb1024
December 7th, 2007, 07:48 PM
And I thought it was the name of a kernel!!

Boom shakalaka ... That's the fact, Jack.

meborc
December 7th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Boom shakalaka *snip*

i think that would be a cool name for OS ... a BOOM-SHAKALAKA OS

fatality_uk
December 7th, 2007, 08:47 PM

The part I like the best is the sig :lolflag:

oldb0y
December 7th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I have no problem with the name Linux, neither do I for Ubuntu.

They both sound great to me.

Vadi
December 7th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I think linux sounds cool enough. It has an x and is longer than an os by the name of "x".

spamzilla
December 7th, 2007, 09:14 PM
As it's probably been said 12034859304 times already ITT, Linux is the name of the kernel. Ubuntu 7.10 aka Gutsy Gibbon is the name of the OS.

amazingtaters
December 7th, 2007, 09:19 PM
0/10 for total lack of effort. Perhaps you need to find somewhere easier to troll first, just so that you can learn the basics...

MRiGnS
December 7th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I got no Problem with both words, even the pronunciation is correct where I live (germany) and where I come from (Italy).

People here can even correctly pronounce SUSE :D

sr20ve
December 7th, 2007, 09:38 PM

Look at your username. I don't really like it. You didn't even spell Phoenix right.

pjkoczan
December 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM

Unix is trademarked, I think it'd be difficult to wrest this away just so the Linux kernel can say "we're Unix, see" (http://www.unix.org/trademark.html).

I think that Linux is a fine name, it's short, to the point, it has a derivation, and it has an 'X'...what more do you want?

Ultimately, I'm not sure about how "formal" an OS name should be, Vista, Tiger, Leopard aren't very formal, codenames and shorthand aren't supposed to be formal. I'd pull my teeth out if I had to explain to people that I run "Ubuntu GNU/Linux version 7.10" instead of "Linux" or "Ubuntu" or "Ubuntu Gutsy." It's the same way that most of my Mac-o-phile friends will use "Leopard" colloquially.

I'd also wonder what would be a better name...Linus Q. Torvalds's fantasmagorical Unix-like operating system (with extra-tasty kernel)?

Anessen
December 7th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Mach.

Nekiruhs
December 7th, 2007, 11:18 PM

Sorry if this has been brought up already in the last 10 pages.
Thats a backronym (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backronym). It really was called Freax, but the guy who was hosting it for him uploaded it as Linux, LInus' uNIX.

hvac3901
December 7th, 2007, 11:34 PM
name it after the penguin TUX

Bruce M.
December 8th, 2007, 12:49 AM

Really! I didn't know that. With a little imagination I can see the whole world using Linux.

Linux is a great name!

Let's see, next it will be Ford, Braun, Eatons. Where does it stop? George Orwell's "1994" comes to mind! Big Brother is Watching!

Linux is a great name!

Linux is not any weirder than other companies names like Rolex, Wal-Mart, or Costco.

Couldn't agree more!

Linux is a great name!

My mouse was poised over the "No", when I did a double take of the poll question and the thread heading. So I clicked on Yes.

Oh and did I mention: Linux is a great name! :lolflag:

ZylGadis
December 8th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Linux is the name of the kernel. A kernel is just a small portion of an operating system, and it is arguable how important it is (whether you come from the low or the high end). It is difficult to name an OS that has all kinds of software from all kinds of sources. GNU/Linux is a nice name for the command-line version of it, but GNU/Linux/X/Gnome/Firefox/... is not so good a name for the graphical version. That is why a correct name for what you use would simply be Ubuntu [some version].

By the way, GNU stands for GNU is Not Unix. The attempt to backport "Linux" to something similar (a super-cool recursive acronym) is pathetic. This was addressed in a previous post, but still, it is amazing how impertinent/ignorant some people can be.

Now continue the pointless rants.

Snakob808
December 8th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Linux is a great name, I don't know where you got that it isn't "cool," and besides, "cool" is not in a name, my friend. Maybe it's not cool amongst the same people who listen to Dave Matthews and Widespread Panic... I don't know... whatever, nevermind...

adam.tropics
December 8th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Let's see, next it will be Ford, Braun, Eatons. Where does it stop? George Orwell's "1994" comes to mind! Big Brother is Watching!

Lost a decade, think you mean 1984.

As for the name Linux. Like it.

master_kernel
December 8th, 2007, 03:21 AM
It's an ok name, I admit it could have been better (like Mac). But it sure beats the hell out of Windows. :D

matthewcraig
December 8th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Microsoft (and to some degree over ambitious technologists) have done a good job tarnishing the word "Linux". You mention Linux to people these days and they instantly have all sorts of images flash into their head. You can see them close you out: the arms cross, the eyes lose focus, and the neck gets stiff. I use the word "Ubuntu" instead. I never say the word Linux.

Vadi
December 8th, 2007, 03:52 AM
What's so good about uhh... apples... and a brand of them?

And yes, I'll agree with the above poster. However Linux, thanks to Compiz, is becoming hip among the young generation and it'll surely go up from there.

suziequzie
December 8th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Ahhhg, I just clicked NO by accident. I meant to click yes. I answered the thread title "Doesn't the name Linux suck" as NO, I don't think it sucks. I didn't see that the poll had the same concept but backwards.

Likes the word Linux.

ImpressMe
December 9th, 2007, 05:47 PM

It is a horrible name, only "Ubuntu" is worse. But oh no... now you have probably upset thousands of fanboys who firmly believes that cute cuddly animals represents ... lines of code. After trying to figure out what the heck Ubuntu means and why someone will call anything for UBUNTU, then potential costumers will wonder if it is a game for kids when they see the penguin.

Whatever open source guys are good at... they just suck at marketing.

meborc
December 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM
It is a horrible name, only "Ubuntu" is worse. But oh no... now you have probably upset thousands of fanboys who firmly believes that cute cuddly animals represents ... lines of code. After trying to figure out what the heck Ubuntu means and why someone will call anything for UBUNTU, then potential costumers will wonder if it is a game for kids when they see the penguin.

if you are such a smart *** then please, give some examples what a gnu/linux distro should be named?

and WHY is it important what we call the kernel? (linux!=distro)

:D

BuffaloX
December 9th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Oooops, so did I. :lolflag:

I would never have noticed, except the poll result surprised me a little.

Bruce M.
December 10th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Lost a decade, think you mean 1984.

As for the name Linux. Like it.

Oopps! I goofed, you're right. Guess it means Big Brother has been watching for ten years longer than I imagined.

{looking over shoulder} :lolflag:

DarkOx
December 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM
But oh no... now you have probably upset thousands of fanboys who firmly believes that cute cuddly animals represents ... lines of code.

Is there any particular reason a cute cuddly animal can't represent lines of code? Cute, cuddly animals have been successfully representing hard-to-visualize concepts for ages now. The Aflac duck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflac#Aflac_duck) and Geico gecko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geico#The_GEICO_gecko) spring to mind in the realm of insurance. Both those mascots have as much to do with insurance as Tux does to code, but that hasn't stopped them from being successful representations.

angry_johnnie
January 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM
what's in a name?

Methuselah
January 14th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I have no problem with linux.

Microsoft names are pretty poor:

Windows,
Vista,
.NET

Try searching for those are you'll get countless irrelevant links.

paintba||er
January 14th, 2008, 09:04 AM

I did that as well. -_-

But I don't see anything wrong with the name Linux. It sounds better than Windows or Mac (even though I prefer Macs) IMO.

Paqman
January 14th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Well, I voted 'no'. I don't think it's a particularly good name. It's routinely mispronounced, and has a kind of limp sound to it, IMO. Ubuntu is a nicer word to say, but is even worse for being mispronounced.

Having said that, most OSes have bad names. They range from boring (OS/2) to obscure (BSD) to silly (Windows)

snakeeyes
January 14th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Linux does sound good, but seriously who thinks Ubuntu or Kubuntu sounds cool?

bufsabre666
January 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM
doesnt matter no one uses straight linux, you use ubuntu fedora slackware arch puppy dsl etc etc

Christmas
January 14th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Actually I like the name 'Linux' a lot. Among names which I also think to sound 'nice' are Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, Red Hat and probably some more. I don't like how Kubuntu or Xubuntu sounds, never did.

xpod
January 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I`m with this guy.....

I think that Linux is a fine name, it's short, to the point, it has a derivation, and it has an 'X'...what more do you want?

Although i`ll pass on voting me thinks.
If names and/or mascots changed now though then i`d have to sack my two little penguins i have up there,besides the monkey.Plus i`d need to order some new stickers..

I cant be having that.
Leave well alone i say.:???:

Praadur
January 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Linux does sound good, but seriously who thinks Ubuntu or Kubuntu sounds cool?

The word Ubuntu has real meaning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy)) to it.

It's a word that envisions a community spirit, and promotes an egalitarian atmosphere, where the many are allowed to be free providing that that freedom does not infringe upon that of others. That's almost the very basis of FOSS, and it's almost as if they'd named my computer's software-o'-choice AnarchismOS.

And from where I stand, that's bloody marvellous.

So I happen to think that Ubuntu is an awesome name, yes indeed. Though admittedly my view of that is somewhat off-kilter when compared to the mainstream.

snakeeyes
January 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM
The word Ubuntu has real meaning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy)) to it.

It's a word that envisions a community spirit, and promotes an egalitarian atmosphere, where the many are allowed to be free providing that that freedom does not infringe upon that of others. That's almost the very basis of FOSS, and it's almost as if they'd named my computer's software-o'-choice AnarchismOS.

And from where I stand, that's bloody marvellous.

So I happen to think that Ubuntu is an awesome name, yes indeed. Though admittedly my view of that is somewhat off-kilter when compared to the mainstream.
So what if the word Ubuntu has a meaning to it, its a horrible name for an OS. Seriously they should have kept a name which sounded good, how does Ubuntu or Kubuntu sound in front of Windows or OS X? Atleast these names sound good, Linux sounds good as well. Ubuntu sounds horrible, u might be the only one who cares about what it means, the OS should have been called something that grabs your interest, Ubuntu and Kubuntu or Xubuntu sound lame. This is not just my opinion, but a majority of people I talk to about this subject say the same thing.

matthew
January 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM
It's generally against my personal policy to feed trolls, but I'll bite this time.

I think that anyone who is capable of writing an operating system kernel has earned the right to call it whatever they want to call it, whether anyone else likes it or not. Also, anyone capable or creating their own distribution should have the same privilege.

Praadur
January 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM
That was a good point, matthew. A rose by any other name, eh?

So what if the word Ubuntu has a meaning to it, its a horrible name for an OS. Seriously they should have kept a name which sounded good, how does Ubuntu or Kubuntu sound in front of Windows or OS X? Atleast these names sound good, Linux sounds good as well. Ubuntu sounds horrible, u might be the only one who cares about what it means, the OS should have been called something that grabs your interest, Ubuntu and Kubuntu or Xubuntu sound lame. This is not just my opinion, but a majority of people I talk to about this subject say the same thing.

I think I'm beginning to catch on here, you're not talking about the worth of a name but the marketability of it, I think?

After all, if I may speak subjectively I'd have to say that I find the name 'Windows' as dull as dishwater and not very inspiring at all, OS X is nothing more than a bunch of letters to me and it doesn't seem to have any more significance than KL Q (as an example), and whenever I hear the name 'Mac' I tend to think of burgers.

Once again, from a subjective standpoint, a name with meaning is one I'd want to say frequently. Why would I want to say a word that has no meaning to me whatsoever anyway, to what end would I do such a thing? That'd be like trying to elevate the word 'trousers' to a point where I could attribute some special inner-meaning to it.

Now to consider my first paragraph: Marketability. This isn't really having a name that sounds good more than it is about having something that's simple to understand and is short, usually this means that the marketing company in question can work more on presentation, elevating the short name or arbitrary letters by polishing up everything around it.

A few examples of this would be: 95, 98, Me, XP, OS X, and Vista.

If I understand correctly, what you're saying is that you want a short word, one that you can say quickly, and one that can be all about presentation as opposed to meaning. If a short word is given a shiny marketing campaign then just about anything can sound good to the end-user, including KL Q. KL Q is easy to say and it could be presented in a nice, shiny font so people think 'shiny' when they think of KL Q.

To that end, perhaps a better distro name for marketability would be something like Lux. It carries the geeky meaning of the Linux kernel to a degree but it also follows the marketability standards of the OS of today.

Of course, if a name were marketable then it wouldn't really have half as much meaning and I wouldn't enjoy saying it nearly as much, so I'm happy with Ubuntu as it is. I like Ubuntu, but I'm not so sure I'd really like saying Lux on a day to day basis instead. So at the end of the day... to each their own?

snakeeyes
January 14th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I agree and by the way Linux Torvalds wanted to name the kernel Freeax or something but then someone else, don't know the whole story changed the name to Linux. Linux is a great name, but Ubuntu wasn't made by just one person, it was made by a group of people. The point is simple everyone I have ever talked to says the name Ubuntu sucks, its only a few people who actually like it.

snakeeyes
January 14th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah I agree to each their own. All I am saying is that an OS called Ubuntu sounds very weird and dull, even though OS X is a short name, it still looks elegant whether or not it has a special meaning. This isn't just my view, many people on these forums think the same thing.

Praadur
January 14th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Citing 'many people' isn't exactly fair to me in this debate as the only thing that I know for sure is that I think what I think, as I've never seen two brains that're exactly alike. People will have their preferences for whatever reason, as for which way the wind blows and in what quantity (or quality)... I dare not estimate.

You do have a point though when it comes to the end-user, as opposed to the pseudo-philosophical nutcases like myself. A name like Canonical Lux (or even Canonical Cannon, just for the fun of it) is probably going to jump off the shelf and grab the attention of the everyday folk more than a name like Ubuntu would.

Lux would have the 'cool' element, being a short, sweet, and gutteral word. Whereas people might be confused by Ubuntu, as it']s name appears to be of African descent and culture is something I rarely see on the shop shelves of anything other than a book store.

I personally love the name Ubuntu though and it's what I'd want to call this OS until the end of days, so it really does just depend on how one's brain is wired and which audience the OS in particular is trying to pull in. I think it's a really intelligent name and I appreciate Mark Shuttleworth for respecting the intelligence of myself and other Ubuntu users by picking such a name.

mccorkle
January 14th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Hmm. Ubuntu is an african word, so if you were african, you'd probably like it better. As for Linux, Linus is from Iceland isn't he? He did borrow the sound of the "Unix" name, but injected his own Lin into it.

As for a name, I agree with the few posts about distros. If you want a friendly named distro, you never have to tell people you are running Linux under the hood in your marketing. Take a look at Nokia's N series phones for a good example. You will notice that the newest devices don't call them selves Nokia Linux N810s, nor are the OLPCs called OLPC Linux or something silly like that. You can "brand" Linux all day, as long as you give credit to Linus and all the other contributors where credit is due.

As for the Linux name, I'd like a distro named a single letter, or at least one syllable. Something like Zed, but more formal. Maybe with more "solid" sounds. Not sure. Ask your local wordsmith for a solid, quick, easy name, then create your own distro and tell us about it here.

Praadur
January 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Hm... thinking about it, I'm a fan of onomatopoeia, so my vote would be for Pow. I also just realised that Thunk has a certain ironic appeal to it.

Anyway, this'll be the last irreverance from me on this topic for a while, I've posted in this thread far too much already, it'll border on spam if I keep this up.

dgray_from_dc
January 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Linux is cool. What's funny is using the full name GNU/Linux (pronounced guhnoo linux). Reminds me of the Flintstones character The Great Guzoo.

FriedChips
January 14th, 2008, 05:42 PM
WE COULD CALL IT
OOCHIE-WALLA-WALLA-BING-BANG-POW
!!!!!!!!
that's got a certain ring to it right?
or maybe
ZIFF...
DOORS???
THE GREAT BAMBINO?

Whatever you call it I would use it.
hip? hip hop? hip-hop-anonymous?

Christmas
January 14th, 2008, 06:20 PM
For the persons that say 'Ubuntu' doesn't sound good: I think that actually the name matters less when you get used to it. For example I happened to hear software names for the first time and thought they sound awful, but once I got used to the software I automatically associated the name with what it does and the name started to sound 'normal' and familiar.

Hmm. Ubuntu is an african word, so if you were african, you'd probably like it better. As for Linux, Linus is from Iceland isn't he? He did borrow the sound of the "Unix" name, but injected his own Lin into it.
As far as I know, Linus is from Finland.

lespaul_rentals
January 14th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I think the Penguin needs ditching as well!

Wow, I think that is the worst thing I've ever heard. Don't diss Tux, he is awesome.

If Linux were Christianity, you pretty much just spit on Jesus.

maybeway36
January 14th, 2008, 07:03 PM
It's not as bad as "guh-noo." As silly as it sounds, naming is a huge obstacle to open-source adoption. The people behind Mozilla seem to have understood this by calling their software Firefox and Thunderbird. So cool-sounding!

lespaul_rentals
January 14th, 2008, 07:05 PM
As for Linux, Linus is from Iceland isn't he? He did borrow the sound of the "Unix" name, but injected his own Lin into it.

No, he's from Finland. And that's not how the name Linux came about. The kernel was orginally called Minux, but Linus Torvald's friend who hosted it on a server put it in a folder called Linux as a little pun/joke. The name stuck.

Eddie Wilson
January 14th, 2008, 08:26 PM
You all think that Linux or Ubuntu sounds bad? Look at this list.

OpenSuse
gNewSense
Gentoo
Debian
PCLinuxOS
Slackware
SLAX
Frugalware
FreeNAS
Pentoo
Windows

And there are many more names that only sounds good to the user. Its also personal preference or local preference. I'll show you what I mean. I like OS9/Level 2.

Eddie

Christmas
January 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Yeah I remember a thread in which was discussed how to pronounce 'SuSe' correctly. And (IIRC) it was pronounced 'Zoozah'.

Æniad
January 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Compared to names like OS X, Windows and BSD?

MONODA
January 24th, 2008, 04:05 PM
linux is the name of the kernel. The name of the future windows kernel is minwin which is a lot worse IMHO.

MONODA
January 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM
No, he's from Finland. And that's not how the name Linux came about. The kernel was orginally called Minux, but Linus Torvald's friend who hosted it on a server put it in a folder called Linux as a little pun/joke. The name stuck.
actually minix is what Linus started out with and developed what we know today as the Linux kernel. The original name for it was Freax which is by far much worse than Linux IMO.

Rhubarb
January 24th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I like anything with recursive acronyms and other humourus names.
Personally I think Beryl, etherape and gnusense are quite funny names :)

Mithrilhall
January 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Got me as well.

I personally like Linux much more than Windows, Door, Curtains.....

SeanHodges
January 24th, 2008, 05:43 PM
So to sum up:

1. Linux is not the name of an Operating System, it's the name of a kernel.

2. The marketing term "Linux" was not decided by any one person/group, it grew from high-profile references over time. Same as the term "hacker" for crackers.

3. "Doesn't the name "linux" suck for an OS?" does not equate to "Does Linux sound cool?". The poll is misleading and doesn't really match the subject of the thread.

4. Why does an Operating System name have to sound cool anyway?

jstableford
February 1st, 2008, 02:53 AM

Too geeky?

Let me introduce you, my friend, to OS2/Warp.

steveneddy
February 1st, 2008, 03:08 AM
Hey, your village called.........

gjoellee
August 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM
everything can beat something named "Windows"...here is the picture I get in my head when I think about the name: (windows break to easily...)
http://www.fee.org/publications/notes/notes/Broken%20Window.jpg
when I think about Mac: (ehhhhhh)
http://www.toon-flux.com/images/Fosters-Home-Mac.png

when i think about Linux: (...)
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_NqbJHsbc1gI/RkXnJaWZ-6I/AAAAAAAAAFw/tsfCOVbvT2M/C:%5CDocuments+and+Settings%5Cyoe31.YONEARTH%5CDes ktop%5Cnitin%5CLinus+Torvalds.jpg

when i think UNIX which Linux and Mac is based on: (beautiful)
http://www.digitaldesktopwallpaper.com/wallpapers/space/earth_012_1024.jpg

ryaxnb
August 8th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Freax sucks. Windows sucks. Interface Manager Sucks ***. :lolflag: (google it) System is kind of vague. (old mac software) Mac OS X is weird. OS/2 implies connection to PS/2. All names have their faults. IMHO, Linux is one of the best names out there.

lukjad007
August 8th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Linux is a name. Linux if THE name. Linux is Linux. It doesn't sound like Windows. Good enough for me. ;)

Canis familiaris
August 8th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I think AnuragX would be a great name instead of Linux. :lolflag:

RiceMonster
August 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Linux sounds just fine. I never thought it sounded bad or good. Now Unix; that's a really good name IMO. Makes it sound powerful and robust.

Canis familiaris
August 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Now Unix; that's a really good name IMO. Makes it sound powerful and robust.
Actually it sounds powerful and robust because IT IS INDEED powerful and robust. :) (such assumptions get built itself in our pysche)

RiceMonster
August 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Haha, well of course. However, that's what I thought the first time I heard that name, and I didn't know what it was at the time.

Canis familiaris
August 8th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Haha, well of course. However, that's what I thought the first time I heard that name, and I didn't know what it was at the time.

Same for me though. But I think that was more to do with those "geeky" looking Unix manuals I tried to read without success as a 5 year old.

Xanatos Craven
August 8th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Linux sounds just fine. I never thought it sounded bad or good. Now Unix; that's a really good name IMO. Makes it sound powerful and robust.
Gonna have to disagree about Unix. If it weren't for the reputation Unix has, the name would make me think Unix systems are castrated.

STG_Fridays
August 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I would like to use the cliche of "What's in a name?" Even if Windows was called "Super Mega Ultra Godzilla Jesus Burrito Ulimate Edition." It would still be Windows at it's core.

trmanco
August 9th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Linux is an exelent name, I've converted people to Ubuntu who never heard that word nor the word Linux and they pronouce it very well :)

articpenguin
August 11th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I like the name linux. But the name Gnu/Linux really annoys me just like richard stallman

lisati
August 11th, 2008, 02:13 AM

How about a translation of the word Ubuntu?:confused:

Sporkman
August 11th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Linsux
Winblows
BS-Brie (for cheese-eating snobs)
Sol-scare-us

(ok, I'm really reaching at this point... :) )

pluviosity
August 11th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Now Unix; that's a really good name IMO. Makes it sound powerful and robust.

Unix is an OK name, but it does not sound powerful or robust to me. It reminds me of men who instead have had their power and robustness removed :(

geogur
August 11th, 2008, 02:31 AM
don`t change the name we are finally getting somewhere with the popularity of the name what we need are less distros and work together under a unified hackers os. thats what brought me to linux and i am not liking the splintering off of tallent linux rocks as a name it always has and i think should stay our name . i want to see linux the worlds os make it so do your part.

Giant Speck
August 11th, 2008, 03:52 AM
I don't know.... while I don't think Linux is a bad name, there just is a lower level of creativity that comes with it's creation.

I mean look at Windows. Windows was created by Bill Gates. Both gate and window refer to openings.

Gates → Windows

Macintosh is created by Apple. Macintosh is a type of apple.

Apple → Macintosh

Linux... well, Linux is just Linus Torvalds' first name slapped onto Unix.

Linus and Unix → Linux

All in all, it sounds cool, but not creative.

koji042
August 11th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Never really thought about the names of operating systems. But Linux sounds like a pretty good name to me. It's easy to say and remember. I like the x though, gives it that "x" feeling, whatever it is. :)

quinnten83
August 11th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I would like to use the cliche of "What's in a name?" Even if Windows was called "Super Mega Ultra Godzilla Jesus Burrito Ulimate Edition." It would still be Windows at it's core.

Isn't that the $500 version of Vista?

EDIT: of course you have to read this link (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/2/2/) now:
http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/2/2/

Lexicon101
August 11th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Linux is a great name. It has a strong sound when spoken, and a very strong visual appeal when used as a logo. (The one with the emperor penguin for the "i" is my fave, though the one with the red italic "i" is good too.) It is no easier to pronounce wrong than many world famous brands (Nestle, Toshiba, Asus, Vaio, Nike, Porsche, Siemens, and Moet are just a few brands that pop to mind that get pronounced differently from place to place)

Frankly, I think it is right up there with "Kodak" as a near perfect product name.

So what if it's a kernel, not really an OS. I'm sorry GNU guys, but in the world of marketing, snappy names win over technical correctness every time.

Haha. Siemens. I think the Linux kernel should be renamed to that. Just to prove the point that Linux isn't so bad a name. Also, because people would laugh. When people laugh, the world is a more merry place.

null byte
August 11th, 2008, 08:46 PM
For me it sounds perfectly.

For some reason, I find Microsoft's OS name weird, Windows... let's clean them up!

Also, Mac OSX. That OSX, maybe I don't know to pronounce it, but I read it:

mac o-sex

So, no, Linux doesn't suck. Is perfect :)

Canis familiaris
August 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM
For me it sounds perfectly.

For some reason, I find Microsoft's OS name weird, Windows... let's clean them up!

Also, Mac OSX. That OSX, maybe I don't know to pronounce it, but I read it:

mac o-sex

So, no, Linux doesn't suck. Is perfect :)

:lolflag:

But actually Mac OS X is pronounced as Mac OS "ten". Sounds even more horrible.
Just like in Ubuntu they prefer calling it ny code names.

lyceum
August 14th, 2008, 03:31 AM
and i thought it was the name of a kernel!!

+1

starcannon
August 14th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Everything has to be labeled, and Linux is as good a moniker as any. I never liked the word rice, I like to eat the grain, but never liked the name. /shrug, couldn't we just call it "tasty grain"?

KWM987
August 14th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I think naming your OS after a house fixture is worse.

nickgaydos
August 14th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I like the name Linux. I think it's unique. Macintosh and Windows don't see too unique to me.

nickgaydos
August 14th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Isn't that the $500 version of Vista?

EDIT: of course you have to read this link (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/2/2/) now:
http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/2/2/
Lol.

todak
August 14th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Why isn't "Windows" called "fensters" in Germany? :lolflag:

Lacrimstein
August 14th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Any word that ends in an "x" is cool

E-mol
August 14th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I really love the name linux :)
And like the meaning of Ubuntu, even tho it reminds me of hanna mutanna (or how it is written) ;) :)

Keep Love
E-mol

fela
March 25th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Well if Linux isn't 'serious' enough then what is windows? and macintosh? lol. You have a lot to learn buddy.

suitedaces
March 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I find most brand names sound odd if you say them often enough.

FraggedLocust
March 25th, 2009, 06:17 PM
so if someone asks me, i alwasy say i run linux... it is not the most correct term, but it at least will give my conversation partner something to go on with :D

Same here. I say Ubuntu, and they usually have no idea. When I mention Linux and they don't understand, that's when I think I need to get out my un-brainwashing kit. ;)

Sporkman
March 25th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Any word that ends in an "x" is cool

True, even for uncool things:

Spandex (only uncool on males)
Pox
Styx (So-so band)
Lox
Borax

KCG102282
March 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Styx (So-so band)

Thats giving them more credit then they deserve :D

Lunx
March 26th, 2009, 01:20 AM
. After trying to figure out what the heck Ubuntu means and why someone will call anything for UBUNTU, then potential costumers will wonder if it is a game for kids when they see the penguin.

Perhaps they should come up with a "talking" paper clip then, just so it's a little more "adult"...:wink:

Giant Speck
March 26th, 2009, 06:08 PM
True, even for uncool things:

Spandex (only uncool on males)
Pox
Styx (So-so band)
Lox
Borax

Kleenex
Chlorox

Lunx
March 27th, 2009, 04:54 AM