PDA

View Full Version : Microsofts Linux hate page

IISpII
November 26th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Has anybody seen this. its m$'s Linux 'Hate site'. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when i red it

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/compare/default.mspx (main site)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/compare/compare_linux.mspx (linux - M$ compare site)

sorry if this is a repost, i couldent find it so id thought id post it

-grubby
November 26th, 2007, 04:00 AM
been there a while now.

n3tfury
November 26th, 2007, 04:04 AM
as said before - looks like an advertisement to me.

inversekinetix
November 26th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Has anybody seen this. its m$'s Linux 'Hate site'. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when i red it

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/compare/default.mspx (main site)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/compare/compare_linux.mspx (linux - M$ compare site)

sorry if this is a repost, i couldent find it so id thought id post it

It makes valid points doesnt it,

theres a big difference between a single user with old hardware wanting to run ubuntu and a corporation looking for a comprehensive IT solution.

DoctorMO
November 26th, 2007, 05:16 AM

Does it? sorry I have bull faeces blinkers and that webpage was just all black.

theres a big difference between a single user with old hardware wanting to run ubuntu and a corporation looking for a comprehensive IT solution.

Indeed there is, and this is exactly why windows just isn't a good solution; no wait it's the fact that you don't want your infrastructure to be governed and controlled by an external and unpredictable American company. That would be why you wouldn't use windows in the enterprise.

Lostincyberspace
November 26th, 2007, 05:41 AM

Yup one has lots of money the other doesn't. Google use Linux and they are generally considered to be at the top in use of # of servers at least in the USA.

PurposeOfReason
November 26th, 2007, 05:44 AM
They actually used this, those (insert word)

"
NCsoft
“We directly compared Windows Server with Linux. Windows Server 2003 provided not only reliability…but also development productivity in a 64-bit environment. It was an easy choice to make.”
— Kwak, Soon-wook, NCsoft Dir./Chief of Publishing Unit "

corney91
November 26th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Ha, I like this bit:

In one study conducted by Security Innovations, researchers found that all of the Linux administrators made changes to components of the operating system that would have violated the support agreement with the Linux vendor.

Reminds me of something, can't think what though:confused:
:lolflag:

panaretos22
November 26th, 2007, 11:37 AM
i didnt undrstand on think .Linux os in server is absolutely free if you build your own server and if you rent it is approximently 20 dollars in addition.Windows lame server start from 1100 dollars and an extra cost for database ....so Bill go home

Scarath
November 26th, 2007, 11:45 AM
In realistic studies where IT administrators are required to install patches, security updates, and make functional changes to IT systems, Linux administrators have used a wide variety of management tools and processes.

Yeah because Admin using windows just have a big red button on the keyboard that says "fix".
sounds like M$ is actually suggesting admin doing a bit of work is a bad thing?

What a classic wob-site.

n3tfury
November 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM

don't bother. most that haven't been on the business side of IT on a large scale are like talking to a brick wall.

Nunu
November 26th, 2007, 01:54 PM
And then the MS fan boys gets upset about us ragging Microsucks Winflaws, Winflaws 98 service packs, Winflaws XPerimental or Winflaws Fixta... I haven't seen a Linux home page ragging Microshaft like that.

Gotta love it

I think i will give them a 7 out of 10... but only for effort.

n3tfury
November 26th, 2007, 02:02 PM
And then the MS fan boys gets upset about us ragging Microsucks Winflaws, Winflaws 98 service packs, Winflaws XPerimental or Winflaws Fixta... I haven't seen a Linux home page ragging Microshaft like that.

Gotta love it

boring.

ubuntoy
November 26th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Gotta love it

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1081/ge7151va1.jpg

Careful you are hitting someones nerves.

ticopelp
November 26th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Yeah because Admin using windows just have a big red button on the keyboard that says "fix".
sounds like M$ is actually suggesting admin doing a bit of work is a bad thing?

Having used IIS in the past, I think that's actually very close to the Windows network admin experience -- except of course that the "fix" button doesn't work.

bobbocanfly
November 26th, 2007, 06:18 PM
That page is hilarious and infuriating at the same time.

How they can even start to think Windows is more secure than Linux. They base this fact on the amount of published vulnerabilities. Just because a vulnerability isnt published doesnt mean its not there and how many Linux worms have you seen recently?

Insanity.

Sp4cedOut
November 26th, 2007, 07:33 PM
It's just an advertisement.

arsenic23
November 26th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I think I read the study that page is based on. If I remember correctly, they basically gave 8 admins a task, 4 Microsoft guys and 4 Linux guys. The task already had a Windows solution, but had no published Linux/Unix fix. They gave them something around 30 hours to complete the task. They then said that 3/4 of the Linux guys completed the task, but that it sucked that they all used different solutions. 4/4 of the Microsoft admins completed the task, all using the same solution.

The great part is that the independent company came right out and stated that the data generated by the study should not be used to compare Windows to Linux, but that the study was intended as a foundation for a new method of comparing business solutions.

bruce89
November 26th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Evidentally they've never heard of Debian. (Red Hat, SLED you have to pay for)

icechen1
November 26th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I wonder why Microsoft don't have a Mac hate page?

forrestcupp
November 26th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Well of course Microsoft is going to have a web page devoted to attempting to prove that their server product is better than their biggest competitor. I'm not saying that Windows servers are better, but you have to admit that support for enterprise versions of Linux is very expensive.

One thing I have noticed about Linux servers is that you can't use ASP with them.

_sAm_
November 26th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Hmm, I wonder why Peugeot Citroën(Europe) will shift 20 000 of its 70 000(windows) computers now to Suse Linux Enterprise, and also 2500 servers will be running Suse Linux Enterprise…

It’s so funny they don’t have a "ms vs Mac site", I think that tells alot.

klange
November 26th, 2007, 11:40 PM
One thing I have noticed about Linux servers is that you can't use ASP with them.
http://www.apache-asp.org/index.html
Not quite the hole ASP.net thing, but close enough. Also, ASP is notoriously slow and though it provides a lot of features, so does Python (Python active web pages are fun :) ), and there is of course PHP.

EDIT: Almost forgot about Mono's ASP.net implementation! (http://www.mono-project.com/ASP.NET)