PDA

View Full Version : "If it's free it can't be good" and other stupid quotes from Linux haters.

sajro
November 26th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I am bored. So, here I am with nothing better to do, posting a thread about stupid people who hate Linux and Open Source for dumb reasons.

Just post your stories and quotes from people who don't get it. They just don't understand and think that it is just wrong if they don't agree with it.

I'll start off: I know a guy (wow, I'm so special). This guy runs Vista and has so far had no problems with it (yeah, since his dad does all the maintenance, he just plays WoW). He's always coming up with reasons Linux isn't good, all of which I shoot down.

My favorite one was "If it's free it can't be good!" So, after laughing for 5 minutes. Then laughing some more... I came up with an analogy for him so he could understand it.

I told him: If I gave you tickets to a Green Day (his favorite band) concert for free, and you went, would the quality of the concert be any different because I gave you the tickets free? Would it be less enjoyable?

And, since he's just stubborn, not stupid, he replied "Well, no."

So I went on: If you went to the premier of say, Catwoman when it was released, and bought $10 tickets, would that make the movie suck any less? Would it make it a good movie?

Him: "No, Catwoman would still suck."

Me: So what you're saying is that just because you didn't pay for it, it wasn't any less good, and the one you DID pay for wasn't [necessarily] better?

Him: "Yeah that's what I'm saying."

Me: So if Linux was a Green Day concert you got free tickets to and Microsoft was a Catwoman premier you paid too much for...

Him: "Okay, you suck. You really suck. How the heck did you make me disprove myself?"

Me: Never come to a battle of wits unarmed, or you'll get teamkilled.

So, share your stories!

-grubby
November 26th, 2007, 02:36 AM
duplicate thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=528687&page=1)

n3tfury
November 26th, 2007, 02:37 AM
eye liek py

sajro
November 26th, 2007, 02:41 AM
duplicate thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=528687&page=1)

That one's about GIVING UP on Linux. This is about stupid reasons why people wouldn't try using linux/OSS in the first place. But thanks for the funny read.

Fbot1
November 26th, 2007, 03:03 AM
I should make a thread about people who like Linux to the point of irrationality.

Blutack
November 26th, 2007, 03:14 AM
"My ex boyfriend was called Ubuntu, it just brings back bad memories."

HermanAB
November 26th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Well, there is always the sex analogy - free versus paid for...

n3tfury
November 26th, 2007, 03:45 AM
I should make a thread about people who like Linux to the point of irrationality.

except that thread will get moved to the backyard for no good reason. reported by zealots i'm sure.

inversekinetix
November 26th, 2007, 04:59 AM
I knew a user who had been on windows for years and was looking for a change. He didn't want to use a mac after seeing all the commercials and men in apple store wearing shirts 3 sizes to small. He started looking around the internet for alternatives, eventually coming upon these forums. He told me he would never use linux because he didnt like the incessant bashing of windows nor the zealot like attacks on people who have just tried to use linux and have had problems.

The final straw was reading that he might become one of the

stupid people who hate Linux and Open Source for dumb reasons.

because it was new and unfamiliar to him.

Similarly, if his opinion differed to linux users he didn't want to be thought of like

They just don't understand and think that it is just wrong if they don't agree with it.

I totally understand where he's coming from.

DoctorMO
November 26th, 2007, 05:21 AM
He told me he would never use linux because he didnt like the incessant bashing of windows nor the zealot like attacks on people who have just tried to use linux and have had problems.

Well apart from the fact that this forum is quite tame, the community is one of the most balanced and this software some of the better engineered. Your friend is obviously stuborn, looking for problems where there are none and I believe you sir are a troll.

either that or i don't understand what you are saying (english syntax errors)

Fbot1
November 26th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Well apart from the fact that this forum is quite tame, the community is one of the most balanced and this software some of the better engineered. Your friend is obviously stuborn, looking for problems where there are none and I believe you sir are a troll.

Wow, way to jump to conclusions.

Lostincyberspace
November 26th, 2007, 05:59 AM
I've got one.
"I dont like it."
"Have you tried it."
"No, I don't need too."

inversekinetix
November 26th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Thanks! Firstly, please don't call me a troll, if you don't like what I say then by all means ignore me, failing that use the report button. Secondly, if my English isn't sufficient I could write in japanese, but that wouldn't be helpful for many people. My friend is far from stubborn (something I can attest to being as I have actually met the person) and I simply related his experience as I felt it was relevant to the title of this thread.

As a favor could you point out the syntax errors so I can improve my language ability.

Cheers,

IK