PDA

View Full Version : What kind of portable audio player do you have?

aysiu
November 25th, 2007, 04:51 PM
This is a continuation of an older thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=116956).

My MP3 player I've had for years has just broken, and I'm leaning toward getting a Cowan/iAudio.

I'm just curious, though, as to what the Ubuntu Forums community is currently favoring.

What's your portable audio player of choice right now? How good is the support in Ubuntu for it?

aidanr
November 25th, 2007, 05:03 PM
A friend has an iAudio T2, it's really nice and sounds great, but I haven't seen any stocked where I live. So instead I picked up a Creative Zen stone which is basically an iPod shuffle minus having to use iTunes. It's very simple, works as a removeable drive, sounds great and is about half the price of a shuffle. Only negative is no ogg support.

pebo
November 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I recently got a Sandisk e280 and loaded the Rockbox firmware because I can't stop faffing. It has some nice extras like games.Still getting to grips with the playlist system though...

Whiffle
November 25th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I had an Iaudio m3 and loved it, I killed it accidentally though. The hard drive was still good so I bought an ipod with a broken hard drive on ebay and swapped. I don't like the ipod nearly as much, but it does its job. They both sound great though.

Oh and I have a sandisk sansa m240 for biking and such. Doesn't sound as good as the m3 or the ipod, but it works and it was cheap ($20 on woot)

corney91
November 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM
My 4G iPod has broken now so I was tempted by the iAudio 7, but I think I'm going to go with the Sansa e280.

Mateo
November 25th, 2007, 05:15 PM
m:robe until my iphone comes in the mail.

mozetti
November 25th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I have an iRiver H340 that I love. But, IIRC, iRiver isn't making HDD-based players anymore.

My advice is to head on over to Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org) and see what players they support. I've been using their open-source replacement firmware on my iRiver for over a year now.

ssam
November 25th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Nokia N800

not really just an audio player. but it does the job ok.

Nekiruhs
November 25th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I've got a Zune. It really is a great player once you get past the MS part. Although it doesn't work in linux yet, I dual boot to sync it. It does work through a VM with windows though. The screen is great 2.1" nice vibrant colors, really durable, great for movies. The WiFi sync is spectacular if you listen to podcasts. Speaking of podcasts, the integration is nice. Both video and audio podcasts are supported, and it automatically lets you pick up where you left off, handy if its a long podcast you don't want to listen to all at once.The UI is good too, but its something you really have to use to see how good it is. Its got FM radio built in too. The WiFi song sending is cool, but not enough people have Zunes yet to make it awesome, but if someone you know does the Zune is great for bus rides/trips. My only real qualm with it is that it can't be used as an external HD, being an MTP device. And no OGG/FLAC :(. Oh well, it does what I want to the rest of the time.
</Advert>

Dimitriid
November 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Other: I use my cellphone + stereo hands free headset for mp3 playing.

guillelo11
November 25th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I have an iPod Shuffle

hessiess
November 25th, 2007, 06:41 PM
HI-MD recorder.

potentialy infanate storage capacaty
runs of aa battery, not dependent on computer
records, not dependent on computer

beercz
November 25th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Creative MuVo v100 - 2Gb

ErwinC
November 25th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Creative Zen Touch, 20Gb and Creative Zen V, 2GB.
Both work fine with Amarok

Kingsley
November 25th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I'll have the Sansa e280 in a few days.

dada1958
November 25th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Zen V, 2GB.

FuturePilot
November 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I have a Creative Zen MicroPhoto. But I'm thinking about possibly getting something else that works better with Linux. I know there are programs with MTP support such as Gnomad2, Amarok and even Rhythmbox now, but you still end up being limited with what you can do since you cannot actually browse the device through a file browser.

Luggy
November 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Because I really wanted to have an MP3 player that supported OGG and FLAC I got an iAudio and I love it.

Talon2
November 25th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I ordered this one for my daughter the other day as it shows good reviews, plays ogg and flac, and is reasonbly priced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855625003

aysiu
November 25th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I ordered this one for my daughter the other day as it shows good reviews, plays ogg and flac, and is reasonbly priced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855625003
That looks pretty good.

I'm in a bit of a toss-up. That definitely wins over iAudio for price, and I've also read the controls are a bit unintuitive on the iAudio 7.

On the other hand, 60 hours of battery life (versus 20 hours) makes the iAudio 7 more appealing.

I'm not sure what to go with.

Edgeworth
November 25th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Other: Palm T|X with PocketTunes. Mass storage from SD card works.
I'm thinking of getting an iPod touch, mainly for jailbreaking purposes, is this a good idea?

Zoiked
November 25th, 2007, 08:35 PM
iPod Nano and I love it. I Grandpa can hear it when I turn it up to max and it can tickle your hears with vibrations. Great sound quality by the way. :D

timpino
November 25th, 2007, 09:08 PM
iPod Classic 160GB

gripes: The harddrive spins up to late sometimes causing glitches in the audio/video playback. The new menusystem is SLOW

Good: the rest

Linux comp. no idea

a12ctic
November 25th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I have a E280 and a Connect both by sandisk.

prizrak
November 25th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Sansa E260 user here. It works fine with Ubuntu since it has support for USB Mass Storage interface. No Ogg support at all. It also has MTP that used to work pretty well with Rhythmbox but now for some reason doesn't.

I also use my Blackberry for music lately since my job requires I have one and with a 2GB MicroSD card it can hold all my music. Nice little plus is the ability to use Bluetooth stereo headphones with track control with it :) Excellent Ubuntu support as it just mounts the MicroSD as a removable drive :)

gn2
November 25th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I bought the wife a Durabrand MD217 which she uses in conjunction with an FM transmitter to play classical music through the stereo in her art studio.
Works as a drag and drop mass storage device.
The sound quality is surprisingly good considering the two units cost only £27 together in Asda. (UK retailer owned by WalMart)

Skorzen
November 26th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Creative Zen Stone Plus here!

skwishybug
November 26th, 2007, 02:02 AM
I have a Zune, but it was free hence why I got it. There is no Ubuntu/Linux support for it (as far as I know).

If I were purchasing, I'd go with a Sandisk Sansa or a Creative.

j.

Blutack
November 26th, 2007, 03:08 AM
I love my 20gb archos xs202, though no bells or whistles. It plays music, you can make playlists...that's about it. Still, great battery life and tiny for the capacity. Dirty cheap AND reliable.

p_quarles
November 26th, 2007, 03:40 AM
I have a Sansa c240. (the "c" series came between the original "m" and the current "e"). Two gig solid state storage, with a MicroSD expansion slot. Not a flashy interface or anything, but it works and the physical device looks cool.

Works perfectly with Linux (as a flash drive), but supports only MP3 and WMA. My only complaint is that it if you use the MicroSD card, it automatically rescans the entire card each time you turn it on. Presumably, this is because you could have removed it in the interim, but it seems like it would be a cinch to look up time stamps rather than do a full indexing. Basically, this changes the startup time from ~5 seconds to ~45 seconds. This may have been fixed in the "c" series (anyone know?).

Tundro Walker
November 26th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Creative Zen Vision:M (30gb)

It works with Gnomad 2.

With Ubuntu 6.10, the Gnomad 2 in the Dapper repo's didn't have Zen support. So, you had to compile your own from source. But, ever since Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty, Gnomad 2 in the repo's has detected the Zen right off the bat now. Gutsy, too...

Zen is a HDD-based player, and you can partition up to half the drive for storage. There was even a guy who installed Ubuntu on his (storage disk partition) to use as a portable distro USB boot-disk (hehe). Haven't tried that myself, yet, but other than that, it works great.

Has a good batt life (~10 hrs music, not sure about video), can play music mp3/wav (not sure about ogg), can play videos, show pics, has a radio with up to 30 presets you can set (you can even have it quick-scan the stations to load those it finds into presets...cool).

Haven't had any complaints with mine, but I don't use it as often as some folks do. It comes with special software, but you can trash that and just hook it up to the computer.

I mostly use mine for transporting files and mp3's back and forth from work.

In WinXP, using WMP 10+, it'll recognize the player as a USB drive, letting you pretty much transfer whatever you want to it (files, mp3's, etc.) In Ubuntu, Gnomad 2 recognizes it as an mp3 player, and will load them into the Music folder, but if you set the player in "usb drive" mode before hooking it to Ubuntu, it'll recognize it as a USB drive.

None of this iTunes junk or DRM crap limiting what you can or can't put on it. Just load files on it and you're good to go.

My minor complaints would be this, though...

1) It just has 1 folder to toss your music files which it'll recognize. You have to use id3 tags to categorize your music. I personally like using a folder structure to organize my music, but, c'est la vie.

2) You have to use a special USB adapter to hook it to a computer. It has this awkward wide male adapter that plugs in its bottom, which you then use a tiny USB male cable to hook into, which then hooks into a standard USB socket on your computer. It's pretty annoying, since you have to carry all this extra junk with you if you want to hook it to a comp. I personally wish it just used the standard USB socket. It charges slowly using a USB cable, but you can get an AC adapter for it separately for about $25 which charges in about an hour or so.

3) Screen scratches a bit easy, so investing in a $20 cover for the player is a good idea. I got one of those rubber covers with a plastic screen cover...works good.

4) I wish it had an external battery, so I could swap them out if I was on a long trip. But, the built-in battery has a long life, and I don't go on trips too often, so not a big complaint.

5) The screen's power saver mode (when not playing a video) just dims the disply, doesn't turn it all the way off. This is annoying, since it eats battery life. You can flip the power switch on top of the player to "locked" mode, which then powers down the display, but when you want to flip songs, you have to unlock the player again. So, I end up flipping through songs, find one I like, lock the player so the screen turns off, next song I don't like, so I have to unlock the switch and flip through the player, etc, etc. It's a little annoying at times.

6) It has a DJ Mode, which supposedly plays tracks you haven't heard in a while or such...I haven't really tried it, so I can't comment.

7) Can't remember if it has seemless playback or not. This is a big sticking point for some folks, especially when they have like 5 mp3's which should seemlessly go together, and the player ends up gapping the tween with silence while it cranks up the next one. I don't have an issue with this, but if it's an issue with you, you might want to investigate.

The 30gb might be pretty cheap these days...$200 or so? Mine was about $300. They have a 60gb, too...probably more versions that are better now (mines about a year old).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, RockBox doesn't currently support the Creative Zen Vision:M, but there's a version in the works. Can't wait for it, too, because it'd be nice to play some games on this thing while waiting at the movie theatre.

EDIT2: Also forgot to mention ... the Zen can do videos, but it's kind of obtuse how to load them on it using Gnomad 2. What you have to do is flip from the "Music Transfer" tab to the "Data Transfer" tab. Since the Zen uses pre-determined folder structure, you just toss your .avi / .wav files into the Data Transfer tab, and it seems to figure out that videos get tossed in the Video folder.

However, as a complaint, I decided to transfer an Avatar video onto it to watch later. I had about 3/4 battery left, and I was at the movies waiting for my movie to start. So, I popped out the Zen and started watching Avatar. About 3 min in, it gave me the "Low Battery" symbol and stopped playing. I thought that was really odd...I mean, I had 3/4 batt left previously. I rebooted it, and it said it had 1/2 batt left. I started playing the vid again, and it crapped out about 2 min later with Low Batt.

I went home and plunked it in the charger all night. I think the battery display just got hosed up or something, and was showing incorrect batt level. This may be an issue with the firmware, and I haven't upgraded mine since I had to reset it one time. Oh well.

tak1150
November 26th, 2007, 05:19 AM
I got an "MP4 playe"r made in China (not just made in China, but engineered there) for $20 on Ebay. It does the job, but there is no way for you to organize the files on the player, and you can't skip to certain files based on the album, etc; so you basically have to scroll through each song/sermon/etc until you get to what you want. For some reason, it takes ~3-5 seconds to go to the next song/whatever, and so it takes a long time to find what you want to listen to.

I had to get that off my chest. Thanks for the platform :) But I have to say, for $20, it probably is not too bad of a deal. It fit within my budget anyway :)

Spr0k3t
November 26th, 2007, 05:54 AM
I love my Sansa E280. On a single charge it lasts quite some time. It has user replaceable batteries (unlike the ipod). More features than the ipod shuffle for much cheaper. With Rockbox the Sansa series supports Ogg without any problems.

hellion0
November 26th, 2007, 05:58 AM
I must be behind the times. All I use is a portable CD player with mp3 support. And, uhm... let's see, if you can burn an mp3 disc on Ubuntu, you can use it with that player. *laughs*

Sorry. I'm too poor for a standalone mp3 player. :P

Lostincyberspace
November 26th, 2007, 06:05 AM
RCA PERL lost it but didn't use it ever, to cheap to get any thing more expensive.

paul cooke
November 27th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Pocket Tunes on my Palm Tungsten E or

my ALBA 1GB special that takes SD cardfs and also appears as a removeable drive when connected via USB. Model number MP31GD10

Tundro Walker
November 28th, 2007, 04:22 AM
So I was at Fry's last night, and on a whim I got a couple flash-stick mp3 players. While I like my Creative Zen Vision:M, the main thing that irks me about it (and a lot of other players) is that you need a cord & adapters to hook it to a computer. I wanted a small flash-stick player that would just plug in and ideally just work like a flash drive...toss files on it, and it'll play the music files it finds. No funky cords, adapters or special software.

So, I came across the Creative Muvo T100 4gb, which is their newest Muvo. Instead of looking like a euro-trash cigarette lighter (like their older ones), this thing is a slim, sleek flash stick with a circular "+" control on the end. (The black player in the pics below). Has a built-in batt, with ~10 hrs play time, a bass boost button (which is a bit laughable, since all I noticed was the mid-tones dropping out when active...I used bass boost earphones, so it's not a big deal for me). It's plug-n-play with Windows & Linux, since it's detected as a USB drive. You can toss files directly on it, or into folders, and flip through the folders to play music just in the one you select. It can play straight through, or shuffle. The usual... It's limited on sound formats, though (most Creative products are), so it does MP3, WMA, WAV ... but not OGG, AAC, FLAC, M4A...

What I like the most is that it's a pretty solid design. I could probably toss it all over the place, and it would just get a few scratches to show for it, but still work solid. Some would say the lack of a screen (to see what's playing) is a down-side, and it might be, but I just like the sleek, no-screen design. The end-cap, while staying on, is a little loose when on, which is a minor complaint. But I personally find it annoying...when I'm walking with the thing, I don't want the slight wiggle in it to distract me.

So, I got it for $80 at Fry's Electronics. Of course, when I start scoping this thing out on the web, Creative is selling it for a promotional price of $40 on their site (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=215&product=17043). D'oh! I got seriously ripped.

The other player I got is by some foreign company called Pixxo (I think they mainly service South America, because the site I found for them looks to be for Brazilian or Spanish). The one I got is 2gb, has flash-stick plug-n-play like the Muvo, but while it works directly on Windows, I can't get Ubuntu to recognize it yet. (It's a FAT32 formatted stick...that might be why). It plays the usual MP3, WMA, WAV, ASF formats (again, no OGG, FLAC, MP3/AAC, etc). It has a built-in FM radio, which can auto-scan for channels and assign to pre-sets. Has a built-in telephone number keeper (so you can use it like a rolodex), built-in recorder which saves what it records as sound clips, so you can make multiple recordings. You can toss the music into folders, and switch folders so it'll play only what's in the folder. Has a screen to display what's going on and to set options. The end-cap on this thing stays on solid, so it feels like a single-piece unit when you're holding it (which is good). It's made of cheaper plastic, so it might not take too much abuse, but it's still solid. Forgot to mention, it runs off a single AAA battery, which I thought wouldn't last long, but I got a respectable 2 hours play time out of the cheap battery they sold it with (not too shabby!) The huge down-side to it is that when playing music files, it has this low, barely audible hum, like a motorboat in the distance. Can't tell it when the songs going full on, but when a song fades out, you can tell, and it can get annoying. So, the main thing the player's supposed to do, play music clearly, it gets a lower score on because of that. But, it has several EQ presets which noticably spice up the sound, and the overall sound quality is good, too. It's just that vibrating hum...and it not working directly on Linux (d'oh!) I'll try reformating the thing as FAT16 and see if it doesn't botch it up. Anyways, it cost me $40 at Fry's.

So, there's a couple more reviews...2 flash-sticks that can play music, and won't arouse too much suspicion from the IT guys at work when you're backing up some personal code libraries to take home (LOL!)

EDIT: After using the Muvo further, I found out that the shuffle-mode doesn't stay within the folder you're in. It shuffles music from ALL the folders on the player. This is pretty annoying, because I have one folder for just singles, and another for DJ mixes...when I shuffle, I don't want the DJ mixes showing up. Also, the headphones on both of these were crap. I bought another set (Sony's...always had good luck with them) and it's good now. Haven't really used the Pixxo much, because I like using the Muvo. I think the Muvo is good, but like $40 good, not $70-80 good...so I'd probably wait for the price to come down.

PrimoTurbo
November 28th, 2007, 04:27 AM
I still have a working Panasonic Shockwave portable cd player around that I haven't touched in the last 6-7 years.
http://www.list4all.com/www3/natalie-alexa/29-icon.jpg

I also have a Sony Ericsson W200 mp3 phone, with like 128mb I think.

odiseo77
November 28th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Titán digital mp4 player (2gb's) and before this one, I used a Heiec mp3 player/usb flash drive. Both are well supported by every Linux OS I've tried them on (and Ubuntu, of course). :)

Robertjm
November 28th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Well, my current working mp3 player is a 1st Generation iPod Nano w/Rockbox installed. Works just dandy, but its too small (1Gb) and it doesn't have a radio onbouard.

On Black Friday I bought a Sansa e280. Absolutely wonderful radio. However, they have recently issued a version 2, which doesn't give you the menu option of switching to UMS mode and they changed chipsets too, so currently Rockbox is a no go, and I can't get it work with Amarok using MTP mode.

Its going to go back and I'm heavily leaving towards a iRiver Clix Gen 2. Great reviews, no question about it working with linux/amarok. I had looked at the Sony NWZ-61x series, but it it didn't excite me when I played around with it last night at the San Francisco Sony-Style store.

Robet

santiagoward2000
November 28th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Could my laptop be considered a "portable audio player"? :lolflag:
I still have a walkman (cassette player) somewhere.

phyzik
November 28th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I have a dying Cowon iAudio X5, aarguably the best mp3 player of its time.

Cowon is great in supporting lots of different formats, working flawlessly with linux, great battery life and usually nisce amount of storage space.

In fact I was waiting for the so-called "X7", the successor to X5, but so far Cowon ignored demands from its customers (there are couple of big threads on iaudiophile.net forum dedicated to that matter). I wanted to get myself a new Q5 (most probably the best PMP ever made), but it's too expensive, and since I had to buy a laptop, too, I really don't need a video player (for traveling).

So ow I'm looking for a small flash player with between 4 and 16GB of space. SD-slot would also be very nice. It also HAS to work with Linux (esp. ubuntu). Any ideas?

I kind of like Sandisk, but I've read it doesn't work with Ubuntu/Linux. What's the situation with that?

Kingsley
November 28th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Well, my current working mp3 player is a 1st Generation iPod Nano w/Rockbox installed. Works just dandy, but its too small (1Gb) and it doesn't have a radio onbouard.

On Black Friday I bought a Sansa e280. Absolutely wonderful radio. However, they have recently issued a version 2, which doesn't give you the menu option of switching to UMS mode and they changed chipsets too, so currently Rockbox is a no go, and I can't get it work with Amarok using MTP mode.

Its going to go back and I'm heavily leaving towards a iRiver Clix Gen 2. Great reviews, no question about it working with linux/amarok. I had looked at the Sony NWZ-61x series, but it it didn't excite me when I played around with it last night at the San Francisco Sony-Style store.

Robet
Bummer. My e280 is v2, so I guess there won't be any Rockbox for me. I'm also unable to copy my music onto it through Exaile or Rhythmbox.

aysiu
November 28th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I have a dying Cowon iAudio X5, aarguably the best mp3 player of its time.

Cowon is great in supporting lots of different formats, working flawlessly with linux, great battery life and usually nisce amount of storage space.

In fact I was waiting for the so-called "X7", the successor to X5, but so far Cowon ignored demands from its customers (there are couple of big threads on iaudiophile.net forum dedicated to that matter). I wanted to get myself a new Q5 (most probably the best PMP ever made), but it's too expensive, and since I had to buy a laptop, too, I really don't need a video player (for traveling). After doing a bit of online research, I opted to get the Cowon iAudio 7.

Even though it's a bit pricier than my old Sandisk player (which I think was about $50), the following eventually swayed me toward Cowon: The reviews on various websites were overwhelmingly positive The Cowon America website displays quite prominently its support for Linux. It's not just one of those things that's "Compatible with Windows XP" but happens to work on Linux also It supports Ogg. I doubt I'll rerip my old CDs to Ogg or convert my old MP3s to Ogg, but if I have a player that supports Ogg, I'll probably rip all my new purchases to Ogg. The battery life is long from all accounts. Cowon claims it's 60 hours, and none of the reviewers has actually timed the exact length, but they all seem satisfied that 60 hours or something close is the actual battery life of the player. I get really annoyed if I'm in the middle of my commute and my music player's battery dies. It should be arriving soon. When I get it, I'll probably post a review of it on my blog.

aroth87
November 28th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I picked up the Sana e250 that was on Woot ahile back. Only 2 GB, but can be expanded via microSD card. I installed Rockbox on it and like it quite a bit. I'm overall very pleased with it. The battery indicator is a little screwy, but it is a refurb after all, and other than the indicator I haven't had any problems with it. Best $35 I've spent in awhile...

Adam

Malcolm
November 28th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I have a Samsung YP-U2. It's small, has an FM tuner, plays Ogg Vorbis, and the sound quality is excellent.

insane_alien
November 28th, 2007, 07:40 PM
i roped my parents into buying the cowon iaudio7 for my birthday. nice big 8GB flash memory. nice long battery life its all good.

colllin
November 28th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I have an iaudio 7 and i love it. the sound quality is excellent.

I do recommend buying a decent set of headphones though. the ones that come with the iaudio 7 are alright, but you don't benefit from the great sound quality.

bobbocanfly
November 28th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Sandisk Sansa e280 running Rockbox. Brilliant, durable and configurable.

aysiu
November 28th, 2007, 08:23 PM
i roped my parents into buying the cowon iaudio7 for my birthday. nice big 8GB flash memory. nice long battery life its all good.

I have an iaudio 7 and i love it. the sound quality is excellent.

I do recommend buying a decent set of headphones though. the ones that come with the iaudio 7 are alright, but you don't benefit from the great sound quality. That's great to hear.

I've yet to read a review of a portable audio device that says "The headphones that came with it are fantastic!"

Most reviews (regardless of audio device) are along the lines of "The sound is great, but make sure you use another set of headphones. The ones that come with it stink."

markp1989
November 28th, 2007, 08:26 PM
i have an ipod nano (first gen), but the screen broke yesterday, so im looking on ebay for a replacement.

EDIT: just ordered a new screen for it on ebay, cost me £7 with postage!!

corney91
November 28th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Bummer. My e280 is v2, so I guess there won't be any Rockbox for me. I'm also unable to copy my music onto it through Exaile or Rhythmbox.

If I buy one, will I not be able to copy music onto it at all? Or can you click+drag it on?

Incense
November 28th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I just got a palm centro, and have been using the pocket tunes player with it. Drag and drop, stream podcasts, and it supports ogg! I am stoked!

sp0onman
November 28th, 2007, 11:33 PM
i'va had 2 ipods, first was a first gen mini 4gb which is gave away to a friend. the one i use now is a second gen nano 8gb, i got it because it is tiny and i haven't found another mp3 player with a better control scheme/interface than the ipod.

Kingsley
November 28th, 2007, 11:54 PM
If I buy one, will I not be able to copy music onto it at all? Or can you click+drag it on?
You can click and drag.

loudnlownoma
November 28th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I have a Sansa c240. (the "c" series came between the original "m" and the current "e"). Two gig solid state storage, with a MicroSD expansion slot. Not a flashy interface or anything, but it works and the physical device looks cool.

Works perfectly with Linux (as a flash drive), but supports only MP3 and WMA. My only complaint is that it if you use the MicroSD card, it automatically rescans the entire card each time you turn it on. Presumably, this is because you could have removed it in the interim, but it seems like it would be a cinch to look up time stamps rather than do a full indexing. Basically, this changes the startup time from ~5 seconds to ~45 seconds. This may have been fixed in the "c" series (anyone know?).

I have a Sansa e140 I got from Newegg a while back, mainly cuz it was cheap and takes regular SD cards. It does the same thing with the indexing which is aggrivating, but for being my only complaint, it's not a bad player. Haven't tested with Linux just yet, but will be doing so soon hopefully and will report back with my findings :)

Luggy
November 29th, 2007, 07:59 PM
That's great to hear.

I've yet to read a review of a portable audio device that says "The headphones that came with it are fantastic!"

Most reviews (regardless of audio device) are along the lines of "The sound is great, but make sure you use another set of headphones. The ones that come with it stink."

I found that the ear buds that came with my iAudioX5 were very good. The sound was excellent and they actually felt good too.

aysiu
November 29th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I found that the ear buds that came with my iAudioX5 were very good. The sound was excellent and they actually felt good too.
Well, that's the first time I've read that. Interesting to know. We'll see what I think of the iAudio 7 headphones (I am not an audiophile).

Robertjm
November 29th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Make sure to check which version it is.

If the one you get is version 2, you won't be able to drag and drop at the current time. :mad:

libMTP doesn't detect my Sansa e280v2 at all, and they took the USB mode menu option out of Settings. You can supposedly force it to UMS mode by putting the hold button on, holding down the Rewind button (at 9 O'clock position) and then connecting your USB cable to it, but I couldn't get mine to allow drag/drop after doing that, regardless of them saying it could.

Nobody on Rockbox forsees an easy fix til they figure out the new chipset. As a result, mine is probably going back to CostCo this weekend and I'm going to order a iRiver Clix2.

If you decide to get one take a look at the lower right-hand corner of the back. The model number is written in EXTREMELEY small type. If its a version two is will have a v2 behind the model number. If its a version one, it won't say v1 at all. A hint might be the packaging. If its black/red and is copyright 2006 if might be version 1. Virgin Music in San Francisco had one, but it was sealed, not to mention $30 more than what I'd paid at Costco, so I didn't bite on it.

Good luck!

Robert

prodigalson666
November 29th, 2007, 09:43 PM
The new ipod 160gb, works well with rythmbox!

Colro
November 29th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I'm actually looking to buy myself a new audio player soon as sort of a self-christmas-present. iAudio 7 looks great so far, be sure to post that review for us :)

Billy_McBong
November 30th, 2007, 01:04 AM
i have a Sandisk sansa C250
works great although it only has 2GBs, i need to get a SD card for it

ErusGuleilmus
November 30th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I have an iPod Touch. Its wonderful.

phyzik
November 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM
After doing a bit of online research, I opted to get the Cowon iAudio 7.

Thanks for the suggestion, mate. That was really helpful. I have forgotten about Cowon's flash players since I was originally interested in a HDD-type of player.

I've narrowed my choices to: iAudio 7, iAudio D2, Sansa e280, Creative ZEN, Meizu M6 and iriver Clix 2.

They allhave some positive and some negative sides (battery life, SD slot, linux compatibility, price, screen size), so it will be a pretty hard decision. Of course, I'm leaning towards Cowons players :), but they're pricey...

Please let me know if you post a review for your new iAudio 7 :D

Henry Rayker
November 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I have a Creative Vision:M. I got it as a (very delayed) replacement for my 2nd Gen iPod (which suffered from a hardware failure under warranty that Apple didn't acknowledge as being their fault until AFTER my warranty was up...) For the most part, I'm very pleased with the Creative player. I get really good battery life (12 hours continuously, but I can go more than 2 workdays (listening for ~8 hours each day) without charging the thing).

A friend and I play in a band with a fairly lo-fi sound (drums and guitar + vocals) and, on a whim, I used the device to record one of our practices. Aside from the fact that they drums were very loud (the device was right next to the drums) the recording quality is very nice...much nicer than a lot of "audience recorded" live recordings.

The biggest gripe I have with it is the lack of .ogg support. I'd really like to move to .ogg from .mp3, but it's not a big deal, because I'd have to re-rip all of my music...so I'm fine where I am for the time being. Another minor one is the inability to make your own color themes...the four that are available are just...plain.

daller
November 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Meizu Miniplayer

Does anyone have a clue about how to get video converted for this player?

koleoptero
November 30th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I got an Osio Sr-5122 a couple of months ago cause I needed a cheap really portable solution with fm-radio. Well 30 euros and it sounds good too. It's definitely not the best, not even close, but it was the best I found when I had the money.:guitar:

EDIT: Of course linux does support it as any OS I guess since all you have to do is copy paste mp3s in it :P

yabbadabbadont
November 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM
RioVolt SP250

Which is actually a re-branded iRiver model. Fortunately, the iRiver firmware works on it as SONICblue went belly up quite a while ago.

Edit: It is fully supported since it is a CD based player. ;)

I also have a Creative Nomad Jukebox (the original 6GB version). The last time I tried, it worked fine with libnjb and the gnomad application.

jviscosi
November 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I use an iPod because of the Amarok integration (which works very well), but to be honest I prefer the UI on my old Dell DJ to the iPod's. (The DJ used the Creative UI and was supported in Linux via Nomad.)

jpittack
November 30th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I have a laptop which works very well with Ubuntu, despite the wireless being Dell. ha ha ha, I'm so not funny.

Girlfriend wants an Ipod. Probably will be her Christmas present. I am personally interested in any device that does not require software to interact with it. I have seen so many files lost from this setup. Probably a 4 GB Sandisk, if they don't need the software.

ice60
December 1st, 2007, 12:27 AM
i've got an old ipod shuffle.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/184/ipodshufflebackml7.th.jpg (http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ipodshufflebackml7.jpg)

the only reason i have it though is my friend gave it to me rather then giving me some money he owed me :D i now use it everyday. i've got a 60gig iPod video too with rockbox installed, but never use it becuase i like the shuffle much more.

i really like it and recommend getting a second-hand one, that must be so much cheaper than anything else too!! lol
i put a script on it, from here -
http://shuffle-db.sourceforge.net/
the script rebuilds the playlist database, so all you do when you plug it in is drag-and-drop your audio files to and from it, then run the script to update the playlist, and that's it, it doesn't need itunes :)

I've got a Zune. It really is a great player once you get past the MS part. Although it doesn't work in linux yet, I dual boot to sync it. It does work through a VM with windows though. The screen is great 2.1" nice vibrant colors, really durable, great for movies. The WiFi sync is spectacular if you listen to podcasts. Speaking of podcasts, the integration is nice. Both video and audio podcasts are supported, and it automatically lets you pick up where you left off, handy if its a long podcast you don't want to listen to all at once.The UI is good too, but its something you really have to use to see how good it is. Its got FM radio built in too. The WiFi song sending is cool, but not enough people have Zunes yet to make it awesome, but if someone you know does the Zune is great for bus rides/trips. My only real qualm with it is that it can't be used as an external HD, being an MTP device. And no OGG/FLAC :(. Oh well, it does what I want to the rest of the time.
</Advert>i don't know if you are being serious because there were so many complaints about it when it came out; like not being able to play any music you'd bought from anywhere apart from the MS online music store. not even the old MS music store's music would play!

the wifi didn't do anything apart from letting you copy files from another Zune only, the file would only play for 3 or 4 days, then it would stop working for ever!

but, i think there might have been a firmware update for it in the last couple of weeks which added some functionality!

aysiu
December 1st, 2007, 04:55 AM
Please let me know if you post a review for your new iAudio 7 :D Here's my review:
http://ubuntucat.wordpress.com/2007/12/01/cowon-iaudio-7-review-ubuntu-perspective/

bluewagon
December 1st, 2007, 05:11 AM
I got a Creative Zen Vision:M
and although i Like it and its great, i regret not getting an ipod, an Ipod is thinner and there are way more products made for the ipod

akiratheoni
December 1st, 2007, 08:18 AM
This is a continuation of an older thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=116956).

My MP3 player I've had for years has just broken, and I'm leaning toward getting a Cowan/iAudio.

I'm just curious, though, as to what the Ubuntu Forums community is currently favoring.

What's your portable audio player of choice right now? How good is the support in Ubuntu for it?

I absolutely love my iAudio, it has an insane battery life and even supports .ogg and Rockbox and works right out of the box with Linux. However the model I have is the iAudio X5L which unfortunately is out of production now.

So I'm leaning towards an iAudio D2 I think it's called. The touch screen looks nice and I'm looking forward to getting it.

phyzik
December 4th, 2007, 12:29 PM
After reading a lots of review and comparing 10 different players, I've also come to like iAUDIO D2 most.

The only problem is, they're ripping us poor Europeans off. Check out the prices for the 8GB version:
Amazon.com - 219$
Amazon.de - 249€ (367$)

148$ more expensive!!! I can buy 3 8GB extra SDHC cards for that money...

Of course, most of the products cost more in EU (taxes, strong euro etc.), but itžs usually a bit more balanced...

toasterofirony
December 9th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I've just asked Father Christmas for an iPod touch and part of me is regretting the choice to be honest.

Once it's jailbreak'd (jailbroken) I think I'll probably change my mind and I know that my major concerns (such as issues with the artwork - coverflow would be a bit pointless without it) will be resolved by the fantastic ubuntu community.

Which leads me onto one of the main pro's about getting an iPod, even though it is far from being open source: they are popular in the community, so there is a lot of support and issues get resolved quickly. Also, the iPod is the one device that you can get everything for; chargers, adapters, everything

Part of me will still mourn the fact that I had never even heard of the n800 until it was too late :(

zarathustra
December 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I just use my samsung mobile to listen to music, although it's not particularly well designed for this.

devilsoulblack
December 9th, 2007, 07:26 PM
i have creative muvo, sony mp3 player(nw-s205f) and iPhone

Robertjm
December 9th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Personally, I've never understood the attraction of the touch. Well, yes I understand it, but for another $100 someone could get an iPhone and just not activate and have all the same features, plus the possibility of having a phone in the future.

Granted, it would be 8Gb rather than 16Gb, but there's always the option of activating it in the future, not the mention the fact the resale value of the iPhone is probably more than the Touch should someone ever decide to get rid of it.

But beyond that do they work on Linux? I had a 1st Gen. Nano which worked just fine when first plugged in. Then they did something with the subsequent generations and those didn't work (at least immediately) upon purchase.

Recently, I bought a Sansa e280. Great reputation. Works awesome under Linux; at least the 1st Generation did. Apparently they've released a v2 of it in the past few months which I discovered was a no go. As much as I liked the player it was pointless if I couldn't put mustic on it using my Linux computer.

Sadly, I returned it to Costco and last week ventured to the Sony-style store in San Francisco ti get an NWZ-a618. Had read good reviews of it. I had looked at it once before and considered holding out for a Clix2, but decided I was already pushing too much money for it as it was.

Once I got home and plugged it in up popped a directory listening immediately!! Mind you this was out of the box and with it set to MTP mode still. I can drag and drop to it at my heart's content. While I'm still having problems having it show in Amarok (it detects connection, but nothing won't let me sync to it), and mtp-detect is giving me weird msgs, but its still miles ahead of what it was with the Sansa.

All that said, if Apple did the one thing they don't, but many companies do, namely stuck an FM receiver in it, it might temper my mind a bit. For the life of me I cannot fathom why they would not put something like that in their player. This lack of player was the number one concern why I didn't even looking at the apple line of players.

Later,

Robert

I've just asked Father Christmas for an iPod touch and part of me is regretting the choice to be honest...

bashveank
December 9th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Other, use my Treo.

Espreon
December 9th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I use a 5G iPod with a triple boot of Apple's firmware, Rockbox and iPodLinux.

BLTicklemonster
December 9th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I have a Sony Discman, and it's just sitting there. Unused. As I am sure all these mp3 players will be before long. Yeah, it's neat, but once the newness wears off, these things will go the way of the walkman, et al.

phyzik
December 10th, 2007, 01:22 AM
I have a Sony Discman, and it's just sitting there. Unused. As I am sure all these mp3 players will be before long. Yeah, it's neat, but once the newness wears off, these things will go the way of the walkman, et al.

That sounds like the producer who turned down The Beatles saying that the electric guitars are the thing of the past...

What do you mean "the way of the walkman"? Walkman was an extremely successful product. It went out of production in the same way the black&white TV went out of production.

"Newness"?!? I've owned a portable music player (walkman, discman, mp3 player,...) continuously for the past 12-13 years. Nothing new about portable music - the only thing that changes is the technology underneath.

ntowakbh
December 10th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I use a Zune.

Thirty gigabytes, so it has plenty of room for all my music and videos.

-grubby
December 10th, 2007, 01:40 AM
none. Planning to buy one though

fedex1993
December 10th, 2007, 01:45 AM
i use an ipod 5g 30gb video. It runs really well with ipodlinux and rockbox. I wasnt so happy with ipodlinux because it still didnt work 100%. But rockbox works alot better than the regular stuff that ipod puts on there

Samhain13
December 10th, 2007, 01:54 AM
A Sony Ericsson cellphone.

Pethegreat
December 10th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I got a Phillips CD player. I payed $35 for it at Walmart over the summer. It appears to be a well built unit, but time will tell. The headphone amp in it is good. I get enough power at %80 to drown out everyone. I have a pair of Sennheiser Hd280's with my CD player. The Hd280's are the best pair of headphones I have ever owned. I got them for my birthday 2 years ago. They are very comfortable, and they drown out everything. I got mine for $70.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a player that works with linux and supports FLAC out of the box? My brother wants one for Christmas.

BLTicklemonster
December 10th, 2007, 02:12 AM
That sounds like the producer who turned down The Beatles saying that the electric guitars are the thing of the past...

What do you mean "the way of the walkman"? Walkman was an extremely successful product. It went out of production in the same way the black&white TV went out of production.

"Newness"?!? I've owned a portable music player (walkman, discman, mp3 player,...) continuously for the past 12-13 years. Nothing new about portable music - the only thing that changes is the technology underneath.

What history did you live through or read? Everyone had them, then bam, no one had them. Years later these things are a hit.

Tharkun
December 10th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Well, My SO has a tape player and I used to own a CD player before it broke. I'll have to get another one.

saxin
December 10th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I got an Apple iPhone that I use as an audio player.

sloggerkhan
December 10th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I have an ipod nano my brother gave me 'cause he got it for free with his mac and he had an ipod video. It's only 1 gb so I don't use it, though. When I messed with it, it was only useful with rockbox anyhow. Rockbox is like the only thing that can play .aac and .ogg .

apothecaryaaron
December 10th, 2007, 09:43 AM
4 Gb Creative Zen Vision M. Does more than an Ipod. Music, Video, FM Radio, Photos, will parition itself to be a usb drive as well. ( I run Damn Small Linux off of it ). Battery life is pretty good, I can use it at the gym and randomly throughout the week before it needs charging. Mine works in Ubuntu with the program written for Creative support. My laptop isn't with me to give a name. All in all, for $100 I won't complain.

Fonon
December 10th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I got a Samsung GoGear. Its pretty cool, FM radio, photos, music, and video, but after coming from an iPod(which got stolen), the interface could use some work.

graabein
December 10th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I have a 60 gb iPod photo but I bought my girlfriend a Cowon Iaudio player for her birthday. I think my next one will be Cowon also.

Clickbg
December 10th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I use my SE k800i like a video/audio/browser and more, well it`s not an iPod but it`s not bad :)

immrlizard
December 10th, 2007, 11:37 PM
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/compare/search

Here is a link to a site that allows you to compare them side by side. It is good to compare features and such

faffaz
December 16th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I have the Sansa View 16 GB Video/Mp3 player.

popch
December 16th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Currently, I use an iPod with 20GB. It is nearly full and I would like to use it with a higher bit rate. I have only material on it where I have bought or inherited the media.

I do not use the ear buds supplied with the thing, but the Koss portapro. That makes quite a difference.

Seibikitei
December 17th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Figured I would contribute some useful information here. I recently bought a Creative Zen (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=16999), the new credit card sized player, mine being the 8gb. (Annoying that its just the Zen when you're trying to look up support) Great form factor, nice controls, and a very nice screen for its size, unfortunately there's no easy way to get it working with Linux at the moment. Amarok, Rhythmbox, and Gnomad don't recognize it as a media player and it doesn't even pop up as a USB storage device in Gutsy. I plan on returning mine (bought it on impulse) so I can't swear that you absolutely can't get them to work but right now there's no easy Linux support for the thing which is unfortunate because its a sweet little device.

As for players that I currently use, I have an old school mono-chrome 40gb ipod, a new school ipod shuffle that I use for working out, and a rockboxed iAudio X5. Cowon makes a great product but sometimes I wonder how much research goes into their user controls for their devices... the little stub of a joystick on the X5 is definitely not my preferred method of navigation. Though I love the build quality, you don't feel like you have to baby it and keep it swaddled in a $40 case just to keep it from getting a scratch like the ipods.

If anyone has gotten the new Zens to work with Linux I'd be interested in knowing the procedure.

money2themax
December 17th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I Use An iPod [after my Phillips CD player got stolen and i switched to a siren then it broke after a long life and then i tried a zune it sucked so i returned it for an iPod next up an Arcos 605 WiFi]

99bluefoxx
December 18th, 2007, 07:54 PM
my sandisk sdmx1 died in agust after 2 years of heavy use, i just got a e260 $99.99 on sale at future shop
works greak, loving it, just wish i could load videos onto it under linux, i cant afford the winblows version i want to get

Lorac1949
January 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/compare/search

Here is a link to a site that allows you to compare them side by side. It is good to compare features and such

Good web site. I've been trying to find out if the SanDisk Sansa e280 plays .ogg files. One reference I found says that the SanDisk Sansa e200 series plays ogg. However, when I look at the 280, I don't see ogg mentioned in the list of formats. I'll keep looking.

Robertjm
January 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM
The e280 IS a member of the e200 series. The caveat I have is whether they've removed ogg between v1 and v2 of the player. Don't know the answer.

Robert

Good web site. I've been trying to find out if the SanDisk Sansa e280 plays .ogg files. One reference I found says that the SanDisk Sansa e200 series plays ogg. However, when I look at the 280, I don't see ogg mentioned in the list of formats. I'll keep looking.

Lorac1949
January 5th, 2008, 08:23 PM
The e280 IS a member of the e200 series. The caveat I have is whether they've removed ogg between v1 and v2 of the player. Don't know the answer.

Robert

I found a post that said v2 (of the Sansa e200s) no longer supports ogg. I'm now researching the Sony NWZ-A618. I've seen some good reviews, but I need to confirm the ability to play ogg.

sugarland2k
January 7th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I use a the Sansa e240 with a 2GB MicroSD card, I also use (open Source) RockBox and it works great! I can even play micro Doom on the Sansa ;)

RockBox supports Ogg files and other open formats! Check out
http://www.rockbox.org/

Open Source Rules! :)

sugarland2k
January 7th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Open Source always rules! Now if I could get my CD player in my truck to play Ogg files (next hardware upgrade)

Billy

zipperback
January 7th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I have a Creative MuVo v100 1GB mp3 player.

It's only 1GB and they make larger ones now, I've had it for a few years now without any major problems.

I like this one because I just plug it into a usb port and I can drag and drop my mp3 files on to it. In addition, it works great as a usb flash drive for file storage too.

It only supports mp3 file format for music.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

rheywood
January 7th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Sony HD5 here. Had it since 2005 and its been a really good little player holding 30gb, lasted longer than my iPod (failed after a year). Only problem is that it can't be used on linux as far as I can tell.

Robertjm
January 8th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Give me about 10 minutes and I'll let you know!! Just about ready to hook mine up to Amarok.

Robert

I found a post that said v2 (of the Sansa e200s) no longer supports ogg. I'm now researching the Sony NWZ-A618. I've seen some good reviews, but I need to confirm the ability to play ogg.

Robertjm
January 11th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Sorry it took a wee bit more than 10 minutes to respond. There were a whole slew of updates for Hardy that I loaded and they gave me the proverbial ATI White Screen of Death in Gnome.

Using Amarok I tried to load an .ogg file to my Sony player. It choked like a horse and wouldn't even let me transfer the file!!

Next I did the old tried and true Drag & Drop. After doing that I went into the music files and it wasn't listed. I finally found it under the Folders view, however, when I tried opening the folder I got an error msg that there were no musical tracks to play.

To the best of my knowledge there are no firmware upgrades for the Sony player that would allow .ogg playback. Not OEM, nor Rockbox.

Wish I had better news for you. Its still a really nice player though! I'm glad I bought mine. I had considered the iRiver Clix2, but I gave the nod to the Sony player since I could actually see and play with it at the Sony-style store in San Francisco. iRiver is only mail order.

You said NWZ-a618. I'm not familiar with that model. The "A" series is the 800 line (ex: NWZ-a818). Not sure about that line if that's what you're talking about, but I tend to think that if the s618 doesn't play .ogg, their other model probably won't either. :-(

Later,

Robert

Aetherius
January 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Just got my Clix2 today and by the power of grayskull it is beautiful!!

went for the 8gb since it wasn't that much more than the 4. worked immediately as it came formatted for UMS, the music DB on it needs to be updated after transfer as none of my music apps will update it when using UMS.

Other than that, its better than perfect.

The screen is insanely gorgeous, you really have to see it :)

Aeth

mr.propre
January 11th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I have an acer, but is really old but still works. Next one will probably a scandisk.

TheOrangePeanut
January 11th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I've got an 80GB Ipod Classic, and once I got it working with Amarok I've loved it.

Robertjm
January 11th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Aetherius:

You say none of your apps will work with UMS. Are you using Amarok at all? That should've been able to work with UMS straight out of the box.

Robert

money2themax
January 11th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Other (Please specify) http://ubuntuforums.org/images/uf/polls/bar5-l.gifhttp://ubuntuforums.org/images/uf/polls/bar5.gifhttp://ubuntuforums.org/images/uf/polls/bar5-r.gif 42 14.63%
the answer to life the universe and everything + other MP3 players = 42

:lolflag:

i'm updating my rockboxed iPod today yay

escobar_
January 11th, 2008, 11:55 PM
30 GB White 5th generation iPod Video.

That + Amarok = love.

money2themax
January 12th, 2008, 01:27 AM
30 GB White 5th generation iPod Video.

That + Amarok = love.

me and you not only have the same iPod but we think exactly the same [ok mine a 5.5G 30GB]

Rutabega
January 13th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Cowon iAudio. Has met all my requirements for a portable audio player.

wana10
January 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM
i've got a cowon a2 and i love it. great codec support, great battery life(10 hours of video!), and linux looks at it like any other external drive so i can just copy over files without any hassle.

bufsabre666
January 13th, 2008, 12:35 PM
samsun sch-u540 + 512mb micro sd card

my phone has good enough sound quality so i use it

i just wish i had a blue tooth head set for it

Jeffery Mewtamer
May 1st, 2008, 01:04 AM
I own a Rio Karma, but it is currently unusable as it has no music loaded. I hope to get it working with Hardy in the near future though. I think I have all the necessary software installed properly, but I cannot make heads or tails of how the riocp command works.

MaindotC
May 1st, 2008, 01:08 AM
I'm hoping that someday Torian Wireless will stop teasing us and finally release their product. Outdoes everything.

bigfox
May 13th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I have a Meizu M6SL

It works very well with linux as it supports both OGG and FLAC

Rhythmbox in 8.04 gets along with it perfectly, and if you prefer, you can just put the music in the Music folder on the player.

Even firmware updates can be preformed under Linux. Just put 2 files on the root of the players drive and when it turns on it finds them and preforms the update by itself.

days_of_ruin
May 13th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I don't have a sandisk player yet, but am getting one soon, so I put sandisk
anyway:)

Barrucadu
May 13th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I have my imagination, and a very good memory. if I have heard a song a few dozen times, I seem to have near perfect recollection of it :)

Now, if only I could manage that feat with what I need to know for my imminent exams...

will1911a1
May 13th, 2008, 10:47 PM
My cell phone can play mp3s. I usually just listen to that...

My wife's new phone works with stereo bluetooth headphones which is wicked cool.

money2themax
May 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM
My cell phone can play mp3s. I usually just listen to that...

My wife's new phone works with stereo bluetooth headphones which is wicked cool.
i worry about those things having a bluetooth headset [which emits a wireless signal could eventually cause cancer]

will1911a1
May 13th, 2008, 11:04 PM
i worry about those things having a bluetooth headset [which emits a wireless signal could eventually cause cancer]

Eh, I figure there's enough wireless signals floating around that if they're gonna give us cancer we're boned anyway.

money2themax
May 13th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Eh, I figure there's enough wireless signals floating around that if they're gonna give us cancer we're boned anyway.
well it's only if it's close to you the signals weaken over long distances

drascus
May 13th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I have sirius stilleto 2 I like it because I don't need to hook it up to my computer for it to function necessarily. I can just save the songs I hear on sirius. Although I find it unfortunate that it uses DRM technology I know how to get around that.

ODF
May 14th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Ipod touch since it's out.

money2themax
May 14th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Ipod touch since it's out.
doesn't that have problems linking up with linux?

Compucore
May 14th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I just recently bought a zen from Creative over here with 4 gigs built into it as well a slot for the sd cards that I can plug into it from creative. It is a nice little device. I am looking forward to conntecting it through linux soon enough. I have found a program elsewhere that was note that it would be able to connect to my linux partition. :)

Compucore

AmishFury
May 14th, 2008, 05:04 AM
poll really should have been of the "check all that apply" type

i have an iriver ifp-895 (non-ums firmware)
and a sandisk m240

haven't tested either with linux yet

Flash858
May 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Ditto the above post. I have several as well. I have a Zune 80 that is my primary media player, a Zune 8 I use at the gym, and 2 old players: A Sansa M230 I still use occasionally, and I may be the last owner of a Creative Nomad IIc. It actually uses Smart Media cards! LOL... I think I was wearing a Members Only jacket when I bought it in the late 18th century...
If the Zunes worked in Ubuntu, I would get rid of Windows completely...

money2themax
June 4th, 2008, 02:03 AM
i just picked it up

Archos 605 WiFi

roachk71
June 4th, 2008, 04:22 AM
My MP3 player is a SanDisk Sansa Clip (2GB). Kubuntu's support for it is excellent, both in Dolphin and Amarok.

Now, 2GB may not seem to be enough for most music lovers, but at least I didn't have to pay hundreds of dollars for it. :razz:

iPods are amazing pieces of hardware, but flash devices aren't as susceptible to mechanical shock as are hard drives...

money2themax
June 4th, 2008, 07:07 AM
My MP3 player is a SanDisk Sansa Clip (2GB). Kubuntu's support for it is excellent, both in Dolphin and Amarok.

Now, 2GB may not seem to be enough for most music lovers, but at least I didn't have to pay hundreds of dollars for it. :razz:

iPods are amazing pieces of hardware, but flash devices aren't as susceptible to mechanical shock as are hard drives...
i have to agree with everything you just said

zxscooby
June 4th, 2008, 08:43 AM
does a car radio count?

jbaerbock
June 5th, 2008, 08:11 AM
IPod here though next might be a normal HDD like Sansa (This one is a 5th gen video)

BOBSONATOR
June 5th, 2008, 08:17 AM
i dont have one! (thats crazy for the amount of music i listen to!)

barbedsaber
June 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM
LG FM 33, 4 Gigabyte version. Nice LCD screen, with great quality, ogg vorbis support, and works like a flash drive. I would love it that much better if you could get video's on it with linux, but it only supports video if you transfer it with the crappy software that comes with it, and that does not play nice with wine.

HunterThomson
June 5th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Samsung YPU3. But thinking about gettinga COWON iAudio 7 do to the review in "LINUX Journal" Mag. June 2008

jespdj
June 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Until recently I used a Sandisk Sansa c250, but I now got an Apple iPod Nano (3rd gen) with 8 GB memory.

I mainly use my MP3 player for listening to podcasts. I hesitated buying the iPod, because my Sansa player worked adequately. But I absolutely do not regret getting the iPod - it is much easier to use for podcasts than the Sansa.

The iPod, for example, keeps track of which episodes I've already listened to, and iTunes automatically deletes those. Also, with the Sansa, I often had to edit MP3 tags manually because many podcast distributors don't set the album, title, artist etc. in the MP3 files correctly. I don't have to do that with iTunes anymore.

The iPod also works with Ubuntu (Rhythmbox pops up when I connect it), but I'm using iTunes on Windows Vista at the moment for the iPod. It would be nice if Apple made an iTunes for Linux...

Oh yes, and the iPod Nano plays video too, which the Sansa doesn't.

D.Sync
June 5th, 2008, 10:39 AM
iPod Classic 160GB Silver White user here.

Been thinking to choose iPod Touch initially but iPod Classic sheer size amused me!

angry_johnnie
June 5th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I have an old, 15 Gb, black and white iPod. The battery is beginning to die, and I'm beginning to hate it... so I just use my telephone now. :-)

Nessa
June 5th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I have an iPod but it stays home. I use my walkman phone Sony Ericsson w810i.

money2themax
June 5th, 2008, 03:54 PM
i wonder if roxbox will work on my archos 605 WiFi

and does anyone knoe anything about the GPS feature on the Archos?

bth73
March 8th, 2012, 07:31 AM
DMC XCLEF 80gb. Bought 30 days after it first came out sometime in 2004 I think. Toshiba hd finally going bad after about 45000 hours. I was able to pull the system files off and transferred to another HD. The batteries still last about 7-8 hours. Great mp3 player, drag and drop, records, and FM.

Jezzze
March 8th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Bought a Zen X-Fi 2 some months ago. Like it, although the touch screen is not of super quality, but it works sufficiently. For the price I can definitely not complain though.

http://images.europe.creative.com/images/products/large/18965_1.png

Swagman
March 8th, 2012, 11:34 AM
My portable music player is a guitar !!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2168/1625734937_4b8eccf9dc_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10923285@N07/1625734937/)
Toys (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10923285@N07/1625734937/)

chickenPie4breakfast
March 8th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I had a sandisk sansa - tended to crash and then stops working altogether. Then tried another famous make - broke just after a year so no guarantee- I looked around for another. The thing I hate about all the well known brands - the players all use special types of battery. I just wanted a standard AA or AAA so it would be cheap to replace and carry a spare around. It was difficult to find anything that would use a standard battery - in the end I just bought an ALBA!!! guess what I am happy with it and it has easily outlasted the other makes and the battery lasts ages.

soryu
March 30th, 2012, 01:19 AM
n7 player in atrix

Retlol
March 30th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I don't have a portable audio player. My phone has the feature but it's never been used.

Used to have a Zen Stone in my collage days to make the train rides less boring but don't have a use for something like that anymore.

aura7
March 30th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Apple iPod Shuffle....

cbennett926
March 31st, 2012, 03:22 AM
Zune HD 16gig

tehchibipanda
March 31st, 2012, 04:28 AM
I actually just use my cell phone. I mean, android powered phones can do nearly anything. 32gb micro SD card + Android stock music player = happy me!

mamamia88
March 31st, 2012, 05:59 AM
I actually just use my cell phone. I mean, android powered phones can do nearly anything. 32gb micro SD card + Android stock music player = happy me!

I use my phone (inspire 4g) for podcasts but rarerly use it for music unless i run out of podcasts and didn't bring my mp3 player. I always use a dedicated player while driving. I can navigate to a song I want much quicker at a stop light on my walkman. Also check out poweramp it's awesome. I also have a clip+ and clip zip both rockboxed that i will use occasionaly

linuxyogi
March 31st, 2012, 02:54 PM
I own a Transcend T Sonic 650 (http://archive.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=85578&cat_id=615)

stanbx
April 2nd, 2012, 02:08 AM
I have a creative zen 32gb and I love it.

madoshwa
October 26th, 2012, 07:10 AM
creative zen nomad jukebox 30g. got it off a buddy of mine that toured iraq 4 times, and then it came here and has spent several cold winters with me. this thing is amazing :D

gyyug78fg87ogguiioioioioi
November 20th, 2012, 03:00 PM
right now i have a Creative zen touch 20 gb that i bought ages ago and i have just started to used it because i lost the power cable very early when i first bought it, it was ben laying at my fathers house for ages and some weeks ago i came there with my other creative zen v 2 gb and tried the power cable to the zen touch and it worked :D crazy that i paid like £260 when it was new and just used it a few weeks lol and it ben just laying there all the time.... i also have 2 other players that looks like a usb pen with around 1 gb's that ive ben using all years while the creative zen touch just ben laying around untouch'd :( ive also owned ipod touch and iphone 4s for some weeks but i sold the ipod and i got arrested of the iphone 4s and the police confiscated that one lol.

cant be many money the creative zen touch is worth nowadays so i should start using that one finnaly now:D

Uncle Spellbinder
November 20th, 2012, 03:41 PM
None. I never use 'em. I prefer my music real, from the speakers. Enveloping the room, not me head. I've always hated headphones.

mamamia88
November 20th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Sony e475 is my main player and i also use a rockboxed fuze on occasion.

Jakin
November 20th, 2012, 08:07 PM
(first gen)Zune 30GB, Zune HD 32GB (being my favorites)
(3rd Gen) iPod touch 16gb.
Nokia n810 (which is more than a player but mostly what i use it for now).

KiwiNZ
November 20th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I prefer my home audio system but if I want music out and about I just use my Galaxy S3