PDA

View Full Version : Should I be really using KDE?

akiratheoni
November 25th, 2007, 05:45 AM
It's weird. I used to use GNOME for the longest time, then I made the switch to KDE.

With the exception of Amarok, I use NO KDE applications... only the desktop environment.

I use Gedit, not Kate, I use Nautilus, not Konqueror, I use gnome-terminal, not Konsole.

I only use KDE because I like the fact I can customize the desktop to how I like it; I feel kind of restricted on GNOME.

So, is this a really odd case of using KDE? Or is what I'm doing common?

loell
November 25th, 2007, 05:48 AM
its an odd case you bet. But hey, whatever ticks you. :)

use it the way you want it.

-grubby
November 25th, 2007, 05:48 AM
that's just it! Freedom to do what you want to

Luigi239
November 25th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Kde apps drive me Krazy. Every single app begins with the letter K. I Kouldn't take it, and that is why I do not use KDE.

On topic, as long as it works for you, go for it.

linux noooob
November 25th, 2007, 06:11 AM
thats is what linux was made for customization and freedom for the user!

ticopelp
November 25th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Use whatever works for you. I work in GNOME because I like the desktop environment and the interface, but K3b and Amarok are great programs, and I use them all the time.

akiratheoni
November 25th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Kde apps drive me Krazy. Every single app begins with the letter K. I Kouldn't take it, and that is why I do not use KDE.

Heh, that's one reason why I use GNOME apps, not KDE apps :-P Other than Amarok, which is probably the best KDE app from what I've tried.

fuscia
November 25th, 2007, 06:52 AM
i don't think it's weird. have you tried just using a plain window manager, or xfce? (not saying you should, just curious.)

akiratheoni
November 25th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Yeah, I've tried out fluxbox and xfce, but I prefer KDE over any other environment (except for the apps!)

LaRoza
November 25th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I use Fluxbox, but like QT and GTK apps.

I like being free.

the yawner
November 25th, 2007, 07:55 AM

On the short interval I tried Kubuntu exclusively, I just opted to have the menus display the app desKriptions rather than the name. The rampant use of K becomes Konfusing when you're scanning the menus looKing for some specifiK program. It's too prominent.

undine
November 25th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I've tried to give KDE a try a few times myself, and even used it quite extensively early on in my Ubuntu experience, and found that I kept resorting to Gnome apps as well. Even Amarok doesn't really grab me, and I much prefer Rhythmbox, so about the only KDE app I used was Kword which I think is much better in some respects than Open-Office. Given all that, I couldn't really see any point to using the KDE anymore, but that's not to say that you shouldn't or that it's weird.

bailout
November 25th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Well, you are much better using gnome apps in kde than kde apps in gnome because of the control kde gives over setting how they show. Although why anyone would prefer gnome apps to kde ones??? :D I can't understand how anyone would actually choose to use Nautilus! I use kde because after trying both I much prefered kde apps, the de itself doesn't really make much differenc to me tbh.

dips_xe
November 25th, 2007, 11:02 AM
that's weird, i hate the kde environment. it is very flashy and tacky looking. rather, i like the apps, but i'm upset i can't use them because i don't want all the kdelibs on my clean xubuntu :) kde gets all the best apps, ktorrent, k3b, amarok, all sorts of other krazy stuff..

epimer
November 25th, 2007, 12:26 PM
It's not too odd, but could you perhaps (if it's bothering you) try to customise the native KDE apps into behaving like the Gnome apps you like? For example, I can't think of anything Nautilus can do which Konqueror can't, and Dolphin (search D3lphin in the repos for a more KDE 3.x-friendly version) is pretty close to Nautilus in terms of looks and functionality.

I ran into some of the same hurdles when I switched over to KDE from Gnome, but found that some of the greatest assets of the KDE apps is that they can be tweaked to behave however you like, and this went a long way to easing the transition.

But hey, if you just love those Gnome apps too much, you're still free to carry on as you are. Choice is good.

NightCrawler03X
November 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM
No, you shouldn't use KDE.
It's worthless crap, it takes up resources and things are really slow on it. It's also quite unstable sometimes.

If you're stuck using a peice of software for kde, you should ask the developers of that software to make one that works natively in xce, rather than using kde libs in say, an xfce desktop and having a program that looks completely different from teh other ones oyu're running.

I suggest you either use Xfce or Enlightenment

kellemes
November 25th, 2007, 12:36 PM
It's worthless crap, it takes up resources and things are really slow on it. It's also quite unstable sometimes.

If you're stuck using a peice of software for kde, you should ask the developers of that software to make one that works natively in xce, rather than using kde libs in say, an xfce desktop and having a program that looks completely different from teh other ones oyu're running.

Realy don't see the need for a post like this.. It's not founded, not interesting and you're not helping others at all.

Amorphous_Snake
November 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
It's the opposite case with me. I don't really prefer KDE, but the problem is that most of the good apps are on KDE. When using Gnome, I find myself using K3B, Ktorrent, SMPlayer and Amarok. Their Gnome counter-parts are not that great. But I prefer Gnome to KDE in looks and usability. And some tools are better in Gnome than in KDE like the System Monitor. Also Gedit is great.

eljoeb
November 25th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I thought there was some sort of performance issue when running KDE apps in Gnome and vice versa. Startup started taking a while after I had both DE's on my computer. It could have been something else though. I guess if performance is an issue (and my experience is actually caused by that and not operator error) it may be better to exclusively use one DE.

loell
November 25th, 2007, 12:50 PM

you cut the good aura of the thread , by making comments like this, you should read the first post, not just the thread title , before making a post or comment.

Schalken
November 25th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I use KDE along with a lot of GNOME apps, too. I use GIMP, Inkscape, Pidgin, Firefox, Tomboy and a bunch of others.

But then again I use a lot more KDE apps than GNOME ones, like KATE, Quanta, Konversation, Konqueror, Amarok, KTorrent and esp. the Kontact package.

I really use whatever gets the job done best, from either desktop. So no, your case is not odd. If the KDE environment suits your needs while KDE applications do not, use KDE with GNOME apps.

The only technical speed bump is that to mix usage of both you need to have both the libraries and frameworks loaded into memory, which can make load times longer for apps freshly loaded in their non-native environment, increase memory usage slightly and make the system overall slightly inefficient. I however, consider that a small price to pay to get the best of both worlds. :D

That was unecessary and highly subjective. I have all three environments installed and each run fine. I personally prefer KDE mostly because I like it and it's very snappy.

Wesseli
November 25th, 2007, 01:33 PM
On the short interval I tried Kubuntu exclusively, I just opted to have the menus display the app desKriptions rather than the name. The rampant use of K becomes Konfusing when you're scanning the menus looKing for some specifiK program. It's too prominent.

I agree. This is confusing and the reason why I ditched KDE (again) after I gave it a spin. It is generally really annoying to put K letter in everywhere. But, someone likes it. I don't.

stimpack
November 25th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Can someone recommend a good KDE distro with a lively forum without a bunch of idiots who make a thread that was answered in the first 3 posts into a rambling flamebait about personal use and naming conventions?.

This is beyond tiresome is just plain annoying now, I think I want to move on.

Incense
November 25th, 2007, 02:42 PM
It's weird. I used to use GNOME for the longest time, then I made the switch to KDE.

With the exception of Amarok, I use NO KDE applications... only the desktop environment.

I use Gedit, not Kate, I use Nautilus, not Konqueror, I use gnome-terminal, not Konsole.

I only use KDE because I like the fact I can customize the desktop to how I like it; I feel kind of restricted on GNOME.

So, is this a really odd case of using KDE? Or is what I'm doing common?

The beauty of freedom right? GTK apps run very nicely in KDE, so if you want to use them then go nuts! I have a feeling though that given time, you'll see just how nice KDE apps really are. I used to use Gedit in KDE also. then I gave KATE a real try and found that the syntax highlighting is much better, and I really like the line highlighting. Konqueror has amazing intregration with other KDE apps (something I miss in dolphin)... anyway, I'm not going to try and konvert ;) you. Use what works for you! I don't doubt that a lot of people will be doing what you're doing when KDE4 comes out. Useing the beautiful new DE, with all the apps they know and love.

fuscia
November 25th, 2007, 03:26 PM

good point. no one has a better history of stability than e17.

the yawner
November 26th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Can someone recommend a good KDE distro with a lively forum without a bunch of idiots who make a thread that was answered in the first 3 posts into a rambling flamebait about personal use and naming conventions?.

This is beyond tiresome is just plain annoying now, I think I want to move on.
I'm sorry, but how is it that my complaint on the naming convention is a rambling flamebait? Just to clarify, I stopped using KDE not because of the names (because it is possible to change the displayed names on the menu into just their descriptions), but due to Kubuntu's playing catch-up with what Ubuntu already has to offer. That, and a noticeable slow down on an old Thinkpad.

But still, I stand on my preference. The K has to be subdued, if not totally removed. It's not kool anymore. Meanwhile, amarok is a good choice for a name.

Andrewie
November 26th, 2007, 04:47 AM
you can try out KDE apps if you want, but no reason to use them. Enjoy KDE